Mandatory vaccination

armwinder

19 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

That does not look to be true. Take a look at this......

CDC to make masks mandatory in cruise terminals and cruise ships in the US

The CDC does have the power to mandate masks on cruise ships sailing from US ports. It is one of the areas where they do have absolute authority. But when I was talking about mask mandates and the CDC, I was referring to state mask mandates, as I was replying to a post about gubernatorial mask mandates.

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

The CDC does have the power to mandate masks on cruise ships sailing from US ports. It is one of the areas where they do have absolute authority. But when I was talking about mask mandates and the CDC, I was referring to state mask mandates, as I was replying to a post about gubernatorial mask mandates.

Oh. Sorry about that. Thanks for the clarification.

15 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

But keep in mind, that the country the ship is flagged with or will be docking at during the cruise could require the vaccine, testing or quarantine periods.

3 minutes ago, ArthurUSCG said:

But keep in mind, that the country the ship is flagged with or will be docking at during the cruise could require the vaccine, testing or quarantine periods.

Not sure how that specifically pertains to my post you quoted, but it is definitely true.

Several countries have already loosened travel restrictions for vaccinated people, though. And I would expect that more countries will do so as vaccines roll out. Even more incentive for cruise lines to require vaccines, if it makes it easier for them to port in countries that don't require testing/quarantine for vaccinated visitors.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JamieLogical said:

Not sure how that specifically pertains to my post you quoted, but it is definitely true.

Several countries have already loosened travel restrictions for vaccinated people, though. And I would expect that more countries will do so as vaccines roll out. Even more incentive for cruise lines to require vaccines, if it makes it easier for them to port in countries that don't require testing/quarantine for vaccinated visitors.

It's just to remind others that since cruises are international, there are more regulations and restrictions that can be added on by other countries.

Here is my million dollar question........I had my first vaccine last Sunday 3/7  my second vaccine is due March 28 - now from what I am reading on the CDC they do not know how long the vaccine is good for, they are saying 90 Days.    Now hopefully this will be not true as time goes on but if it is true this would get me only till the 2nd week in July.   Then what ????   If you want to travel on a cruise do we all need to be re vaccinated again!!   I cant see this happening for the whole world to get boosters again that would just be crazy.

Any other thoughts??

Leisa from NY

Edited by boatclub1

18 minutes ago, boatclub1 said:

Here is my million dollar question........I had my first vaccine last Sunday 3/7  my second vaccine is due March 28 - now from what I am reading on the CDC they do not know how long the vaccine is good for, they are saying 90 Days.    Now hopefully this will be not true as time goes on but if it is true this would get me only till the 2nd week in July.   Then what ????   If you want to travel on a cruise do we all need to be re vaccinated again!!   I can see this happening for the whole world again that would just be crazy.

Any other thoughts??

Leisa from NY

My thoughts......90 days? Why bother? I can not imagine all this hullabaloo for 3 months of protection.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, boatclub1 said:

Here is my million dollar question........I had my first vaccine last Sunday 3/7  my second vaccine is due March 28 - now from what I am reading on the CDC they do not know how long the vaccine is good for, they are saying 90 Days.    Now hopefully this will be not true as time goes on but if it is true this would get me only till the 2nd week in July.   Then what ????   If you want to travel on a cruise do we all need to be re vaccinated again!!   I cant see this happening for the whole world to get boosters again that would just be crazy.

Any other thoughts??

Leisa from NY

Who is saying 90 days? We would already need to be re-vaccinating the health care workers and nursing home residents who got vaccinated in December if it were only 90 days!!! I haven't heard anyone in the FDA or CDC saying we should already be re-vaccinating people.

Edit: The only info I could find on a quick search of the CDC site says "Experts are still learning more about how long vaccines protect against COVID-19 in real-world conditions. CDC will keep the public informed as new evidence becomes available."

Edited by JamieLogical
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, boatclub1 said:

now from what I am reading on the CDC they do not know how long the vaccine is good for, they are saying 90 Days.

Um, could you post a link to this?? You may be breaking global news on Cruise Critic. 

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

Who is saying 90 days? We would already need to be re-vaccinating the health care workers and nursing home residents who got vaccinated in December if it were only 90 days!!! I haven't heard anyone in the FDA or CDC saying we should already be re-vaccinating people.

I think you need to check CDC dot RU 😉 

Seriously though, what happens if the US meet or exceeds vaccine targets, but countries cruise lines sail to don’t? It seems parts of the EU and Canada and Japan are lagging the US in vaccinations (not sure about the Caribbean), but I can’t imagine American cruise lines risking sailing in these regions without at least some level of herd immunity in a community. 

4 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

I am in the Pfizer trial. We started in July. I have not heard any evidence that the participants who got the actual vaccine then (I received the placebo) have started catching the virus because the vaccine became ineffective seven months later. We do weekly check-ins asking if we have had any symptoms, so they would know if those people started catching it.

They also put out today that the Pfizer vaccine is also effective against the new variants that are out there.

7 hours ago, zdcatc12 said:

I am in the Pfizer trial. We started in July. I have not heard any evidence that the participants who got the actual vaccine then (I received the placebo) have started catching the virus because the vaccine became ineffective seven months later. We do weekly check-ins asking if we have had any symptoms, so they would know if those people started catching it.

They also put out today that the Pfizer vaccine is also effective against the new variants that are out there.

I wish this were true.

Unfortunately, the Pfizer vaccine is far less effective against the variant first identified in South Africa (now found in many other countries including America). 

https://www.webmd.com/vaccines/covid-19-vaccine/news/20210309/s-african-variant-challenges-pfizer-moderna-vaccines

• Like 1

I could be wrong, but I think the 90 day thing had to do with quarantine.  

Wasn't there something about if you were vaccinated and were exposed to someone with Covid and it was within 90 days of you being immunized that you didn't have to quarantine unless you were showing symptoms?  

Sorry, don't know where I read this.  I read so many articles my head is ready to explode!  LOL!

13 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

Edit: The only info I could find on a quick search of the CDC site says "Experts are still learning more about how long vaccines protect against COVID-19 in real-world conditions. CDC will keep the public informed as new evidence becomes available."

Like you, I live in NY State. Governor Cuomo's guidance is that fully vaccinated people can travel out of state without the mandatory quarantine for 90 days after the second dose. After that, you have to go back to the rule of quarantining for theee days, test on the fourth day, free to go out after the test is clear. So if that's any indication, the 90 days rule may be something. I'm already 35 days post my second dose. I'm definitely thinking about what's going to happen when my 90 days are up.

This is the "rule" Cuomo put in:  https://www.syracuse.com/coronavirus/2021/03/ny-relaxes-travel-rules-for-those-who-have-been-vaccinated.html

And this from another article:

Domestic travelers to New York no longer have to quarantine or test negative for COVID-19 if they've been fully vaccinated within the past 90 days

• Governor Cuomo announced the change to New York's travel rules Wednesday 
  • Domestic travelers will no longer be required to quarantine upon arrival in the state if they provide proof that they are 'within 90 days of full vaccination'
  • Cuomo did not elaborate on why the 90-day time limit was implemented
  • His office also did not respond to a request for explanation
  • Experts say it is unclear how long a person will remain immune to COVID-19 after being vaccinated

VACCINATION ALERT

Important information for our age group.

A friend had his 2nd dose of the vaccine at the vaccination center after which he noticed blurred vision on the way home.

When he got home, he called the vaccination center for advice and to ask if he should go see a doctor or be hospitalized.

He was told NOT to go to a doctor or a hospital, but just return to the vaccination center immediately and pick up his glasses!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, winterbliss said:

WHO cautions against vaccine passports for international travel because of numerous concerns....(March 9th). Personally, very glad to see this!

And none of those concerns is based based on security of the "vaccine passport" or privacy concerns.  They simply are advising against it because of inequitable distribution of the vaccine - not just within individual countries but world-wide as the West has dominated the market (though I think at least the US has purchased some to be sent to other countries).

I get what they're saying, but IMO a "vaccine passport" would be immensely helpful for those that can get the vaccine and provide that info, but it can't be the ONLY path to allowing travel.

2 hours ago, hallux said:

And none of those concerns is based based on security of the "vaccine passport" or privacy concerns.  They simply are advising against it because of inequitable distribution of the vaccine - not just within individual countries but world-wide as the West has dominated the market (though I think at least the US has purchased some to be sent to other countries).

I get what they're saying, but IMO a "vaccine passport" would be immensely helpful for those that can get the vaccine and provide that info, but it can't be the ONLY path to allowing travel.

WHO has been pumping for an 'equitable" distribution of the vaccines for weeks.  IOW, we can't return to normal until the whole wide world has been vaccinated.  As we say down south, WHO can take a long walk off a short pier.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

VACCINATION ALERT

Important information for our age group.

A friend had his 2nd dose of the vaccine at the vaccination center after which he noticed blurred vision on the way home.

When he got home, he called the vaccination center for advice and to ask if he should go see a doctor or be hospitalized.

He was told NOT to go to a doctor or a hospital, but just return to the vaccination center immediately and pick up his glasses!

Too funny. Love it.

37 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

This morning P&O join the list of cruise lines who now require evidence of vaccination to board ship.

This needs to be in the form of an approved app (once available) or doctors letter.

And it applies to all ages.

It this is the route that all lines take then it is potentially going to be a big problem for many (including myself). My wife and I will be vaccinated very soon, but we can’t travel without our son for whom there is no prospect of a vaccination for a long while.

Obviously this will only be temporary, but may affect our plans for a while. If our August cruise was to sail (which I don’t expect it to) then we may not be able to go despite the adults in our group being vaccinated.

Edited by KeithJenner

59 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

And it applies to all ages.

It this is the route that all lines take then it is potentially going to be a big problem for many (including myself). My wife and I will be vaccinated very soon, but we can’t travel without our son for whom there is no prospect of a vaccination for a long while.

Obviously this will only be temporary, but may affect our plans for a while. If our August cruise was to sail (which I don’t expect it to) then we may not be able to go despite the adults in our group being vaccinated.

Yes, in the interview they said both shots of vaccine would be require and those (like children) without vaccinations would not be permitted.