Anyone know how they will handle this?

I had a dream that upon waking inspired this question, which doesn’t effect me, but I am curious.  Covid in the US is still out there, and is an issue for the unvaccinated, in which children represent a large portion.  

So if one supposes a family of 4 pass all protocols to embark on a 7 night cruise,  Parents are vaccinated and 2 young kids are not, but they pass the boarding test.  Further suppose one of the children appears to develop a minor cold on day 4.  Will they Covid test that child then and there?  Suppose the child tests positive, I assume they will quarantine the 4 until the next port and then disembark them, at their cost?  Assuming the kids were mixing with other kids in the children’s programs, will those children and parents also be quarantined, and put off?

Am I wrong in thinking unvaccinated children are a subset of passengers with more precaution than those sailing on the Dawn Princess, but still potential victims of a wildfire Covid spread on board if any one child picks up Covid on their journey toward the ship?

Lastly, does that mean that in a few months I will be reading on these boards a disgruntled potentially former passenger who was in their mind unjustly quarantined or put off, but will continue to cruise in the future if rightfully compensated with a lifetime cabin on the Odyssey of the Seas? Or something fair along those lines.

Eddie, not traveling with kids but curious about outbreaks. 

10 minutes ago, Eddie Wilson said:

I had a dream that upon waking inspired this question, which doesn’t effect me, but I am curious.  Covid in the US is still out there, and is an issue for the unvaccinated, in which children represent a large portion.  

So if one supposes a family of 4 pass all protocols to embark on a 7 night cruise,  Parents are vaccinated and 2 young kids are not, but they pass the boarding test.  Further suppose one of the children appears to develop a minor cold on day 4.  Will they Covid test that child then and there?  Suppose the child tests positive, I assume they will quarantine the 4 until the next port and then disembark them, at their cost?  Assuming the kids were mixing with other kids in the children’s programs, will those children and parents also be quarantined, and put off?

Am I wrong in thinking unvaccinated children are a subset of passengers with more precaution than those sailing on the Dawn Princess, but still potential victims of a wildfire Covid spread on board if any one child picks up Covid on their journey toward the ship?

Lastly, does that mean that in a few months I will be reading on these boards a disgruntled potentially former passenger who was in their mind unjustly quarantined or put off, but will continue to cruise in the future if rightfully compensated with a lifetime cabin on the Odyssey of the Seas? Or something fair along those lines.

Eddie, not traveling with kids but curious about outbreaks. 

I think your scenario is completely possible. Which is why I would live to see cruises have a policy of 100% vaccination NO exceptions. But RCL seems unwilling because they are a family cruise line. 

But I believe if your scenario plays out on a NON 100% vaccinated ship, that company may never fully recover  to pre pandemic levels or revenue. MHO

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, newcruzer2 said:

I think your scenario is completely possible. Which is why I would live to see cruises have a policy of 100% vaccination NO exceptions. But RCL seems unwilling because they are a family cruise line. 

But I believe if your scenario plays out on a NON 100% vaccinated ship, that company may never fully recover  to pre pandemic levels or revenue. MHO

I agree new2.  I am a little worried a ship with a ton of kids, it only takes one to start it.  I think Dawn Princess started with one, but not 100% sure on that.

• Like 1

If our kids were still young I would not even consider taking them on a cruise this year. I'm not concerned about them getting seriously ill should they contract Covid ( NO, I don't want my kids to get sick) . I would be worried that either one of mine or one in "Kid Camp" would have a mild case this requiring full family quarantine. 

• Like 2

Go back to sleep. It was a bad dream. 

The real issue is most kids won’t know they are sick with it. Thats on a ship, in a supermarket or in an airplane. If you are afraid of COVID my advise is stay off a ship. There are people who get COVID after vaccination. 

I hope people enjoy cruising with this level of fear! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Eddie Wilson said:

I agree new2.  I am a little worried a ship with a ton of kids, it only takes one to start it.  I think Dawn Princess started with one, but not 100% sure on that.

Case like Dawn won't happen again. We didnt know enough about Covid then, didnt have Vaccines and Testing. Longer wait to start back up more likely Disease will be burned out and we reach Herd Immunity from Vaccinated and the Millions with Natural Immunity. Close now in US where cases are down 95%

2 minutes ago, Stick93 said:

The real issue is most kids won’t know they are sick with it. Thats on a ship, in a supermarket or in an airplane. If you are afraid of COVID my advise is stay off a ship. There are people who get COVID after vaccination. 

Have feeling Kids Programs wont run at start like before with large groups/small rooms. Then younger Kids not as likely catch Covid and even less likely to give it to another. Royal ships I go on(Brilliance/Serenade) usually have 20-30 kids on onboard for my longer 10+ niters and never been close to a Full Ship. Many SOLO like me. Though Vaccinated but High Risk never take my Mother on Cruise Covid or not. Me, Vaccinated, low Risk and Retired, I'd Cruise tomorrow... 

52 minutes ago, Eddie Wilson said:

Suppose the child tests positive, I assume they will quarantine the 4 until the next port and then disembark them, at their cost?

Quarantine, yes, disembark them at the next port, very unlikely, unless medically necessary - they will let them stay on till the end port.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Technically CDC guidance is not to test or quarantine a vaccinated person who was exposed to someone who tested positive. Now consider the kids probably need to be quarantined, that does leave a quandary... who takes care of the kids in quarantine without requiring a parent to suffer the same quarantine?

Maybe there'll be a Quarantine Island part of Adventure Ocean. 🙂

6 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Case like Dawn won't happen again. We didnt know enough about Covid then, didnt have Vaccines and Testing. Longer wait to start back up more likely Disease will be burned out and we reach Herd Immunity from Vaccinated and the Millions with Natural Immunity. Close now in US where cases are down 95%

I certainly hope and pray you are correct.  Then again there is the old saying..... never say never.......

Lke you, I tend to sail on ships with very few kids.  My son was on Allure and he said it was full of kids and teens. If it has not already started I think the vaccine is approved to ages 12 and up, but I have also heard in my own extended family they are not getting their teens vaccinated. 

So if you have a large group of unvaccinated people, sharing toys, singing songs ( which I seem to remember is a Covid no-no) swapping spit in the teen disco, close together, it may be a lesser quality remake of Dawn.  In addition these variants are more easily transmitted than the virus which hit Dawn, so could spread quite fast.

Not sleepless in Cincy, just hoping for the best,

Eddie

9 minutes ago, Eddie Wilson said:

Lke you, I tend to sail on ships with very few kids.  My son was on Allure and he said it was full of kids and teens.

Hum. Is this really a thread about Covid or one’s appreciation for kids onboard?

7 hours ago, Stick93 said:

0.009% is an extremely low risk of breakthrough infection for fully vaccinated people. I'm fully vaccinated with the Moderna vaccine and feel extremely safe with those stats.

2 hours ago, Eddie Wilson said:

So if you have a large group of unvaccinated people, sharing toys, singing songs ( which I seem to remember is a Covid no-no) swapping spit in the teen disco, close together, it may be a lesser quality remake of Dawn.

I believe the not-so-official guidance reads:

If you are old enough to swap some spit

You are old enough to take the hit

Get vaccinated

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

Kids are much less likely to get covid and much less likely to spread it if they do get it.

if you're so scared of kids on  a cruise ship (kids you'd likely never have contact with while on the ship) then stay home.

Smokey just wants the ship to himself, he is has been telling everyone to stay home for months................

I have mentioned the swappin spit thing since March 2019.  I never supposed kissing and other things would stop...everything that was recommended side swiped this problem, what good is distancing or masks if the young people are still doin the nasty?  Even the old people doing the nasty.  Silly.....

10 hours ago, Eddie Wilson said:

Yep, and it’s just about impossible to force kids to social distance in a vacation setting!  

5 hours ago, Eddie Wilson said:

I certainly hope and pray you are correct.  Then again there is the old saying..... never say never.......

Lke you, I tend to sail on ships with very few kids.  My son was on Allure and he said it was full of kids and teens. If it has not already started I think the vaccine is approved to ages 12 and up, but I have also heard in my own extended family they are not getting their teens vaccinated. 

So if you have a large group of unvaccinated people, sharing toys, singing songs ( which I seem to remember is a Covid no-no) swapping spit in the teen disco, close together, it may be a lesser quality remake of Dawn.  In addition these variants are more easily transmitted than the virus which hit Dawn, so could spread quite fast.

Not sleepless in Cincy, just hoping for the best,

Eddie

Understand. My 9 younger Siblings, we're all Vaccinated. My 3 Kids in 20's, all Vaccinated. Supposed take one my Grand Daughters on Cruise this Summer, we put off until 2022

3 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Smokey just wants the ship to himself, he is has been telling everyone to stay home for months................

I just want those scared of getting covid from kids they aren't going to have any contact with anyway to stay home.

Then again these same people are still probably scared to go out in public anywhere for the same reasons.  Might be kids somewhere!

Edited by smokeybandit
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Eddie Wilson said:

So if one supposes a family of 4 pass all protocols to embark on a 7 night cruise,  Parents are vaccinated and 2 young kids are not, but they pass the boarding test.  Further suppose one of the children appears to develop a minor cold on day 4.  

Will they Covid test that child then and there?  No.  It will be available but I doubt anyone will actually do it.

And that's where this scenario ends.

OMG!  Terrible Parents!  Calm down Karen...

Kids get the sniffles all the time.  Multiple times.  This won't be remotely unusual before, during and after covid.  Influenza carries essentially the same risk and no one freaks out over that.  I will be no more concerned about snotty kids then I am now.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, boatseller said:

Will they Covid test that child then and there?  No.  It will be available but I doubt anyone will actually do it.

And that's where this scenario ends.

OMG!  Terrible Parents!  Calm down Karen...

Kids get the sniffles all the time.  Multiple times.  This won't be remotely unusual before, during and after covid.  Influenza carries essentially the same risk and no one freaks out over that.  I will be no more concerned about snotty kids then I am now.  

Especially now that cold viruses are making a rebound after being shut out by covid for the last 16 months

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, M8VER3 said:

Hum. Is this really a thread about Covid or one’s appreciation for kids onboard?

I don’t get your point?  It started from a dream about kids getting sick on a ship.  I was curious what would happen. 

Please don’t read a slant in me, as I have taken my 4 children on a few cruises, but they are now older do their own thing. So DW and I now travel at different times of the year, is including when schools are in session and there are fewer kids on board.

I don’t get your inference?

Eddie

6 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Kids are much less likely to get covid and much less likely to spread it if they do get it.

if you're so scared of kids on  a cruise ship (kids you'd likely never have contact with while on the ship) then stay home.

Never said or hinted I was scared of kids.  More scared of the repercussions to the industry if outbreaks occur within the unvaccinated groups.