Questioning my confidence in river cruising again

Bake apple

The Canadian Govt has put a ban on all ships over 100 people.  That would include crew.  With our quarantine regulations, I doubt very much you would be able to go ashore either.  If they are still running the cruise, you may only be on the American side of the lakes for any excursions.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-edward-island/pei-cruise-ship-ban-effects-feb-2022-1.5901198

28 minutes ago, Daisi said:

The Canadian Govt has put a ban on all ships over 100 people.  That would include crew.  With our quarantine regulations, I doubt very much you would be able to go ashore either.  If they are still running the cruise, you may only be on the American side of the lakes for any excursions.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-edward-island/pei-cruise-ship-ban-effects-feb-2022-1.5901198

I had thought about that being a possibility. Would definitely cancel if that’s the case.

I would expect that lots of things won't be back to normal in Canada at the end of May. Most people will not yet have been vaccinated, and it is unclear how much will be open here in Ontario (which is the only Canadian province on the Great Lakes).

At the moment, everyone arriving by air is subject to testing and quarantining. There is some discussion about testing at land borders too, although no mention of arriving by water.

Very few things are back to anything near normal in the province. While there is talk about reopening beginning shortly, particularly in areas less affected by Covid, but the greater Toronto area is likely to remain under certain restrictions for some time.

What were you expecting to do on your stops? That might make a difference as to what you should do, however, if you can delay the cruise until 2023 before making final payment that is what I would probably do.

2 hours ago, gnome12 said:

I would expect that lots of things won't be back to normal in Canada at the end of May. Most people will not yet have been vaccinated, and it is unclear how much will be open here in Ontario (which is the only Canadian province on the Great Lakes).

At the moment, everyone arriving by air is subject to testing and quarantining. There is some discussion about testing at land borders too, although no mention of arriving by water.

Very few things are back to anything near normal in the province. While there is talk about reopening beginning shortly, particularly in areas less affected by Covid, but the greater Toronto area is likely to remain under certain restrictions for some time.

What were you expecting to do on your stops? That might make a difference as to what you should do, however, if you can delay the cruise until 2023 before making final payment that is what I would probably do.

I very much suspect we will decide to delay.

• 2 weeks later...

Our April cruise has been officially cancelled. Looking forward to rescheduling, just not sure for when.  Got an email from Viking yesterday, that included this:

For now, though, our scheduled cruise departures must wait – and we are extending our suspension of scheduled departures through May 31, 2021.

Edited by mnjack

We are booked to travel in early November down the Rhine.  Fingers crossed that we get to go.  I’m sure it will be different from our last cruise, but I’m fine with new protocols and procedures to get back out into the world.  Must keep a positive outlook to get through this and have something to look forward to.  

6 minutes ago, cruisr said:

Crystal has just announced that all guests on Ocean and River cruises must be vaccinated and have had their second dose at least two weeks before boarding.  I am sure the other river cruiselines will follow

This is going to be easier for river cruise lines to accomplish than ocean cruise lines, given that river cruises attract an older demographic.

No vaccines are yet approved for children, and it will be months, maybe even next year, before those in their 20s and 30s are eligible to be vaccinated.

10 minutes ago, Roz said:

This is going to be easier for river cruise lines to accomplish than ocean cruise lines, given that river cruises attract an older demographic.

No vaccines are yet approved for children, and it will be months, maybe even next year, before those in their 20s and 30s are eligible to be vaccinated.

So it will be interesting to see what Celebrity does, as they have pivoted to marketing aimed at millennials rather than baby boomers.  Oops!  Time to bring back the ABBA and Beatles shows!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Roz said:

Actually AMAwaterways partners with Disney for charters that are aimed at families.  Each year they have chartered more dates.  Guess that will change.

• Like 1

@cruisr, I'd forgotten about the AMA/Disney partnership, and other lines promote multi-generational cruises.  Uniworld, for instance, has its Generations cruises.  This could be the nail in the coffin for U by Uniworld. 

10 minutes ago, Roz said:

@cruisr, I'd forgotten about the AMA/Disney partnership, and other lines promote multi-generational cruises.  Uniworld, for instance, has its Generations cruises.  This could be the nail in the coffin for U by Uniworld. 

I really don't think North American's will be cruising this summer. I think everyone will be able to get their vaccine for next summer if they want it. I think U is having major issues, even before COVID. 

The AMA and Uniworld multi-generation trips just will need to resort to normal cruises until next summer when everyone can travel. This is assuming the trials go well for youth.

On 2/18/2021 at 8:35 PM, Roz said:

I thought that about U as well, and figured I check them out for pricing, thinking there may be a bargain out there.  Nope, not at all.  Can't quote the exact price, but a full level about Vantage/Viking.

MNGardens she and her husband have fully recovered and are back at work he organises an office complex for local government and she is a Pilates instructor/trainer her clients are more than happy.
With your trip the first thing to sort out what you want to do and where you want to go, then talk to either a TA or directly to a cruise company. Depending on the size of your party you could get a really good deal. CA

On 2/3/2021 at 4:49 PM, F19810 said:

It is only the beginning of February and more vaccines are coming very soon.  I am still holding out hope that my Egypt/Jordan trip in November is a go.  

I take one big vacation, usually international, a year and one smaller week long caribbean cruise or Disney World/year.  I missed both vacations this year.  I am going to Disney in June but will be VERY upset if I can't go to Egypt/Jordan.  I've had both Moderna shots (pays to work in healthcare) and am used to wearing masks for work and if this is what I have to do to go on vacation, I will do it.

Judy

Judy. I see by your name zip you live in north Wilmington I’m a retired Delawarean in Florida.  I also have trip to Egypt (Nile cruise) in oct hoping to be a go.  Also disney in June with my sons family from Delaware. Christmas markets November🤞🤞🤞

my may 2021cruise  trip from Jordan to Israel ending at Greece changed to may 2022. 

I got my two shots already. I’m ready to get back to my retirement travels. missed out on over 10 cruises last year and this year is not starting great. 

Work at christiana??   My son (in kitchen) and nephew a doctor,  work there

and yes mask no problem for me. 
Donna 

On 2/20/2021 at 11:32 PM, DonnaMW said:

Judy. I see by your name zip you live in north Wilmington I’m a retired Delawarean in Florida.  I also have trip to Egypt (Nile cruise) in oct hoping to be a go.  Also disney in June with my sons family from Delaware. Christmas markets November🤞🤞🤞

my may 2021cruise  trip from Jordan to Israel ending at Greece changed to may 2022. 

I got my two shots already. I’m ready to get back to my retirement travels. missed out on over 10 cruises last year and this year is not starting great. 

Work at christiana??   My son (in kitchen) and nephew a doctor,  work there

and yes mask no problem for me. 
Donna 

Small world!  I live in De abut work in Philly.  I couldn't take not traveling any longer so I made a last minute 4 day trip to WDW.  I leave in 2 weeks.  I don't have high hopes of going on many rides on either WDW trip ( I have another in June) but I go often enough that it shouldn't matter.  I feel safer having gotten both shots and wearing a mask.  I am still hopeful that the Egypt/Jordan trip happens but I am having doubts,  last I heard, Egypt is making people pay for the shot and most can't afford it.

On 2/26/2021 at 7:09 PM, F19810 said:

Small world!  I live in De abut work in Philly.  I couldn't take not traveling any longer so I made a last minute 4 day trip to WDW.  I leave in 2 weeks.  I don't have high hopes of going on many rides on either WDW trip ( I have another in June) but I go often enough that it shouldn't matter.  I feel safer having gotten both shots and wearing a mask.  I am still hopeful that the Egypt/Jordan trip happens but I am having doubts,  last I heard, Egypt is making people pay for the shot and most can't afford it.

You will find WDW different. Have been a few times last year.  I’m going up to Orlando in about 2 weeks. Finally company coming to visit from De. Then up to De for Easter with a side trip to rehobeth.   wdw again in may (animal kingdom. And Boardwalk in June.  Hurrah. Keeps me busy until cruising starts.   Egypt. Yes. 

22 hours ago, DonnaMW said:

You will find WDW different. Have been a few times last year.  I’m going up to Orlando in about 2 weeks. Finally company coming to visit from De. Then up to De for Easter with a side trip to rehobeth.   wdw again in may (animal kingdom. And Boardwalk in June.  Hurrah. Keeps me busy until cruising starts.   Egypt. Yes. 

I'm at Pop Century next week and in June. I do love the Animal Kingdom lodge  (love the animals and  the displays throughout the hotel) and the restaurants there are among my favorites. I have serious doubts that Egypt will be happening this year. I can't cancel because I will lose the insurance but if I wait for them to cancel, I will get the money back.  I think European trips will happen by the fall and maybe southeast asia, but Egypt???????  By the time they cancel the trip, it will be to late in the season to go anywhere, except WDW!  The biggest issue will be if they don't cancel the trip and I don't feel comfortable going, then I will lose the insurance again.

12 hours ago, F19810 said:

I'm at Pop Century next week and in June. I do love the Animal Kingdom lodge  (love the animals and  the displays throughout the hotel) and the restaurants there are among my favorites. I have serious doubts that Egypt will be happening this year. I can't cancel because I will lose the insurance but if I wait for them to cancel, I will get the money back.  I think European trips will happen by the fall and maybe southeast asia, but Egypt???????  By the time they cancel the trip, it will be to late in the season to go anywhere, except WDW!  The biggest issue will be if they don't cancel the trip and I don't feel comfortable going, then I will lose the insurance again.

I am sorry to hear that you will lose the Egypt trip.  It was amazing.  I went with 8 others in my family. We arranged a private trip. The drivers and guides were phenomenal.  We went in 2014 after  the Arab spring.  There were no tourists.  The tour guides were so hungry for tourism.  They did not want tips, they wanted Trip Advisor recommendations.  And it was so cheap.  We stayed at 5 star hotels, did hot air balloon rides, a river cruise, an overnight train and so much more.  Including food and all accommodations, it was less than $100 per day per person.

11 hours ago, scottjeanne said:

I am sorry to hear that you will lose the Egypt trip.  It was amazing.  I went with 8 others in my family. We arranged a private trip. The drivers and guides were phenomenal.  We went in 2014 after  the Arab spring.  There were no tourists.  The tour guides were so hungry for tourism.  They did not want tips, they wanted Trip Advisor recommendations.  And it was so cheap.  We stayed at 5 star hotels, did hot air balloon rides, a river cruise, an overnight train and so much more.  Including food and all accommodations, it was less than $100 per day per person.

I haven't decided yet if I will cancel,  I just don't know what to do.