HAL MOVED my cabin and I am not happy!

I Luv Crusin

I booked a cabin on the new Rotterdam TA, choosing carefully, to be between lifeboats.  This was an obstructed cabin and we have sailed in these before but were trying to maximize the view.  I posted in another rollcall (accidently) about this.  I was checking my information and notice Hal MOVED us across the ship in the middle of a lifeboat.  My travel agent wasn't notified, and we weren't either.  My TA called HAL and they said it "was their fault" so he went up the chain as high as he can go and even had the TA's corporate office call.  HAL will not do ANYTHING! (I just want my cabin back or another one between lifeboats.)

My husband and I are very mad. I want to cancel but HAL wouldn't care anyway.  We loved HAL the times we've sailed.  I won't cancel because I want to go on this cruise.  

How can they move you without saying anything?  It sounds like it's happened several times on our rollcall. Who else got bumped from their original cabin?  Are you happy with your new cabin?  What happened if you weren't happy?  I wouldn't mind if they had moved me to a similar cabin but it's not.

Does anyone know who I could contact at HAL to discuss this?

Thanks!

Have you determined if the new cabin is in a "higher" category level than your old one?  You can figure this out by looking at the deck plans (or post here the old and new numbers and someone will do it for you I am sure).

Anyway, unless you have your TA mark your reservation "DO NOT UPGRADE", HAL can and will give you a free "upgrade" to a higher level cabin.  Mind you however, what we and HAL think is a better (higher level) cabin is often not the same thing.  For this reason, most times when I select my own cabin, I mark it "DO NOT UPGRADE".  

One more thing, HAL can still offer you a paid upgrade (called an upsell), but you have to accept it and pay more for it.

• Like 2

You should not cruise angry as it will spoil the cruise.  You should book another cruise, or as was suggested, pay for an upgrade.  The important thing is that you enjoy the cruise.

You might consider rebooking with no selected cabin and benefit from the low "guarantee" price.  It doesn't matter what you end up as you don't like what you have now.

igraf

• Like 5

HAL at times can be very good or very difficult. I would suggest you pressure your TA to intervene on your behalf because you aren’t getting what you chose and it sounds like you weren’t notified.  It also doesn’t sound like an upgrade.  Hopefully they can move you to a cabin equivalent or better than what you had.  

We deal with a large big box TA and they have several times gone to bat with us, they have even pulled tape recorded calls and have gone the extra mile to make things right.  Sometimes they need to call back and speak to a different person or supervisor.  

Or perhaps find out the cost difference to an unobstructed view and see if HAL and the TA can cover it.  

Thankfully  on board the service is usually wonderful and makes you forget the hassles of booking.

if you’re outside final payment penalties you could always look at cost of a new booking.  

Edited by bennybear

If your original cabin is designated as an accessible cabin and you don’t need the accessibility features, HAL can move you to accommodate someone who needs the accessible features.

I think we need to be very clear about so-called "cruise contracts" or the document that governs your rights with any cruise line (not just HAL).  The reality is that when it comes to cruise lines you have almost no rights.  While most cruise lines will bend over backwards to please their customers, they are not legally bound to be fair.   Cruise lines have the right to change your cabin (at any time) for any reason that strikes their fancy.  You do have the right to complain (but nobody has to listen) and in some cases you can certainly cancel without a financial penalty.     And even if you have a reservation marked as "Do Not Upgrade" that is not binding on the cruise line who can move you (at any time) to a different cabin in the same or higher category.

So what can the OP do?  Absolutely express your displeasure to the cruise line, put pressure on your cruise/travel agent to work on your behalf and (if it makes you feel better) write a proper complaint letter to the CEO (keep it shore, to the point and polite).  Another option (which we have done in the past) is to simply cancel your reservation (assuming you can get a refund) and book with a different cruise line :).  I am often amazed at how many folks will rant and rave about a cruise line (while on the cruise) but then tell us that "we would never go on another line."   DW and I like to say we are equal opportunity cruisers (16 lines so far with a 17th booked) and any cruise line is only as good as its last cruise (with us aboard).  My only loyalty is to my wife and family :).  HAL has managed to keep us happy long enough for us to reach 5 Star status, but if we become unhappy with the product we would not hesitate to cancel our future HAL bookings and look elsewhere.

Hank

• Like 5

We always say no to upgrades, no matter how tempting, I'm too light of a sleeper to take a chance on getting stuck under a galley or a lounge, so we carefully map out our choices before booking.  A couple times I've been under the Lido because of being in suites on the old small ships and it was unavoidable.  Deck chair noise and pounding footsteps from children that have to run all the time, ugh, no thank you, even if the suite were free not sure I'd go for it. 

Edited by atexsix
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, I Luv Crusin said:

I booked a cabin on the new Rotterdam TA, choosing carefully, to be between lifeboats.  This was an obstructed cabin and we have sailed in these before but were trying to maximize the view.  I posted in another rollcall (accidently) about this.  I was checking my information and notice Hal MOVED us across the ship in the middle of a lifeboat.  My travel agent wasn't notified, and we weren't either.  My TA called HAL and they said it "was their fault" so he went up the chain as high as he can go and even had the TA's corporate office call.  HAL will not do ANYTHING! (I just want my cabin back or another one between lifeboats.)

My husband and I are very mad. I want to cancel but HAL wouldn't care anyway.  We loved HAL the times we've sailed.  I won't cancel because I want to go on this cruise.  

How can they move you without saying anything?  It sounds like it's happened several times on our rollcall. Who else got bumped from their original cabin?  Are you happy with your new cabin?  What happened if you weren't happy?  I wouldn't mind if they had moved me to a similar cabin but it's not.

Does anyone know who I could contact at HAL to discuss this?

Thanks!

In situations where I have been somewhat successful I have insisted that I be on a conference call with my TA and the HAL supervisor.  I don’t know why you were reassigned but it sounds like someone else now has the stateroom you requested.  Only if you are on the line can you negotiate a compromise.  It will be you and your TA negotiating with the HAL rep.  Good Luck.

• Like 4

Check the pictures of partially obstructed balconies on halfacts.com, Pinnacle class, deck 4.  You may be happier with a balcony in the middle of a lifeboat.  Between lifeboats is more obstructed than middle of lifeboat.  The forward lifeboats have a better view than the aft tenders, which are taller. 

• Like 1

Happened once to us with Princess. Princess claimed they sent an e-mail to our TA who said he never got it. By the time I noticed on our personalizer that our cabin was changed, it was past their time frame for us to deny the change and someone else had the cabin. The bottom line was our TA spent a lot of time on the phone with them and eventually got us a cabin very close to where he had originally had us booked knowing our preferences from having booked us on previous ships.

18 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

Have you determined if the new cabin is in a "higher" category level than your old one?  You can figure this out by looking at the deck plans (or post here the old and new numbers and someone will do it for you I am sure).

Anyway, unless you have your TA mark your reservation "DO NOT UPGRADE", HAL can and will give you a free "upgrade" to a higher level cabin.  Mind you however, what we and HAL think is a better (higher level) cabin is often not the same thing.  For this reason, most times when I select my own cabin, I mark it "DO NOT UPGRADE".  

One more thing, HAL can still offer you a paid upgrade (called an upsell), but you have to accept it and pay more for it.

It is the same category but on the other side of the ship.  This cruise is closed and there are no more cabins to book or change, my TA checked.  

15 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I think we need to be very clear about so-called "cruise contracts" or the document that governs your rights with any cruise line (not just HAL).  The reality is that when it comes to cruise lines you have almost no rights.  While most cruise lines will bend over backwards to please their customers, they are not legally bound to be fair.   Cruise lines have the right to change your cabin (at any time) for any reason that strikes their fancy.  You do have the right to complain (but nobody has to listen) and in some cases you can certainly cancel without a financial penalty.     And even if you have a reservation marked as "Do Not Upgrade" that is not binding on the cruise line who can move you (at any time) to a different cabin in the same or higher category.

So what can the OP do?  Absolutely express your displeasure to the cruise line, put pressure on your cruise/travel agent to work on your behalf and (if it makes you feel better) write a proper complaint letter to the CEO (keep it shore, to the point and polite).  Another option (which we have done in the past) is to simply cancel your reservation (assuming you can get a refund) and book with a different cruise line :).  I am often amazed at how many folks will rant and rave about a cruise line (while on the cruise) but then tell us that "we would never go on another line."   DW and I like to say we are equal opportunity cruisers (16 lines so far with a 17th booked) and any cruise line is only as good as its last cruise (with us aboard).  My only loyalty is to my wife and family :).  HAL has managed to keep us happy long enough for us to reach 5 Star status, but if we become unhappy with the product we would not hesitate to cancel our future HAL bookings and look elsewhere.

Hank

Hank,

Thanks for that.  This will be our 4th HAL cruise, one day away from  **Mariner.  We have loved the product and these are difficult times.  I'm mad enough to cancel but we'd just be hurting us, not HAL.  My travel agent took it as high as he could go and had his "big" office call too. It's not in anyway an upgrade but as others have posted it may have not been a "bad" move.  I'm going to research it more before I start writing letters.

One other consideration on the Pinnacle class ships ... if an Obstructed V S/R is port side forward of midship, it could be over the Queens lounge .... very loud if BB King is playing in the late evening. If you like BB King that's great ... if not, you need to be on starboard aft of midship. Where is your "new" S/R?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, I Luv Crusin said:

Hank,

Thanks for that.  This will be our 4th HAL cruise, one day away from  **Mariner.  We have loved the product and these are difficult times.  I'm mad enough to cancel but we'd just be hurting us, not HAL.  My travel agent took it as high as he could go and had his "big" office call too. It's not in anyway an upgrade but as others have posted it may have not been a "bad" move.  I'm going to research it more before I start writing letters.

I admit to some curiosity as to why this was done.  If your cabin was an "accessible" cabin then it is understandable (somebody else posted this same comment).  But otherwise there does not seem to be a good reason.  The only reason that comes to mind is that HAL may be limiting capacity (because of COVID) and is not planning on using the cabin that you originally requested.   It is not like there are big battles to get partially obstructed cabins.  Most who book that kind of cabin are hoping for a free upgrade to an unobstructed cabin and I would push the travel agent to give that another try.  The basic plea that you got screwed out of your carefully chosen cabin and the least they can do is give you an upgrade is a reasonable argument.  We have used this strategy (with a different cruise line) with some success.

Hank

• Like 2

It does not make sense to move you to the same category from the port to starboard side.  The only thing I can think of is perhaps they needed a triple occupancy VH cabin for a family or group and yours happen to be one of the few in that category.

Also, did you originally book a guarantee?

Edited by DaveOKC

4 hours ago, I Luv Crusin said:

It is the same category but on the other side of the ship.  This cruise is closed and there are no more cabins to book or change, my TA checked.  

If your TA is a fighter, this means that whoever you got bumped out of your original cabin for can be bumped out to your current cabin where they should have been in the first place. You get your original cabin back, no harm no foul. 

If HAL completely refuses, you may be offered OBC for your inconvenience if your TA insists.

If your TA is NOT a fighter, go elsewhere to book your next cruise.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, NavArch64 said:

One other consideration on the Pinnacle class ships ... if an Obstructed V S/R is port side forward of midship, it could be over the Queens lounge .... very loud if BB King is playing in the late evening. If you like BB King that's great ... if not, you need to be on starboard aft of midship. Where is your "new" S/R?

This is a very good comment and observation and if HAL is blocking some staterooms the ones on the port side over the Queens Lounge is the ideal place to do that. It could very well be they are not selling those cabins due to the noise level which was why the OP was moved.

7 minutes ago, NavArch64 said:

It's 4149, on the other side of the ship from where we were.

Lesley

8 hours ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

FYI    I always have ( no up grade ) on all my bookings ...

This is not an "upgrade".  Same category.

37 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

This is a very good comment and observation and if HAL is blocking some staterooms the ones on the port side over the Queens Lounge is the ideal place to do that. It could very well be they are not selling those cabins due to the noise level which was why the OP was moved.

Lisa, thanks for that!  I wish I knew!  Someone on another thread posted a picture of the view from an obstructed balcony over the lifeboat and I'm begging to think it may not be so bad and I should drop it.  They may be doing me a favor but how would I know? 

On the other hand, when they design ships with all the CAD software why don't they take sound management into consideration.  Not just HAL but all the cruise lines?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

It does not make sense to move you to the same category from the port to starboard side.  The only thing I can think of is perhaps they needed a triple occupancy VH cabin for a family or group and yours happen to be one of the few in that category.

Also, did you originally book a guarantee?

Nope, no guarantee.

8 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I admit to some curiosity as to why this was done.  If your cabin was an "accessible" cabin then it is understandable (somebody else posted this same comment).  But otherwise there does not seem to be a good reason.  It is not like there are big battles to get partially obstructed cabins.  Most who book that kind of cabin are hoping for a free upgrade to an unobstructed cabin and I would push the travel agent to give that another try.  The basic plea that you got screwed out of your carefully chosen cabin and the least they can do is give you an upgrade is a reasonable argument.  We have used this strategy (with a different cruise line) with some success.

Hank

8 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I admit to some curiosity as to why this was done.  If your cabin was an "accessible" cabin then it is understandable (somebody else posted this same comment).  But otherwise there does not seem to be a good reason.  It is not like there are big battles to get partially obstructed cabins.  Most who book that kind of cabin are hoping for a free upgrade to an unobstructed cabin and I would push the travel agent to give that another try.  The basic plea that you got screwed out of your carefully chosen cabin and the least they can do is give you an upgrade is a reasonable argument.  We have used this strategy (with a different cruise line) with some success.

Hank

Hank, I don't know.  I will try this but right now the ship is not selling at all.  I don't know if that means they capped the number of passengers or if the ship is full.