The Daily for Thursday Jun 03, 2021

richwmn

2 hours ago, kazu said:

Anyone use the coconut fibre planters to start plants?  Some of my transplants popped out nicely so I have a ton of them drying.  Can they be re-used or do I need to worry about bacteria?

I'm not a microbiologist and I don't even play one on TV, but I can tell you that the health department considers dishes and flatware in a commercial kitchen to be adequately sterilized when the rinse temperature in the dishwasher reaches 165° F. (74° C.). The oven in my kitchen can be set to 170° and I don't think that is hot enough to set them on fire (remember Fahrenheit 451?). If I were going to try this, I'd start with just a small number.

• Like 13

If you've walked by the St. Alban's Church I showed you earlier you remember this powerful looking fountain in front of it.  enhance

enhance

Another place you may or may not have seen is where the gazebos are located that the Danish Royal family wait in to board their yacht.  They wait in the one with the crown on top, their guests wait in the other one.  Of course!enhance

Here is the Amalienborg Palace complex where the Royal Family live.  It's not far from the yacht gazebos.enhance

enhance

There are actually four palaces on this square, one at each corner.  In the center of the plaza is this statue.enhance

The Marble Church (also called Fredrik's Church).enhance

on our 2017 Kiel Canal cruise on the Prinsendam we actually arrived in the evening and spent the night in Copenhagen.  Here is an early morning shot as we headed into the downtown area.  This pic makes me feel peaceful and I need that now.enhance

This is from our walk through the Kastellet, a pentagram-shaped fortress built in the 17th century.enhance

enhance

See the windmill behind this gorgeous building?enhance

enhance

This is what we like to do in many of our ports - just walk through and see what life is like there.  We don't always need a tour, right?enhance

enhance

I wish I was in Copenhagen today!  Next two stops there are in 2022 so in about 13 months I'll be back there.  Can't wait!enhance

• Like 36
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kazu said:

Well, we can certainly tell it’s June here.  The bane of my existence outside when I’m working:

D8DB032F-6C0E-440D-AD65-83BA7085FDDE.jpeg.c8f4a02a016b229e37aa82a9453b8ae8.jpeg

My mother, in Ohio, always said that if a June bug got inside the house she would leave and never return.

• Like 6
  • Haha 9

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning everyone!  Thank you @richwmnfor our Daily today, @rafinmdfor the Celebration List, and @kazufor our Care/Prayer List.  And to all who post here, thank you for taking the time and getting to know one another.  

Our days of celebration are fun but my favorite is Love Conquers All Day.  There needs to be more love in this world!

Copenhagen is a popular port and I'm happy to have seen it at least 4 times.  Like @daisybertieon our first trip there we stayed in a hotel near the train station and Tivoli Gardens, and it was sooooo tiny there was barely a spot to put our luggage.  Just enough room to walk around the bed!  Our cruise ship cabin felt large in comparison.  My favorite photo from our first day in Copenhagen is Nyhavn which we all probably took one just like it.  I see one already posted!  But this photo made the cover of my cruise photo book.  I love the colors and the beautiful blue sky.enhance

Yesterday I heard news of my sister.  She is usually non verbal now, though if you speak to her she will mumble her brief reply.  It's difficult to understand her.  Her respirations have declined to 4 per minute and that is worrisome.  She no longer eats.  They are having the priest come visit and he will give her Last Rites I would guess.  When I was with her Saturday morning she was speaking clearly although you could tell she was tired.  She had eaten grapes and part of a muffin when I arrived!  My twin had sent along a ziploc bag of homemade chocolate chip cookies and they were delicious.  I offered one to my nephew, and Nancy said "What about me?"  We laughed and said of course you can have one.  She nibbled on it and seemed to enjoy it.  I don't think she's had much if anything to eat since then.  Anyway, after that I texted my son (Nancy is his godmother) and asked if he wanted to FaceTime with Nancy since she was so verbal.  He had been asking about that prior.  So he did FaceTime her and they had a nice chat.  Much love was exchanged between them on that call and I think that's about the last time she's been so awake.  By the time I left for the airport Nancy was dozing off and unable to keep her eyes open long.  She started declining Saturday night.  I'm keeping that morning in my heart.  I don't expect her to last much longer.  It would be a miracle if she did.  🙏

Oh I am so very sorry to hear this 😢. I hope a miracle happens but if it can’t, thank God you went to visit with her on Saturday when she could enjoy your company.  That is a very precious memory for you both ♥️ 

• Like 17

14 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

I'm not a microbiologist and I don't even play one on TV, but I can tell you that the health department considers dishes and flatware in a commercial kitchen to be adequately sterilized when the rinse temperature in the dishwasher reaches 165° F. (74° C.). The oven in my kitchen can be set to 170° and I don't think that is hot enough to set them on fire (remember Fahrenheit 451?). If I were going to try this, I'd start with just a small number.

Thanks.  That’s a brilliant idea.  Once they are dry, I’ll clean them out as best possible and try it.  I don’t think 170 would be hot enough to cause a fire either.  Thank you 🙂 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, St. Louis Sal said:

A little bad news, health wise. I fell while working in my kitchen on Tuesday and my tail bone is not happy. Falls are a danger with ALS, but I try to be careful;  doctor said to give it a couple of days to see how it feels and if no improvement they will X-ray it. 

Oh NO!  I hope your tail bone is feeling much better soon and no X-ray is necessary 🤞 

• Like 14

34 minutes ago, POA1 said:

We would reuse them in Maine which is close to you climate-wise. We washed them out and dried them in the sun. (For quite a while. Pretty much until someone yelled at me to put them away.) They were stored in an unheated shed in the winter. You could reuse them once or twice.

Thank you so much 👍. They aren’t cheap and I go through a lot so if a few can be re-used that is great.  Much appreciated 🙂 

• Like 11

Good morning Daily-ites and thank you Rich and all contributors you all are keeping our dreams to go back to cruising alive .

Growing up in Holland  ( proper name The Netherlands ) I grew up with a bicycle , there are more bikes in Holland than there are people .  ( The extra bikes are hanging around on the bridges in Amsterdam  or in the canals ......!) 

DSCF3514.thumb.jpg.5694395bf412437137cdd50a49a37011.jpg

As a teenager my friends and I made big trips during the summer holidays to Belgium , Luxembourg, Germany and one year even to Paris, France and we stayed in Youth hostels which costs us a guilder  , less than a dollar  a day ,  mind you we had to make our own bed and breakfast and do our own dishes !  We did ride almost 1500 km’s in a couple of weeks per holiday and it was very adventures , that way in the early 60's we were one of the firsts in our families to visit a foreign country .

I have a few pictures today of Copenhagen , Denmark from our Baltic cruise  from 10 years ago on Rotterdam VI 

DSCF2120.thumb.jpg.f23230bc39621de86270f9e42fbea06f.jpg

DSCF2112.thumb.jpg.8a154e237c3735e9c04246622ba20995.jpg

Royal Palace 

DSCF2118.thumb.jpg.51e7545eab1cae27b04eca6a1bba9df0.jpg

DSC00744.thumb.JPG.874ec67513674275b1e17dd2a2226463.JPG

And Tivoli 

DSCF2125.thumb.jpg.2b4e81987e5b7a12005315599f04f6d5.jpg

DSCF2130.thumb.jpg.b968ac9b1e2890bdaa92b6f1e74f50b9.jpg

DSCF2131.thumb.jpg.ebf6f99eac259e007825f1bf5e0c842c.jpg

DSCF2133.thumb.jpg.57fa78e8ff3852b624c1567d28383301.jpg

Almost ready to take off to Northern Germany 

DSC00745.thumb.JPG.b34d2f43241cf67f730b243ba3967817.JPG

DSCF2137.thumb.jpg.db5ad02a69cf2bcb056f005f00eaf168.jpg

Tony 😄
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ger_77 said:

I learned last night that my favourite uncle is in the hospital with Covid and is not expected to survive.  He's 90 and a couple of weeks ago, went in with a bladder infection; two days after his release from hospital, he was diagnosed with Covid and back he went.  Apparently the entire ward he was in was infected and they all subsequently returned to the hospital. 

Oh Gerry, that is so sad 😞 and really horrible that his ward was infected with covid 😱 He and you are in my prayers 🙏🏻 I am so very sorry to hear this and know how much he means to you ♥️ 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, superoma said:

The scapes are in! We just cut the scapes off the garlic. They will go into a stir fry along with garden rapinin!

D25BF1CD-B910-419B-BF43-64D3FAD3C1D0.jpeg

88D68B27-67C4-42ED-8362-B40BEC986771.jpeg

YUM!  They are delish!

• Like 11

Good morning, all! During the pandemic, most days feel like repeat day! I love the quote. The meal sounds good, but from @superoma’s description, it doesn’t sound like a spur of the moment meal choice! The heat has broken, so DH will finally get the split pea and ham soup he’s been asking for. I think the slow cooker will live on the patio while it does it’s thing, though! I haven’t had a White Russian in years. Three things I remember about them are 1) they don’t taste like alcohol. 2) they go down far too smoothly 3) the evening somehow ends in much hilarity and disaster. I haven’t been to Copenhagen, but plan to in 2023. Thank you all for the pictures, and for mention of the HOHO boat tour! @StLouisCruisersSandi, I’m so glad you’re sister rallied for your visit, and the FaceTime with your son. Our hearts are with you as you go through this difficult time. @ger_77, Gerry, I’m so sorry about your uncle. The whole ward was infected? That really does suck!

The day before the heat hit, I got a couple of silk scarves printed. I call them town and country, as one is from ornamental trees on the city boulevards, and the other is from trees in the Salt Spring Island forest. The island maple leaves are so big they couldn’t fit on the scarf, so they were cut in half and arranged with the mid lines down the scarf edges. 

Printed Monday, but finished up yesterday.

E91966F6-02F0-4B5F-B18B-659B78B6AE1B.thumb.jpeg.a6a358487f1f73663767835dc33f672b.jpeg94ED4E94-14E1-49C2-97F8-E51D00A377D7.thumb.jpeg.8f7edc03e9c3cea3adb3a3de165b247f.jpeg

Happy Thursday! Yesterday I was on the phone rearranging a New England cruise on the Zaandam. Although it’s still far away, our beloved BHB’s seem closer now!

5D4BBCD5-3FA6-45FB-BFBB-69FC764A679C.thumb.jpeg.acd9e0a2588cd5e26a55b57e3f372c1d.jpeg

• Like 27

Good morning all!

Our heat of the last few days is breaking, I'm looking forward to cooler temps.  Other than watering the garden, I don't want to garden when it gets above 80F.

Our visit with the grandsons yesterday was wonderful.  The birthday boy loved his cupcakes and I was the first to sign Foster's cast.  It was appropriate, as he was the first to sign (scribble) on my cast 5 years ago when he was only 3.  He's doing great, and seemed even proud that he's the only student in his class to have broken a bone. 😅

I've never been into bicycle riding, but DH was for a few years.  He did the Seattle-Portland bike ride with our daughter when he was in his 60's, so I'm proud of him for that. 

Will pass on the meal, I think it will be tacos tonight.  Thank goodness I looked at the calendar this morning, I had completely forgotten that I have a doctor's appointment this afternoon (!)  I think that means life is getting fuller again -- a few months ago something like that wouldn't have happened.  Just a post-Diabetes labs check (labs were good).

@StLouisCruisersmy heart goes out to you.  Keep those good memories of your sister close -- you will always be thankful for them.  Prayers and hugs!

@ger_77prayers for your dear uncle, you and the whole family.  How sad that this happened at all but especially in a hospital. 😞  

@St. Louis Salouch!  I'm so sorry about your fall, especially right after the lumbar puncture. Good about your third dose -- you may have said, but do you know how many doses there will be?  

We've been to Copenhagen once at the end of a Baltic cruise on the Eurodam in 2014.  We spent a couple days there before flying home.  The weather turned from just threatening to downright nasty, so we had to give up on the idea of visiting Tivoli Gardens but did manage to squeeze in a canal ride and visited Rosenborg and Kronburg Castles.

View from our hotel window of the train we took into the city and back.

2136403009_viewfromhotelwindowtraintocity.jpg.c2373a5aa6e67a0871aa4cbda9f155c6.jpg

Skies were threatening during our canal ride

1983008587_canalride.thumb.jpg.a0735eecf308a896c466d238974f6a4d.jpg

Disappointing view of the back of the Little Mermaid from the boat.  We could barely see it.

1728870745_LittleMermaid.jpg.f9b86be063033ff69bb474b4f894b1d0.jpg

Frederiksborg Castle

149892094_FrederiksborgCastle.jpg.db710023d5e3043b6c197478164ccf30.jpg

Rosenborg Castle

733275782_RosenborgCastle3generationsofkingslivedthere.jpg.abd243831a9cd885f8b58f5c21ab3fbd.jpg

• Like 26

3 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning everyone!  Thank you @richwmnfor our Daily today, @rafinmdfor the Celebration List, and @kazufor our Care/Prayer List.  And to all who post here, thank you for taking the time and getting to know one another.  

Our days of celebration are fun but my favorite is Love Conquers All Day.  There needs to be more love in this world!

Copenhagen is a popular port and I'm happy to have seen it at least 4 times.  Like @daisybertieon our first trip there we stayed in a hotel near the train station and Tivoli Gardens, and it was sooooo tiny there was barely a spot to put our luggage.  Just enough room to walk around the bed!  Our cruise ship cabin felt large in comparison.  My favorite photo from our first day in Copenhagen is Nyhavn which we all probably took one just like it.  I see one already posted!  But this photo made the cover of my cruise photo book.  I love the colors and the beautiful blue sky.enhance

Yesterday I heard news of my sister.  She is usually non verbal now, though if you speak to her she will mumble her brief reply.  It's difficult to understand her.  Her respirations have declined to 4 per minute and that is worrisome.  She no longer eats.  They are having the priest come visit and he will give her Last Rites I would guess.  When I was with her Saturday morning she was speaking clearly although you could tell she was tired.  She had eaten grapes and part of a muffin when I arrived!  My twin had sent along a ziploc bag of homemade chocolate chip cookies and they were delicious.  I offered one to my nephew, and Nancy said "What about me?"  We laughed and said of course you can have one.  She nibbled on it and seemed to enjoy it.  I don't think she's had much if anything to eat since then.  Anyway, after that I texted my son (Nancy is his godmother) and asked if he wanted to FaceTime with Nancy since she was so verbal.  He had been asking about that prior.  So he did FaceTime her and they had a nice chat.  Much love was exchanged between them on that call and I think that's about the last time she's been so awake.  By the time I left for the airport Nancy was dozing off and unable to keep her eyes open long.  She started declining Saturday night.  I'm keeping that morning in my heart.  I don't expect her to last much longer.  It would be a miracle if she did.  🙏

Sandi, I’m sorry your sister i declining so fast, and I know it is hard on all the family.  The memory of your visit and your son’s call will be something you will treasure.  You and all your family and especially your sister are in my thoughts.

Lenda

• Like 13

👍Thank You to Rich @richwmn for the Daily, to Jacqui @kazu for the Care List and to Roy @rafinmdfor the Celebration List....and to all posting today.😊

No biking for me for awhile.... darn! we just bought these 'cool e-bikes' a few months ago.🚴‍♀️🚴‍♂️

Our hotel room near the train station in Copenhagen looked like the size of a closet...same experience as @StLouisCruisers. Our luggage only fit in the elevator and we had to run up stairs to retrieve it, lol!! Copenhagen was a fun place to explore before boarding the Emerald Princess in 2011 for the Baltics. TEN years ago...goodness!😉

🙏Special prayers to so many in need now!! 🙏

Katie

20210414_115805.jpg

20210603_073941.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  We haven't ridden bikes in forever, forever!  Love the fact that it's love conquers all day - something that newlyweds need to remember when things get tough.  

@StLouisCruisers, my heart goes out to you and your family; I'm just glad you had your time together with your sister and came home with good memories.  Please know that I join this community in prayer for a peaceful passing when her time comes.

I didn't sleep well at all last night and it wasn't from my 2nd jab; I learned last night that my favourite uncle is in the hospital with Covid and is not expected to survive.  He's 90 and a couple of weeks ago, went in with a bladder infection; two days after his release from hospital, he was diagnosed with Covid and back he went.  Apparently the entire ward he was in was infected and they all subsequently returned to the hospital.  I spoke with my cousin last night and in her words "the clan is gathering tonight", so I'm not sure if he made it through the night or not.  Sad, because he was the first person I met from my birth family; he welcomed me into the family as if I was his own.

I didn't end up making the couscous and chicken last night, as DH and I went for a ride in the topless car and ended up stopping for burgers and ice cream on the way home.  Today's going to be even hotter (possibly 36C), so I'm going to get the chicken baked early this morning on the deck and have it refrigerated for tonight's attempt at the couscous and chicken dish.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising the glasses to toast all on the celebration list.  Be safe, stay well, wash your hands and wear your masks!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Gerry, I’m sorry your dear uncle has COVID-19 and the prognosis is not good.  You and your family will be in my thoughts today and in the future.

Lenda

• Like 11

It wasn't raining at breakfast time, so I managed to finish mowing the front and side lawns. It was humid and looked as if rain would resume at any moment. I would happily share some rainy days with those of you who need them.

I haven't been in Copenhagen for many years, so any pictures I have were taken with film. If I were to take a cruise from Copenhagen, I would have liked to fly to Hamburg and take the train via Puttgarden and Rødby, because they loaded the entire train onto a ferry between those stations, but that route has been discontinued and will eventually be replaced by one using a tunnel.

• Like 14

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Thank you so much 👍. They aren’t cheap and I go through a lot so if a few can be re-used that is great.  Much appreciated 🙂 

Below is a link to the technical procedure for reusing coconut coir. (Personal disclosure: We just rinsed ours thoroughly and set them out in the sun for a while. I did flip them over so all sides would get sun. Then, as I said, we left them out in the cold all winter. Our temps were often below 10°F / -12°C in January & February,)

https://www.advancednutrients.com/articles/reusing-coco-coir/

If you don't want to go the complicated enzyme route, some gardening experts recommend a light solution of household disinfectant.

Edited by POA1
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, garlictown said:

Recognize anyone from the Cruise Critic group @StLouisCruisers??? 🚢I download the cruise history from the Princess website and it just has the year and 29 days. Sound familiar?😉

Katie

0_FB_IMG_1569827309403.jpg

0_FB_IMG_1569827303025.jpg

No I don't really recognize anyone in the photos.  We booked the final Baltic cruise of the season followed by that transatlantic.  That was our only cruise that year because we built our house here in Georgia while selling our home in St. Louis.  Somehow it all worked out.

• Like 8

20 minutes ago, POA1 said:

Below is a link to the technical procedure for reusing coconut coir. (Personal disclosure: We just rinsed ours thoroughly and set them out in the sun for a while. I did flip them over so all sides would get sun. Then, as I said, we left them out in the cold all winter. Our temps were often below 10°F / -12°C in January & February,)

https://www.advancednutrients.com/articles/reusing-coco-coir/

If you don't want to go the complicated enzyme route, some gardening experts recommend a light solution of household disinfectant.

Thanks kindly, Brian.  

That is very kind of you and I appreciate it.  I guess I should have googled better 😉 

• Like 8

25 minutes ago, garlictown said:

Recognize anyone from the Cruise Critic group @StLouisCruisers??? 🚢I download the cruise history from the Princess website and it just has the year and 29 days. Sound familiar?😉

Katie

0_FB_IMG_1569827309403.jpg

0_FB_IMG_1569827303025.jpg

Although, if your trip was 29 days that sounds like the Baltic cruise followed by the transatlantic.  That was about 29 days so yes, we could very well have been on the same B2B.  Small world!🌎

• Like 5

You are all up early this morning, or maybe I am just late. Bicycle day?.... I am waaay to old and too much of a klutz now. I think the last time I rode a bicycle was in China in 1984. The bicycle and I both survived.... and it greatly entertained the population of Datong. Copenhagen is one of my favorite ports. Have visited twice on cruises and also did a week there just as vacation. Besides the usual sights, I spent a lot of time in museums. Really enjoyed it and if you are interested in prehistory, the museums are really interesting.

Today will be spent in meetings (3 of them) and overseeing what I hope is the last of the painting on my condo building. By the way, I am still waiting for resolution on the window and the patio door by Home Depot. Have talked with other people who are also having problems. This does not seem to be a good time to deal with renovations at the Humane Society... everything is in short supply, everyone is overbooked for construction work, and tempers seem to be getting short.

Our mountain lion was spotted further south.... he may be headed for some nice wilderness area. More power to him. Move on kitty-cat.

Susan

• Like 18
  • Haha 1

Good morning, fellow Dailyites.  So sorry about all the sad news this morning, I'll be praying that that changes and peace comes to all.  @StLouisCruisers, I don't have any siblings, but I can imagine how awful it must be to be losing someone so much a part of your life.  And, @ger_77, how sad that your uncle contracted Covid in the hospital where he was supposed to be getting better.  

We have been to Copenhagen, but our memories are not so good.  We arrived at the same time as DD,  (for a Baltic cruise on Westerdam) but she had flown from Canada, and we had had weeks in Ireland and England, so were not jet-lagged.  We got to our hotel and were met by my cousin who had been in Denmark for some time, too, and he wanted to go out for lunch pdq, so we dumped our stuff and headed out to a restaurant, where DD had her purse stolen.  She had everything in it, passports, phone, ATC ID, camera, money and credit cards, etc. (She had only removed her cruise papers as they were so bulky.)  Panic!  We looked in every trash bin on the way back to the hotel hoping some of it would be discarded, but no luck.  We called our other DD and she had all Cathy's information re credit cards, etc., so she was put in charge of cancelling everything, and we got a taxi to take us to the Canadian Embassy to try to get a new passport.  Fortunately, someone was still there (Saturday afternoon) and started things rolling to get her a new passport but they needed a police report, so the taxi then took us on a wild ride around Copenhagen hunting for a police station that was open.  Finally, all that was accomplished, but she had to wait 3 days to get her new passport, so we left on the cruise without her, having given her one of my credit cards and a note saying she was allowed to use it, plus all our cash and any bottled water that we could find!  I hated leaving her behind, but she was able to join us in Helsinki, having missed St. Petersburg.  It did put a dampener on the cruise.  We will be going back to Copenhagen next year, if all goes as planned, and hope things go more smoothly.  I believe there are a lot of thieves and pickpockets in Copenhagen, but we didn't know that ahead of time.  

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1