The Daily for Saturday Jan 2, 2021

richwmn

today is Fruitcake Toss Day, Happy Mew Year for Cats Day, and National Buffet Day

To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk.
        -- Thomas Edison

Meal suggestion for today - Toasted Ravioli

Drink of the Day - Milk & Honey

Wine of the day - Marchesi di Barolo Barbera del Monferrato Maraia vintage 2017

At Sea Atlantic
Eurodam destination Southampton eta 1/6
Oosterdam destination Southampton eta 1/5

Stirrup Cay Anchoragec
Nieuw Statendan

at Sea Pacific
Koningsdam off San Diego
Nieuw Amsterdam off San Diego
Noordam destination Los Angeles eta 1/1
Westerdam off San Diego
Zuiderdam off Los Angeles

Torquay
Volendam
Zaandam

0102Atlantic.png

0102Pacific.png

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

Welcome home and thank you for the daily, Rich.  No tossing fruit cakes for me, they'll be fully consumed.  It's been a tough 9 months for buffets.  I'll bet your cats are mewing quite happily with you back.  I like both the quote and the meal.  My alternative is Chilled Anjou Pear Soup, Parmesan Crusted Turkey Tenderloin and Tiramisu as se  rved on MS Ryndam January 2, 2015. 

Today's care list:

Mrs Vmax with radiation looming

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

NextOne DH with Renal Cancer

Recovery for Live4Cruises

St. Louis Sal’s and Cruising-along’s friends

mamaofami’s SIL

HAL (and other crews)

California Hospitals

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Occasional posters including wandb, BobbiSox, llbz327, GeorgesGal, sailingdutchy, Mtn2Sea, Red Haired Lady, Cruisepucks, luvteachibg, and ernieb
Welcome aboard doobieb, surfcitygirl, jodi58, Clippy-Joe, Cruisin Two, Suslor, bakcd, zigdelcru, Lady Hudson, and Sir PMP

Welcome to the Daily and to Cruise Critic posting Aibergebleu

Teachers and school workers, especially StLouisCruiser’s DD

Front Line Health Care Workers

Customers of a Tim Hortons in Vaughan, Ontario (Thanks @bdrcole)

Host Kat

My brother getting a new pain prescription that allows him to walk more

Happy Birthday Sam (mamaofami’s DH)

Welcome Home, Rich

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it) 

I have a very busy early morning but will be back later today.          

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 2

Wake up sleepyheads!  Hopefully everyone is off to a good start to the new year.

Toss the fruit cake works for me.  I have tried to like it and failed. Buffets may need a little love as they have been put on hold in most cases since March.

• Like 13

Good morning.  No fruitcake here to toss, Buffets are open here but for take out only.  Happy Mew Year to my furry friend.  Great quote and we are having Ravioli for dinner tonight.  Picked the right day to make it. Roy, you are great at keeping up with the new posters.  And, Rich, thank you as always for our great daily!  Prayers and shout-outs to everyone.  Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Milk & Honey:

Ingredients

• 1 3/4 ounces Bénédictine
  • Milk, chilled, to top
  • Garnish: orange slice
  • Garnish: cinnamon stick

Screen Shot 2021-01-02 at 7.06.47 AM.png

IMG_0045.jpeg

• Like 21

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

No fruitcake to toss.  I didn’t make one this year 😢 If I had, it would be kept if there was any left 😉 

I’ll happily join all the cat lovers celebrating Happy Mew Day and sadly, no buffets are on our horizon for some time to come.

DAD5AA30-CBA3-4ABE-9955-E49EB0643F9B.jpeg.fb9b590b32337e2c95b8793091095b80.jpeg

One more thing to celebrate today is the success of this thread 🙂. Congrats @richwmn for instilling such warmth and good will among HAL cc’ers.  Yesterday we had lots of new posters 😃 and the thread surpassed 4,000 views!!!!  

Love the quote by Thomas Edison.  I have the junk, guess I lack the imagination 😂 

I’ll pass on the meal suggestion, thanks.  Not sure what we will have tonight.  It depends on if our power holds or not.  We have a real winter storm today with snowfall and wind warnings.  

2AEE6317-9C87-4FE6-8BDB-6E35485F5C0A.gif.6215a159341c77ee9cfb1125424836af.gif

And I can see people playing their parking game later today:

33A0B92C-D3C2-4F6D-97CA-95A1FF85369F.jpeg.8b28c322c8e20821aa0fdfb0b17ef351.jpeg

My dogs want to know why they don’t have a Happy New Year Day.  I told them every day is a happy day for them but to make them feel better, here’s a dog pic:

5718BC34-389B-4D5D-AC29-5335C92B21F6.jpeg.d8223c3d739a4736169597a5b0b8041e.jpeg

At one time we had 5 cats and 2 dogs.  My big white mountain dog was their snuggle rug.  The cats curled up in his long fur, tail and mane and he washed them.  My lab put up with them but he was by no means their best friend:

E99F324B-850F-4B66-B0AD-072E716D0A6C.thumb.jpeg.8b0323d319bf37705e1e9b0fc5429d99.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list & those that need them and a huge toast to everyone on Roy’s nice, long, growing Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Saturday everyone.  Hunker down if you are in the storm’s path.  Stay safe and please don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 22
  • Haha 3

Good Morning Dailyites...

Had a Zoom meeting with the hospital and decided to use a photo from one of our Alaska cruises as a backdrop.  I think it is much better than showing a cluttered living room...  Was well received...

278888520_zoomscreenshot1.thumb.png.bbc814ab81f71ab2be8bb96872907afa.png

Ready for tonight's feast of tenderloin steaks, skillet potatoes and a veggie of some sort.

Unfortunately our cat passed over the rainbow bridge last week so we will enjoy your cats with you...

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning to everyone.  This is becoming quite the popular thread! Thank You to all and especially Rich for starting it. I dont think I have ever met any of you but I feel like we are all friends!

Off to the library this morning to take down the tree. Always fun to put up, not so much to take down!

• Like 13

Good morning Rich. Happy New Year to you, Cassie and Leo. Thank you for the Daily, which is already showing "Hot" this morning. It was wild yesterday, wasn't it?

Thanks Roy for your detail of adding new Jr. Daily-ites to our Daily.Prayers for you and hope your brother gets relief with the new meds.

Good morning sisters! and hello to all our Daily friends. Looks like we gained a bunch of new ones. Welcome!

I love Happy Mew Year!

image.jpeg.6c2cc8c34fa83956c5ecd68cf0bf67f8.jpeg

Last night Allen had his peas and corn bread. I had a tomato mozzarella salad.. we binge watched some Yellowstone episodes and that was our big New Year's day. Loved it! Our NY resolution is to wake each day and tell one another it will be the best day ever. 

Wishing you a great weekend. Stay safe, pray we all get the vaccine soon. Love ya'll!

• Like 16

9 minutes ago, 65 Gator said:

Unfortunately our cat passed over the rainbow bridge last week so we will enjoy your cats with you...

So sorry to hear this ❤️ Our furbabies are such a big part of our lives and hearts.

2A8C59E5-8672-42AA-AF6B-11D0FDD88879.png.8f3344f0a164ab24efb93c6016a906bc.png

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Wow, yesterday was a barn burner for views and responses - way to go, @richwmnand @rafinmdfor getting people together!!  Welcome to all the newcomers, and welcome back Daily-ites.

A great combination of days, although the only fruitcake tossing will be that of DH tossing it back with a cup of coffee, as he loves it.  I can take it or leave it, but he totally enjoys fruitcake.  Happy Mew Year to all kitty parents - it's nice to see people's pets on this site as well.  Buffets - wow, does anyone remember what they were like?  It seems so long ago that we actually attended one; I can't wait to be able to go and pick and choose the items I want again!

While I like both menu suggestions, today will be chicken stir fry with lots of vegetables and rice.  And wine.

Sochi is wishing everyone a healthy, happy Mew Year today:

image.jpeg.ed874263035d5cf4df14776c16e6e1ff.jpeg

Prayers for everyone who needs them, and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising our wine glasses tonight to toast all on the celebration list.  Stay safe, be well, wash your hands, and wear your mask.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 21

26 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning Rich. Happy New Year to you, Cassie and Leo. Thank you for the Daily, which is already showing "Hot" this morning. It was wild yesterday, wasn't it?

Thanks Roy for your detail of adding new Jr. Daily-ites to our Daily.Prayers for you and hope your brother gets relief with the new meds.

Good morning sisters! and hello to all our Daily friends. Looks like we gained a bunch of new ones. Welcome!

I love Happy Mew Year!

image.jpeg.6c2cc8c34fa83956c5ecd68cf0bf67f8.jpeg

Last night Allen had his peas and corn bread. I had a tomato mozzarella salad.. we binge watched some Yellowstone episodes and that was our big New Year's day. Loved it! Our NY resolution is to wake each day and tell one another it will be the best day ever. 

Wishing you a great weekend. Stay safe, pray we all get the vaccine soon. Love ya'll!

Eek I'm sorry Rich! I meant to write Callie, not Cassie! I hope she's not insulted!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Morning Rich. Look what you made happen! I hope all the folk who joined us yesterday, continue to join us - even if just to say Hi!  Thank you for today’s Daily. I believe tossing fruitcakes is a safety hazard and should NOT have its own day. Love Happy Mew Year! I will wait to celebrate Buffet Day, when I am on. Dam ship.

I will say the World Map looks interesting this morning!

Roy, thank you for the amazing list this morning!  Morning my Sisters & Dailyites! We have a red wine, but what a wine!  

Love Edison’s quote. I have the junk, just need to work on the imagination. Tonight is eggplant cutlets w/marinara sauce, roasted veggies, salad & wine. Summer how can a drink named Milk & Honey contain NO HONEY! Another great mixology mystery.

My goodness everyone is lively this morning! Love the feline family pictures. Bindi makes it impossible to have one now, but in the future I will develop better interview questions to make sure prospective canine & feline family members would all get along. Bindi tries, but she just can not purr. Jacqui, woman - you are on a roll! @65 Gator- what a great idea!

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to the many, many folk we are celebrating!

Stay well everyone!

This Piedmont, Italy wine has great ratings and a very low price - starting at 

$11.98 online. So you fans of Italian reds, start searching for this one locally. A 91 rating with an $11.98 price tag!

#50 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2019

The color is a lively and brilliant dark ruby-red. The perfume is fresh and intense with clean scents of wild berries, currants and sour black cherry. A light hint of vanilla and toasted oak. The flavor is warm and robust, full-bodied, pleasant and balanced.

This Barbera’s sensory attributes make it an outstanding accompaniment for imposing first courses and main-course, meats boiled or roasted.

WS91 Wine Spectator: A sleek, racy style, this red boasts raspberry, boysenberry, graphite and spice flavors. Balanced and focused, with lingering echoes of fruit, mineral and spice. Drink now through 2024.

• Like 16

58 minutes ago, 65 Gator said:

Good Morning Dailyites...

Had a Zoom meeting with the hospital and decided to use a photo from one of our Alaska cruises as a backdrop.  I think it is much better than showing a cluttered living room...  Was well received...

278888520_zoomscreenshot1.thumb.png.bbc814ab81f71ab2be8bb96872907afa.png

Ready for tonight's feast of tenderloin steaks, skillet potatoes and a veggie of some sort.

I am sorry to learn of your loss. Hold on to those great memories.

• Like 7

Happy January 2 everyone!  I'm not sure about the special days we are celebrating today so instead I would like to send a shout-out to my DIL for the past 20 years who is having a birthday today.  I hope she enjoys that warm Florida weather.  I know my DS will make sure she has a great birthday since he always has in the past.🥳

I am appreciating all the darling cats today that @richwmn@Seasick Sailor, and @ger_77 displayed for us.  So sorry to hear of your cat's passing @65 Gator.  I also got a chuckle out of the Zoom call backdrop.  A great idea for many of us to think about.  @rafinmdnice to see so many more celebrations and shout outs added to the list.  It was fun yesterday to see all the new posters and the view count rising so fast.  This is definitely the place to be!  

• Like 16