If vaccinations are required, how are the cruise lines going to check for compliance?

ontheweb

4 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

I find it ironic that some people are adamant that vaccination records are private and shouldn't be seen by anyone......and there are people who share photos of their children, post what dates they will be away from home, where they are right now, what Amazon delivery they're expecting on Monday, etc. on facebook and other sites.

A very interesting comment, shipgeeks.  And, I think quite relevant to this discussion.  

"Privacy" of one's information?  What does that mean?  Obviously, the definition is different from one to another.  

The post that I made concerning my physical issues that I suffer when I wear a mask caused a thought last night about:  "gee, rkacruiser, was that a wise thing to do?"  

I did it with the intent of being informative to others who are not--yet--in my physical situation.  (And, may they never be!)

How much "privacy" does any one of us have anymore?  

An update from the OP. I e-mailed my assemblywoman's office, and they are going to text the health department to ask what is the problem, why did they not call Sunday as promised when they could validate her information.

Excuse the “MyChart” commercial. But, it’s as close as the US is to having a national medical record system. There are more than 100 million MyChart patient accounts already and two of its best features are easy syncing between MyChart records of multiple health care providers as well as “Share My Record” which allow a patient to grant one time access to other providers. 

13 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

An update from the OP. I e-mailed my assemblywoman's office, and they are going to text the health department to ask what is the problem, why did they not call Sunday as promised when they could validate her information.

I hope that you receive a more responsive response from your State's assembly person that the two who "represent" me in the Ohio State Senate and Ohio House of Representatives.  

3 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I hope that you receive a more responsive response from your State's assembly person that the two who "represent" me in the Ohio State Senate and Ohio House of Representatives.  

I believe I will. I do know her for a long time as my son and her daughter were in the same graduating class. We met at a parent teacher conference day way back when they were in I believe second grade. (They are both in their 40s now.)

In fact, I was surprised to get an e-mail response tonight as it is Sunday night and her local office is not open.

Edited by ontheweb
added second paragraph

Just now, ontheweb said:

I believe I will. I do know her for a long time as my son and her daughter were in the same graduating class. We met at a parent teacher conference day way back when they were in I believe second grade. (They are both in their 40s now.)

Having a personal connection with one of our representatives in Congress or in our State Houses is beneficial.  I have experienced that as well.  But, is this what a "representative democracy" ought to be?  

2 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Having a personal connection with one of our representatives in Congress or in our State Houses is beneficial.  I have experienced that as well.  But, is this what a "representative democracy" ought to be?  

It ought to be about constituent service. And when a department of the state does not do what they promise, that is an area your representative should help.

Should you have to have a personal connection? Of course not, but actually I was saying it more as I know her (and knew her late husband who had been the district's Assemblyman before her), and that she is good at serving her constituency.

Years and years ago, my parents were helped by our Congressperson who they did not know. My mother had trouble getting a passport as she emigrated with her parents as a small child from the Ukraine, and did not have all the necessary documentation. She did serve in WWII as a WAVE (where she met my father who was in the Navy), and I'm quite sure this is what helped our Congressperson intervene in her behalf. They did not know her.

Our former State Senator, who we did not know once helped her out with an issue with the education department. Again we did not know him; I contacted him at a local constituent day he had. He listened, and thought I made sense. He had her write a letter to the department. (And it probably did not hurt her cause that he was chairman of the Education Committee in the State Senate.)

• Like 1

This topic has been discussed for many months now. It seems our current administration really dropped the ball by not getting a vaccine registration system in place. My vaccine record from Walgreens is just a little sheet of paper that could so easily be falsified. 

3 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

This topic has been discussed for many months now. It seems our current administration really dropped the ball by not getting a vaccine registration system in place. My vaccine record from Walgreens is just a little sheet of paper that could so easily be falsified. 

Not sure they dropped the ball but probably realised it was impossible. From what I read a few states were opposed (vehmently so, I read some states threatened to sue😳) to the idea to have some sort of national vaccine registery. Without their cooporation it sounds like it is a non starter.

OP back. The health department although they told DW that the would call on Sunday never called. She did find out she was no longer quarantined from an e-mail from her school this morning. I do understand why the health department informed them as they were the ones who let them know of her possible contact. But, they should have also called or e-mailed her.

And, note, if she was not fully vaccinated, she would now be quarantined and worrying about would she catch the virus.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ilikeanswers said:

Not sure they dropped the ball but probably realised it was impossible. From what I read a few states were opposed (vehmently so, I read some states threatened to sue😳) to the idea to have some sort of national vaccine registery. Without their cooporation it sounds like it is a non starter.

Here is a very simple solution to the non-cooperation problem.  Tell the states that they don't have to cooperate.  Then make national rules that certain activities such as getting on any interstate mode of travel (bus, train, airplane, ship) will not be allowed unless you are in the national registry.  Also make it impossible to get into any national facility (courthouses, national parks, museums) unless you are in the national registry.  Then when the people from Texas and Florida find that their life is impacted because their state decided not to cooperate with the national registry, they might push their states to cooperate.  If you can't get cooperation by being nice, then the alternative is to get their attention with a sledge hammer.

DON

With Florida, I wouldn't worry so much about the CDC as I would worry about the state Executive Order in place that prohibits any business from requiring proof of vaccination.  

If I could, I, for one, would not give any of my generated herd immunity to anyone who refuses to get vaccinated. Legit medical reasons I'll give - that's the purpose of herd immunity.  But, with so many people for political or personal reasons are refusing, I doubt we'll ever get there.  That's going to put a big chink in anyone wanting cruise or otherwise get back to "life as normal."  IMHO, of course. 

Those who refuse to get a vaccination are going to have a very small choice of "vacation" for awhile: I heard visiting the cows in Amish areas in South Central Pennsylvania is nice - wet bottom shoo fly pie with a scoop of ice cream from the local bovines is yummy.  And,the buffets are open.   Or, drive to perhaps West Virginia and go rafting on the New River.  

8 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

You may not realize it but, if you already didn’t, you now have a medical record at Walgreens and, depending on your regular health care provider’s record system (hopefully MyChart or some other Epic system) that info should be syncable.

Count me in the camp of folks who believe that, should a vaccine passport or passport visa become required, only the bona fide medical record (and not the paper card) will be required for proof that you were vaccinated.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Excuse the “MyChart” commercial. But, it’s as close as the US is to having a national medical record system. There are more than 100 million MyChart patient accounts already and two of its best features are easy syncing between MyChart records of multiple health care providers as well as “Share My Record” which allow a patient to grant one time access to other providers. 

I’m a huge fan of mychart and all of my health care providers seem to be on it which helps centralize records. But, that didn’t help a whole lot with the Covid vaccine. When I was eligible for the vaccine it was open to people over 60 and certain occupations. I qualified due to occupation. But I don’t think mychart put that together so it wouldn’t allow me to schedule a vaccine through trihealth. So I ended up going to a city health department vaccination site and they definately don’t sync up with that. I told my doctor I got it so it could be added to my record. But that certainly shouldn’t be counted as ‘proof’ since it was self reported.

11 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

It seems our current administration really dropped the ball by not getting a vaccine registration system in place

Let's be accurate.  The vaccine distribution did not start with the "current Administration".  

I fault neither the Administrations of the 45th or the 46th Presidents of the United States for considering the probable necessity of a national vaccine registration system in place when the vaccines become available.  

Which was more important?  The paperwork needed to show that one had received the vaccine?  Or, the "needle in the arm"?  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

You may not realize it but, if you already didn’t, you now have a medical record at Walgreens and, depending on your regular health care provider’s record system (hopefully MyChart or some other Epic system) that info should be syncable.

Count me in the camp of folks who believe that, should a vaccine passport or passport visa become required, only the bona fide medical record (and not the paper card) will be required for proof that you were vaccinated.

We're in MyChart and have been for years. If nothing more comes out I'm guessing all I need to do is print it. ???

9 hours ago, Sky616 said:

Nobody should have to be vaccinated to go on a cruise.

Don’t hold your breath. Once cruises are allowed to restart, do you honestly think the cruise industry would do anything that risks infection - particularly something like caving to antivaxers?

Way too much at stake for cruise lines (which  won’t mind the bottom line rounding figure difference due to antivaxers staying home.