Bringing onboard wine for cabin?

barbatkins

5 minutes ago, barbatkins said:

It’s been a long time ...... does Celebrity still allow a bottle of wine per person brought on in carryon....

for cabin consumption?

I’m on the July 17 sailing of Edge....thanks

Yes - only at your embarkation port.  And if it is a great wine that you brought along to have with dinner, then you can pay a corking fee - believe it is still $25.

Edited by NantahalaCruiser

17 minutes ago, bikerunner said:

But if you and person traveling  go on at different times how will they know each has 2 for the state room.  Never seen it logged and I did 2 times that way bringing wine on.  

I am not suggesting you subvert the rules....but I can give you my experience having been on over 10 celebrity cruises around the world. We are well into retirement (how's that for concealing our ages) so perhaps we don't represent a threat of some drunken partying...someone in their teens or 20's might have a very different experience.

You are correct,  they don't record it...it's essentially the honor system.  Each can take 2 bottles on for the cabin without being bothered as long as you board a little separately.  At the risk of being called to the naughty room, you can probably bring two bottles in your luggage as well.....if there's a problem you'll have two bottles waiting for you in your room on the last night. 

We occasionally buy wine/liquor at port stops to take home and I just carry it on board, put it through the xray machine.  I've only been asked once to check the 2 bottles I had purchased....the security guard at the xray machine asked me to go to the table behind him and leave it with Celebrity security....I said sure (I didn't want the bottles on the ship...I was just trying to get them home).  I took my stuff off the xray machine and turned to go to the table.  There was no table behind the guard..in fact there was no table anywhere....so I just took the bottles to my cabin.

Finally, if you are on a back to back....you can take four bottles on board on the first cruise and check two of them with security.  Those two bottles will be returned to you for packing at the end of your first cruise....and you'll just have to store them in your room for the second cruise :).

Edited by ghstudio
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, ghstudio said:

We occasionally buy wine/liquor at port stops to take home and I just carry it on board, put it through the xray machine.  I've only been asked once to check the 2 bottles I had purchased....the security guard at the xray machine asked me to go to the table behind him and leave it with Celebrity security....I said sure (I didn't want the bottles on the ship...I was just trying to get them home).  I took my stuff off the xray machine and turned to go to the table.  There was no table behind the guard..in fact there was no table anywhere....so I just took the bottles to my cabin.

This has been our experience also. We even had a bottle of Crown that we boarded with in Alaska and they directed us to the table that was not there.

3 hours ago, barbatkins said:

It’s been a long time ...... does Celebrity still allow a bottle of wine per person brought on in carryon....

for cabin consumption?

I’m on the July 17 sailing of Edge....thanks

Two 750 ml bottles per stateroom. You can pour a glass in your stateroom and take it with you to enjoy at other locations on the ship. 🍷

• Like 1

16 hours ago, davekathy said:

Two 750 ml bottles per stateroom. You can pour a glass in your stateroom and take it with you to enjoy at other locations on the ship. 🍷

I think the 2 bottle limit is ridiculous, never mind the $25 corkage fee.  I agree just open it in your room, pour into a to go cup…FWIW Oceania sets up each stateroom with 6 bottles of your choice of wine and or spirits, also no limit to how many you can bring on board.

---"FWIW Oceania sets up each stateroom with 6 bottles of your choice of wine and or spirits, also no limit to how many you can bring on board."

FYI, above is misleading , 6-bottle set up is ONLY for higher level (expensive) Suites

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, LGW59 said:

I think the 2 bottle limit is ridiculous, never mind the $25 corkage fee.  I agree just open it in your room, pour into a to go cup…FWIW Oceania sets up each stateroom with 6 bottles of your choice of wine and or spirits, also no limit to how many you can bring on board.

We stopped bringing wine onboard when the CBP and PBPs were introduced and going to the CC HH. And now with the CBP as one of the new AI, no biggie. We always found a wine we like with the CBP. I can remember when Celebrity didn't allow brining wine onboard. Cheers. 🍷

Edited by davekathy

First couple of cruise they seemed fairly strict making you check stuff in if brought on board during the cruise, then drinks packages became the norm....and it them seemed to become considerably more relaxed. 

Wine drunk in your cabin from a bottle you bring on board is a drink you pay for and they don't have to give you for free (if your on a drinks package - also saves them the costs if staffing a table to collect and record, store booze and then return it.

We’ve bought special wines at various EURO ports and took them home. But on our three B2B TA crossings, after the initial itinerary, they gave us our wines and we had them for the crossing.

But to tell you the truth, I don’t really finish those babies off. end up enjoying the wines onboard, especially now with the AI. 

As to the corkage fees, never had an issue with those. Our waitstaff just uncorked them and no issue. 

Den

2 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

We’ve bought special wines at various EURO ports and took them home. But on our three B2B TA crossings, after the initial itinerary, they gave us our wines and we had them for the crossing.

But to tell you the truth, I don’t really finish those babies off. end up enjoying the wines onboard, especially now with the AI. 

As to the corkage fees, never had an issue with those. Our waitstaff just uncorked them and no issue. 

Den

No problem here either, I just bring my own corkscrew to Luminae, problem solved, and I save $25 bucks

8 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

No problem here either, I just bring my own corkscrew to Luminae, problem solved, and I save $25 bucks

Celebrity has the right to charge you the $25.00 corkage fee for bringing your bottle of wine (opened or not) into the dining venue. 

1 minute ago, davekathy said:

Celebrity has the right to charge you the $25.00 corkage fee for bringing your bottle of wine (opened or not) into the dining venue. 

I was joking…

Just now, LGW59 said:

I was joking…

Not knowing you I wouldn't know that from your post. I wouldn't doubt some believe the corkage fee only applies when your dining staff opens your bottle of wine you brought onboard and into the different dining venues. Whether or not the corkage fee is actually charged, I have no personal experiences. 

I just LOVE LOVE LOVE this thread!! Back to discussion ways of sneaking booze on; tell jokes we don’t get; helping each of us to drink more than we ever should; brining your own wine when the wine is included….do I get to tell a joke about coals and Newcastle or does someone explain that they don’t drink that cheap stuff I guzzle and they bring their own personal wines front their own vineyard!!

And if Anyone says Anything about ‘can I catch the Plague’ if someone else uncorks my wine, I’ll go crazy…..that’s why LGW59 carries his own corkscrew by the way!!

Den

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

I just LOVE LOVE LOVE this thread!! Back to discussion ways of sneaking booze on; tell jokes we don’t get; helping each of us to drink more than we ever should; brining your own wine when the wine is included….do I get to tell a joke about coals and Newcastle or does someone explain that they don’t drink that cheap stuff I guzzle and they bring their own personal wines front their own vineyard!!

And if Anyone says Anything about ‘can I catch the Plague’ if someone else uncorks my wine, I’ll go crazy…..that’s why LGW59 carries his own corkscrew by the way!!

Den

Den, my “corkscrew “ has never failed me, even at my age, that’s why I take it with me wherever I go.  Oh wait, there was that one time or was it two or three…

Edited by LGW59

2 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Den, my “corkscrew “ has never failed me, even at my age, that’s why I take it with me wherever I go.  Oh wait, there was that one time or was it two or three…

I’m Not touching that line!! You and I would be banned from CC for months!

Den

2 hours ago, davekathy said:

We brought a very nice bottle into Luminae one night the sommelier asked if he could taste it which we allowed was not charged corkage . Need to figure out which bottles we will take in 16 days. Funny rccl had a 18 corkage charge but very rarely charged us.

• Like 1