Starting the day right...with Breakfast

gcorgain

Just chipping in with a drink related question….

Is there a kettle in the room? We like a morning cuppa in bed. I know I could get room service for that, but it is easier to diy some days.

Thanks for any info, my first cruise on Splendour is next year….

Libby

1 hour ago, wishIweretravelling said:

Get your TA to ask them to have it for your cruise.  They can't always comply with special requests--it depends on whether the item is available where they happen to be taking on stocks for your cruise--but if they can, they will.  

Or just bring an unopened jar yourself. Give it to your waiter the first day.  They will keep it for you and bring it to you as needed. 

Yes, Regents has fabulous lunch, but when at lunch in LaVeranda take a look around for someone who has ordered a hotdog.  Yes, a hotdog.  You order them outside at the grill, give them your table number and head back to your table.  Your hotdog will be delivered.  It seems this is a very popular lunch item.  You can get it fixed with all your favorites.  DH will get a hotdog at least once a cruise.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kristal Blade said:

Just chipping in with a drink related question….

Is there a kettle in the room? We like a morning cuppa in bed. I know I could get room service for that, but it is easier to diy some days.

Thanks for any info, my first cruise on Splendour is next year….

Libby

As far as I am aware there are no kettles in any of the suites, or at least never in any of the suites we have been in. You have to use room service. Just think of Regent like Claridges at sea.

Room service is speedy but ask for extra tea bags if you like your brew strong. 

16 minutes ago, honumaui said:

On the Voyager there was an Espresso maker in concierge level.

Yes, there were Illy coffee machines in the suites but if you prefer tea you have to resort to room service. Actually it’s no bother anyway. 

1 hour ago, Guerncruising said:

Yes, there were Illy coffee machines in the suites but if you prefer tea you have to resort to room service. Actually it’s no bother anyway. 

Thank you for your replies,

It is definitely tea we will be having. 
I'm looking forward to Claridges at sea now!

21 hours ago, Kwaj girl said:

.Prime 7 and Chartreuse alternate being open for lunch.  Nice and quiet with some lovely items, though I think the relatively small menu is the same each day. 

They have a basic menu with specials each day for lunch.

3 hours ago, Guerncruising said:

As far as I am aware there are no kettles in any of the suites, or at least never in any of the suites we have been in. You have to use room service. Just think of Regent like Claridges at sea.

Room service is speedy but ask for extra tea bags if you like your brew strong. 

I thought I saw (some time back) one of our British CC'ers mention that s/he had requested and gotten a kettle in her cabin.

1 hour ago, wishIweretravelling said:

I thought I saw (some time back) one of our British CC'ers mention that s/he had requested and gotten a kettle in her cabin.

Yes and that maybe so. It’s getting decent tea that’s the problem. Yorkshire tea bags and two of them for me. I do like a good brew. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Guerncruising said:

Yes and that maybe so. It’s getting decent tea that’s the problem. Yorkshire tea bags and two of them for me. I do like a good brew. 

If you have a Nespresso in your suite, you can flush it out a few times first then use it to generate hot water.  You still will need good tea bags.  I recommend bringing on ones you like.

Try this:  Have Breakfast in Compass Rose and ask for the ‘Chief’s Signature Omelette’.   I’ve never had a bad experience.  Half the time it’s a protein [ham, sausage, etc.] and veggie super-stocked omelette, but other times I’ve received a special omelette with seafood or Mediterranean elements or even a Korean spiced omelette with steak, kimchee and sprouts. [The chef must have worked Pacfic Rim the night before].  It was unusual for me but enjoyable as a change from the normal.

11 hours ago, Guerncruising said:

11 hours ago, Ladys Mom said:

If you have a Nespresso in your suite, you can flush it out a few times first then use it to generate hot water.  You still will need good tea bags.  I recommend bringing on ones you like.

I will bring my own tea bags, Guerncruising. I like Twinings green tea.

Flushing out the Nespresso probably won’t get rid of the coffee taint, Lady’s Mom. I never drink coffee, hate the smell and my green tea is so wishy washy (if you know what I mean) that I think it wouldn’t taste right.

13 hours ago, wishIweretravelling said:

I will definitely request a kettle, wishiweretravelling.  I have done that before. Last time was on Azamara Quest, with success, in spite of them trying to tell me no cruise ships allowed kettles in cabins! When I told them I had a kettle from P&O, Princess and Celebrity they kind of had no legs to stand on.

Here’s to the cup that cheers!

1 hour ago, Kristal Blade said:

I like Twinings green tea.

Regent offer a variety of Twinings tea bags, but cannot be certain about green tea.

1 hour ago, Kristal Blade said:

I will definitely request a kettle

I have not heard of Regent supplying a kettle for use in the suites.

Suggest that for both the green tea & kettle you put in a request to Guest Services a few months in advance of your cruise

• Like 1

4 hours ago, flossie009 said:

Regent offer a variety of Twinings tea bags, but cannot be certain about green tea.

I have not heard of Regent supplying a kettle for use in the suites.

Suggest that for both the green tea & kettle you put in a request to Guest Services a few months in advance of your cruise

Thank you Flossie,

my cruise is over a year away….

I will need to set a reminder for a year from now!

• Like 1

On 6/17/2021 at 5:04 PM, Onkel_Ken said:

Greg,

La Veranda has a menu on line for Breakfast.

La Veranda Regional Specialties | Fine Dining | Regent Seven Seas Cruises (rssc.com)

Looks pretty good to me! 🙂

I always order coffee & pastry to the room at about 7.

That is to tide me over util breakfast    :O)

I love LaVeranda. You can get what ever you want & then order from the egg station & they will deliver to your table.

Although not listed on this menu , they have always offered crepes.

Have you ever had a cronut ??? Fairly ugly doughnut with the absolute best custard inside.

Everyday they change the topping. Could be chocolate, maple, coconut etc......a must ! 

3 minutes ago, Shippy said:

I always order coffee & pastry to the room at about 7.

That is to tide me over util breakfast    :O)

I love LaVeranda. You can get what ever you want & then order from the egg station & they will deliver to your table.

Although not listed on this menu , they have always offered crepes.

Have you ever had a cronut ??? Fairly ugly doughnut with the absolute best custard inside.

Everyday they change the topping. Could be chocolate, maple, coconut etc......a must ! 

Hmmm....."cronut".... heart attack on a plate?  😄

Though not on the menu, one of the items offered in both LA Veranda and Compass Rose is Swiss Muesli (hope I spelled it correctly).  I enjoy this as a special treat, I have not found it in the US.  And it is nothing that comes from a cereal box.  It is usually found near the fresh fruit and yogurt. Try it when you finally get to be on a cruise.

We are exclusively room service breakfast people.  The room service breakfast on our last Regent cruise (Mariner) was excellent across the board.   Our breakfast was always on time, hot (if applicable), delicious and the service superb, the best on the ship.  They forgot my wife's jelly one day so the waiter called down and not exaggerating her jelly was there in 3 minutes.  There is a wide variety of breakfast selections, the coffee is just ok.

We had lunch primarily at the Pool Grill & Compass Rose.  Pool Grill food (burgers, hot dogs etc) was very good.  Service was slow and not very friendly.  Wine/Drink service was excellent.  The buffet (Salad bar) was  poor, an embarrassment. 

Compass rose started the first 3-4 days with the traditional regent lunch menu (Crogue-Monsieur, burgers, fish) and was very good.  The menu then completely changed and the food was horrible.  My wife ordered the duck one day , they brought her a 1/2 duck with nothing else not even a garnish.  She said she thought it was warmed from the day before.   I had Corvina (fish) it was fishy and terrible, near not edible.   The service was prompt and very matter of fact.  Wine service was also excellent.

On 6/17/2021 at 8:17 PM, wishIweretravelling said:

The regular pouring coffee in the restaurants is swill. I always ask for Cafe Americano (I like my coffee black--you can also ask for something like a latte). It takes a little longer to get (and to get refills), but is worth it.  You can get these in either dining room or the Coffee Connection

So, if we order coffee from Room Service, will it be the "regular pouring coffee"?  Or can you special order a Cafe Americano or a latte from Room Service?  Or do I need to visit the Coffee Connection and carry them back to the stateroom?  (Ah, to have the luxury of such "problems"!)

Many thanks,

18 hours ago, loriva said:

So, if we order coffee from Room Service, will it be the "regular pouring coffee"?  Or can you special order a Cafe Americano or a latte from Room Service?  Or do I need to visit the Coffee Connection and carry them back to the stateroom?  (Ah, to have the luxury of such "problems"!)

Many thanks,

It is the regular pouring coffee from room service. I've never tried getting a Cafe Americano from them. I did try, when on Explorer, to get a french press from room service, and was told that they couldn't do that, since only the Coffee Connection had them. But there are multiple places on the ship to get an Americano, so you might be able to get it there.  It's not on the pre-printed door hanger menu, but I've often written requests in on that menu and received them (or received a call telling me they didn't have it and suggesting a close alternative).

• Thanks 1

On 6/20/2021 at 10:44 AM, Shippy said:

I still daydream about those cronuts (though I didn't realize they had a name!).  They were amazing.

21 hours ago, loriva said:

Many thanks,

My husband and I love latte in the morning.  In fact, we have a machine that he uses to make them for us. When we are on Regent, every morning that we have room service breakfast our room steward brings us hot lattes.  We just put it on the breakfast menu the night before.  Sometimes we even ask for two each, because they do get busy in the morning.  We use our room service phone call (they do call when they are ready to deliver) as our wake-up call.  It works extremely we when we have early shore excursions.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, califsealion said:

I still daydream about those cronuts (though I didn't realize they had a name!).  They were amazing.

OMG, the cronuts! I was halfway through a grand voyage, and doing fine on controlling treats, before I discovered the cronuts. A cross between a croissant and a donut (hence the name), it's heaven (and a heart attack) on a plate. I did scrape off most of the icing--they do use too heavy a hand on that, to the extent that the extreme sweetness can mask the wonderful flavor and texture of the rest of the pastry--but what remained was delicious. 

BTW, the reason I use the term "pouring coffee" is that, in the morning, waiters wander the main dining room and the buffet venue with pitchers of coffee to fill and refill cups.  Unless they are having an off day, someone will be at your table within a minute of your sitting down to offer you coffee, water, and juice.

Edited by wishIweretravelling
  • Like 1