The Daily for Tuesday Apr 13, 2021

richwmn

Good morning all. Thanks to Rich and all who contribute. I so appreciate plants and had planned on a greenhouse this year but since I still want to travel I don’t want to worry about my garden while I’m gone. I would love to have some peach cobbler, especially if someone else baked it and invited me over for coffee and cobbler. 

One thing while talking to my sons about the Vacine, they said if I told them to get it they would. Demands from the high authority called Mom can be pretty convincing. 

• Like 18

Good day and thank you to all who contribute to this thread.  Positive thoughts to those on the care list and whoopee to those on the celebratory list.

Oh, my – you had me at Aperol Spritz!  How I long to be sitting in a lovely Italian piazza sipping on one of those beauties!  (Fingers crossed for November.)  Guess what I’m making for my cocktail this evening 😉.

We visited Fairbanks while on a Celebrity cruisetour in June, 2002.  This was pre-digital, so no pictures to post.

We did play “Midnight Golf” (including a certificate) at the North Star Golf Club - the world's northernmost USGA regulation golf course where the scorecard also includes a place to check off the wildlife you spot during your round.  The permafrost greens were quite the challenge!  

We have also visited (but not played)Tromsø Golf Club in Tromsø, Norway, who claims to be the world’s northernmost 18-hole golf course.)

• Like 16

1 hour ago, Sharon in AZ said:

I love a good Aperol Spritz and even have Aperol on hand, I just don’t have them very often. Another version is to just use white wine in place of the Prosecco. And I don’t bother with the splash of soda water. 

This is how I make them at home 👍.  Unless there happens to be an open bottle of Prosecco hanging around (very unlikely).

• Like 12

DH and I just went through our pictures from our motorhome trips to Alaska.  Evidently, all the pictures of Fairbanks were taken the old fashion way and are in the photo albums.  The other alternative is that somehow I accidently erased them from the computer, but that seems unlikely as there were quite a few from more than one trip.

I did find a few from that area, plus a couple from Fairbanks.

These pictures are of the Dalton Highway (aka Haul Road) that goes to Deadhorse near Prudhoe Bay.  The start of the highway is about 80 miles from the outskirts of Fairbanks.  We drove up the Dalton Highway, but did not go as far as the Yukon River.

IMG_2745.thumb.JPG.d0f9d08aa5bddc6ceeff521c10c4abdf.JPG

A view of the highway and the surrounding area.IMG_2746.thumb.JPG.bf6cbb0ae36fbb2b34ef38b51ae397e6.JPG

This is a roadhouse shortly before you reach the beginning of the Dalton Highway, and the last pitstop before the highway, complete with outhouses.  

IMG_2752.thumb.JPG.a5bd4d9c23e53f4533a67b618577a3e5.JPG

This sign was at the viewpoint along the pipeline.

IMG_2759.thumb.JPG.3435c76bb77dae04b59eade0d7c2a2e6.JPG

A group of car enthusiasts gave us a antique car parade through the campground in Fairbanks.  We could walk around and look at the cars, many of which had not been restored.  We especially liked the Metropolitan since we had a black and white one in New Jersey when DH was stationed at Picatinny Arsenal.

IMG_2775.thumb.JPG.94f9c046e5db48de4f75beeb245699bc.JPG 

We also visited Pioneer Park which is free.  There is a transportation museum in the middle of the park in addition to buildings from the area that have been moved to the park.  

IMG_2776.thumb.JPG.c2060e4402b9b314edc523309230bd40.JPG

Alaska weather is a lot like Texas weather and changes often.  Shortly after we entered the park the dark clouds in the picture above opened up and the rain poured.  Being the smart people we are, we left and came back later that day.  The weather had changed completely by then.

IMG_2812.thumb.JPG.9cb0b9775d6bf74c075796bb0038a03b.JPG

You will find wildflowers, including lupines, along the highways.  They are a different variety than the Texas Bluebonnets.

IMG_3112.thumb.JPG.9982f5908d128688b56fa6023fd796c8.JPG

Lenda

• Like 20

7 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

You will find wildflowers, including lupines, along the highways.  They are a different variety than the Texas Bluebonnets.

IMG_3112.thumb.JPG.9982f5908d128688b56fa6023fd796c8.JPG

Lenda

Those look like they could be a variety of lupins, Lenda.

• Like 7

45 minutes ago, kazu said:

Those look like they could be a variety of lupins, Lenda.

Jacqui, I will bow to your knowledge.  I know the names of some common flowers, but not as many as I should.  

You do learn something everyday on the Daily.  I looked up the Texas bluebonnet in my Wildflowers of Texas book and it is Lupinus texensis .  And I learned there are three other bluebonnets in Texas, the sandyland bluebonnet (Lupinus subcamosus), the dune bluebonnet (Lupinus  plattensis) and the Big Bend bluebonnet ( Lupinus havardii).  I also learned they are part of the legume family.

Digging a little deeper on Google, the one in the picture looks like the Nootka (Lupinus nootkatensis).  There is the Arctic variety (Lupinus arcticus).  Those articles used the word lupine, too.

Thanks for prodding me to dig a little deeper.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 15
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Jacqui, I will bow to your knowledge.  I know the names of some common flowers, but not as many as I should.  

You do learn something everyday on the Daily.  I looked up the Texas bluebonnet in my Wildflowers of Texas book and it is Lupinus texensis .  And I learned there are three other three other bluebonnets in Texas, the sandyland bluebonnet (Lupinus subcamosus), the dune bluebonnet (Lupinus  plattensis) and the Big Bend bluebonnet ( Lupinus havardii).  I also learned they are part of the legume family.

Digging a little deeper on Google, the one in the picture looks like the Nootka (Lupinus nootkatensis).  There is the Arctic variety (Lupinus arcticus).  Those articles used the word lupine, too.

Thanks for prodding me to dig a little deeper.

Lenda

No need to bow 😉. Thanks though.  I didn’t know the Texas bluebonnet until I went to look at a picture - definitely a lupine. 

Lupinus, lupine, lupins (plural here for us - not sure if it’s slang or not 😉 ) it’s one and the same.

There are a bunch of wonderful varieties.  I love them and they grow in the wild as well.

Now you taught me something as I had no idea they were part of the legume family - but when I think of their seed pods, they do look like legumes.  I don’t deadhead mine right away as if they want to spread, it’s fine with me.  I love them and they are a sign of spring here 🙂 

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, kazu said:

No need to bow 😉. Thanks though.  I didn’t know the Texas bluebonnet until I went to look at a picture - definitely a lupine. 

Lupinus, lupine, lupins (plural here for us - not sure if it’s slang or not 😉 ) it’s one and the same.

There are a bunch of wonderful varieties.  I love them and they grow in the wild as well.

Now you taught me something as I had no idea they were part of the legume family - but when I think of their seed pods, they do look like legumes.  I don’t deadhead mine right away as if they want to spread, it’s fine with me.  I love them and they are a sign of spring here 🙂 

Bluebonnets are a really big deal here in Texas as they grow wild here too.  Maybe with the exception of far west Texas, in March through early May, but mainly in April, you will pass fields of bluebonnets along most highways.  There will be cars parked along the roads with people taking pictures of their kids sitting in the bluebonnets.

A neighbor gave me some seeds from her bluebonnets many years ago.  That fall, I tried to plant them in the back part of our lot, but the ground is rock hard, so I just scattered the seeds.  Surprisingly, the next spring, they bloomed, and have been multiplying ever since.  I do not mow that area until they have produced their seed pods.  Many of them have spread down the hill to the road behind us.  

When we have a sunny day, I plan to get some pictures now that they are really blooming.

Lenda

• Like 14

1 minute ago, Cruising-along said:

Me too, I love them and they grow wild along our roads.  Unfortunately the slugs here love them too, so it's always a battle to grow them in my garden. 😞  

I’ve never had a problem with slugs but it might be because of the slug bait around the bottom of my hostas that deters them.  I don’t use any around my lupins.  Might be worth a try although I suspect you have already 😉 

• Like 4

WP_20170313_001.thumb.jpg.a63a14bcfcd8c0591fcf94b8153cb0a2.jpgPicture is from the Ice Carving Festival - Fairbanks, March 2017.

2nd Photo is a winter Sled Dog Run 30 Miles N of Fairbanks- ride followed by wine and goodies in a Yurt early into the AM to see the Aurora.  We returned to Fairbanks in July on Volendam, Vancouver- Skagway land tour to - Whitehorse/ Dawson City/ Fairbanks/Denali/Anchorage.  Both great trips - Very different in March and July.

WP_20170314_003.jpg

Edited by jl88
  • Like 21

28 minutes ago, kazu said:

I’ve never had a problem with slugs but it might be because of the slug bait around the bottom of my hostas that deters them.  I don’t use any around my lupins.  Might be worth a try although I suspect you have already 😉 

Oh yes I’ve tried everything. We live in a very wet area, slug heaven. 😞 The bait slows them down a little but it’s a constant battle. 

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, jl88 said:

WP_20170313_001.thumb.jpg.a63a14bcfcd8c0591fcf94b8153cb0a2.jpgPicture is from the Ice Carving Festival - Fairbanks, March 2017.

2nd Photo is a winter Sled Dog Run 30 Miles N of Fairbanks- ride followed by wine and goodies in a Yurt early into the AM to see the Aurora.  We we returned Volendam Vancouver- Skagway land tour to - Dawson City/ Fairbanks/Denali/Anchorage.  Both great trips - Very different in March.

WP_20170314_003.jpg

Welcome to the Daily! Wonderful pics!

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, jl88 said:

2nd Photo is a winter Sled Dog Run 30 Miles N of Fairbanks- ride followed by wine and goodies in a Yurt early into the AM to see the Aurora.  We returned to Fairbanks in July on Volendam, Vancouver- Skagway land tour to - Whitehorse/ Dawson City/ Fairbanks/Denali/Anchorage.  Both great trips - Very different in March and July.

WP_20170314_003.jpg

Well, welcome not just to the Daily but to the HAL Forum as well.

Roy

• Like 8

Day 2 of Hong Kong (one overnight) was also our departure day, but not until evening. From the bridge of Amsterdam at her Ocean terminal berth, you got a great look at both the 'Former Kowloon-Canton Railway Clock Tower' and Star Ferry's Tsim Sha Tsui terminal, located like us on the Kowloon Peninsula, and the constant coming and going of the white over green colored ferries. I had been looking at them and decided to take a ride on this combo ferry system/tourist attraction this morning which would take me from Kowloon across Victoria Harbour (correct spelling 😉 ) to "Central" (HK's central business district on Hong Kong island)  for HK $2.60 (lower deck). The Star Ferry Company was founded in 1888 as the Kowloon Ferry Company and adopted its present name in 1898. With a fleet of twelve diesel-electric ferries, the company operates two routes across the harbor, carrying over 70,000 passengers per day, or 26 million per year. Even though Victoria Harbour is crossed by railway and road tunnels, the Star Ferry continues to provide an inexpensive mode of harbor crossing. 

The present twin-piered terminals on both sides of Victoria Harbour (Tsim Sha Tsui and Central), were designed to handle 55 million passenger trips a year. Both structures were completed in 1957, concurrent with the Edinburgh Ferry Pier built on the island side. So, off I went, while routine maintenance continued on Amsterdam by the hard-working "deckies," through the shopping mall, exit stage right down the stairs where you had a nice exterior view of Amsterdam at her berth, and across the street to the Tsim Sha Tsui ferry terminal where there are vending machines for the colored ferry tokens or Jetons. All the names of Star Ferry ferries (that's complicated) end in, you guessed it, the word "Star,"  mine was the 1965-built 'Morning Star' for the 10-15 min ride across the harbor. 

Once on the other side, I got a good look at the Fourth Generation (2006) Central (Star Ferry) building, also known as "Central Ferry Piers 7 and 8" at Man Kwong Street, with its nice façade, the Hong Kong Maritime Museum housed inside, the 197-foot tall Hong Kong Observation (Ferris) Wheel (HKOW), and an apparently very common lunch hour traffic jam in which even a Hong Kong Police Force (HKPF), formerly known as the Royal Hong Kong Police (RHKP), Mercedes-Benz van had trouble getting through, before taking the ride back to Tsim Sha Tsui on Kowloon.      

001.JPG

002.JPG

005.JPG

045.JPG

046.JPG

010.JPG

011.JPG

012.JPG

1200px-Star_Ferry_Token.jpg

6062c062b5b1a7.75219614-original.jpg

016.JPG

017.JPG

018A.jpg

019.JPG

020.JPG

024.JPG

022.JPG

025.JPG

026.JPG

027.JPG

028.JPG

029.JPG

030.JPG

031.JPG

032.JPG

033.JPG

star-ferry.jpg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Oh yes I’ve tried everything. We live in a very wet area, slug heaven. 😞 The bait slows them down a little but it’s a constant battle. 

😢 

• Like 3

Good afternoon, and thanks for the Daily!

Just got back from getting the second jab, now we are both fully stuck! As soon as DD and her hubs have gotten theirs we might get a hug from the grandkids. About time!

@St. Louis Sal Best wishes for the best outcome!

We flew into Fairbanks in 2016 for a cruise tour. We spent a couple of nights at the Westmark, where they had a flower wagon set up on the corner of 8th and Noble.

A.thumb.JPG.c1be750d4e0287761bdfe0d38a4a9429.JPG

As our luck runs, we put in for a courtesy call if the Aurora were to be active. Next morning, some were talking about how beautiful it had been that night, turns out we didn't get the call because the phone system had malfunctioned to some rooms. Oh well. That's still on the bucket list.

We walked around downtown, visiting Golden Heart Plaza along the Chena River and the Unknown First Family memorial.

B.thumb.JPG.2be40525210540517e3b94c8368da672.JPG

We also did the Riverboat Discovery, and Chena Village on our way to McKinley Chalet and Denali.

One thing's for sure about Alaska....you never know when you'll run across a wild, untamed animal. And if you're lucky, you might even see a moose!

C.thumb.JPG.8cd6a941ebd636936109fb2f18b731c3.JPG

As always, thanks for all of the information, humor and compassion.

Stay safe and healthy, and have a great evening!

Lori & George

• Like 22

Good afternoon!  Great weather again today .  Booked our tickets for a tulip festival on Thursday.  No rain forecasted for DH is humoring me with a walk thru the tulips!!

We flew into Fairbanks several years ago on June 21.  Needless to say we never saw darkness for the time we were there.  

Thanks for all the pictures and posts.  Praying for the care list.  Big hugs to the happy list.  

Enjoy the rest of your day, everyone.

🌷 🌞

• Like 15