Carnival COVID-19 Notices on website before booking now...

cruzin Phillis

1 hour ago, john91498 said:

People are giving up cruising because they have to wear a mask? Really?

We're going to Vegas in a few weeks and our hotel was adamant about following corvid procedures. If we break the rules, they will kick us out. 

If you haven't been in a while, you're in for a shock. It's only halfway open, the restaurants that are open require reservations, and many shows are dark. Vegas is a shell of it's former glory right now. Unless you're a hard core gambler, it's hardly worth a trip. Tahoe is more lively in fact. Room rates are dirt cheap in Vegas though, about the only positive. 

Edited by cruisingguy007

Sunonfire posted the following:  https://cruiseradio.net/carnival-retracts-prematurely-released-cruise-protocols/

Apparently some of you haven't read that Carnival retracted the "policy."   Which doesn't mean it or something similar won't be reinstated.  

I don't know if it really was the case that Carnival accidentally posted something they were still working on and had not yet finalized (which is what the article says) or if they actually reacted to all the negative feedback and threats from passengers.  

Edited by tqc_cruiser
Clarification

36 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

If you haven't been in a while, you're in for a shock. It's only halfway open, the restaurants that are open require reservations, and many shows are dark. Vegas is a shell of it's former glory right now. Unless you're a hard core gambler, it's hardly worth a trip. Tahoe is more lively in fact. Room rates are dirt cheap in Vegas though, about the only positive. 

My buddy was there two weeks ago and he shot some video. It looks like Vegas is picking up and the video's showed quite a bit of people out. He told me that none of the buffets are open, but the restaurants that are open had virtually no wait times.

1 hour ago, tqc_cruiser said:

Sunonfire posted the following:  https://cruiseradio.net/carnival-retracts-prematurely-released-cruise-protocols/

Apparently some of you haven't read that Carnival retracted the "policy."   Which doesn't mean it or something similar won't be reinstated.  

I don't know if it really was the case that Carnival accidentally posted something they were still working on and had not yet finalized (which is what the article says) or if they actually reacted to all the negative feedback and threats from passengers.  

Yes, I just saw they took it down. They claim it has not been finalized yet.

6 hours ago, john91498 said:

We're going to Vegas in a few weeks and our hotel was adamant about following corvid procedures. If we break the rules, they will kick us out. 

A land vacation rules are a little different from what we are starting to see.  In Vegas you can get a local tour or rent a car to EXPLORE ON YOUR OWN.  Ship may be forcing you to take their excursions.  I dont know about others but in our circumstances, we cruise to visit ports.  We do a lot of research and go off on our own.  I have taken ship excursions and other than the ones that are just a transport to a place (seville on your own, st. john on your own...), I disliked them.  Too much bathroom breaks and trinket shopping.  Everyone's ideas of vacations are different.  Mine personally is not being herded.

• Like 5

On 2/7/2021 at 4:39 PM, Aulanis said:

So can I ask are  covid tests  just for holiday purposes, when you show no symptoms

free in the US -   In the UK  thay are about £100 per person per test.

That is another 10% on a £1000 cruise  and when  having to pay for an excursion

in order to get off the ship  is a lot  of extra outlay for a family to pay. 

I'm not sure about that. I have had one test as has my teenager and they were both ordered by doctors so I assume they were covered by insurance. There have been some free testing days and locations but I am not sure how long this will be the case. It seems there are more tests available cheaper as this situation continues. 

I feel at this point, we are in for a penny, in for a pound / dollar.  We wear masks everywhere anyway. We're in the frozen chill and long nights of midwinter and the thought of a summer journey on a ship in the sunshine sounds wonderful.  I will be wearing a mask and trying to avoid becoming ill if I'm home or if I'm on the ship. 

If I were you, depending on when you are flying in, I believe there are fast-result tests you can get here so I would try to arrange that. I know we are not supposed to peddle any wares here, so this is just for your reference if you would like to see. Of course I don't know whether you qualify for this federal program for the uninsured, or how long this situation will be in place as this one pharmacy is offering.  Could certainly change / will change in coming months. https://www.cvs.com/minuteclinic/clinic-locator/fl/orlando/specialty/covid-19-testing-5852.html

Edited by KmomChicago
  • Thanks 1

On 2/7/2021 at 5:39 PM, Aulanis said:

So can I ask are  covid tests  just for holiday purposes, when you show no symptoms

free in the US -   In the UK  thay are about £100 per person per test.

That is another 10% on a £1000 cruise  and when  having to pay for an excursion

in order to get off the ship  is a lot  of extra outlay for a family to pay. 

I can give you my experiences.  When we walk in to get tested in NY - whether it be rapid or "regular" covid test - it has been free each time for all in my family.  However - when we went down to Fort Lauderdale before Thanksgiving - and again before Christmas for a few days - we had to (by NY mandate) get tested within 3 days of going back to NY.  The tests we got in FLL were NOT free.  We paid $139 for each rapid test, and when we had the regular covid test the cost was $69.  This was at an walk-in urgent care center.  They would not take insurance.    Maybe it was just the place we went to,  but that is what happened to us.  I wouldn't doubt  the cruise lines might add the cost of any testing needed to board onto the cruise fare beforehand- especially if the testing is done right at the terminal.     

This thread, like so many here, amuses and terrifies me at the same time.

It really doesn't matter what we, the individual cruisers posting here, thinks is acceptable.  Carnival and the other lines are going to have to comply with what will be considered acceptable to the CDC / US Gov't and the Gov'ts of the foreign ports visited.  And those Gov't views will be driven partly by public perception of the cruise line industry.

Another factor is that I think all of those interested parties (cruise lines and Gov'ts) are waiting to see whether a true herd immunity starts to build in the general population, both in the US and elsewhere (including all those Caribbean islands).  If that happens, then eventually many of the protocols may not be required.

The fastest way to herd immunity has two paths, I think: 

1. Vaccinate as many people as possible, as fast as possible, and practice social distancing
  2. Ignore social distancing, encourage mass gatherings, and let the 1% to 2% die and another x% suffer long term effects.  Well, probably more than 2% will die, because health care systems will collapse, so even moderate cases will not be treated, and thus it will increase the mortality rates.

The danger is that if not enough is done in either case such that herd immunity is not achieved, and the virus mutates significantly and is not countered by vaccines, then we're in for a nasty second innings.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

that would eliminate the need for basically all the other restrictions, which is nice. 

Sadly but no...https://www.webmd.com/vaccines/covid-19-vaccine/news/20210203/covid-faq-i-got-the-vaccine-is-life-normal-again

BTW I sure hope it is found that the vaccine truly stops the sharing of COVID-19. My fingers are crossed. Vaccine #1 done and the second one coming up!

Edited by Linda the Book Lover
  • Like 1

I, too, am certainly hoping that vaccines are required for all!  I have gotten my first Pfizer and will be vaccinated.  Why would I want to be on a ship with those that are not?  I don’t understand why everyone wouldn’t want this to be the case. I have rebooked for 12/22.  I think that children will be vaccinated by then and there should be fast, cheap tests for boarding.  Of course, I would prefer it if masks were not necessary, but I am happy to comply.  As far as cruises for  2021, I would not need the cruise line or the CDC to tell me that it is not safe.  I have concluded it for myself.  Too much of a gamble!

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Linda the Book Lover said:

Sadly but no...https://www.webmd.com/vaccines/covid-19-vaccine/news/20210203/covid-faq-i-got-the-vaccine-is-life-normal-again

BTW I sure hope it is found that the vaccine truly stops the sharing of COVID-19. My fingers are crossed. Vaccine #1 done and the second one coming up!

Just got my 2nd Moderna and it was brutal.  Fever 103, Headache, arm sore, nauseous.  I had zero reaction with 1st dose.  Just a heads up to make sure you have tylenol and ibuprofen ready!

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

Just got my 2nd Moderna and it was brutal.  Fever 103, Headache, arm sore, nauseous.  I had zero reaction with 1st dose.  Just a heads up to make sure you have tylenol and ibuprofen ready!

Thanks I do have ibuprofen! One does not know if you will or will not experience any issues after the second vaccine. I heard a few people had a high temperature and one person passed on through our friend that she felt sick for a few days. Fingers crossed I will have slight to no reaction. Thanks for sharing your experience! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Linda the Book Lover said:

It could on a cruise with everyone vaccinated. The reason it won't return to normal in our everyday lives is that just because you are vaccinated doesn't mean the people around you are.

But FWIW, I bet they'd still require masks and some social distancing.

3 hours ago, Linda the Book Lover said:

Thanks I do have ibuprofen! One does not know if you will or will not experience any issues after the second vaccine. I heard a few people had a high temperature and one person passed on through our friend that she felt sick for a few days. Fingers crossed I will have slight to no reaction. Thanks for sharing your experience! 

A reaction is actually a good thing. Be happy if you get one! That is your body working to develop an immune response. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jamesatgsu said:

It could on a cruise with everyone vaccinated. The reason it won't return to normal in our everyday lives is that just because you are vaccinated doesn't mean the people around you are.

But FWIW, I bet they'd still require masks and some social distancing.

There's rumblings that we're going to have to wear a mask for the rest of our lives...that'd be scary...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

A reaction is actually a good thing. Be happy if you get one! That is your body working to develop an immune response. 

lol.  When you are going through it, its the last thing on your mind.  Now yes, its a good knowledge but during it while you have nausea, vomiting, fever, headache...no way!  

• Haha 1

On 2/8/2021 at 7:49 PM, john91498 said:

It’s less about the mask and more about the overall experience..

Nearly 2 years ago I booked us a family vacation to celebrate a few big things.  After having been cancelled twice now, our current sailing date is 5/17/21, but the cruise we’re getting is NOT the vacation we signed up for, nor is the vacation we want.

One of the biggest things from our perspective is the whole “you can only get off the ship if you have an official carnival excursion”.  Sorry there’s 6 of us, which means excursion days will be $600+ and this vacation has already tapped me out.  We like to get off the boat and explore the port.. 

On the ship, the masks, the social distancing for food lines, certainly there will be less deck chairs (as if it wasn’t already hard enough to find a chair).  It’s not going to be the carefree vacation we signed up for.  

I realize this isn’t carnivals fault, but it is what it is..

• Like 2

12 hours ago, john91498 said:

There's rumblings that we're going to have to wear a mask for the rest of our lives...that'd be scary...

Right, and if that is the case are people seriously never going to take vacations again? Because what, because they don't like life? So they are just going to sit around at home grumbling about their masks? Until the end of forever? Okay, whatever.

Edited by KmomChicago
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, RiotAct said:

that would eliminate the need for basically all the other restrictions, which is nice. 

It wouldnt eliminate testing thru nov 1st. Cdc orders for testing until then will probably stay in place. It's possible both testing and vaccines. Vaccines arent 100%.