Question for Unvax'd who have July/August/Sept Carnival cruises booked...

With the news (only firm for July so far, my understanding) that unvax'd will need to complete paperwork to be put into the pool for the "lucky 5% draw" to see who among you gets to cruise... are you canceling?... completing the paperwork and rolling the dice?... joining the vaccinated crowd?... other?  It would be great if we could just see the effect of Carnival's decision on the unvax'd peeps (regardless of reason for being unvax'd) WITHOUT negativity creeping into the thread - I know that's asking a bit much, but a guy can dream... 

• Like 6

I am booked on a 4 day cruise out of Galveston at the end of August.  I am hesitant to get the vaccine because I don't do well with medication and have some allergies.  So I am in a waiting pattern.  If required to cruise I will get the J&J shot.  My hope is by then it will not be required.  I wouldn't want to take a chance on the 5%.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

With the restrictions and the "what ifs"  it would be too stressful IMO to book a cruise if unvax.  I think very few people would want to risk being turned away at the port,  or getting to a scheduled port and not being able to debark due to that Countries COVID guidelines,  and having to wear a mask while 95 percent of remaining passengers don't, and being restricted to certain areas.   Going with all passengers vaxed during the first few months of initial cruising is in the best interest to the cruiselines and passengers for monetary, health and less stress reasons.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, surfone said:

With the restrictions and the "what ifs"  it would be too stressful IMO to book a cruise if unvax.  I think very few people would want to risk being turned away at the port,  or getting to a scheduled port and not being able to debark due to that Countries COVID guidelines,  and having to wear a mask while 95 percent of remaining passengers don't, and being restricted to certain areas.   Going with all passengers vaxed during the first few months of initial cruising is in the best interest to the cruiselines and passengers for monetary, health and less stress reasons.

I agree!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, surfone said:

it would be too stressful IMO to book a cruise if unvax.  

I think the question was meant as what if you are already booked what will you do . He isnt suggesting to book unvaxxed short term.

It's a what will you do...

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, MeganGC1983 said:

If it’s a cruise to Mexico ie Cozumel, Progreso or Costa Maya… there aren’t any restrictions to worry about. 

True, but always a possibility to change.  My August cruise is none of the above ports.  It should be an interesting cruise review reading for the first few months of July/August cruises

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, surfone said:

True, but always a possibility to change.  My August cruise is none of the above ports.  It should be an interesting cruise review reading for the first few months of July/August cruises

I think we are going to roatan and Belize. I read those protocols and not sure if they say dont book private excursions ... new protocols confused me.

With only 41% of the population vaccinated and demand for vaccines falling off a cliff they won't be able to sustain this long term. They can fill their two or three ships at half capacity for now, but eventually their going to want to start making money. 

• Like 11

19 minutes ago, sm3ds said:

With only 41% of the population vaccinated and demand for vaccines falling off a cliff they won't be able to sustain this long term. They can fill their two or three ships at half capacity for now, but eventually their going to want to start making money. 

don't think there will be any problems filling to whatever capacity they are at all cruises for the next 6 months or so. there are plenty of vaccinated cruisers, and in the older age groups the vaccinated percentage is way higher than your 41% and this age group makes up a lot of the repeat cruisers. we cruise sometimes 3 times a year and would only do an all vaccinated cruise as would most all the older generation.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

I think we are going to roatan and Belize. I read those protocols and not sure if they say dont book private excursions ... new protocols confused me.

I know what you mean,  ours is Aruba, a few in DR and one other Port and I know that Aruba has up until recently strict covid entry guidelines as we had wanted to fly there for a few weeks but at the time the restrictions, etc., were a little too complicated for us and we chose not to go. I haven't looked into excursions yet and possibly would like a few private ones but not sure with the ever changing protocols

8 minutes ago, surfone said:

I know what you mean,  ours is Aruba, a few in DR and one other Port and I know that Aruba has up until recently strict covid entry guidelines as we had wanted to fly there for a few weeks but at the time the restrictions, etc., were a little too complicated for us and we chose not to go. I haven't looked into excursions yet and possibly would like a few private ones but not sure with the ever changing protocols

My fear is new protocols say might be even fewer spots for excursions than before. But I want to use obc to pay for mine. I'm worried I wouldnt get the carnival excursion I want.

I'm glad I dont have a family and that I live in texas not florida. 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, sm3ds said:

Yeah no doubt about it, the requirement will not last.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, sm3ds said:

Au contraire my friend. You might be right that the nation as a whole has just about peaked but even at that the percentage vaccinated is still climbing and will easily get to 55 or 60%.

Not as high a number as hoped for, but a large majority of people regardless.

As for cruises, the percentage of older people on ships is much higher than older people in general. And being that probably 80% minimum of people older than 55 have been vaccinated that changes the statistics for cruises.

And most importantly, just reading others comments on all posts related to vaccinations, you’ll notice the pro vax comment at least 3 times as much as non vaxxers. Assuming that reflects most people’s attitudes then you can throw the national statistics out the window. 
Very unscientifically and just a personal guess, I would put the numbers with all the above considered to be more like 80% vaccinated for those booked or ready to book.

And last but not least, I would say you will have many many more people say they will only go if there’s a mandatory vaccinated rule.

Personally, I’m no longer worried about catching it, but I’ll be damn if I’m going on a cruise that has a good chance for an outbreak, thus effectively ending that cruise or as a party to ending future cruise as the industry once again gets shut down.

We really have to look at the fragility of the cruise industry in regards to Covid and stop thinking about our own self interests.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

I MAY be misunderstanding the updated policy but I believe that ALL of the 5% will be children under 12 that are presently ineligible for the vaccine.  I don't believe Carnival is opening its cruise to the 'eligible but not vaccinated' cohort.  Again, I could be mistaken.

• Like 11

3 minutes ago, amcankid said:

Au contraire my friend. You might be right that the nation as a whole has just about peaked but even at that the percentage vaccinated is still climbing and will easily get to 55 or 60%.

Not as high a number as hoped for, but a large majority of people regardless.

As for cruises, the percentage of older people on ships is much higher than older people in general. And being that probably 80% minimum of people older than 55 have been vaccinated that changes the statistics for cruises.

And most importantly, just reading others comments on all posts related to vaccinations, you’ll notice the pro vax comment at least 3 times as much as non vaxxers. Assuming that reflects most people’s attitudes then you can throw the national statistics out the window. 
Very unscientifically and just a personal guess, I would put the numbers with all the above considered to be more like 80% vaccinated for those booked or ready to book.

And last but not least, I would say you will have many many more people say they will only go if there’s a mandatory vaccinated rule.

Personally, I’m no longer worried about catching it, but I’ll be damn if I’m going on a cruise that has a good chance for an outbreak, thus effectively ending that cruise or as a party to ending future cruise as the industry once again gets shut down.

We really have to look at the fragility of the cruise industry in regards to Covid and stop thinking about our own self interests.

The nation does not just consist of adults. Only 6% of children 12-15 have been fully vaccinated. The younger the child the more hesitant parents will be. 

This board does not represent the view of the whole population. Only about 15 million Americans cruise every year and that was when times were good.

Cruise lines have designed all their new ships for family's not for old people. They were counting on the family market. Maybe they can get the old people to play laser tag, bumper cars and ride the rollercoaster. I don't know, but I'm guessing they prefer the smaller ships. 

It will be interesting to see how Disney handles this, but it doesn't appear they are in any hurry to jump into the fire. They'll sit back and watch all the other cruise lines make fools of themselves.  

The vaccination rate currently is at 42%. Some of the states cruises embark from are sitting in the low 30's, Vaccine centers are being shut down due to lack of demand. Every place where I live is walk in and they are empty. 

As far as the fragility of the cruise industry that's not my problem. My life has been fine over the last year without cruises. I enjoy cruises and I'd like to go on one again someday, but it's not the end of the world if the cruise lines don't survive.  

• Like 7

27 minutes ago, jsglow said:

I MAY be misunderstanding the updated policy but I believe that ALL of the 5% will be children under 12 that are presently ineligible for the vaccine.  I don't believe Carnival is opening its cruise to the 'eligible but not vaccinated' cohort.  Again, I could be mistaken.

I think you are mistaken. The 5% also includes adults who legitimately should not get the vaccine. ADA will need to be considered.

• Like 3

Just now, BlerkOne said:

I think you are mistaken. The 5% also includes adults who legitimately should not get the vaccine. ADA will need to be considered.

Yeah, I saw that too as I read further.  Expect those numbers to be exceptionally low.  What it doesn't seem to include is the 'I don't want to be vaxxed' guy.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, jsglow said:

Yeah, I saw that too as I read further.  Expect those numbers to be exceptionally low.  What it doesn't seem to include is the 'I don't want to be vaxxed' guy.

Most definitely not. They are free choose a different vacation.

Edited by BlerkOne
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Look, this is all very simple.  Carnival is simply NOT going to dilute their product offering to 'Not Fun Ship' status in order to be in compliance with CDC regulations for unvaccinated sailings.  They've made that position abundantly clear.  They will, however, continue to press for looser restrictions and will accommodate the unvaxxed when the onerous regulations go away.  And in the meantime, they'll use the 5% carve out for innocent kids and very special circumstances as Blerk mentioned.  I'll bet you all a beer that instantaneous waiver rejection letters will go out to the eligible 'I don't want the shot' crowd.   As I've said many times, being unvaccinated isn't a protected class.  Here's your money back.   

• Like 14

3 hours ago, surfone said:

Going with all passengers vaxed during the first few months of initial cruising is in the best interest to the cruiselines and passengers for monetary, health and less stress reasons.

Preach it!  This is EXACTLY what I've been saying all along. But apparently not all see it that way.  If the lines want to survive (and I sure want them to!), this seems like the only logical way to approach it.  I'm just sayin'.......😉  And right now, I'd take a "cruise to nowhere" - doesn't matter if I can get off the ship and explore the ports or not, so the excursion limitations don't concern me.  I just want to sail!  🛳️

Edited by LHARTWICK
added comment
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, sm3ds said:

Cruise lines have designed all their new ships for family's not for old people. They were counting on the family market. Maybe they can get the old people to play laser tag, bumper cars and ride the rollercoaster. I don't know, but I'm guessing they prefer the smaller ships

I'm guessing you are very very young. I'm older and do NOT prefer the smaller ships. I loved Oasis and cant wait for allure. I love rides. I did the sky ride on vista, I love bumper cars and roller coasters. If mardi gras goes out of Galveston count me in on the roller coaster. I dont think age has a thing to do with loving rides. 

Do you know any older people? I've hiked in Hawaii and to the bottom of the Grand Canyon and love adventure. People might change in looks but they are the same inside as they were before. Wait until you get older, maybe you wouldnt post nonsense. Air boats, so fun. Belize  speed boats in cozumel. Bring it on. 

I do feel bad for families. 

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, sm3ds said:

The nation does not just consist of adults. Only 6% of children 12-15 have been fully vaccinated. The younger the child the more hesitant parents will be. 

This board does not represent the view of the whole population. Only about 15 million Americans cruise every year and that was when times were good.

Cruise lines have designed all their new ships for family's not for old people. They were counting on the family market. Maybe they can get the old people to play laser tag, bumper cars and ride the rollercoaster. I don't know, but I'm guessing they prefer the smaller ships. 

It will be interesting to see how Disney handles this, but it doesn't appear they are in any hurry to jump into the fire. They'll sit back and watch all the other cruise lines make fools of themselves.  

The vaccination rate currently is at 42%. Some of the states cruises embark from are sitting in the low 30's, Vaccine centers are being shut down due to lack of demand. Every place where I live is walk in and they are empty. 

As far as the fragility of the cruise industry that's not my problem. My life has been fine over the last year without cruises. I enjoy cruises and I'd like to go on one again someday, but it's not the end of the world if the cruise lines don't survive.  

Once again you’re showing the me first attitude that most anti- vaxxers show.

To say the fragility is not your problem makes it a problem for all. Whether you care if you ever go on another cruise or not doesn’t mean the rest of us are as ambivalent to cruising.

And most of us who do want the cruise industry to survive and thrive understand the importance of doing all that can be done to avoid a serious outbreak which would effectively shut the industry down.

I could care less whether you choose to get vaccinated outside of anything cruise related. If you shop at Walmart and later that week you get extremely sick, Walmart will continue to thrive. 
Not so if either on the ship or shortly after the cruise. They will trace it back to the ship and shut it down for thorough cleansing. And if enough passengers get sick? Goodbye cruise industry for another few months, some permanently. 
Not that you care, cause you could take or leave what we passionately love!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1