Cruise lines requiring COVID-19 vaccination

19 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

I agree with your comment. I think the roll-out is ramping up more than it was and more than has been reported in the media.

Not really sure ramped up is how I would describe it.  Commonwealth Health numbers (they don’t seem to give the numbers who have received 2 doses, and don’t start on disability residential care):

Trend data below.

E014723F-2207-4C2B-8BA2-31A8B5AE61C6.thumb.png.4f38f735efb0c9813acbd12ed7bbf8cb.png

51BD9E43-FD50-49EA-8851-E62DF15F9466.thumb.png.e3936cf4529f613fa3330cba9cd309ee.png

Edited by Docker123

From Covid Live website - 

Vaccinations

STATE FIRST SECOND
Victoria 753,851 70,668
NSW 852,302 93,860
Queensland N/A N/A
WA 300,118 33,479
SA N/A N/A
Tasmania N/A N/A
NT 29,031 8,155
ACT N/A N/A
Aged Care 178,647 134,427
Australia 2,320,041 340,589

QLD, SA, ACT, TAS second doses not reported

At this rate we might have all who want the vaccine, double dosed by 2025 - because we will probably need to add a new “yearly” for those who have been vaccinated in early ‘21 …………… OMG 😳

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Porky55 said:

Rose, your chart is the same as Adrian attached above. He commented that it didn't show second doses, so I attached one that shows second doses for some states/territories and aged care. My chart gives an indication on what is happening in some states and territories.

This is a differnt chart from the same website which shows all the states/territories totals.

VACCINATIONS

Total Doses Administered

STATE DOSES VAR NET
Victoria 893,227   -
NSW 1,052,533   -
Queensland 673,729   -
WA 361,710   -
SA 257,411   -
Tasmania 112,357   -
NT 40,086   -
ACT 81,821   -
Australia 3,472,874   -

Leigh

Edited by possum52

6 hours ago, possum52 said:

This is a differnt chart from the same website which shows all the states/territories totals.

Leigh,

So it is - I should read everything 😉

It takes some of the states some time to get their numbers in each day by the looks  - still seems as though it is going to take a lonnnnng time to give everyone first and second doses at this rate 🤔

We won’t be cruising any time soon will we?

Rose

Edited by Porky55
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Porky55 said:

At this rate we might have all who want the vaccine, double dosed by 2025 - because we will probably need to add a new “yearly” for those who have been vaccinated in early ‘21 …………… OMG 😳

So the borders might not open until 2025 then, feasible.  By that year there will be no cruise companies, gone to Gowings.

800px-Gowings_signage_on_George_St_in_August_2010.JPG.4b74810ed8108409b545a14ab8e7212b.JPG

Edited by NSWP
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

It takes some of the states some time to get their numbers in each day by the looks  - still seems as though it is going to take a lonnnnng time to give everyone first and second doses at this rate 🤔

Rose

I believe that the vaccination rate will increase, however, those opposing vaccination without a valid medical reason will remain a problem. Some are anti-vaxxers (nothing can be done about them) and others are complacent believing that they needn't have the vaccination because COVID isn't rampant in our community. To them I have to say "yet".

I believe that, unless a person has a valid reason why vaccination is unwise for them medically, we all should have it. This is not only for our own safety, but for the community to help prevent the spread to those who can't have the vaccine.

As for cruising - I have reluctantly come to the conclusion that we won't see large cruise ships here before the federal election. It has been said that this will be in 'the autumn' - presumably April-May 2022.

Edited by Aus Traveller
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I believe that the vaccination rate will increase, however, those opposing vaccination without a valid medical reason will remain a problem. Some are anti-vaxxers (nothing can be done about them) and others are complacent believing that they needn't have the vaccination because COVID isn't rampant in our community. To them I have to say "yet".

I believe that, unless a person has a valid reason why vaccination is unwise for them medically, we all should have it. This is not only for our own safety, but for the community to help prevent the spread to those who can't have the vaccine.

As for cruising - I have reluctantly come to the conclusion that we won't see large cruise ships here before the federal election. It has been said that this will be in 'the autumn' - presumably April-May 2022.

And many who refuse the jab are just 'scared.'  I don't blame the government for keeping our borders closed because of vaccination rates. I don't think the vaccination rate per capita will increase at all, so we will end up in a country with 1 in 3 not vaccinated and at risk of catching covid and infecting others, fools.

I was talking with my daughter yesterday and she is 42 but wants to wait before having vaccination. Not against but she has an autoimmune disease so worried. I have had a different autoimmune disease for 40 years but had my vaccination as soon as I could book. Her idea is so different to mine, yet she has had all vaccinations up to now. 

All it takes is a breakout from quarantine, picked up by someone who then attends a superspreader event (like at the Northern Beaches just before Christmas) and you have another big outbreak. The Northern Beaches outbreak was actually quite contained in that it happened right at the far end of the Northern Beaches and didn't really get loose in the rest of Sydney. But if the superspreader event happened in a place where people come to from all over in one of the major cities, and many of those people aren't vaccinated, then those people who have been delaying getting vaccinated are going to panic. What they don't think of is that you don't have the full coverage of the vaccine until two weeks after your second shot, which is 14 weeks after the initial shot.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kate59 said:

I was talking with my daughter yesterday and she is 42 but wants to wait before having vaccination. Not against but she has an autoimmune disease so worried. I have had a different autoimmune disease for 40 years but had my vaccination as soon as I could book. Her idea is so different to mine, yet she has had all vaccinations up to now. 

kate59, you might want to point out to your daughter that the vaccine doesn't give maximum protection until two weeks after getting the second shot, and it's twelve weeks between shots. So even if she does get vaccinated soon she won't get the full benefits until September or later.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Porky55 said:

Leigh,

So it is - I should read everything 😉

Rose

Evidently the states/territories without stats don't usually do a breakdown of first and second doses or not every day anyway. This is the chart of yesterday's numbers - 

SECOND DOSES

Total Second Doses Administered

STATE FIRST SECOND
Victoria 771,723 72,167
NSW 879,307 96,266
Queensland N/A N/A
WA 307,587 34,417
SA N/A N/A
Tasmania N/A N/A
NT N/A N/A
ACT N/A N/A
Aged Care 183,522 136,553
Australia 2,350,625 339,403

We are just back from our Murray river cruise and agree with the positives previously mentioned.

Fellow passengers were from other states and a few from SA.

ACT AND TASMANIA had no one on board.

Some were from retirement villages who had booked pre Covid when Proud Mary agents  had travelled and marketed the trip and add ons.

Interesting hearing their mixed accounts of their Covid vaccine experiences so far.

Most had not been fully vaccinated or like us still to get the first.

Someone thought they could get the vaccine of choice by paying a fee??

Slow going in SA.

Police here are complaining about medihotel/ covid duties taking them away from their crime duties, according to reports.

They want private security to do it?

Hopefully it will be safe whoever does it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pully8 said:

Someone thought they could get the vaccine of choice by paying a fee??

Not possible. I do hope for all their sakes that we don't get an outbreak into the community as they are the ones most at risk.

13 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

All it takes is a breakout from quarantine, picked up by someone who then attends a superspreader event (like at the Northern Beaches just before Christmas) and you have another big outbreak. The Northern Beaches outbreak was actually quite contained in that it happened right at the far end of the Northern Beaches and didn't really get loose in the rest of Sydney. But if the superspreader event happened in a place where people come to from all over in one of the major cities, and many of those people aren't vaccinated, then those people who have been delaying getting vaccinated are going to panic. What they don't think of is that you don't have the full coverage of the vaccine until two weeks after your second shot, which is 14 weeks after the initial shot.

Six weeks between shots, not 14.

1 hour ago, Russell21 said:

Six weeks between shots, not 14.

As Kate 59 said 12 weeks is the recommended time between shots for the AstraZeneca vaccine. The 2 weeks for full vaccine coverage to take affect. We had our first AZ shot on April 6th, our next one is scheduled for June 29th.

Leigh

• Like 2

Here in BC they stretched the time between shots at 14 weeks due to the shortage of vaccine and we adopted the get more 1st doses administered approach (I did not agree with that but it is what it is). Now that we seem to have a much better supply there is talk of closing the gap. We do have a supply of AZ that expires at the end of the month and that will be used for 2nd shots. As a matter of fact any AZ supply we have coming will be used for second shots until all the AZ people are fully vaccinated. At least that is my understanding. Meanwhile we have been getting more shipments of Pfizer and Moderna in a more timely manner.

1 hour ago, kate59 said:

12 weeks for AZ. 

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

As Kate 59 said 12 weeks is the recommended time between shots for the AstraZeneca vaccine. The 2 weeks for full vaccine coverage to take affect. We had our first AZ shot on April 6th, our next one is scheduled for June 29th.

Leigh

Well we had our AZ last Thursday the 19th at our local Medical Centre and we are booked for our second shot on Wednesday the 30th June, all 8 doctors at the centre are doing the same timing.

8 minutes ago, Tranquility Base said:

What is the speculation in Canada as to the percentage of the population over 16yrs who will take up the vaccines ?

I really don't know to tell you the truth. I think right now the tactic is to advertise that all the  approved  vaccines in Canada are safe and effective and people are registering and taking appointments at what is though to be an acceptable rate. I suspect we will continue like this until demand wains and then there will be a more active campaign to encourage people to get vaccinated. After that I hope we tell the antivaxxers to get stuffed they're on their own (perhaps that problem will take a natural solution)

There is bold talk of 75% of Canadians fully vaccinated before the end of summer. We will see.

Our mob are not scared enough as we have had it so good apart from Victoria. It would serve the anti mob and the cowards right if the Gov bowed to pressure and said OK you lot, you had your chance, we are throwing the borders open, no 2 weeks quarantine required. As far as I'm concerned if they don't want to be saved then they can take their chances.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

Well we had our AZ last Thursday the 19th at our local Medical Centre and we are booked for our second shot on Wednesday the 30th June, all 8 doctors at the centre are doing the same timing.

The AZ shots can be given 4 -12 weeks apart but the recommendation from the TGA is 12 weeks. Which is what all the mass vaccination clinics and many GPs are doing. 

TGA Recommendation Times for AZ Vaccines

Do people have to receive two doses and do they have to be the same type of COVID-19 vaccine for it to be effective?

Yes, it is important that every person who receives a COVID-19 vaccine receive the full two-dose course of a vaccine. Both Pfizer and AstraZeneca require 2 doses to provide the best immunity. Pfizer doses are given at least 21 days apart. AstraZeneca doses can be given 4 – 12 weeks apart, but the Australian Technical Advisory Group in Immunisation recommend doses should be 12 weeks apart. When it’s your turn to get the COVID-19 vaccine, you will be able to make that equally important follow up appointment.

It is important you get the same type of COVID-19 vaccine. This is because the evidence from clinical trials shows this is effective and is what is approved for use by the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA).

Leigh

Edited by possum52