Need a betting pool on how soon after cruising resumes before the first offended review at how it's all gone downhill

KmomChicago

1 hour ago, broberts said:

Can boats be ship shape? 😀

Absolutely.. as can just about anything you might want to apply the phrase to, i.e; houses, cars people... you name it. 'Ship shape' has evolved into a very loose term used to describe just about anything that is 'squared away' 😉 🙂

On 5/23/2021 at 10:34 AM, Jasonsterling said:

LOL- Three hours after the ship has left port on the very first voyage, posted to YT via the ship's internet system by a new and/or hobbyist "Vlogger" decrying all the "cutbacks" implemented to make back the money from being closed for a year and a half. Probably brought on be a failure to have gelato available in the buffet during initial boarding. Ha ha! 

Dealer, put my money to match Jason’s bet.

• Haha 1

On 5/28/2021 at 4:23 PM, KmomChicago said:

Unfortunately so true. I was horrified to find out the ship staff don't really fall in love with all the passengers. But as I was young and assumed the grownups what named the show knew their English, I thought the vessel was accurately named a boat.  

If you think that's bad, you should have seen what happened when I became a summer camp counselor up in the North Woods of Wisconsin one summer in college because I thought it would be exactly like the movie Meatballs.

I'm just glad that I didn't take McHale's Navy too seriously when I joined the Navy or I'dve been seriously disappointed.🤣

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

I'm just glad that I didn't take McHale's Navy too seriously when I joined the Navy or I'dve been seriously disappointed.🤣

Wasn't the recently departed Gavin McCloud on McHale's Navy in a minor role?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moviela said:

I want to know why if you send a package on a ship it is called cargo, but if you send the same package by car it is a shipment?

It's the same reason that you park in a driveway and drive on a parkway.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 5/29/2021 at 10:55 AM, broberts said:

Working hard is no guarantee of achievement. Hence the priveledge of being in a situation that permits saving.

Nothing in life is guaranteed, but if you work hard you have a better chance to succeed than if you don't. Just because a person is able to save doesn't make them privileged. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, d12j28 said:

Nothing in life is guaranteed, but if you work hard you have a better chance to succeed than if you don't. Just because a person is able to save doesn't make them privileged. 

I respect your opinion, but we simply differ on this point as I think it does. There are many places where people work hard their whole lives but due to poor economics and/or corrupt governments, it is impossible to accumulate wealth. The fact that these people can't change their governments doesn't make them personally responsible for the poor economy.  I am privileged, in my opinion, to be born and be a citizen of the USA where, in exchange for my work, I can have really, really, REALLY great stuff and experiences.  

I understand that my parents were here and provided for me. But I, personally, didn't work hard to be born here. I am lucky to have been born into the land of opportunity.  Likewise, someone born in, say, Madagascar or Burundi didn't do anything to be born there either, and yet, there they are more or less stuck there, and even if they are willing to work hard, it may be impossible for them to achieve what I might consider even the most basic decent standard of living, much less ever leave or take a cruise ship vacation - yes, even a 3-night cruise to Nassau on a Fantasy class ship.  The fact that their parents are responsible for creating them in that place, doesn't make them any less deserving, at birth, than I was, for the chance at a great life. 

Simply the fact that cruise line crew are very willing and grateful to leave their families for long contracts to provide me with the vacation, illustrates the difference between the haves and the have nots. I don't feel guilty for being who or what or where I am, but I do feel fortunate and know I won the cosmic roll of the dice, life wise.

1 hour ago, KmomChicago said:

I respect your opinion, but we simply differ on this point as I think it does. There are many places where people work hard their whole lives but due to poor economics and/or corrupt governments, it is impossible to accumulate wealth. The fact that these people can't change their governments doesn't make them personally responsible for the poor economy.  I am privileged, in my opinion, to be born and be a citizen of the USA where, in exchange for my work, I can have really, really, REALLY great stuff and experiences.  

I understand that my parents were here and provided for me. But I, personally, didn't work hard to be born here. I am lucky to have been born into the land of opportunity.  Likewise, someone born in, say, Madagascar or Burundi didn't do anything to be born there either, and yet, there they are more or less stuck there, and even if they are willing to work hard, it may be impossible for them to achieve what I might consider even the most basic decent standard of living, much less ever leave or take a cruise ship vacation - yes, even a 3-night cruise to Nassau on a Fantasy class ship.  The fact that their parents are responsible for creating them in that place, doesn't make them any less deserving, at birth, than I was, for the chance at a great life. 

Simply the fact that cruise line crew are very willing and grateful to leave their families for long contracts to provide me with the vacation, illustrates the difference between the haves and the have nots. I don't feel guilty for being who or what or where I am, but I do feel fortunate and know I won the cosmic roll of the dice, life wise.

Cecil Rhodes of Britain coined a phrase essentially that citizens of that nation won the Lottery in the 19th Century. I have to say that in the late 18th Century with the HMS Bounty out of Britain and visiting Tahiti, it was not bad to be a citizen of Tahiti. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

And he worked his way up from being a lowly Seaman to being the Captain.🙂

It seems he had an affinity for the sea. He also played Seaman Hunkle in the Cary Grant, Tony Curtis version of Operation Petticoat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KmomChicago said:

I can respect your opinion also and wasn't trying to argue at all. I am always curious when someone says they are privileged as to why they think that. 

I would agree that it is a privilege to live in this country (compared to the rest of the world) and far too many people forget that. I won't get into smaller things like vacation, food, etc as that would just end up being political in the end. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well it seems I will be among the earliest cruisers with the announcement Mardi Gras will hit the waves July 31 making our sailing only the second for this shiny new vessel. 

We have a 15 year old who’s had the first Pfizer shot and will get the second next week. Everyone else in our two-stateroom party is long since fully vaxxed. Dad and stepmom will be in a fully accessible balcony cabin up on deck 15 and we’ll be down somewhere in Steerage. 😂 Deck 5 Premium Inside right below the new atrium concept thingy.

I will be absolutely doing a review afterwards and I don’t think I’ll have to make many apologies for the ship, somewhat unlike my loving but well aware review of the Sensation (bless her heart) a few years back.

Really for me the only bad cruise is one I’m not on, so while I anticipate a somewhat choppy experience as they work out bugs, I am gonna love it regardless and actually enjoy those deets that are still being ironed out while savoring the new ship smell. 

This cruise will coincide with a milestone birthday for me so I also intend to break my “no extra $$ food” rule and try out at least 3 specialty restaurants. Currently leaning toward Emeril’s, Cucina and Jiji but I anticipate hubby demanding Steakhouse and perhaps Rudi’s seafood as well as Bonsai Sushi. We’ll see! Stay tuned!! My review will be a happy one unless the daggone thing pulls a Titanic and the journey gets a lot wetter than expected.

• Like 2