The Daily for Thursday Jun 10, 2021

richwmn

4 hours ago, kazu said:

I’m going to be busy cancelling flights, hotels & a bunch of cruise on the Future Cruise listing again 😢 

Thank you for keep the Future Cruise list up-to-date. Some day will have Bon Voyages again. 🤞

• Like 6

Good afternoon everyone and Happy Thursday!  Thank you for the Daily Rich. Great collection of days today. I couldn’t cook without herbs and spices. 

I started to post yesterday but CC went down and it ended up getting too late. We drove down the mountain yesterday after closing up the cabin and I had such a bad headache that lasted the rest of the day. I don’t do curvy, windy, mountain roads very well. I probably should have taken my Bonine. 

I haven’t read the entire thread yet so thanks in advance to everyone posting pictures, memes, thoughts, prayers, celebrations, etc. And thank you for your lists Roy and I am happy you are planning on cardio rehab. I remember that it really helped my stepfather after his bypass. 

I took a nice walk the last evening at the cabin and Lizard Rock never fails to impress me:

1F30F7EB-0A6E-458E-A08E-3D854211F557.thumb.jpeg.56bf96285a31026ec32fd617ea1e50b3.jpeg

E3CC2813-6F2A-47F5-B328-80F1EBB8530C.thumb.jpeg.920740f62854c9fb2c585b9befe86992.jpeg

And our last sunset:

E6123521-B28C-4E97-891D-5484F52A956A.thumb.jpeg.9544bbfe53db50aa36548fe14c634fb9.jpeg

9B192F39-4D45-4EF6-9C49-241C1EF14E18.thumb.jpeg.145d584da39a4369ac35e8affe2285af.jpeg

We are expecting extreme heat 🥵 over the next 10 days or so. Thank goodness for AC!

Have a great day everyone!

Edited by Sharon in AZ
Typo
  • Like 27

1 hour ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

To make this day even better..read the thread about the change in alcohol policy.   No more 1 free bottle 😱

Huh?  The new policy was published a few days ago and it was 2 bottles per stateroom.

And a new corkage fee of $20 (which I have no problem with).  I’ll check it out later.  Thanks for the heads up, I think 😉 

• Like 8

32 minutes ago, kazu said:

Huh?  The new policy was published a few days ago and it was 2 bottles per stateroom.

And a new corkage fee of $20 (which I have no problem with).  I’ll check it out later.  Thanks for the heads up, I think 😉 

From know before you go:

Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages on board for consumption or any other use except as follows:

Guests may bring Wine and Champagne onboard, however a corkage fee of USD $20.00 (which is subject to change without notice) will be applied to each bottle (max 750 ml in volume or less). Limitations apply. Wine brought in quantities deemed to be excessive by the vessel or security will be refused.

Items such as sodas, energy drinks or other non-alcoholic items are not allowed on board in any form. Plastic water bottles are not allowed. However, an allowance of six liters, twelve (12) cans or cartons (500 ml in volume or less) or six (6) cans or cartons (1 liter in volume or less) of water are allowed per stateroom.  Any amount in excess of this allowance will be not be allowed onboard. Water in plastic bottles will not be allowed onboard in any quantity, including in ports of call. Guests will be asked to discard open beverages in plastic containers prior to boarding.     

lots of changes!

Edited by superoma
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Overhead Fred said:

We attended the Cellar Master's dinner on the Koningsdam during our east bound TA in 2018. They started us off with Lemon Drops -

20180402_142831.thumb.jpg.51bca5b1891dda4d33a7f3af6d4105ff.jpg20180402_142913.thumb.jpg.a5bf348f49f5f1ef37765102551abb47.jpg

Since it is Herb & Spice day, let me put in a plug for HAL's Tuscan Lemon Drop (copied from a HAL mixology class) -

Tuscan Lemon Drop

1/8th lemon wedge

1.5 oz Citron

0.5 oz Limoncello

1 oz lemon/lime sour

Small sprig of fresh rosemary

Squeeze or muddle lemon into mixer glass, bend (or muddle) rosemary sprig into mixer glass, add liquor and ice and shake vigorously. Strain into superfine sugar rimmed martini glass, garnish with rosemary sprig.

Wow!  Those look so good. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

• Like 6

8 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Today's sunrise is from my 2016 Bermuda plus cruise on the Anthem of the Seas.  June 10 was a sea day from Labadee, Haiti to Bayonne:

dawn610a.jpg

Roy

Roy, I think this one of the most beautiful sunrises you have posted!  Gorgeous!

• Like 9

6 hours ago, garlictown said:

The cast ( only one week) on my wrist seems heavy😮....been 38 days post surgery on my shoulder and arm but who is counting?!?

I felt that my cast was taken off too soon, it was only 4 weeks. I was put in a removable brace which I hated, very sweaty and much more uncomfortable than the cast. However, I know why they do that, they want you to get your mobility back sooner than later. 

Take care!

• Like 8

34 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

I felt that my cast was taken off too soon, it was only 4 weeks. I was put in a removable brace which I hated, very sweaty and much more uncomfortable than the cast. However, I know why they do that, they want you to get your mobility back sooner than later. 

Take care!

The sooner it is off the better.  Believe me you are talking to a person who had too many all of a sudden 😉 

exactly on the mobility.  Hope you have rehab/PT booked and get on it quickly.  It’s the secret to success as much as we all dislike it 😉 

• Like 7

Roy, I agree that the sunset posted today is just wonderful!  I also agree that a Lemondrop Martini is wonderful!  The last one I had was on the Oosterdam in December 2019.....sigh.....

Best wishes to all the Dailyites.  I really enjoy connecting each day, although being on the west coast I usually am late to the conversation.  Sometimes I'm still awake when @erewhonand the Australian posters chime in!

~Nancy

• Like 11

1 hour ago, superoma said:

From know before you go:

Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages on board for consumption or any other use except as follows:

Guests may bring Wine and Champagne onboard, however a corkage fee of USD $20.00 (which is subject to change without notice) will be applied to each bottle (max 750 ml in volume or less). Limitations apply. Wine brought in quantities deemed to be excessive by the vessel or security will be refused.

Items such as sodas, energy drinks or other non-alcoholic items are not allowed on board in any form. Plastic water bottles are not allowed. However, an allowance of six liters, twelve (12) cans or cartons (500 ml in volume or less) or six (6) cans or cartons (1 liter in volume or less) of water are allowed per stateroom.  Any amount in excess of this allowance will be not be allowed onboard. Water in plastic bottles will not be allowed onboard in any quantity, including in ports of call. Guests will be asked to discard open beverages in plastic containers prior to boarding.     

lots of changes!

I think the Know Before you Go is incomplete.  It’s skipping the first few paragraphs.  

From May 31st: copy and pasted:

On 5/31/2021 at 9:32 PM,  rajkr74 said: 
   9 hours ago,  rajkr74 said:

We received a copy of the new HAL CruiseContract from our TA and there are some changes concerning what and how much Non Alcoholic beverages you can bring on board.  Corkage fee is now $20 USD per bottle.  This is  the paragraph dealing with this.

Guests agree not to bring alcoholic or non-alcoholicbeverages on board for consumption or for any other use except as follows:

• For Guests of legal drinking age, an allowance of two (2) bottles of wine or champagne (750 mL in volume or less) per stateroom may be presented to security during embarkation.

• For world cruises, or cruises with consecutive voyages, this allowance can be multiplied by the number of segments that comprise the complete sailing. Items for futuresegments/voyages will be held by the vessel and delivered on the first day of each segment. Guests should present their documentation for any consecutive sailings to security onboarding day.

• A US $20.00 corkage fee (which is subject to changewithout notice) will apply to each additional bottle (750 ml in volume or less) beyond the two (2) bottle allowance. Limitations apply. Wine brought inquantities deemed to be excessive by the vessel or security will be refused.

• Guests are also prohibited from bringing water,sodas and other non-alcoholic beverages on board that are packaged in bottles. A small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages (i.e., sparkling water, sodas, juice, milk) packaged in cans or cartons may bebrought on board on embarkation day, only if carried on in Guests’ hand luggage (not in checkedluggage). A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 sealed, unopened cans/cartons of 12 ounces eachor less per person. Guests will be asked to discard open beverages in plastic containers prior to boarding.

It appears the first few paragraphs are missing on the know before you go or Rick (a trustworthy CC member) was lied to on his HAL contract from his TA.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Royal Quays outlet shopping is just past the Premier Inn under a mile from North Shields cruise terminal entrance.

You saw some of Hadrian's Roman wall at Wallsend but if there is time about 30 miles away not far from the A69 road past Hexham and Corbridge there is a lot of the wall still standing plus a Roman museum.

Graham.

We had a choice of that tour or what we did.  We enjoyed Walls End and the museum.  It was also interesting to see the only train station who’s name was in English and Latin.  We might go out to the other time the next time we are in the area.

Lenda

• Like 6

1 hour ago, kazu said:

The sooner it is off the better.  Believe me you are talking to a person who had too many all of a sudden 😉 

exactly on the mobility.  Hope you have rehab/PT booked and get on it quickly.  It’s the secret to success as much as we all dislike it 😉 

And  that  is  why  my  nagging/motivational  abilities  produced  good  results! I  often  spent  the  whole  day  convincing  others  to  do  things  they  did  not  want  to  do.😍😍

• Like 10

1 hour ago, kazu said:

I think the Know Before you Go is incomplete.  It’s skipping the first few paragraphs.  

From May 31st: copy and pasted:

On 5/31/2021 at 9:32 PM,  rajkr74 said: 
   9 hours ago,  rajkr74 said:

We received a copy of the new HAL CruiseContract from our TA and there are some changes concerning what and how much Non Alcoholic beverages you can bring on board.  Corkage fee is now $20 USD per bottle.  This is  the paragraph dealing with this.

Guests agree not to bring alcoholic or non-alcoholicbeverages on board for consumption or for any other use except as follows:

• For Guests of legal drinking age, an allowance of two (2) bottles of wine or champagne (750 mL in volume or less) per stateroom may be presented to security during embarkation.

• For world cruises, or cruises with consecutive voyages, this allowance can be multiplied by the number of segments that comprise the complete sailing. Items for futuresegments/voyages will be held by the vessel and delivered on the first day of each segment. Guests should present their documentation for any consecutive sailings to security onboarding day.

• A US $20.00 corkage fee (which is subject to changewithout notice) will apply to each additional bottle (750 ml in volume or less) beyond the two (2) bottle allowance. Limitations apply. Wine brought inquantities deemed to be excessive by the vessel or security will be refused.

• Guests are also prohibited from bringing water,sodas and other non-alcoholic beverages on board that are packaged in bottles. A small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages (i.e., sparkling water, sodas, juice, milk) packaged in cans or cartons may bebrought on board on embarkation day, only if carried on in Guests’ hand luggage (not in checkedluggage). A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 sealed, unopened cans/cartons of 12 ounces eachor less per person. Guests will be asked to discard open beverages in plastic containers prior to boarding.

It appears the first few paragraphs are missing on the know before you go or Rick (a trustworthy CC member) was lied to on his HAL contract from his TA.

Interesting! 

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

And  that  is  why  my  nagging/motivational  abilities  produced  good  results! I  often  spent  the  whole  day  convincing  others  to  do  things  they  did  not  want  to  do.😍😍

No one had to nag or motivate me.  My PT wished she could tape me.  I just wanted to know what I had to do and how to do it.

I went on our Hawaii, Tahiti, Marquesas cruise with the blessings of my surgeon and PT on the condition I used the hydrotherapy pool for one set of exercise.  (I did 3 sets a day) and I had the schedule when I could upgrade the exercises.

I walked on the ship with my arm in a sling from a complicated elbow surgery.  Had already stared Pt and walked off 30 days later using that arm to tote my luggage 👍 

Physio therapy is no fun but the more you can move. The more you can walk up the muscle and nerves -the better your chances of regaining mobility.

I owe my continued planting and lifting to my surgeon and PT work.  I was told I would lose 15 - 25% mobility after my surgery.  PT pays off.  I lost less than 5%.  I’m not saying that the elbow never hurts but I can do everything I did before and for that I am eternally grateful ♥️ 

Long post -but the message is listen to you PT, and do the exercises.  Short term pain for very long term gain.

• Like 17

2 hours ago, kazu said:

I didn’t need PT based on where it was broken. (5th metacarpal). I was still working when it happened and typed continuously. I thought I was going to have to take a lot of time off work but my doctor encouraged me to keep working and even made sure my cast and brace were made to keep my fingers free, I just learned how to not use my little finger.  I’m sure that is what made the difference. 

• Like 8

Thanks for all the daily information, photos and humour.

Sad to read of the cancelled cruises, lots of re-organising for those affected.

Best wishes to all with health problems.

Sunny day, 11 C expected.

The number of covid cases in Fiji continues rising.

Take care everyone.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

The headline of an article in the local newspsper   this morning, states "Do not expect cruise ships until 2022,  tourism sector  told"., at a meeting  with the local tourism industry, to discuss the possible  return of the cruise industry and how it may look in the furure.

The chief executive of the NZ Cruise Association said it was "most likely" cruise ships would not return to Dunedin or New Zealand generally until late 2022.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 7

49 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

I didn’t need PT based on where it was broken. (5th metacarpal). I was still working when it happened and typed continuously. I thought I was going to have to take a lot of time off work but my doctor encouraged me to keep working and even made sure my cast and brace were made to keep my fingers free, I just learned how to not use my little finger.  I’m sure that is what made the difference. 

Typing is really good as it sends messages to the nerves and muscles.

I thought the 5th was the little toe connection in the foot?  I know as I broke that too but I assume it’s also your baby finger.  You learn something new every day.

If it’s your little finger that’s broken, you are going to need to exercise it at some stage and use some method of PT to slowly bring it back to working order.  You can’t leave something unused and expect it to work as it used to.

You can see it in some of my typos on the boards as my last 2 fingers have even slightly affected by the elbow.  Small price and I try to watch but I slip up 😉 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, kazu said:

Typing is really good as it sends messages to the nerves and muscles.

I thought the 5th was the little toe connection in the foot?  I know as I broke that too but I assume it’s also your baby finger.  You learn something new every day.

If it’s your little finger that’s broken, you are going to need to exercise it at some stage and use some method of PT to slowly bring it back to working order.  You can’t leave something unused and expect it to work as it used to.

You can see it in some of my typos on the boards as my last 2 fingers have even slightly affected by the elbow.  Small price and I try to watch but I slip up 😉 

I think those are the metatarsals. The hand is:

https://www.google.com/search?q=metacarpal&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari

It is actually in the palm of the hand, the littlest finger. However, this was 3 years ago and while it still bothers me occasionally, it’s not a big deal. My arthritis bothers me more. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1