Cruises Restarting for Vaccinated Only, Will You Go...?

NavyCruiser

On 3/19/2021 at 7:43 AM, Sea42 said:

Several times I have seen the mention of fraudulent vaccine records. How is this any different than prior vaccine records? Were they not able to be forged? On sailings that required Yellow Fever vaccines was there an issue with people using fake records?

Harder to forge the actual stamp used for the yellow fever vaccination. 

With the Covid it is just a card with dates, type of vaccine and signatures. Pretty easy to forge.

While one could print the equivalent of the yellow fever stamp on a document, it is easy to detect the difference between a stamped document and a printed one.

Also the documentation for a yellow fever vaccination is pretty standard across countries.  Covid not so much with a range of documents and other methods.

Edited by nocl

On 3/14/2021 at 4:28 PM, NavyCruiser said:

The only requirement are passports & vaccination card showing you're "fully vaccinated" (at least 2 weeks after your 2nd shot).

That is the only way we would cruise...

Joseph

• Like 2

On 3/19/2021 at 2:28 PM, rafinmd said:

At least for Crystal, no exception for under 18.

Roy

So, lets post some thoughts about the under 18 exception being implemented by RCI and Celebrity.  While their heart is in the right place (many families love to cruise together) the exception makes no sense.  The problem for the cruise line is how to best avoid having even a single case of COVID during a cruise.  While folks under 18 do not generally get serious illness from COVID, they do get infected with COVID just like older folks.  So if you have 100 teens and children on a cruise it is very possible that 1 or more of those kids, not having been vaccinated, will catch COVID.  This could easily happen on the trip to the embarkation port (in which case they would likely test negative at embarkation) or even at a port.  Since kids tend to hang together (or are together in kids/teens programs) it is also likely that a single case would very well morph into multiple cases among the children/teens.    While not a major threat to the vaccinated adults aboard, 1 or more cases may well force an early end to the cruise and certainly cause remaining ports to be cancelled.

I think Crystal must have had this in mind with their "no exception" rule.    And by the way, there is no exception for the testing requirements imposed by both the USA (antigen tests) and Canada (PCR tests).   Even a teen/child would not be allowed to return to their country until sufficient time has passed for them to get a physicians letter (this is generally 10 days to 2 weeks).  If there are more then one kid in a traveling family it is also likely that the other kids would also get COVID (this might take a few more days) in which case the delays may even be longer as the family must quarantine until everyone meets the testing and/or physician letter requirements.

Hank

P.S.  Testing is now ongoing to determine safety and efficacy to give vaccines to teens and children.  If and when vaccines are available to kids the problem could easily be resolved with the elimination of "exceptions."

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

So, lets post some thoughts about the under 18 exception being implemented by RCI and Celebrity.  While their heart is in the right place (many families love to cruise together) the exception makes no sense.  The problem for the cruise line is how to best avoid having even a single case of COVID during a cruise.  While folks under 18 do not generally get serious illness from COVID, they do get infected with COVID just like older folks.  So if you have 100 teens and children on a cruise it is very possible that 1 or more of those kids, not having been vaccinated, will catch COVID.  This could easily happen on the trip to the embarkation port (in which case they would likely test negative at embarkation) or even at a port.  Since kids tend to hang together (or are together in kids/teens programs) it is also likely that a single case would very well morph into multiple cases among the children/teens.    While not a major threat to the vaccinated adults aboard, 1 or more cases may well force an early end to the cruise and certainly cause remaining ports to be cancelled.

I think Crystal must have had this in mind with their "no exception" rule.    And by the way, there is no exception for the testing requirements imposed by both the USA (antigen tests) and Canada (PCR tests).   Even a teen/child would not be allowed to return to their country until sufficient time has passed for them to get a physicians letter (this is generally 10 days to 2 weeks).  If there are more then one kid in a traveling family it is also likely that the other kids would also get COVID (this might take a few more days) in which case the delays may even be longer as the family must quarantine until everyone meets the testing and/or physician letter requirements.

Hank

P.S.  Testing is now ongoing to determine safety and efficacy to give vaccines to teens and children.  If and when vaccines are available to kids the problem could easily be resolved with the elimination of "exceptions."

DS told me Michigan is allowing 16 and up starting April 5.  I see Ohio is allowing them to be vaccinated too so perhaps in the next 2 months we can get the much younger generations vaccinated.

• Like 2

On 3/14/2021 at 7:34 PM, AncientWanderer said:

Yes, definitely.

Actually, I've always just assumed that's how it will be -- vaccinations required -- and have booked things with that in mind.   About the masks...I won't go if they are required when onboard, because I like my sea air, but probably would still go if they are required in port stops by local authorities.

My thoughts, exactly!  Anxious to go but not if masks aboard the ship are required.

• Like 2

If everyone on the ship has to be vaccinated (which I am in agreement with), I don’t understand why masks should be required.

I know it’s not a small bubble but CDC has already said if you are both vaccinated, then no mask is necessary.

Hopefully after a few cruises go, we’ll see some restrictions lifted IF everyone is vaccinated.

• Like 3

Our 24 y.o. daughter, with no conditions, got her 1-shot J&J vaccine shot last Wednesday, so by end March, she'll also be considered "fully vaccinated". 

Our 27 y.o. son get his shot next week.  

They both said No to cruising with us fully vaccinated old farts, but rather fly down to Carib all-inclusives instead...

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, NavyCruiser said:

They both said No to cruising with us fully vaccinated old farts, but rather fly down to Carib all-inclusives instead...

I guess this means they didn't catch the cruising bug from their parents? 🤣

Joseph

Edited by rucrazy

13 hours ago, kazu said:

If everyone on the ship has to be vaccinated (which I am in agreement with), I don’t understand why masks should be required.

I know it’s not a small bubble but CDC has already said if you are both vaccinated, then no mask is necessary.

Hopefully after a few cruises go, we’ll see some restrictions lifted IF everyone is vaccinated.

I agree though wearing one would probably prevent cruise crud.

15 hours ago, kazu said:

I agree with you.  

On 3/21/2021 at 12:23 AM, nocl said:

Harder to forge the actual stamp used for the yellow fever vaccination. 

With the Covid it is just a card with dates, type of vaccine and signatures. Pretty easy to forge.

While one could print the equivalent of the yellow fever stamp on a document, it is easy to detect the difference between a stamped document and a printed one.

Also the documentation for a yellow fever vaccination is pretty standard across countries.  Covid not so much with a range of documents and other methods.

Yes, that is a major problem with devising a international policy to avoid fraudulent vaccination cards, and I read that it is under consideration.  In the meantime, however, I believe that each state's Health Department (or the equivalent thereof) keeps records of its residents' vaccinations.  Would it be such a problem to require that anyone carrying a vaccination card and requiring to produce it, also provide an official, state-stamped letter affirming the vaccination card?  Just a thought.

18 hours ago, kazu said:

Wishful thinking. Please re-read the CDC guidelines including"What Hasn't Changed."

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/fully-vaccinated.html

6 hours ago, rucrazy said:

I guess this means they didn't catch the cruising bug from their parents? 🤣

Joseph

Our kids been cruisin' with us since they both barely passed diaper stage, loved the kids club onboard, been on approx 30 out of our 35+ cruises.  However, now that they're 27 & 24 young adults, with jobs, they're paying their own way.

So with their BF & GF, they prefer land based All-Inclusive resorts, mostly in the Carib.  Luckily, flying out of Houston, lots of direct non-stop flights avail.  So total price being almost equal, they prefer land based, as they think it's a better "value", since their T-Mobile plan has free international voice & data (no extra wifi cost on cruise ships), non-motorize beach sports equipment included (no excursions costs), alcohol included at resorts (no onboard drinks plan), gratuities included (no $14.50/pppd onboard grats).  

Also, at least for this next year, no small chance of being quarantined to ship.

Don't totally agree with them, but at least that's how these Millennials think...

• Like 2

On 3/22/2021 at 10:16 AM, StLouisCruisers said:

DS told me Michigan is allowing 16 and up starting April 5.  I see Ohio is allowing them to be vaccinated too so perhaps in the next 2 months we can get the much younger generations vaccinated.

Under 16 will require the pediatric trials to e completed.  You might see the data for  12-16 by late summer.  Under 12 probably not until the end of the year or early 2022.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

Wishful thinking. Please re-read the CDC guidelines including"What Hasn't Changed."

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/fully-vaccinated.html

Suggest you read “what’s changed”.

If you can gather with vaccinated people outside and inside that you know, I’m pretty certain we will see that change as time goes on.

The people I want to eat with are linked with me which by HAL standards puts them in my bubble I believe.

Anyways it’s all for naught as there will be a lot that will change between now and when REAL cruising starts 😉. Time will tell

We have to wait and see (and I can’t say how tired of that expression I am 😉 )

• Like 1

Yes to all on ship being vaccinated. Rapid COVID test at embarkation-denied boarding if positive. On return home you follow whatever your state rules are. For those of you who think a nasal swab is a big deal, it’s not. I have had them before and after all the holidays and trips we’ve taken and although the very 1st one I had early in pandemic was put quite a ways up, now it’s nothing like that. In ports, you follow the rules of that island. Masks? No big deal. We wear them in stores and church and walks no matter where we are. It’s time to start cruising and it’s not going to be like it use to be for awhile, so if you don’t want to follow these rules then don’t go. Find a different type vacation until things get to the way you want. As for me, I can have a good time in the company of others who feel like me so I’m glad to see some cruise lines finally getting off their a—-s and giving it a go with plenty of rules in place. Bon Voyage!

• Like 3

Yes I would go. I can imagine at some point that the Cruise lines will demand everyone onboard to get vaccinated. Masks at ports I would be ok with to a point. I cant imagine wearing a face mask in the Caribbean. But for my Alaskan cruise booked next year then I would be ok with that.

• Like 1

For me, my parents are getting their shot #2 on Tuesday.  Illinois will start under 65 vaccinations on 4/12, and I have registered, just waiting for when my first shot will be.  As of now, it is a no.  It's possible for early 2022 to go if the mask/distancing restrictions are removed.  It's bad enough to be on a plane for a couple of hours to fly there with a mask on, and then keep it on while getting on a bus to go to the port.  And what's the point of enjoying the cruise when you have a mask on? Otherwise, it could be from late 2022 to never in the sense of going.

Edited by saturn93
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, TomBeckCruise said:

We have a cruise to Norway booked this fall. If non vaccinated people are allowed we won't be there.

It's likely strictly a financial decesion for CCL/HAL.  I could care less as long as they decide before final payment. If not we will cancel.

It will be an interesting decision by HAL along with other CV protocols.

• Like 1