Crystal ball needed for European Cruise start dates

This is a good question.  I booked a Next Cruise in Feb. 2020 for a Mediterranean cruise on Harmony in September 2021.  No one knows yet if it will sail, but even if it does, I doubt Europe will be allowing North Americans to fly over there and board cruises.  Was thinking of trying to get a FCC and re-book for same Mediterranean itinerary in September, 2022 on Allure.  Any suggestions?

2 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Summer of 2022.

"Inside knowledge" (aka - gut feeling 😉)

Agree with this. From where I’m sitting it’s more difficult to travel within Europe than it was last Summer. European countries have started their vaccination process, in a lot of cases slower than hoped due to lack of vaccines. 
Variations of the virus have spooked a lot of countries and travel restrictions are the end result. In Ireland, our government is saying forgot about non essential travel this year. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

MSC announced their european sailing start up dates for march thru may for various ships.  Only allowing europeans from Schegen areas.

Imo I think rcl will have a couple sailings in europe this summer but dont think travelers from US will be allowed.  I think they will stick to europeans only like other cruise lines in europe are doing. 

Pretty much like they are doing on the quantum in singapore with only residents of singapore allowed.

• Like 1

We have a late September 2021 sailing from Europe, so I guess we are kind of in  good position since we will probably know well before final payments are due whether or not the summer sailings from Europe are going to happen or not.

I'm counting on the L&S being an option, so we can switch to 2022. Only time will tell if we will have that option.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

We have a late September 2021 sailing from Europe, so I guess we are kind of in  good position since we will probably know well before final payments are due whether or not the summer sailings from Europe are going to happen or not.

I'm counting on the L&S being an option, so we can switch to 2022. Only time will tell if we will have that option.

I’m feeling the same way about our August cruise. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AF-1 said:

I think the only large cruse line cruising in Europe at this time is MSC

Tui may not qualify as "large" (has 6 ships) but they have been sailing since July. Costa is sailing as well. It might be in the Canaries, but they are sailing.

Hello,

Other than for defined purposes, ie not including holidays, travel both domestic and international is currently illegal here in/from the UK.

However, an announcement is due on 22nd February on the timetable for lifting the various restrictions we have in place, eg the opening of non-essential shops, bars and restaurants.

But should travel bans be lifted, it takes two to tango - or at least to travel, one as a guest and one as host. What other European counties are going to do and when they are going to do it is unknown. For economies reliant on tourism, Greece for example, the doors are open but today Germany put border controls in place.

My personal view is that we can forget May & June sailings ex UK. July & August I would say are 50/50  - providing someone is willing to take us. I foresee returning to some sort of normality in September. It would not surprise me, in fact please me greatly, to see an extended ex UK season beyond the scheduled Anthem TA in October.

I don't think I've produced a better crystal ball, but I hope I've given it a light dusting.

Regards,

Cublet

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AF-1 said:

I think the only large cruse line cruising in Europe at this time is MSC

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

Tui may not qualify as "large" (has 6 ships) but they have been sailing since July. Costa is sailing as well. It might be in the Canaries, but they are sailing.

As much as I'd like to cruise, I "'draw the line" at Costa, TUI and MSC. It's not just cruising -- it's the whole experience.

YMMV 😁

2 hours ago, cublet said:

Hello,

Other than for defined purposes, ie not including holidays, travel both domestic and international is currently illegal here in/from the UK.

However, an announcement is due on 22nd February on the timetable for lifting the various restrictions we have in place, eg the opening of non-essential shops, bars and restaurants.

But should travel bans be lifted, it takes two to tango - or at least to travel, one as a guest and one as host. What other European counties are going to do and when they are going to do it is unknown. For economies reliant on tourism, Greece for example, the doors are open but today Germany put border controls in place.

My personal view is that we can forget May & June sailings ex UK. July & August I would say are 50/50  - providing someone is willing to take us. I foresee returning to some sort of normality in September. It would not surprise me, in fact please me greatly, to see an extended ex UK season beyond the scheduled Anthem TA in October.

I don't think I've produced a better crystal ball, but I hope I've given it a light dusting.

Regards,

Cublet

Now that Boris has 💯% his vaccine schedule, I would not be surprised to see a few cruises to nowhere from Southampton.  Ben said there  probably would be too. 
And +1 to keep Anthem here over the winter. 

• Like 1

I'm really hoping my Greece cruise on Odyssey sails in October. It will be my honeymoon and I booked it the first day the itinerary dropped in December 2019. Hopefully we have enough information before my final payment date in July.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, cruisin from florida said:

We're waiting for our July '21 Greek Isles on Rhapsody to get cancelled. Plan to lift and shift to '22. Wondering can/should we do that now, while stateroom availability is better...

Hello,

But what are current 2022 prices like now compared to 2021?

Ex Southampton 2022 prices are up to 40% higher than 2021.

Regards,

Cublet

24 minutes ago, cruisin from florida said:

We're waiting for our July '21 Greek Isles on Rhapsody to get cancelled. Plan to lift and shift to '22. Wondering can/should we do that now, while stateroom availability is better...

You can’t Lift & Shift your Greek Isles cruise until RCI cancels it.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

NancyIL;  what does lift & shift allow you to do?  I am not familiar with this policy.  Thanks

It allows you to move your cruise to next year price protecteted. 

Current terms have been plus/minus one week of original sail date and same ship although if one ship is replacing another the following year I am confident that would be allowed. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

It allows you to move your cruise to next year price protecteted. 

Current terms have been plus/minus one week of original sail date and same ship although if one ship is replacing another the following year I am confident that would be allowed. 

Thank you very much for the explanation.  I appreciate it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cruisin from florida said:

Sounds like we continue our game of chicken. We have a great price on a JS, so as soon as they cancel we'll try to Lift and Shift our Greek Isles cruise to '22.

But waiting closer to sail date for the possibility of Lift and Shift means there might be less choice of cabins in 2022.  That's why I was thinking of trying to get FCC now on my Sept. 2021 Mediterranean cruise and re-apply that to a deposit on a Med sailing for next year.

• Like 1