Ocean Medallion App - Part 3

margord

4 hours ago, pompeii said:

For anyone like me who doesn't like the Journeyview Activity interface on the app to try and keep track of the ship's schedule of activities, you can find the old "patter-style" list version by typing in shipname.princess.com and it will bring up a list that is much easier to read.  Replace shipname with your vessel's name, ie mine was grand.princess.com.  

I didn't find this out until halfway through my latest cruise, when I stopped by the Ocean Medallion desk to complain that my Activities timeline wouldn't load.  The guy said let me show you something much easier, and put a shortcut to that site on my home screen.  Much much better!!

I could not get it for 5 weeks on my iphone.  Just used the patter.  It finally worked on the 6th and final week.  Lol

I did not like it either, ti much scrolling involved.  Thanks for the tip!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tedferg said:

Regarding having to click 'Select' after Inputting / Saving credit card details. I now think it allows you to add multiple cards and SELECT which one to use. That is what confused me, since I had entered and saved card details, I thought I was finished but the screen stayed visible with the 'Add Card' button. I wonder if it is a 'feature' to allow DH and DW to insert cards and chose which card between profiles.

A well thought out system would not have the Select button if only one card is registered. Just another reflection on the skill set of the developers/designers.

Edited by brisalta

1 hour ago, AF-1 said:

Do you know if any other cruise lines are having issues with their apps both prior and onboard the ship?

The only other app I've used is Celebrity pre-covid.  As I recall it wasn't nearly as ambitious as Medallion so didn't have so many chances to mess up.  It was informational - I don't remember having to use it for setup.  Guess I'll find out more the closer we get to our TA in Oct, 2023.

9 hours ago, brisalta said:

A well thought out system would not have the Select button if only one card is registered. Just another reflection on the skill set of the developers/designers.

Exactly. Possibly a feature for a few but confuses the many!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, brisalta said:

Latest problem is when I attempt to add a security photograph or profile photograph and click confirm  the following is returned:

Unable to save information. Please try again later.

I had the same issue trying to help a friend who has an Android phone. I have an iphone and was able to complete the photo upload without an issue. I assumed it was their phone.

I installed Medallion app on my ipad hoping that would solve the problem, but it did not. What I did next was CROP the image into a square, save in this new format and then I was able to upload. That put them into the green lane on my ipad and they were then able to see the same on their Android phone. YMMV but worth a try.

• Like 1

Currently on Discovery these app functions are not working for us: DMW, JourneyView & Port Guides.

Locations & texting each other are unreliable & intermittent. MedallionNet is not allowing photo or video attachments & has multiple lost posts…neither of these are problems when using data onshore.

I think it must have a bug or something on medallion because I had done everything maybe in last week and had achieved green status. Got email too saying medallion in route. Now the app has me back down to yellow status and keeps reloading. When I logged onto the princess website and looked at Itinerary it has me as green status. I think probably going to print stuff to avoid technical difficulties.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

Currently on Discovery these app functions are not working for us: DMW, JourneyView & Port Guides.

Locations & texting each other are unreliable & intermittent. MedallionNet is not allowing photo or video attachments & has multiple lost posts…neither of these are problems when using data onshore.

So basically you paid for internet that is non-functional?? Is Princess refunding any of the money people paid.

I think they need to invest in better IT people. The app is awful and most functions don't function. The internet is useless. I just paid $70 for 4 devices. Something tells me I am not going to be a happy camper. We go up the coast... wonder if that will be better. Will report back after our cruise.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2022 at 3:10 PM, brisalta said:

I did some investigation and found that the tools they have used are not really appropriate for software development except in the MS world. Nothing like a software project being crippled by inappropriate tool choice.

MS fingerprints...  that would explain the bloatiness of their app.  On iphone the Medallion app is a whopping 648MB.

As a comparison, Google Maps on iphone is 212MB.  Only one third the size, yet has many more features and runs faster.   Hmmmm what is wrong with the picture...

Edited by mpk
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, AF-1 said:

mpk,  maybe Princess should hire Google to fix the app.  

Why?  It works just fine for us and we've used on the last three voyages since resumption of cruises. 

4 minutes ago, Grego said:

Why?  It works just fine for us and we've used on the last three voyages since resumption of cruises. 

We'll be using it for the 3rd time in June.  It took some extra work getting our data in the first time but for subsequent trips all but a couple of things defaulted in.  Admittedly, we don't use it a great deal - finding venues on ship and locating other pax - but for what we've done it works ok.

30 minutes ago, Grego said:

There are 2500+ posts to this thread.

It seems like is may not be 'just fine' for everyone..

• Like 2

Oh boy. Here we go.

Link Booking: I input all my personal information and my passport (which I entered manually because the camera never came up on the "scan" page). I  asked it to "Link Booking," but nothing happens. I clicked it several times but ... nada, and it does not show as linked on the Personal Info & Documents page.

I'm using the app on an iPad. 
Does this matter? Thanks. 

11 minutes ago, SeaMystique said:

Oh boy. Here we go.

Link Booking: I input all my personal information and my passport (which I entered manually because the camera never came up on the "scan" page). I  asked it to "Link Booking," but nothing happens. I clicked it several times but ... nada, and it does not show as linked on the Personal Info & Documents page.

I couldn't get that to work on a recent family cruise.  But since all was green I gave up quickly rather than screw something up.

15 hours ago, t&atravel said:

But no where near 2,500 different people have posted.

Never said they did.

But, if you want to count unique poster who have had problems,

don't forget the 2 previous threads like this that were closed when

they became so large.  (That's why this thread contains 'Part 3') in the title.

And, other problems posted in different threads. Dine My Way, for instance.

On 3/31/2022 at 2:30 AM, mpk said:

MS fingerprints...  that would explain the bloatiness of their app.  On iphone the Medallion app is a whopping 648MB.

As a comparison, Google Maps on iphone is 212MB.  Only one third the size, yet has many more features and runs faster.   Hmmmm what is wrong with the picture...

The other issue is once loaded(android) it uses over 1.5GB of memory saw it go upto 1.8GB.

Anyone with devices with low memory won't be able to run it without shutdown of everything else.

Also the OS shuts it down if not in use so it's an app restart and that is slow.

(My phone is a 6GB)

On 3/31/2022 at 11:08 AM, SeaMystique said:

Oh boy. Here we go.

I too could not get it to work on the phone app and like cltnccruisers, I am showing green anyway

• Like 2

Here's our take on this terrible app. We've been on a couple of sailings on Princess since the first of the year. The whole Medallion program sucks. We spent much time with the IT people onboard. My wife uses the app as I leave my phone home (😃!)  She was told that to get the app to work correctly, your phone has to have 4Gigs of internal RAM. Most phones only have 2-3. WHEN it did work somewhat, we got all kinds of weird things like bringing us drinks that we didn't order, not getting drinks that we DID order. We were also treated poorly by the Customer Service Desk (Grand).This whole thing is such a cluster that we're actually thinking of cancelling our next 2 sailings, 

JD<-----My 2 cents. 

Edited by MrCruzeaddict
spelling
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, MrCruzeaddict said:

Here's our take on this terrible app. We've been on a couple of sailings on Princess since the first of the year. The whole Medallion program sucks. We spent much time with the IT people onboard. My wife uses the app as I leave my phone home (😃!)  She was told that to get the app to work correctly, your phone has to have 4Gigs of internal RAM. Most phones only have 2-3. WHEN it did work somewhat, we got all kinds of weird things like bringing us drinks that we didn't order, not getting drinks that we DID order. We were also treated poorly by the Customer Service Desk (Grand).This whole thing is such a cluster that we're actually thinking of cancelling our next 2 sailings, 

JD<-----My 2 cents. 

That is so sad that you would cancel your trip because the app is so frustrating.  I really hope Princess fixes this.  We were on Carnival a couple of months ago and their app was just fine -  seems sister companies would have similar IT

Does anybody know why the app thinks I'm a female?  And furthermore, won't let me save it after I've attempted to correct in an edit?  

A similar thing happened years ago in HAL's app, I had to call them to have it fixed. 

Edit: link booking is not working for me either 😞 

Edit: I'm using an Iphone 13

Edited by atexsix