The two faces of the CDC: Wednesday vs. Thursday

What changed in 24 hours? 
You can bet some of it had to do with one thing - Politics.

If you think all guidance, coming from all parties and programs, is based 100% ONLY on science/medical info.......... could I also interest you in purchasing a unicorn horn?

• Like 5

On 5/15/2021 at 5:47 PM, livingonthebeach said:

No cruise ship has 10,000 passengers and crew capacity and there will be limited capacity at the restart.  A cruise ship is much larger than a Walmart.  Not sure how many Walmart’s could fit in that space but I imagine a lot.  What’s your point? 

Think larger ships Public Sq Ft per person runs at 45-50+ ea, but with Ships starting at about 50% capacity, lot extra Sq Ft then my crowded Walmart. It won't be too long. Less then week ago many thought Masks would be worn for years, lot changed even Michigan and NY changing/changed Outdoor and Indoor wearing requirement...

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ArthurUSCG said:

Outside, there isn't any issues, but with a bunch of adults with questionable vaccine status inside, I'm not going to risk it. Besides, my kids like wearing their masks, the oldest gets to pretend to be Captain America, and the youngest thinks he has the coolest mask, a Blue Crab with sunglasses.

It's none of my business whether you are vaccinated or not, but if you are, why are you worried about people lying about their vaccination status. I am vaccinated and don't care even a little bit if the person standing next to me is vaccinated or not. The risk is on them. If you have been vaccinated and are still worried about the person standing next to you, what was the point of getting the shot?

• Like 7

1 minute ago, MiniChunks said:

It's none of my business whether you are vaccinated or not, but if you are, why are you worried about people lying about their vaccination status. I am vaccinated and don't care even a little bit if the person standing next to me is vaccinated or not. The risk is on them. If you have been vaccinated and are still worried about the person standing next to you, what was the point of getting the shot?

Because my kids are under the age of 12 and can not be vaccinated yet.

Adults have proven they can't be trusted by how often they send sick kids to school,  my wife is a teacher and the number of kids that show up sick for 1st period or are given Tylenol and told to try to make it thru the day is ridiculous.

This isn't even getting into parents that tested positive for COVID, sending their kids to school.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, MiniChunks said:

exactly what I believe also

45 minutes ago, ArthurUSCG said:

Adults have proven they can't be trusted by how often they send sick kids to school,  my wife is a teacher and the number of kids that show up sick for 1st period or are given Tylenol and told to try to make it thru the day is ridiculous.

This isn't even getting into parents that tested positive for COVID, sending their kids to school.

I guess that is where our comfort levels differ. I've got a 12yr old and twin 9yr olds, and based on the way kids handle COVID, I'm not worried. We just traveled to Costa Rica for spring break with them, and continue to live our lives. At this point, I have no plan to get my older daughter vaccinated. IMO, there's really no reason to subject a young person, who has little to no risk of complications, to a vaccine that has no long term studies done on it. If the vaccine were to become mandatory for school, or school related activities, I would be willing to reconsider, but I will wait it out as long as reasonably possible. 

Edited by MiniChunks
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, ArthurUSCG said:

Sometimes we have to do whats best for our children.  In this case if it was me, we just would not cruise, or at least not with them.

But each adult person has to access the risk not only for themselves but also on their family.

Edited by cruisegus

1 hour ago, MiniChunks said:

One concern that is held by some is that if enough unvaccinated people are on a cruise, and an outbreak occurs, how might it affect the cruise?  Will people be required to remain in their cabins?  Will the cruise have to skip ports?  Will some onboard activities be cancelled?  Will food service be altered?  Will the ship be forced to return early (or late) to its home port?

2 hours ago, MiniChunks said:

I guess that is where our comfort levels differ. I've got a 12yr old and twin 9yr olds, and based on the way kids handle COVID, I'm not worried. We just traveled to Costa Rica for spring break with them, and continue to live our lives. At this point, I have no plan to get my older daughter vaccinated. IMO, there's really no reason to subject a young person, who has little to no risk of complications, to a vaccine that has no long term studies done on it. If the vaccine were to become mandatory for school, or school related activities, I would be willing to reconsider, but I will wait it out as long as reasonably possible. 

You know I felt the same way until 2 weeks ago  I learned a friends 13 yo who was healthy and active is now diabetic because of covid and while he was hospitalized there were 7 other kids in the same situation and when she called the school to discuss discovered another child at the school (aprox 400 kids) is also now diabetic. The whole families world was changed. I have no idea about statistics of this happening. But as someone who thought kids were safe I was a bit shook.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Jenjer said:

You know I felt the same way until 2 weeks ago  I learned a friends 13 yo who was healthy and active is now diabetic because of covid and while he was hospitalized there were 7 other kids in the same situation and when she called the school to discuss discovered another child at the school (aprox 400 kids) is also now diabetic. The whole families world was changed. I have no idea about statistics of this happening. But as someone who thought kids were safe I was a bit shook.  

That is not something I'd ever heard of, and I appreciate you posting that. I went and did a little research on my own, and while not very prevalent, it is certainly something to be considered. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, time4u2go said:

One concern that is held by some is that if enough unvaccinated people are on a cruise, and an outbreak occurs, how might it affect the cruise?  Will people be required to remain in their cabins?  Will the cruise have to skip ports?  Will some onboard activities be cancelled?  Will food service be altered?  Will the ship be forced to return early (or late) to its home port?

With regard to cruising, I agree with you 100%. My response to Arthur had to do with the conversation they were having about Disney and theme parks. 

16 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

There are other issues besides death. The 14 year old neighbor kid had it back in February and still gets winded walking to the car and his dad said he doesn't have the strength or aim for bow hunting.

2 minutes ago, ArthurUSCG said:

There are other issues besides death. The 14 year old neighbor kid had it back in February and still gets winded walking to the car and his dad said he doesn't have the strength or aim for bow hunting.

The same kind of example could be found for nearly any disease.  The exception to the rule.

44 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

The same kind of example could be found for nearly any disease.  The exception to the rule.

The rate of long term side effects, like the lung damage to the neighbor, in kids is unknown. And since a simple piece of fabric can keep my kids safe, it's an easy choice to make.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ArthurUSCG said:

The rate of long term side effects, like the lung damage to the neighbor, in kids is unknown. And since a simple piece of fabric can keep my kids safe, it's an easy choice to make.

Despite no evidence anywhere in the world that masks helped

• Like 2