Ready to Sail? Will you exercise your voice?

Sam.Seattle

Will you commit to writing your elected officials today supporting US Ports to reopen July 2021?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Will you commit to writing your elected officials today supporting US Ports to reopen July 2021?

• YES! I support US Ports opening in July 2021
    • NO! Us Ports should remain closed

3 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Like it or not, this is not a political issue, to oversimply it, you're either pro-doctor or pro-business.  I personally know some on the right folks (one who originally thought it was a hoax until he was hospitalized) who are pro-doctor and some on the left folks who are pro-business.

Right or wrong (opinions will vary) FL doesn't want to lose its cruise home status to islands in the Caribbean.

Cruise companies pay taxes despite not being not being flagged here.  Port taxes, income tax for non-ship crew, supply tax while in port and have to pay tax on them.  In the U.S., in 2019, Carnival Corp. paid $71 million in taxes on $3.06 billion in income. In the same year, Royal Caribbean Cruises, Ltd. paid $25.5 million in taxes on $1.8 billion in income, and Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings paid $18.9 million in taxes on more than $911 million in income.

How do I get into those tax brackets?  

1 hour ago, TrulyBlonde said:

I already voted YES on the link that was on the Royal Caribbean board. Assume others have too.

You can still vote on this independent poll.  The link probably might only allow one vote per address.   

10 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

We have heard from Cruises line officials that it will take between 60 and 90 days to gather staff, re-stock the larders, do test cruises, pass all engineering and health requirements and be ready to cruise.  

so any decision to open for business in July would need to be made around April 1, or within the next month.   Keep that timeline in mind.

by the time your plea reaches any elected officials, works it way through the backlog of emails and makes its way off their deputies’ desk, and they decide on any positive action, it’s pretty much too late for a US opening in July, IMO.

Focusing on the bolded part, this is why I say September at the earliest.  By July 1st the US, and most of the world, should know where the population stands in terms of being vaccinated, especially in countries where cruise lines go to and leave from.  I firmly believe by December cruising will be a "full go" with passengers being required to be vaccinated along with the entire crew.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, hcat said:

I clicked on the link from another thread but just saw the poll for the first time and added my vote. Surprised at the results esp for a Cruise - oriented Community

One industry and all those related to it are hurting economically due to ongoing refusal  of CDC to  even consider approval of a  few test cruises with limited number of fully vacinated and neg  tested crew and passengers.   What does  the current science show?

LET'S GET CRUISING AGAIN!

As far as I can tell no cruise line has even requested to do a test cruise.  As such the CDC has not declined any requests, because none have been made.  There certainly have not been any announcements by any cruise lines of any requests and that they have been denied.

12 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Like it or not, this is not a political issue, to oversimply it, you're either pro-doctor or pro-business.  I personally know some on the right folks (one who originally thought it was a hoax until he was hospitalized) who are pro-doctor and some on the left folks who are pro-business.

Right or wrong (opinions will vary) FL doesn't want to lose its cruise home status to islands in the Caribbean.

Cruise companies pay taxes despite not being not being flagged here.  Port taxes, income tax for non-ship crew, supply tax while in port and have to pay tax on them.  In the U.S., in 2019, Carnival Corp. paid $71 million in taxes on $3.06 billion in income. In the same year, Royal Caribbean Cruises, Ltd. paid $25.5 million in taxes on $1.8 billion in income, and Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings paid $18.9 million in taxes on more than $911 million in income.

Since you brought up taxes, your total runs roughly 110 million. 

In 2019 the cruise lines had a total of 38 billion in revenue.  For comparison the total spend of all tourists in the state of Florida was spent around 90 billion in the state.  That spend resulted in 13 billion in Federal tax revenue and 11.4 billion in state and local taxes.  For comparison if the cruise line revenue was spent on land vacations the amount of taxes generated would be about 5.46 billion in federal taxes and 4.8 billion in local taxes.

Unfortunately the cruise lines are foreign companies that pay little in taxes, though they do buy some things from the ports in the US most of the money spend on cruising leaves the country. So the little taxes they do pay in the US is not much in the scheme of things.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, upwarduk said:

There should also be another option for those of us who don’t reside in USA.

We also cruise.

you could also do the work to start your own poll, so there is that...

Edited by LGW59

1 hour ago, rhblake said:

Sam.Seattle - Are you trying to shame people by showing how they voted? Most voting is anonymous.

Shame...  Why would anyone be ashamed?  Is there a good vs. bad position associated with your vote?  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rhblake said:

Sam.Seattle - Are you trying to shame people by showing how they voted? Most voting is anonymous.

Not sure what the issue is. The poll clearly states the votes can be displayed. When you build a poll, you can choose to make it anonymous but this one wasn’t and stated so.....and why would it be anonymous?

Well, I just realized a good reason.......I was about to ‘trick the system’ and vote 24 more times, but that darn Sam.Seattle make votes open. Rats!!

And there is a good reason to see the votes: If someone votes ‘No’ and then we see they are on some Roll Call or a cruise on their signature in July or so, we can yell at them: “what the heck are you doing?!?”. And if someone votes ‘Yes’ but doesn’t sign up for a cruise we can yell at them: “What are you waiting for!?!?”.

Fun for all.

Den 

Edited by Denny01
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, rhblake said:

How is it shaming??  All one needs to do is click on the "yes" or "no" icon and can see how anyone voted...

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

This quiz thread reminds me of the true or false interactive game show held between evening shows on a Celebrity cruise. Too bad we probably have to wait until at least May before we hear the final answer. 

I'm from Boston, where we vote early and often!

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, nocl said:

As far as I can tell no cruise line has even requested to do a test cruise.  As such the CDC has not declined any requests, because none have been made.  There certainly have not been any announcements by any cruise lines of any requests and that they have been denied.

Looks like the "test cruises" will  be the ones from Barbados, Bermuda and St Maarten .  Hopefully they will be successful in showing  it can  work.Obviously non binding  but perhaps persuasive..Time will tell

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, hcat said:

Looks like the "test cruises" will  be the ones from Barbados, Bermuda and St Maarten .  Hopefully they will be successful in showing  it can  work.Obviously non binding  but perhaps persuasive..Time will tell

They probably will not influence CDC.  Unless they submit provide the CDC with the protocols,  meet test requirements, meet CDC reporting requirements and potentially allow a CDC observer on board.   

• Like 3

On 3/29/2021 at 12:01 PM, Denny01 said:

Not sure what the issue is. The poll clearly states the votes can be displayed. When you build a poll, you can choose to make it anonymous but this one wasn’t and stated so.....and why would it be anonymous?

Well, I just realized a good reason.......I was about to ‘trick the system’ and vote 24 more times, but that darn Sam.Seattle make votes open. Rats!!

And there is a good reason to see the votes: If someone votes ‘No’ and then we see they are on some Roll Call or a cruise on their signature in July or so, we can yell at them: “what the heck are you doing?!?”. And if someone votes ‘Yes’ but doesn’t sign up for a cruise we can yell at them: “What are you waiting for!?!?”.

Fun for all.

Den 

Den, 

Thanks for the reply!  I love your humor. Glad I out smarted you with a public poll!  I hope someday our paths cross on a cruise ship toasting being back on the high seas!

Cheers!

🍸

On 3/28/2021 at 11:47 AM, NutsAboutGolf said:

It sure would be nice to have only pay 2 percent of my retired fixed income in taxes.  TWO percent!  For a non-US corporation doing business in America and "living off" Americans that is a real good deal.

14 hours ago, Globehoppers said:

Likely the health and safety medical experts will be swayed by the 82 voters...  NOT!

So, sit quietly and never speak up?  NOT happening here....

Cheers!

🍷

I am all for opening.  I work in tourism and this hits HARD.  Thankfully, where I am in Tennessee, we have been open since summer of last year and people have been coming in record numbers.  If people don't want to travel, that is their option.  I'm glad people are at least traveling here.

Looks like maybe it did help!😂

https://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Miami-Dade-mayor-CDC-guidelines-vaccines?fbclid=IwAR19vGT5XbETc1ccWE5ibIzzzyUYydf3v1tUXjj6thMLWJj6XW02nmZMi9M

The CDC will soon issue new guidelines for a cruising restart, Miami-Dade mayor Daniella Levine Cava said Thursday after a call with CDC officials. 

CLIA, which along with ASTA and the U.S. Travel Association have urged the agency to take action, said today that the "Ready, Set, Sail" campaign it launched last week to encourage members and travel advisors to "call, email and/or Tweet" members of Congress had seen 34,540 messages sent by 11,195 people to 431 U.S. representatives and all 100 U.S. senators.