The Daily for Wednesday Mar 24, 2021

richwmn

Good morning, all. I like today’s quote, and enjoy all the pictures of Sydney, Nova Scotia. We haven’t been there yet, but hope to get it in on a Canada New England cruise in fall of 2022.

A couple of weeks ago I mentioned my BIL in Montreal and his wife had their jabs. They were eligible because of his COPD, which made them move into an apartment in an assisted living complex. His COPD took a sudden turn for the worse Monday and he was rushed to the hospital. Yesterday he was put on a ventilator, and the prognosis is not good. 
How ironic to have this happen so soon after being vaccinated and for reasons unrelated to Covid or the vaccine. There is nothing we can do but pray and wait.

In the meantime, stay safe, and wait for better times to come, and a return to our BHB’s.

401E0E64-32D2-42AC-AC28-14CCB55A7106.thumb.jpeg.00046ae30f4ae1e3acc26e9bf7191aa5.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 4

Our next stop on the Shanghai excursion was a ride on the super fast Shanghai maglev train or Shanghai Transrapid. Maglev stands for magnetic levitation train and the German-made one in Shanghai is the first commercial high-speed maglev with a cruising speed of 268 mph (there were others in Birmingham, UK and in Berlin, Germany). It is also the fastest commercial electric train in the world. The train line connects Longyang Road Station, located in the outskirts of central Pudong with Shanghai Pudong International Airport. At full speed, the journey takes 7 minutes and 20 seconds to complete a distance of 18.6 miles. A train can reach 350 km/h - 217 mph in 2 minutes, with the maximum normal operation speed of 431 km/h (268 mph) reached thereafter. The ride is very comfortable ad one really does not have any notion that you're traveling at such high speeds if it wasn't for the LED displays inside the car. A very interesting experience indeed! 

053.JPG

054.JPG

055.JPG

056.JPG

057.JPG

058.JPG

060.JPG

061.JPG

062.JPG

063.JPG

064.JPG

066.JPG

068.JPG

069.JPG

070.JPG

072.JPG

• Like 25

52 minutes ago, NextOne said:

I'm pleased to report that DH came home from orthopedic rehab yesterday, after three weeks. In-home PT & OT will begin soon. The visiting nurse stops by tomorrow, so everything is progressing!

So good to hear.  Great news, indeed 👍 

• Like 7

Good Afternoon Everyone,

I have not posted in the last few days Grateful for all the positive posts. Also very thankful that my BIL was on the prayer list. Unfortunately he passed last night. Very sad time again for our family.  He was only 66. This terrible virus has affected so many lives.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 15

9 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

His COPD took a sudden turn for the worse Monday and he was rushed to the hospital. Yesterday he was put on a ventilator, and the prognosis is not good. 

I am so sorry to hear this.  Our prayers are with him and you 🙏🏻 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, cunnorl said:

Good Afternoon Everyone,

I have not posted in the last few days Grateful for all the positive posts. Also very thankful that my BIL was on the prayer list. Unfortunately he passed last night. Very sad time again for our family.  He was only 66. This terrible virus has affected so many lives.

I am so sorry to hear this. 

Roy

• Like 8

58 minutes ago, NextOne said:

Good morning! A great selection of days, Rich, and thank you Roy for the lists of concerns and shoutouts!

I'm pleased to report that DH came home from orthopedic rehab yesterday, after three weeks. In-home PT & OT will begin soon. The visiting nurse stops by tomorrow, so everything is progressing! We see the surgeon on Friday to get an update on how the leg is healing. It's all good.

The chemo continues and he's due for a CT scan soon to see whether the cancer has traveled anywhere else. We're hopeful that the last radiation treatments may have eradicated it. We'll see!

Thanks for all your kinds thoughts and prayers!

This is wonderful news!

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

A couple of weeks ago I mentioned my BIL in Montreal and his wife had their jabs. They were eligible because of his COPD, which made them move into an apartment in an assisted living complex. His COPD took a sudden turn for the worse Monday and he was rushed to the hospital. Yesterday he was put on a ventilator, and the prognosis is not good. 
How ironic to have this happen so soon after being vaccinated and for reasons unrelated to Covid or the vaccine. There is nothing we can do but pray and wait.

So sorry to hear this.

Roy

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

@DeeniEncinitasjust for you, some pictures of the OTHER Sydney!

371F9443-6EAD-4DBF-90DC-3C77A0AAF32D.thumb.jpeg.bd90a4d97d00ab8933d961f2b2bf527b.jpeg

Sailing into Sydney Harbour. The landmark bridge is locally called The Coat Hanger.

C82564A4-FC31-4606-81C4-6AA2BECAB6DF.thumb.jpeg.ba91d3890b6fc15bf6a2748c5fc6bc1f.jpeg

46AC03F8-69BA-41AA-B7A5-25693FC07E5B.thumb.jpeg.3c6efa7baf0c909a554c6431915f22a2.jpeg

Looking across at the Opera House from a park at the base of the bridge. In the top picture you can see the Ruby Princess, bringing the virus scare to Australia.

6F421301-0F70-418F-96B6-9EDD5B0DF412.thumb.jpeg.88d9e0e4d7e587552f44526d1113d3c3.jpeg

2DB3CDEE-98D0-44A6-98CA-235A40FCECC5.thumb.jpeg.8398d7e43651d8132b24cc1ed2fbddcc.jpeg

Darling Harbour, a popular waterfront tourist spot.

1EF9E0A1-E35D-476D-AB6D-CAC5FAD10729.thumb.jpeg.a2570ae6178b1f47e6e5f08ee6b73189.jpeg

A large, terrifying looking bird officially called Australian White Ibis. Locally it is called a Bin Chicken, due its fondness for garbage picking.

5FF10632-7E57-4BF4-906F-1822CD4C9B75.thumb.jpeg.42953d2a5991ea091b9a776199bfb330.jpeg

Our sailaway view of the Opera House and The Coat Hanger as we wave goodbye.

• Like 23

7 minutes ago, cunnorl said:

Good Afternoon Everyone,

I am so sorry to hear this and saddened for you and your family.  Thoughts and prayers coming your way.

Sharon

• Like 5

1 hour ago, NextOne said:

I'm pleased to report that DH came home from orthopedic rehab yesterday, after three weeks. In-home PT & OT will begin soon. The visiting nurse stops by tomorrow, so everything is progressing! We see the surgeon on Friday to get an update on how the leg is healing. It's all good.

Excellent news.  Is he still waiting for his second jab?  Do I also remember that you have a cruise booked to celebrate his recovery?

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Good morning, all. I like today’s quote, and enjoy all the pictures of Sydney, Nova Scotia. We haven’t been there yet, but hope to get it in on a Canada New England cruise in fall of 2022.

In the meantime, stay safe, and wait for better times to come, and a return to our BHB’s.

401E0E64-32D2-42AC-AC28-14CCB55A7106.thumb.jpeg.00046ae30f4ae1e3acc26e9bf7191aa5.jpeg

Oh Laura, I am so sorry to hear about your brother-in-law. Prayers winging their way for him & the entire family. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Prayers for your BIL and your family.

14 minutes ago, cunnorl said:

Good Afternoon Everyone,

So sorry to hear this and for your loss.

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, cunnorl said:

Good Afternoon Everyone,

Oh Charlene, I am so sorry. I’ve noticed you’ve been absent for a few days, and worried that this was why. My condolences to you and your family.

• Like 8

18 minutes ago, cunnorl said:

Good Afternoon Everyone,

Charlene

I also noticed you were absent and feared your Brother-in-law was worse.  I am so sorry. Prayers for him and for the entire family. 

• Like 8

20 minutes ago, cunnorl said:

Good Afternoon Everyone,

I am so sorry to hear this 😢 Our deepest sympathies to his family and you.  Our prayers are with him and all of you 🙏🏻 

• Like 7

Good morning everyone!  Thanks to Rich and Roy and all the posters that make this Daily happen each day.

I usually only drink cocktails on a cruise ship and not a fan of chocolate covered raisins, I like them separate.  Yay for achievers.  The wine would be one of our faves since it is a NZ Sauv Blanc but I've never seen Spy Valley here.  I'll pass on the chicken, not sure what we are having yet tonight.

I've been to Sydney, NS twice and Craig has been there once.  The first time was with my DM September 2005 on the Maasdam, Montreal to Boston.  We took the tour that went to the Fortress of Louisbourg and I believe we had lunch there too, although I could be misremembering.

Then the three of us went together August 2009 on the Eurodam, New York to Quebec City.  I can't find my pictures and they might be on our old hard drive, I'll have Craig check later when he's off work.  We didn't do a tour this time, just walked around and looked at the church and I remember visiting a heritage house, then we took DM back to the ship and Craig and I went looking for lunch in town.  I also think this is where we found a wine shop and drank a few glasses and bought a few bottles for our room.  I'm interested in what everyone else has done there because we will be there October 2022 and I'd like to do something different.

Have a great day everyone!

Just looked it up and it was Cossit House that we visited.  I really enjoyed it.

Edited by Sharon in AZ
Added Cossit House
  • Like 18

40 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

I am so sorry to hear this.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

@Horizon chaser 1957 COPD can be pretty nasty; prayers for a recovery for your BIL.

@cunnorl Prayers with you also. 66 is too young, and seeming younger all the time.

On another note: The grass in Skykomish was green this morning when we got up, but it is quickly turning white. Love the sweet spring snows in the mountains.

Here is a picture from out our kitchen window:

848760590_march242021.thumb.JPG.79cd68200eb74d464b007f05c1864a26.JPG

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, cunnorl said:

Good Afternoon Everyone,

I am so sorry for your loss!  Sending prayers for strength and peace! 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, NextOne said:

The chemo continues and he's due for a CT scan soon to see whether the cancer has traveled anywhere else. We're hopeful that the last radiation treatments may have eradicated it. We'll see!

Such great news!  And prayers on a clean report after the CT.

Looking forward to meeting you both and enjoying our port of the day (Sydney, NS) with you October 2022!

• Like 12