Two Test Positive On Millenium

morfred

9 minutes ago, cscurlock said:

I can only image an RC oasis class ship running with 9000 passengers and not everyone vaccinated.  This is like the beginning and its a vaccinated ship with 600 guests.  Scratching my head right now.

When you put it that way! 🤔

2 hours ago, s0479 said:

Don’t know if that is true- can have no symptoms and still expose someone else.  Also US requires test to come back so had to test.

so far the data says that while vaccinated people can test positive for the virus, they don't have enough actual viable virus to spread to anyone else...  very different from asymptomatic unvaccinated people.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, cantstopingcruising said:

As I understand it, if a fully vaccinated person is asymptomatic, they ARE contagious. 

it's actually the opposite, I am currently in the Pfizer trial, at this point, we are only tested if we are symptomatic...even when I was directly exposed to an office full of Covid positive coworkers (some who got very sick) I wasn't tested in the trial, because so far the evidence says vaccinated asymptomatic people may test motive for the virus, but they don't have the disease, & don't have enough viral load to pass it on 🙂

• Like 17

13 minutes ago, cruise kitty said:

so far the data says that while vaccinated people can test positive for the virus, they don't have enough actual viable virus to spread to anyone else...  very different from asymptomatic unvaccinated people.

While data shows that the amount of virus shed is reduced by 75 to 80%. There is not an established measure of how much virus is needed for transmission.

One of the best studies on the subject looking at actual transmission was in the UK looking a Pfizer and AZ vaccines. That study looked at several thousand households and looked at transmission inside of the household. Comparing when the initial infection was from  a vaccinated individual vs an unvaccinated individual. What they found was that transmission still occured though vaccination reduced it by 40 to 50 percent.

So based upon that large study it is pretty clear that transmission can and will occur from some vaccinated infected individuals, though the amount of transmission is reduced by 40 to 50%

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, drarill said:

drarill.......was this in the email you received from RCCL?  Originally, we were told no private tours and then received word that we could utilize private tours.  Your post below is new information to me and I cannot locate it on the Celebrity website.  Appreciate any additional information you can provide me.......thanks

IMG_C6C3CF57D1C8-1.jpeg

8 minutes ago, cruise kitty said:

it's actually the opposite, I am currently in the Pfizer trial, at this point, we are only tested if we are symptomatic...even when I was directly exposed to an office full of Covid positive coworkers (some who got very sick) I wasn't tested in the trial, because so far the evidence says vaccinated asymptomatic people may test motive for the virus, but they don't have the disease, & don't have enough viral load to pass it on 🙂

The Pfizer protocol is to only test symptomatic individuals because they did not have a cost effective method for checking for asymptomatic illness at the time the trial was established.

Which is also why when the vaccine was first released they did not know if it prevented asymptomatic disease. That question was answered by other studies after the EUAs were approved.

The first of which was a large study of vaccinated health care workers in Israel.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChutChut said:

Ship was FULLY vaccinated.

Correction:  It's supposed to be fully vaccinated, assuming everyone was honest in saying that they were vaccinated.

Edited by K.T.B.
  • Like 5

36 minutes ago, cantstopingcruising said:

As I understand it, if a fully vaccinated person is asymptomatic, they ARE contagious. 

Incorrect.  Fully vaccinated people are less likely to have asymptomatic infection or transmit Covid.

LINK

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Dwight1 said:

The article said the two positive passengers have not had their vaccination details reviewed. As such we don’t know yet what vaccine they had or if the data supplied was legitimate.

That is my thought too. and I wonder where they are from? This is why the US needs to have a QR based digital database like Germany just rolled out. Too many people know how to use photoshop...

Edited by jfaaborg
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, cscurlock said:

I can only image an RC oasis class ship running with 9000 passengers and not everyone vaccinated.  This is like the beginning and its a vaccinated ship with 600 guests.  Scratching my head right now.

I’m sailing on one in Sept...I suspect I’ll make it. 

• Like 4

Just now, PTC DAWG said:

I just don’t see that big of a deal...but EVERYBODY PANIC

Agreed.  It's 0.33% of the passengers on a ship where everyone is supposed to be vaccinated.

1 hour ago, ChutChut said:

Ship was FULLY vaccinated.

"About 500 passengers are on board, over 95% who are fully vaccinated, according to previous CNN reporting. Children who could not yet receive vaccinations were required to show negative Covid-19 tests."

Cruise ship Covid-19: Two passengers on Celebrity Millennium test positive for coronavirus | CNN Travel

11 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

My best guess is these are false positive results. Antigen have terrible rates of false positive. I’m waiting Until a second test is complete. 

As said earlier, the only two who tested positive (so far) were in the same cabin which unfortunately significantly decreases the odds of a false positive 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

My best guess is these are false positive results. Antigen have terrible rates of false positive. I’m waiting Until a second test is complete. 

Two in the same cabin seems a little suspect.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

As said earlier, the only two who tested positive (so far) were in the same cabin which unfortunately significantly decreases the odds of a false positive 

That does makes sense (I missed what you said, sorry)…..

Is it possible there was something wrong with the testing equipment? With the rate of false positive antigen tests I am still hopeful a pcr will be done so we can definitively rule out false positive 

14 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

"About 500 passengers are on board, over 95% who are fully vaccinated, according to previous CNN reporting. Children who could not yet receive vaccinations were required to show negative Covid-19 tests."

Cruise ship Covid-19: Two passengers on Celebrity Millennium test positive for coronavirus | CNN Travel

Celebrity’s press release says “Celebrity Millennium is sailing with fully vaccinated crew and guests” but the previous CNN article on June 7 also said “About 500 passengers are on board, over 95% who are fully vaccinated. Children who could not yet receive vaccinations were required to show negative Covid-19 tests.”

https://presscenter.rclcorporate.com/press-release/143/celebrity-millennium-update/

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/first-cruise-ship-sail-celebrity-millennium-caribbean-trnd/index.html

I would expect clarification soon on this.

Edited by syesmar

1 hour ago, nocl said:

The Pfizer protocol is to only test symptomatic individuals because they did not have a cost effective method for checking for asymptomatic illness at the time the trial was established.

Which is also why when the vaccine was first released they did not know if it prevented asymptomatic disease. That question was answered by other studies after the EUAs were approved.

The first of which was a large study of vaccinated health care workers in Israel.

thank you for your explanation 🙂  

Edited by cruise kitty

22 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Agreed.  I have a feeling when they do their tests in St. Martin that they will quickly turn negative if not immediate then within a few days. 

32 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

I just don’t see that big of a deal...but EVERYBODY PANIC

If it was two positives and that was the end, it wouldn’t be a huge deal…This is now developing situation, many more pax/crew members and port of call locals may have been exposed and may later test positive…Furthermore, ports/countries may demand ship run excursions “bubbles”, no un-vaxed children, etc

Edited by NutsAboutGolf
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, syesmar said:

Celebrity’s press release says “Celebrity Millennium is sailing with fully vaccinated crew and guests” but the previous CNN article on June 7 said “About 500 passengers are on board, over 95% who are fully vaccinated. Children who could not yet receive vaccinations were required to show negative Covid-19 tests.”

https://presscenter.rclcorporate.com/press-release/143/celebrity-millennium-update/

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/first-cruise-ship-sail-celebrity-millennium-caribbean-trnd/index.html

I would expect clarification soon on this.

I follow the TA who is posting live from onboard. He has his daughter with him - she is too young to be vaccinated. He even mentioned it in one of his videos.

• Like 1