Two Test Positive On Millenium

morfred

6 hours ago, kearney said:

Two people in the same cabin, theoretically been vaccinated....test positive... I wonder if they actually were vaccinated. 

My thought as well!

I am perfectly aware of the possibility of a breakthrough infection. However, it is very rare. So two breakthroughs in one cabin?!

Even if one on them had an infection despite a vaccination, the chance of infecting the other (also vaccinated !) person seems more than unlikely. 

I am not surprised to see a case on a cruise. I am also not worried about it - because that’s exactly why all the precautions and procedures are in place. Detecting cases proves they work. However, this situation is kind of fishy…

• Like 6

2 hours ago, CoatRackOfDoom said:

Millie was maskless on board, masked on excursions. MSC is currently requiring masks indoors or in crowded settings unless eating or drinking, according to youtube videos I've watched (Virtuosa).

in Europe there is no difference between vaccinated or unvaccinated - it is masks for everyone.

We have done such a cruise and felt much safer than we would feel on Millennium without masks. We have gotten so used to masks that we don’t see them as a problem.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, syesmar said:

Celebrity’s press release says “Celebrity Millennium is sailing with fully vaccinated crew and guests” but the previous CNN article on June 7 also said “About 500 passengers are on board, over 95% who are fully vaccinated. Children who could not yet receive vaccinations were required to show negative Covid-19 tests.”

https://presscenter.rclcorporate.com/press-release/143/celebrity-millennium-update/

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/first-cruise-ship-sail-celebrity-millennium-caribbean-trnd/index.html

I would expect clarification soon on this.

It is well known that the requirement is 95 %. However, they are allowed to call it “fully vaccinated” - it can be misleading.

2 hours ago, Antropos said:

Although this is not good news, of course, I don't think anybody should be suprised of this outcome. False positives and fakes vaccination cards aside, the current vaccinations make sure you don't develop severe illness. But you can still  attract the virus and when you do your body is strong enough to fight it off and you won't actually get sick. But when you have 600 vaccinated people and you "drop them" onto an island where the number of Covid-cases is rising then some of those 600 will test positive afterwards. That in itself is not problematic, though, because those infected people will not get sick (rare cases aside) and the chance of them passing the virus on the others seem to be very, very low (altough tests on this have not been as extensive yet). 

But because it's now in the media a lot of people are already screaming "See! Told you so, bad idea". I wouldn't be suprised if this is going to slow down the restart of the industry.

We were on a cruise with TUI last Oktober in Greece and had FALSE positive cases on board. The situation on board was relaxed and quiet. Retesting happened (TUI have PCR machines on board) and Greek authorities confirmed and cleared the ship (I reported live from the cruise here on CC).

As mentioned the situation on our ship was under control and calm… but boy did the media and social media jump on it. They reported the ship being quarantined - which we read on board while having a cocktail - and basically made it look like every passenger on board was in the ICU already. While all it turned out to be was a screw up in a lab on Crete…

Some perspective: TUI have been sailing for over a year now. Long before anyone was vaccinated! With strict but totally bearable policies. Regulations which weren’t alien to anyone in Europe. Regulations which we as passengers accepted and welcomed.

They had over 100,000 passengers and only 12 cases - detected and isolated. Just as a reminder: at a time were noone was vaccinated. If one can’t accept that risk, comparing it to the risk in everyday situations… oh boy 😂

Edited by Miaminice
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Miaminice said:

We were on a cruise with TUI last Oktober in Greece and had FALSE positive cases on board. The situation on board was relaxed and quiet. Retesting happened (TUI have PCR machines on board) and Greek authorities confirmed and cleared the ship (I reported live from the cruise here on CC).

As mentioned the situation on our ship was under control and calm… but boy did the media and social media jump on it. They reported the ship being quarantined - which we read on board while having a cocktail - and basically made it look like every passenger on board was in the ICU already. While all it was a screw up in a lab on Crete…

Some perspective: TUI have been sailing for over a year now. Long before anyone was vaccinated! With strict but totally bearable policies. Regulations which weren’t alien to anyone in Europe. 
They had over 100,000 passengers and only 12 cases - detected and isolated. Just as a reminder: at a time were noone was vaccinated. If one can’t accept that risk, comparing it to the risk in everyday situations… oh boy 😂

Yes ... statistics have shown most C19 comes from "community spread", meaning family, friends, neighbors ... not from vaccinated and C19 test proven passengers.

9 hours ago, tert333 said:

Even in the UK where they have such a high vaccination rate, the Delta variation is surging in areas,

But, those who have been admitted to hospital are young people, who haven’t yet been vaccinated.

We have just started giving first vaccinations to the 25-30 age group and of course it’s the young adults who want to get out.

We are hoping to get all adults offered the 1st dose of the vaccine by the end of July.

1 hour ago, Miaminice said:

in Europe there is no difference between vaccinated or unvaccinated - it is masks for everyone.

We have done such a cruise and felt much safer than we would feel on Millennium without masks. We have gotten so used to masks that we don’t see them as a problem.

Vaccinated people wearing masks is not necessary. If you would like to  wear one that is up to you, of course. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Fredric22 said:

Exactly. No one seems to understand how this works... sometimes I feel like banging my head against the wall. 

Ha Welcome to my world, plus just enough details to be confusing - best to let it go...although I can't seem to

• Like 3

1 minute ago, stinkyenglishteacher said:

News outlets are reporting 95/5. 

cruise line as well. The regulation of 95% is what they call FULLY vaccinated.

There are 8 kids on board who can’t be vaccinated… I am fine with that, but it says something about the terminology.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Fredric22 said:

Vaccinated people wearing masks is not necessary. If you would like to  wear one that is up to you, of course. 

It's actually up to the country/cruise line whose hospitality you are enjoying.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Online yesterday I saw 2 articles on this side by side.  The first, from Reuters, said it was a Royal Caribbean ship and used a picture of a RCL ship.  The second, from USA Today, at least had it on X and a picture of the right ship.  Both articles were full of errors and leaned toward sensationalism.  Unfortunately, that seems to be the norm.  I guess it's too much to expect the media to actually use someone with knowledge of the industry to write these stories.

• Like 4

Hope this is a wake up call to Florida's governor.  If these people hadn't been vaccinated, perhaps they would have had full blown Covid and many people would have gotten covid and perhaps died.  The ship would be quarantined also for who knows how long. 

Because of the stringent guidelines Celebrity has taken, the two guests were positive but asymptomatic.  I will wait before we go on our next cruise out of Florida.  We are scheduled for 2022, let's see what happens.

• Like 6

Perhaps I'm not understanding correctly but I think the incubation period for COVID-19 can be up to 14 days and during that period the subject may still test negative?  Most of the comments I've seen assume they were infected on board.  But that may not be the case.  Celebrity, of course, has to react as though it was from someone on board.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fredric22 said:

Because they are testing all guests, there will most likely be more of these "breakthrough cases" than we would find in the real world. 

Yeah, if you test enough vaccinated people enough times, you’re going to get positive asymptomatic cases. The cruise lines need to be pushing for fully vaccinated (really fully vaccinated) cruises and less testing or these kind of largely insignificant events are going to continue to happen and then be blown all out of proportion by the media.   

• Like 6

Can everyone stop the absurd speculation that these people weren’t vaccinated? I’m pretty horrified reading through this thread that people would instantly flip on some fellow passengers that were eager enough to cruise that they got on the first available one. It’s all incredibly cruel. Breakthrough cases do happen. The reason you think it is so rare is that the overwhelming majority of breakthrough cases for vaccinated people are asymptotic, so they would never have been tested in the first place. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, kearney said:

Interesting to compare protocols... when the golfer Rahm tested positive...they did not test the golfers he was with because they had been vaccinated... they also did not isolate.

What struck me about the Rahm situation is that officials knew he had tested positive but still let him finish his third round.  Furthermore, they walked him through groups of people once he was notified.  If this was such a dangerous situation then send a vehicle to wherever Rahm was in the round, pick up him and his caddie and take them off the course using an unpopulated route.  Instead I got the impression that The Tour was just being pro forma.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, marieps said:

This has been bugging me for a while.  If I test positive but am asymptomatic, would it not be more proper to label my condition SARS-CoV-2 positive rather than COVID positive?  Just like the millions who've been HIV positive, but not suffering from AIDS.  The D in COVID stands for disease.  If I'm not sick, yet positive, where's the disease?  Please don't flame me....just asking.

It’s worse than that....if it’s a nasal swab, all it means is that a coronavirus was found in your nasal mucosa.  That’s it....and false positives abound.  Presence doesn’t mean you have been infected with anything.  Imagine wiping down your skin or testing your guts....you’d discover all kinds of potentially dangerous viruses/bacteria.  But there’s no talking common sense with the Kovid Koolaid brigade.   This is why you’re still required to wear that ridiculous and pointless mask everywhere.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, cltnccruisers said:

What struck me about the Rahm situation is that officials knew he had tested positive but still let him finish his third round.  Furthermore, they walked him through groups of people once he was notified.  If this was such a dangerous situation then send a vehicle to wherever Rahm was in the round, pick up him and his caddie and take them off the course using an unpopulated route.  Instead I got the impression that The Tour was just being pro forma.

I do wonder about false positives. Royal just announced that on their AOS sailings out of Bahamas (which we have booked) that they will be testing all passengers..even vaccinated ones before boarding. This is more conservative than what I have seen in some CDC guidance... and fine...except that if there is a relatively high likelihood of false positives...how would you feel being vaccinated and finding out in the Bahamas that you are testing positive.  What do they do if you get yourself tested before leaving home...and your results conflict with their results??

2 minutes ago, medtech71 said:

It’s worse than that....if it’s a nasal swab, all it means is that a coronavirus was found in your nasal mucosa.  That’s it....and false positives abound.  Presence doesn’t mean you have been infected with anything.  Imagine wiping down your skin or testing your guts....you’d discover all kinds of potentially dangerous viruses/bacteria.  But there’s no talking common sense with the Kovid Koolaid brigade.   This is why you’re still required to wear that ridiculous and pointless mask everywhere.

So why not have the subject blow his nose then retest?  That might be a bit simplistic, I suppose.