Return to normalcy?

1 hour ago, yogimax said:

As of yesterday, Florida had a positivity rate of 13th worst out of 50 states.  That means 37 states are doing the same or better.  Not very successful if you ask me.

Case counts are becoming increasingly meaningless, same with positivity rates. People with the sniffles who have been vaccinated aren't going to go get tested. I would expect positivity to go up and test counts to drop out.

In terms of hospitalizations per capita, NY is still the highest by far at 246 per million... DC is up there too, and so is NJ. Florida is clustered with four other states ranked 6th-11th with about 154 per million. Hawaii is the lowest at 19 per million, and the wild wild western states are low, too. Could Florida's numbers be lower? Maybe. The northeast as a region has about the same population density as Florida, and the hospitalization rate is almost identical, though the restrictions and disruptions to daily life are a world apart. It's hard to point at another state and use as an example of what Florida could or should be doing, since frankly the data right now doesn't support it.

Edited by lizzius
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, yogimax said:

Actually, as of yesterday, NY was 14th best, Florida 13th worst.  I have many friends in Florida.  I worry about their well being.

So Florida is 13th worst for positivity yet their hospitals are not bursting at the seems. Interesting.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ocean Boy said:

So Florida is 13th worst for positivity yet their hospitals are not bursting at the seems. Interesting.

Testing in many ways is not a good measurement for Covid.  It’s always been about over running our hospitals and with few exceptions, HAS NOT happened here in Florida, an open State. It kind of kills the theories going on at the Federal level. Sure makes some famous and TV personalities. Florida makes their policies look bad. 

M8

• Like 8

39 minutes ago, yogimax said:

You must be very proud of yourself...sounds like it!

BTW, here are the Death rates from Covid by State. We worry about our friends in NJ/NJ as they are the two highest. Florida is way down the list. Your friends are better off here and should be concerned for you. 

M8

https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/public-health/us-coronavirus-deaths-by-state-july-1.html

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

And why should it matter how many people are in that vaccinated group? It is either safe or it isn't for vaccinated to be together unmasked.

Then they wonder why many people question or ignore the CDC recommendations.

Without going into the complications presented by different vaccines. I think we can agree that no vaccine is 100% effective at preventing infection in all subjects. Let us say that 1% of those vaccinated do not develop a sufficient immune response to prevent infection. In a group of 5 people there is a very small chance of two people not having immunity so the chance of on infecting another is very small. In a group of 1,000 there is a very good chance of at least two people not being immune ...

18 minutes ago, CaroleSS said:

I'm not seeing Florida on this graph, but it appears that the states that are locked down the tightest are the top of the list.....hmmmmmm.

Indeed, FL reports significantly lower deaths from covid than many other states. But I don't think it reasonable to conclude from this that lockdowns and mask wearing have no impact.

53 minutes ago, broberts said:

Without going into the complications presented by different vaccines. I think we can agree that no vaccine is 100% effective at preventing infection in all subjects. Let us say that 1% of those vaccinated do not develop a sufficient immune response to prevent infection. In a group of 5 people there is a very small chance of two people not having immunity so the chance of on infecting another is very small. In a group of 1,000 there is a very good chance of at least two people not being immune.

Yeah, I know how math works. So are those two people going to overwhelm the hospital system? Even if they do develop symtoms the chances are they are not going to become ill enough to even have to go to the hospital. And by your logic there will always be someone who is susceptible, either subpar response to inoculation or unvaccinated, so I guess my friend Ace is correct, it will be masks forever. I think not.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Yeah, I know how math works. So are those two people going to overwhelm the hospital system? Even if they do develop symtoms the changes are they are not going to become ill enough to even have to go to the hospital. And by your logic there will always be someone who is susceptible, either subpar response to inoculation or unvaccinated, so I guess my friend Ace is correct, it will be masks forever. I think not.

Man your on a roll today. Two great posts. Thanks 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/24/2021 at 2:26 PM, BenCroski said:

With RC starting up sailings again this summer and requiring vaccines for 18+ . Does this mean masks and social distancing are out the window? My main concern for going on one of the first sailings was the absolute misery that would come from wearing a mask on the pool deck. Fingers crossed this is the case.

I believe that masks will be worn until early 2023.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, broberts said:

Indeed, FL reports significantly lower deaths from covid than many other states. But I don't think it reasonable to conclude from this that lockdowns and mask wearing have no impact.

It's useless to compare any states numbers to Florida as its seems Florida is  consistently under reporting cases & deaths claiming "backlog" or "non-resident"  death (ignoring the fact that the non-resident may spend 8 months of the year living in Florida, contracted covid there and died there) or changing the rules as to what constitutes of Covid death.

Below are just a few links dating back to the beginning of the pandemic last year.  I could probably find another dozen if I try hard enough. You don't even need to click into the line to read the report, the title says it all.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/coronavirus/fl-ne-florida-coronavirus-deaths-delays-explanation-20201024-jb2qc2plcvedzi6hg2e4rq2bke-story.html

https://www.wfla.com/community/health/coronavirus/covid-19-death-toll-could-be-higher-than-floridas-data-shows-cdc-says/

https://www.tcpalm.com/story/opinion/columnists/gil-smart/2020/12/18/floridas-covid-19-numbers-worse-than-we-know-some-say-yes-opinion/6531877002/

https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/public-health/florida-state-officials-not-releasing-medical-examiners-coronavirus-death-data.html?utm_campaign=bhr&utm_source=website&utm_content=related

https://www.salon.com/2020/12/16/desantis-faces-renewed-scrutiny-following-discovery-of-mysterious-gap-in-floridas-covid-death-tally/

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, broberts said:

Also, people seem to think that death is the only bad thing that can come of this virus. That is obviously not the case.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

Yeah, I know how math works. So are those two people going to overwhelm the hospital system? Even if they do develop symtoms the chances are they are not going to become ill enough to even have to go to the hospital. And by your logic there will always be someone who is susceptible, either subpar response to inoculation or unvaccinated, so I guess my friend Ace is correct, it will be masks forever. I think not.

Consider the big picture. As long as transmissions are taking place and before we have enough people vaccinated there is a need to minimize infections. So a single unlikely event when multiplied by the millions of contacts that occur every day can lead to another outbreak somewhere.

I don't understand why you are convinced mask wearing will be permanent. Or is this just a dog whistle?

4 minutes ago, broberts said:

Consider the big picture. As long as transmissions are taking place and before we have enough people vaccinated there is a need to minimize infections. So a single unlikely event when multiplied by the millions of contacts that occur every day can lead to another outbreak somewhere.

I don't understand why you are convinced mask wearing will be permanent. Or is this just a dog whistle?

Where have I ever said mask wearing will be permanent, never mind convinced? Please show me. You have to be confusing me with someone else. And I don't know what your dog whistle expression means.

I think you are missing the big picture. A fully vaccinated group, no matter the number of people in the group, is very different from an unvaccinated or mixed group. If the CDC has deemed that a vaccinated group is safe workout masks then it should not hinge on the number of people in the group. It is either safe or it is not. And I didn't even have to use any math.😇

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Coralc said:

HaHaHa! Los Angeles is not a state. And it is not representative of the rest of the state. :classic_tongue::classic_biggrin:

That's the problem with those home made charts. 😂

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Where have I ever said mask wearing will be permanent, never mind convinced?

3 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

so I guess my friend Ace is correct, it will be masks forever.

26 minutes ago, broberts said:

And what were the next three words?

I'll remind you so you don't have to scroll back..... I think not.

The sarcasm in referencing "my friend Ace" was apparently lost on you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, vacationlover_mn said:

Could you post a link to the chart?  I prefer looking at the per capita numbers, instead of total numbers.  I haven’t found a chart online that is as clear and simple as that one.  Thx!

Here is one for States, Provinces not included....

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1109011/coronavirus-covid19-death-rates-us-by-state/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, vacationlover_mn said:

Could you post a link to the chart?  I prefer looking at the per capita numbers, instead of total numbers.  I haven’t found a chart online that is as clear and simple as that one.  Thx!

I'm pretty sure that was a home made chart as there was no source information listed. There was one earlier by the same poster but was deleted before I could respond. 

There have been several other  instances in the past of the same thing. I'm sensing a trend. 😆

4 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I'm pretty sure that was a home made chart as there was no source information listed. There was one earlier by the same poster but was deleted before I could respond. 

There have been several other  instances in the past of the same thing. I'm sensing a trend. 😆

Try this one. Not homemade. 

M8

https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/public-health/us-coronavirus-deaths-by-state-july-1.html

• Like 1

14 hours ago, HBE4 said:

It's useless to compare any states numbers to Florida as its seems Florida is  consistently under reporting cases & deaths claiming "backlog" or "non-resident"  death (ignoring the fact that the non-resident may spend 8 months of the year living in Florida, contracted covid there and died there) or changing the rules as to what constitutes of Covid death.

Below are just a few links dating back to the beginning of the pandemic last year.  I could probably find another dozen if I try hard enough. You don't even need to click into the line to read the report, the title says it all.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/coronavirus/fl-ne-florida-coronavirus-deaths-delays-explanation-20201024-jb2qc2plcvedzi6hg2e4rq2bke-story.html

https://www.wfla.com/community/health/coronavirus/covid-19-death-toll-could-be-higher-than-floridas-data-shows-cdc-says/

https://www.tcpalm.com/story/opinion/columnists/gil-smart/2020/12/18/floridas-covid-19-numbers-worse-than-we-know-some-say-yes-opinion/6531877002/

https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/public-health/florida-state-officials-not-releasing-medical-examiners-coronavirus-death-data.html?utm_campaign=bhr&utm_source=website&utm_content=related

https://www.salon.com/2020/12/16/desantis-faces-renewed-scrutiny-following-discovery-of-mysterious-gap-in-floridas-covid-death-tally/

These really don’t matter. It’s always been about overrunning our healthcare system and hospitals. With few exceptions, Florida Hospitals have not been overrun and still maintaining a 20-25% average ICU bed availability, which is normal. 

Just more Doom and Gloom from the same few. 

This link doesn’t remove people based on  Residency.

M8

https://bi.ahca.myflorida.com/t/ABICC/views/Public/ICUBedsCounty?%3AshowAppBanner=false&%3Adisplay_count=n&%3AshowVizHome=n&%3Aorigin=viz_share_link&%3AisGuestRedirectFromVizportal=y&%3Aembed=y&%3AdeepLinkingDisabled=y

Edited by Milwaukee Eight
  • Thanks 1