Traveling in a RCCL Suite while using a scooter….

I’m traveling on Royal Caribbean for the first time in 20 yo, I’ve only been on NCL in recent years. I just booked on the Oasis of the Seas in an Owner Suite, but I require a scooter for mobility and normally get a HA suite.

Looking online the handicap cabins on RCCL ships only go up to the junior suites and I want a full suite. From the videos I’ve found online the door into the OS enters into the center of the room, so the scooter should fit.

Has anyone traveled in such a room with a scooter? Would you recommend it?

If you’ve traveled in any of the other full suites with a scooter, which one would you recommend? TIA

1 hour ago, SNJCruisers said:

Have not stayed in one, but the Crown Loft Suites on the 4 Oasis Class ships have one that is HC.  The size of the cabin is about the size of the Owners Suite, but the balcony is smaller.  

I think the scooter will fit in any size cabin, at least on Oasis class ships

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, molsonschooner said:

I think the scooter will fit in any size cabin, at least on Oasis class ships

The OP said they want a full size suite and even a junior suite would not satisfy their needs.  There is one Crown Loft HC suite on the Oasis Class ships that seem to fit the bill for what they are seeking, albeit a slightly smaller balcony than the Owners Suite.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

I don't know that a rented scooter will fit through the door on most rooms.

Rented scooters for the most part will only fit thru HC cabin doors.  The OP never stated the width of their scooter and whether they owned one or were renting one.

• Like 1

I am pretty sure there is at least one HA crown loft suite on Oasis class ships.  I saw it on a prior cabin crawl.  The room size is larger than a regular crown loft, and it even has a private elevator to get you up to the second level.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, FAMILYCRUISER514 said:

I just booked on the Oasis of the Seas in an Owner Suite, but I require a scooter for mobility and normally get a HA suite.

Looking online the handicap cabins on RCCL ships only go up to the junior suites and I want a full suite. From the videos I’ve found online the door into the OS enters into the center of the room, so the scooter should fit.

What kind of scooter will you be using?   How large it is will make a difference.   

I would contact Royal's Access Dept and ask whether your scooter will fit through the door of the room you have booked.    You need to contact them anyway because they will request that you complete an accessibility form prior to sailing.     

Access Dept:    (866) 592-7225

or e-mail:    special_needs@rccl.com,

• Like 1

The doors on Suites are larger than standard cabin doorways....there should be PLENTY of space....but if you need an HC bathroom, you may be out of luck.  If you CAN walk, and step over a small "curb" on the shower, you should be fine.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the replies....... You Guys Rock!!!!!!

The one HC suite must have already been booked for my sailing, because it didn't come up as available.

I'm renting a scooter, but the width is only 22" wide.

I will notify the Access Department, I need to notify them of my needs and limitations as well as my littles allergies. 

Lastly I don't need a HC bathroom as long as I can order a bath seat, which the scooter company also supplies.

Again Thank You All

• Like 1

While these are probably more expensive options, you asked about suites and my mom uses a scooter when traveling, and they were in the Owners Panoramic (Star class suite) and her scooter fit fine thru the doorway in that room.  My sister was in the Grand Panoramic and I was in the Star Loft and the scooter also fit in both of our rooms.  The Star Loft has stairs to the bedroom so that probably wouldn’t be an option for you.

I don’t think the scooter fit in the bathroom in any of the suites mainly because I believe there are a couple steps into the bathroom in the Panoramic Suites which may be an issue for you.

The Royal Loft has one bedroom/bathroom upstairs along with one downstairs, so that might work for you, if you are traveling with other people who could use the upstairs bedroom.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, FAMILYCRUISER514 said:

I don't need a HC bathroom as long as I can order a bath seat, which the scooter company also supplies.

Here is a list of accessible equipment you can request from Royal.  There is no charge but you have to let them know a month ahead of time.  

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/experience/accessible-cruising/equipment

• Like 1

We had a Grand Suite on Serenade of the Seas and two family members had scooters.  There was no problem navigating in and out of the suite, even with both scooters.  Plenty of room.  We rented them from a company associated with RCCL.  I can't remember the specific size of the scooters, but I do remember we rented the smaller of the two that were offered.   Keep in mind that in the suites you have a full bath tub, that might take some maneuvering in and out, even with a shower chair provided.  Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, FAMILYCRUISER514 said:

Thanks for all the advice regarding the bathrooms and the supplied Items.

Owners Suites on Oasis have a tub but they also have a stand alone shower that will be easier for you to use.  There are a bunch of videos showing these cabins if you google but here is one that shows you pretty much everything.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, kokopelli-az said:

Here is a list of accessible equipment you can request from Royal.  There is no charge but you have to let them know a month ahead of time.  

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/experience/accessible-cruising/equipment

Dialysis supplies? Do people who need dialysis actually go cruising? That's devotion there.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Dialysis supplies? Do people who need dialysis actually go cruising? That's devotion there.

Many dialysis patients utilize a type of dialysis called “peritoneal dialysis” that does not require the typical machinery that most people associate with dialysis. Basically IV fluids, tubing, and gravity. 

On 3/11/2021 at 5:00 PM, FAMILYCRUISER514 said:

I’m traveling on Royal Caribbean for the first time in 20 yo, I’ve only been on NCL in recent years. I just booked on the Oasis of the Seas in an Owner Suite, but I require a scooter for mobility and normally get a HA suite.

Has anyone traveled in such a room with a scooter? Would you recommend it?

If you’ve traveled in any of the other full suites with a scooter, which one would you recommend? TIA

My husband also uses a scooter and we booked a handicapped accessible suite on Harmony. The Crown Loft in January. I think only one on the ship. I see they book quickly. There is an elevator in the room.

• Like 1