The Daily for Saturday Jan 2, 2021

richwmn

7 hours ago, Himself said:

Roy

With the sail of four ships and a few Masters of Vessels going back to Staff Captain, I think Sabine promotion to Master might be a little more in the distance than was thought previously

I'm still optimistic.  With Rotterdam joining the fleet the shrinkage is only 3 ships, and we've already had Captain Jonathan retire.  I expect by March there may be a few more retirements or Captains who have moved on.

Roy

• Like 7

A few random observations.  I'm sorry for anyone who might feel slighted by omission from today's shoutouts, but we have so many different patterns it was really hard to choose.  A case in point is @Av8rix who I was about to list as an occasional poster but she's posted quite frequently in both July and December.  Kudos to everyone who makes this the friendliest thread on Cruise Critic. 

My Christmas lights came down today.  I might have waited but it will rain tomorrow and it was nice enough today that I both got the lights down and had breakfast at my outdoor table at Panera.

I'm normally pretty casual about wearing a mask around my house but there were a number of cars parked on the block yesterday when I returned from shopping (new winter coat)  so I need to be extra careful.

Have a wonderful evening.

Roy

• Like 14

5 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Welcome & a big Hello to Houdini.  Does he live up to his name?

Yes, we rescued him in March and took him in our RV, from Glacier NP to Corpus Christie TX.  Only to come home and have him “escape” for a couple of weeks.  We were very lucky that he finally climbed into the live trap on Christmas Eve morning, in the SNOW!  Best Christmas present EVER to get him back!

• Like 14

Good evening all..I hope everyone had a great day.

I celebrate Happy Mew Year every day. 
The “angelic chorus “ starts around 5 am and continues thru the day.

@sprinkles  I also have a Houdini that lives up to his namesake. He did escape several years ago and came back about a week later.  I totally understand what you mean about best present ever.

B806AF90-82C8-46F7-947A-39555BF7ECBB.jpeg

• Like 11

5 minutes ago, kazu said:

Lola is the Siamese?  Reminds me of my Chico.  Very pretty cats, Edie 😄 

Actually, they are both Siamese! Thumper is a Snowshoe Siamese, which we had never heard of before we met him. Typical Siamese -- very vocal. Lola is our shy girl.

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, NextOne said:

Actually, they are both Siamese! Thumper is a Snowshoe Siamese, which we had never heard of before we met him. Typical Siamese -- very vocal. Lola is our shy girl.

Oh my heavens.  I’ve never heard of a Snowshoe Siamese either.  I’m going to have to look that one up.  Fascinating!!!

Thumper’s colouring looks like a tortie point.

A shy Siamese is hard to find and can be a blessing.  My 4 weren’t that loud but they certainly weren’t shy 😉 

Wow - Thumper looks like a fabulous breed - https://cats.lovetoknow.com/Snowshoe_Siamese

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Ichiban Nekko said:

We don't have fur babies now. We were servants to our cute little feline for years. However, after I had to take her to the vet for the Last Time, I knew I couldn't go through that again. And we were traveling just enough that it wouldn't be fair to welcome any fur baby to the family.

I was exactly the same way.  It took me 5 years to even be able to think of getting another cat, but by then we had retired and were traveling more often and for longer periods.  So for now we are pet-less, but not forever I know. 

• Like 9

8 hours ago, Himself said:

Roy

With the sail of four ships and a few Masters of Vessels going back to Staff Captain, I think Sabine promotion to Master might be a little more in the distance than was thought previously

Hi Father; me thinks you're right on with your prediction re: Sabine but her time will eventually come 

When the pandemic originating from China hit last spring, HAL had 31 captains working sea assignments, i.e. fourteen ships = 28 captains, plus three extras/floaters. Three of those 34 captains were promoted as recent as 2019. In addition, there are two HAL captains at Seabourne, plus another fourteen with shore assignments/riding a desk

HAL then sold four ships which means eight out of those 34 captains suddenly no longer had an assignment. So far, only Captain Mercer has retired in May 2020. Before him, Capt. John Scott retired in February 2020 and Capt. Marco Carsjens left HAL for Virgin in Oct 2019. HAL has only Rotterdam VI - so two captains - joining the fleet in 2021. I have not, as of yet, heard of any captains taking the step back down to staff captain 

You can do the math; 33 captains for (with Rottie VI) eleven ships 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I read the daily this morning with just 2 pages but had a lot of catching up this evening.  I enjoyed the travelogues, they fill a desire to travel.  No fur babies here.  Outdoor Christmas displays are down and stored, thanks to my dh.  Reimagined leftovers this evening.  Thank you for the thread 

• Like 11

All the photos of adorable cats have brought this lurker out of hiding. I have Siamese cats just like Thumper and Lola. Maximum cruise length is 2 weeks; any longer and they become depressed. 
This is a very enjoyable thread, always “safe” and covering many topics in a single day. I am right in there with everyone wanting to board a blue-hulled beauty. I have sailed Carnival, Celebrity, and Cunard besides HAL, but HAL is by far my favorite. Hope cruising becomes possible this year.

Thanks to all for making the Daily special. 

• Like 11

11 hours ago, 65 Gator said:

Good Morning Dailyites...

Had a Zoom meeting with the hospital and decided to use a photo from one of our Alaska cruises as a backdrop.  I think it is much better than showing a cluttered living room...  Was well received...

278888520_zoomscreenshot1.thumb.png.bbc814ab81f71ab2be8bb96872907afa.png

Ready for tonight's feast of tenderloin steaks, skillet potatoes and a veggie of some sort.

Unfortunately our cat passed over the rainbow bridge last week so we will enjoy your cats with you...

Sorry to hear about your loss, Leon! Nice pic of you

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, Seahorse99 said:

All the photos of adorable cats have brought this lurker out of hiding. I have Siamese cats just like Thumper and Lola. Maximum cruise length is 2 weeks; any longer and they become depressed. 
This is a very enjoyable thread, always “safe” and covering many topics in a single day. I am right in there with everyone wanting to board a blue-hulled beauty. I have sailed Carnival, Celebrity, and Cunard besides HAL, but HAL is by far my favorite. Hope cruising becomes possible this year.

Glad to see you posting.  Welcome to the Daily 🙂 

This is a good community thread and always safe so please join in and post more often 🙂 

• Like 5

Another banner day for the Daily. Thanks to everyone for posting, particularly the first time or occasional posters. I'm glad that everyone keeps this positive.

Today we are well over 2k posts and this is post #145, and there is still a long time before the end of the day.

• Like 10

We did some errands this morning, and drove through the Blenkinsop valley on the way into town.  It is an interesting part of the agricultural reserve, mainly farms, garden centres, golf course, etc.  The farmers' fields are flooded and the birds are having a wonderful time in the rain, ducks, Canada geese, even some swans.  

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

You know I'm a former cop and you mention donuts??...............................🤣

Cops & Donuts Art Print Personalized Police Coffee Shop Wall Decor Officer  Gift | eBay

These Cops Are Owning up to the Donut Stereotype

So I know it’s not in your backyard, but have you ever had a donut from Doughnut Man in Glendora? They are famous for their fresh strawberry doughnuts ( which should be available soon.) Also, for a brief period around August, fresh peach. They are on Route 66. It’s well worth the drive. We often encountered BIOLA (school rivals) students there around midnight. 

When I was in college there wasn’t a student that didn’t know the doughnut schedule. We’d pile into whoever’s car was available. That was when seatbelts were optional. We got something like 7 or 8 in my roommates VW bug. The local motorcycle cop had a reserved parking place next to the side door. ( That’s gone now- a new world today).

Back in the 80s it was called Fosters, and the owner came up with these original recipes. The business was featured on Huel Howser many years ago. 

http://www.thedonutmanca.com

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 8

back again to say I just loved all of the pretty cats , thanks for sharing.  I’m planning on getting our dog Dillie  ( well her formal name is Shareabs Bailey Dylis of Rocky Hill) only because the breeders insists you register with AKC but we call her dillie bean mostly, groomed soon and I’ll get my IT guy to put a picture on here. (that’s my dh).  sorry about the run on sentence. Absolutely find all the travel pictures wonderful, now stop giving me so many places to make plans for..  Everyone please be safe  hopefully we will soon be on the beautiful sea again.   linda

• Like 12

2 hours ago, Seahorse99 said:

Hello & welcome!

• Like 3