Dining room table for 2?

bikevegas

Sometimes it is hard to get a two person table for early dining. We are 4* Mariners.  When we started cruising we found it was hard to get a two person table for early dining, so we switched to late dining.    On our last cruise, Voyage of the Vikings in 2019, we had late dining and were seated by ourselves at a table for four.  There seemed to be plenty of open tables at late dining.   

If you do fixed seating it’s usually not a problem.  In open seating it can require a wait if you show up at peak seating time, usually 6:00-7:00.  Of course, none of us know how dining will work when cruising restarts.

1 hour ago, mamaofami said:

Our travel agent arranges it for us for fixed early dinning and we even pick our table from the map of each ship’s dinning room.

This is exactly what my husband and I do.  My PCC always puts the initial request for a two-top at time of reservation, and when we get closer to sail date she submits our specific table request.  We know that requests are never guaranteed, but we've never been disappointed.

I know that many enjoy companions at dinner but my husband and I treat our cruise dinners as date night.  We're more than happy to share tables at breakfast, but our dinners are special times for us.

Edited by msmayor

2 hours ago, mamaofami said:

Our travel agent arranges it for us for fixed early dinning and we even pick our table from the map of each ship’s dinning room.

Same here, when we book the cruise we request a table for two by it's number in the Dining Room.

Our request has always been granted.

I agree with all the previous comments but will add that if you book late you usually don’t have a choice except open dining. We prefer fixed late dining and in recent years prefer a table for two. Our last cruise, June 2019 on the Oosterdam Alaska itinerary, we booked late and got open seating. However, on the third night we were seated in the fixed seating area and lucked out. Our server said that this table was empty and we could have it the remainder of the cruise. We were thrilled. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2021 at 8:30 AM, bikevegas said:

Can you get a table for 2 when dining on HAL? Never cruised HAL and thinking of giving it a try.  Usually cruise on Princess , the wife and I really enjoy the table for 2...Thanks in advance.

We sailed on Eurodam a couple of years ago on a 7 night Mexican Riviera and did open seating.  We arrived around 6 PM and we never had a problem getting a two top.  If you are in Neptune or Pinnacle Suite we understood the Neptune Suite Concierge can sometimes call ahead and reserve for you.  We did not test this out to confirm, we did strictly walk up.

I have sailed with fixed early, fixed late and walk up and have never had an issue with getting a table for two.  I do find it much easier to used fixed dining and I request when I book. One sneaky little trick is if you walk up and request a table for two and the wait is longer than 15 minutes or so they may give you a free glass of wine. 

37 minutes ago, ScottC4746 said:

We sailed on Eurodam a couple of years ago on a 7 night Mexican Riviera and did open seating.  We arrived around 6 PM and we never had a problem getting a two top.  If you are in Neptune or Pinnacle Suite we understood the Neptune Suite Concierge can sometimes call ahead and reserve for you.  We did not test this out to confirm, we did strictly walk up.

We have the Neptune concierges do it all the time   6 or 8 cruises now. Very easy.

15 hours ago, Yodalicious said:

We always request a table for 2, we typically request the late seating, however, even we have done anytime dining, we have been able to get a table for 2

My problem with fixed seating is early I am rushed and hungry again by 8 and late seating I am chewing on the furniture by 6:15 because I am hungry by then.

We’ve never had a problem getting a table for 2 in early seating.  We always request it when we book and it’s indicated on our reservation confirmation email.  That being said, with all the new safety protocols coming into effect, we may see everyone seated only with their travelling companions.  I guess we shall how this all plays out once cruising is back.