Choosing cruise for the itinerary vs the ship

1 hour ago, mek said:

Oh - I was talking about the ease of getting from the airport to a hotel and then to the ship.

But I do agree, direct/non-stop flights are only way to go.  The only time I ever had bags lost was with a connection on the continent.  It worked out ok, but it was a nail bitter.

I completely agree.   I will only book non-stop flights, especially if flying to Europe as I don't want to lose my luggage and have 1 day to buy all new stuff in another country.     I never trust luggage with connecting flights, especially if the connecting flight is within 1 hr of landing.    

If my local airport does not have a non-stop flight to a destination but an airport 2 hours away does, I will leave from that airport instead of my local airport.   

On 2/14/2021 at 10:27 PM, Canadianmama3 said:

So my husband just found there is an ice rink on Allure.  That may push that one in the lead in his eyes.  My son plays hockey (like almost all Canadian kids lol) and apparently it would be great for him to get some skating practice in 🙄

there is a rink on a lot of RC ships. The rinks are quite small. not sure how much practice your son would get in. For someone who can skate it is more of a leisure skate than anything. No speed skating, nothing fancy

On 2/14/2021 at 10:12 PM, Ourusualbeach said:

Not sure If you fly out of Toronto like I do but I can tell you that we are spoiled with how many places in Europe that we can fly direct to.  Some of the flights that my US clients have to Europe are minimum 1 and in a lot of cases 2 stops and nearly a full day of travel by the time  layovers are factored in. 

Atlanta has a lot of directs😉

• Like 1

On 2/14/2021 at 10:07 PM, Canadianmama3 said:

I think many cruisers in the US are just used to driving to a port.  For us flying to Europe is really not that much more of a big deal then flying to Florida.  It’s a few extra hours on the plane.  So the flight has nothing to do with our decision.  

Actual air time, wheels up, is the easiest part of flying. 

One of the reasons I'm confused why Galveston is so much easier to get to than FL for west coasters. Flight time is about 2 extra hours. 

Flights to Europe have other complications.  Customs and immigration for one.

Edited by John&LaLa

19 hours ago, Heymarco said:

So it’s not that much different than going to the West Coast, both in travel time and time difference. Coming back from Europe is pretty easy, one long day, but easier adjustment. My point is that people shouldn’t put up these “barriers” and just get out there and do it. 

That's why I like east bound TA's

Leisurely trip to Europe, arrive fresh, stay a few days. Not much jet lag coming home, and if it does wipe you out, recoup in your own home

7 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Leisurely trip to Europe, arrive fresh, stay a few days. Not much jet lag coming home, and if it does wipe you out, recoup in your own home

But ... you lose 5 or 6 hours of eating/drinking. 

West bound you gain the 5 or 6 hours (and 10 lbs. 😉 ).

Edited by Another_Critic
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

Actual air time, wheels up, is the easiest part of flying. 

One of the reasons I'm confused why Galveston is so much easier to get to than FL for west coasters. Flight time is about 2 extra hours. 

Flights to Europe have other complications.  Customs and immigration for one.

Well for us we have to deal with customs no matter what cruise we

take.  

• Like 2

On 2/14/2021 at 1:51 PM, Canadianmama3 said:

When picking a cruise what is more important to people.   The ship or the itinerary you are on.  

I’m researching Europe cruises and I’m torn between one for the ship, on Allure, and one that has a more appealing itinerary, on Vision. 

Itinerary first imo.

I would have to say itinerary. Itinerary preference includes there being no more than one sea day if the ship is not that great. Of course even with a great ship I would not want more than 2 sea days on a 7 day cruise.

25 minutes ago, HxFx said:

I would have to say itinerary. Itinerary preference includes there being no more than one sea day if the ship is not that great. Of course even with a great ship I would not want more than 2 sea days on a 7 day cruise.

Whatever floats your boat.  😀

I did 10 sea days (on a 10 day cruise) on Azamara Journey (aka Oasis class lifeboat).  A fantastic, relaxing cruise.

I did 8 sea days (on an 8 day cruise) on both Quantum and Anthem.  I did spend 8 and 10 days pre-cruise in England.

8 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

It’s a connecting flight for anywhere that we fly, Galveston is usually 1-200 less per person for flights.

Also agree that if going across the ocean I look at Itinerary first, pricing, ship.

Caribbean is a whole different discussion, we factor in flights/shuttles as well

6 minutes ago, CanadaRob said:

It’s a connecting flight for anywhere that we fly, Galveston is usually 1-200 less per person for flights.

Also agree that if going across the ocean I look at Itinerary first, pricing, ship.

Caribbean is a whole different discussion, we factor in flights/shuttles as well

No directs to Orlando?

3 minutes ago, CanadaRob said:

Only Spring through Summer, so if I’m cruising Sep-March, not available and now during COVID it’s worsening 

Saw on news tonight that MCO's international traffic is down around 75% from 2019 highs

Bad time to invest 4 billion on upgrading airport I guess.

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 1

We only do Caribbean cruises so lately it’s ship over itinerary. The only cruise we have booked was between a nine night on Radiance or a seven night on MSC Seashore in Yacht Club. All in, the price this time was too similar to pass up the YC opportunity a standard aft balcony on Radiance. 

I went through this tough decision a couple of years ago. Ended up choosing the bigger ship (Oasis) vs small ship with better itinerary, even though we’d already been on Oasis before, but not Vision. In the end it came down to: a) this was our first trip to Europe, but it won’t be our last, so one day we will do a smaller class ship & more unique ports b) we were travelling with 2 older teens and hubby who enjoy the extra bells & whistles (flowrider in particular) of the larger ships c) we also wanted to visit Paris after the cruise and this worked well with the  round trip Mediterranean cruise from Barcelona (and had some precruise time in Barcelona). Although it was port intensive, we were always back onboard with lots of time to also enjoy the ships activities and shows, I was actually surprised by this. Whatever you choose, it will be an incredible and memorable vacation! 

On 2/14/2021 at 3:51 PM, Canadianmama3 said:

When picking a cruise what is more important to people.   The ship or the itinerary you are on.  

I’m researching Europe cruises and I’m torn between one for the ship, on Allure, and one that has a more appealing itinerary, on Vision. 

So for me it is simple, is it a relaxation trip, or is it a journey.  If it is a journey, ie it is about where we are going, then the itinerary is the most important thing.  Alaska for example, a great ship is nice, but you are going places, and when you go you plan on being off on an adventure.  So where you are going is more important.  If you are going to the Caribbean for the 15th time... I could care less about the itinerary, it is all about the ship... of course, for me that means does it have a FlowRider...  if it has a FlowRider and an IFly, then that is like a super touchdown.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, karebare22 said:

I went through this tough decision a couple of years ago. Ended up choosing the bigger ship (Oasis) vs small ship with better itinerary, even though we’d already been on Oasis before, but not Vision. In the end it came down to: a) this was our first trip to Europe, but it won’t be our last, so one day we will do a smaller class ship & more unique ports 

The small ships (Vision class) may not be around for a future trip.