New CDC rule

doc47

Forgive me if this topic has been discussed, but I think the new CDC directive deserves some attention. As of today, anyone entering the US needs a negative COVID test within the 3 days of entry. I just returned from Cabo, and my resort's plan is to offer in-room testing--PCR test with 2-3 day turn-around for $200 or the quick test for $35. If someone tests positive, they will need to quarantine for 14 days. This resort plans to dramatically reduce their daily rate for these folks. I wonder how this will further complicate the cruise industry. Everyone will need to be tested on-board and somehow arrangements will need to be made for anyone who tests positive. I can't imagine anyone would be left on the dock to fend for themselves. Thoughts? 

Well, until ships are allow to use US ports or at least start sailing again anywhere....and for US ports maybe not until Nov 1, it is not much of a problem. 

In a few months after the vaccine gets more wide spread and has had a chance to become effective for those who have the shots, there may not be as much of a problem with the wide spread transmission.

Until that happens, we will probably just have to live with our clipped wings.

Edited by cwn

It will be an issue if one is on a cruise in Europe and plans to fly back to the US on disembarkation day or even the next day.  Coming soon.... everyone will be mandated to wear a testing device on their forehead that will turn red if you have covid, flu or any other disease and you won't be able to leave your home without it alerting the disease police.  Pretty soon "Logan's run"   It isn't really that far fetched.

3 hours ago, Lonedaddy said:

It will be an issue if one is on a cruise in Europe and plans to fly back to the US on disembarkation day or even the next day.  ......

Already many Cruise Companies are/have planning to have the applicable type of onboard Covid fast testing process that will enable departing passengers to have the correct test result that allows them to return home.

• Like 4

@BellagioCruisers All well and good whilst you and everyone else stay on board. Now what happens when you go ashore. 

At the moment there are so many petty arguments within the EU regarding the vaccine that I fear that they will not achieve reasonable coverage this year. This, for me, means two years without cruising and whilst living on a small island surrounded by sea we do like to get off. 

I agree that proof of vaccine would inspire a little more confidence. 

Keep safe. Cruise soon. 

1 hour ago, Guerncruising said:

@BellagioCruisers All well and good whilst you and everyone else stay on board. Now what happens when you go ashore. 

At the moment there are so many petty arguments within the EU regarding the vaccine that I fear that they will not achieve reasonable coverage this year. This, for me, means two years without cruising and whilst living on a small island surrounded by sea we do like to get off. 

I agree that proof of vaccine would inspire a little more confidence. 

Keep safe. Cruise soon. 

Get me on the ship and I don’t need to go ashore until it’s time to go home....

• Like 4

20 hours ago, doc47 said:

Forgive me if this topic has been discussed, but I think the new CDC directive deserves some attention. As of today, anyone entering the US needs a negative COVID test within the 3 days of entry. I just returned from Cabo, and my resort's plan is to offer in-room testing--PCR test with 2-3 day turn-around for $200 or the quick test for $35. If someone tests positive, they will need to quarantine for 14 days. This resort plans to dramatically reduce their daily rate for these folks. I wonder how this will further complicate the cruise industry. Everyone will need to be tested on-board and somehow arrangements will need to be made for anyone who tests positive. I can't imagine anyone would be left on the dock to fend for themselves. Thoughts? 

When we take our next Regent cruise in September, we are not worried about them providing Covid19 tests to continue on our trip on our post cruise excursion and our Regent flight home. They will arrange that, and help us get home since we take the flights that Regent arranged for us. If we should test positive, we trust them to help us with what we should do. We pay for travel insurance, and with Covid19, that may or may not help us. It hasn't so far on other cruise lines. But we trust Regent will look out for us if we book our flights through them. If you take the flight credit and book your own flights, then I think you might be on your own if you test positive.

I would not even consider a cruise unless Regent mandated a Covid Vaccine and a flu shot.

It's unbelievable how many people in the US don't even get a yearly flu shot. We have a cruise booked for

September to the British Isles. Not sure what will happen.

• Like 2

Hmmm. interesting about requiring the vaccination.  I have already had CoVID, so should already have antibodies.  Don't know that the vaccination will give me any additional protection (and by default anyone I am around), and may be detrimental, as I had a reaction to my last flu shot....so something doesn't agree with my system.

3 hours ago, Got2Cruise said:

Not only will the Cruise lines need a testing process, but they need a place for those who test positive to stay because they can’t fly home. 

I would think the cost of those testing positive, finding a place and cost would be the cruisers expense not Regents.

Having enough vaccines available vs the extraordinary task of distributing and giving the shots are different challenges. July would be great but the powers to be in US government are telling us fall 2021. We have a lot to learn in the next few months about the vaccine’s true effectiveness and the period of time it provides protection. They are already talking about booster shots to combat the COVID mutations. At this time, we also don’t know if a vaccinated person can transmit the disease to others. The vaccines don’t necessarily keep you from getting the virus but they have been proven to reduce the severity of the sickness and hospitalizations associated with COVID. We should also expect that a significant number of people won’t get the vaccine. I know people in our neighborhood won’t do so in spite of the extreme risks for getting COVID. I also believe that the COVID virus has some additional surprises for us. I have read historical accounts of the 1918 Spanish flu that killed 20% of the world’s population. That virus, just like COVID, kept 1 step ahead of the science and mutated and sickened and killed people until it just ran out of victims to infect. Bottom line is that I believe that there is light at the end of the tunnel but the tunnel is very long. I really question whether cruise lines will be on the hook for rearranging travel in the event that a person on the ship gets COVID. The cruise lines can certainly do a lot of things to make the onboard situation a lot safer but once you get off that ship for land tours they lose control. It will be interesting to see what policies come out for this unique situation that we are in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

If someone won’t take the vaccine, they can not go on a ship.
That should be the rule, except if you had covid and testing shows you still have antibodies. 
By late summer, this should be the case here in the US. 

We can only hope-----for the best.

On 1/30/2021 at 9:40 AM, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

If someone won’t take the vaccine, they can not go on a ship.
That should be the rule, except if you had covid and testing shows you still have antibodies. 
By late summer, this should be the case here in the US. 

What about those folks who could not take the Yellow Fever vaccine?  They were still able to board our SA voyage upon showing medical documentation that they could not take it.