Polo shirts

xoxbear

Just now, KKB said:

My husband no longer brings dress shirts--pain to pack.

He wears a polo/golf shirt to dinner EVERY NIGHT--and we eat in MDR for the most part.

No one has ever said boo. 

Celebrity has been 4 of our last 5 cruises...

No one said anything because you like most are following the dress code.

Just now, dkjretired said:

No one said anything because you like most are following the dress code.

Having worked retail for year a "button down shirt" is a dress shirt.

Hey, a polo has buttons...😉

• Like 1

It’s always us men, isn’t it. Too hard to pack and wear a long sleeve shirt. One lousy shirt I can wear twice for a few Hrs. I agree the polo shirt is much better than the T-and-Shorts. 

and more than a few of the T’s have something printed that would make a sailor blush…….well, we don’t blush - or care. So why am I posting? Because I Don’t Have a Life since we haven’t cruised in 18+ months and won’t for another 4! 

den

• Haha 2

On 7/6/2021 at 8:17 PM, kwokpot said:

A polo shirt is a pullover collared shirt with an open placket made famous by Lacoste  and then Ralph Lauren. The term is not  applied to a T-shirt.

I definitely know the difference between a "polo" shirt and T-shirt and that is why I asked the OP the question.

My husband has almost 2 dozen collared  3 button polo shirts from Brooks Brothers and Ralph Lauren and I just bought him 3 Ralph Lauren (collarless) t-shirts with "POLO" on the labelling. But since we are originally from Brooklyn, when my husband was growing up, they wore collarless polo T-shirts (no Ralph Lauren back then). To verify my reply, I just asked my husband and he agreed before I hit the reply button.  

28 minutes ago, Loracpin2 said:

I definitely know the difference between a "polo" shirt and T-shirt and that is why I asked the OP the question.

My husband has almost 2 dozen collared  3 button polo shirts from Brooks Brothers and Ralph Lauren and I just bought him 3 Ralph Lauren (collarless) t-shirts with "POLO" on the labelling. But since we are originally from Brooklyn, when my husband was growing up, they wore collarless polo T-shirts (no Ralph Lauren back then). To verify my reply, I just asked my husband and he agreed before I hit the reply button.  

Absolutely no one is going to call a T-shirt made by Polo Ralph Lauren a Polo shirt. 

1 hour ago, AllureOfVacation said:

That is obviously a t-shirt, but to be honest, if worn with a nice pair of trousers and maybe a sportive jacket, it is perfectly for the MDR non-chic evenings

I only posted the OP the picture of the "t shirt" to verify that Ralph Lauren makes and labels collarless "POLO" T shirts although she emphatically stated...."Absolutely no one is going to call a T-shirt made by Polo Ralph Lauren a Polo shirt".    

3 hours ago, Loracpin2 said:

I only posted the OP the picture of the "t shirt" to verify that Ralph Lauren makes and labels collarless "POLO" T shirts although she emphatically stated...."Absolutely no one is going to call a T-shirt made by Polo Ralph Lauren a Polo shirt".    

Since you seem to want to split hairs, then the OP was not wrong. It is not a polo shirt. It is a POLO t shirt. POLO is a brand, whereas polo or Polo is a style.

Edited by mom says
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

I look at it this way - collar vs no collar.  A pull over shirt with a collar is acceptable at all times.  For evening chic I just put on a sports coat.

I have a lot of long sleeve dress shirts and usually wear one for the evening meal. I stopped bringing ties on Celebrity cruises. 

On 7/6/2021 at 6:06 PM, Denny01 said:

Here is the post from Celebrity website. I’ll let all of you interpret as you wish:

Formal Night gets a modern reboot. Say goodbye to Formal Night, and hello to Evening Chic. It’s your time to shine—your way. Get glamorous. Get chic. Be sophisticated. Now, on up to two nights on every cruise, Evening Chic activities have been introduced, and Evening Chic attire has replaced Formal attire. While dressier than Smart Casual, Evening Chic is intended to be less dressy than Formal attire.

Women should feel comfortable wearing:

• A cocktail dress
  • Skirt, pants or designer jeans with an elegant top

Men should feel comfortable wearing:

• Pants or designer jeans with a dress shirt, button-down shirt or sweater
  • Optional sport coat or blazer

Evening Chic means that you can get glamorous and be sophisticated in your own way. If you would like to still wear a tuxedo or formal gown on Evening Chic nights, you absolutely should.

All cruises that are 7 nights or longer will feature two Evening Chic nights. Any cruise 6-nights or shorter will feature one Evening Chic night. All other nights of the cruise will feature Smart Casual attire. Celebrity Xpedition will continue to feature casual attire for the entire cruise.

Smart Casual attire can be enjoyed every other night of your cruise.

Women should feel comfortable wearing:

• Skirt, pants or jeans with a casual top

Men should feel comfortable wearing:

• Pants or jeans with a short sleeve sport shirt.

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours. The dress code will be enforced at all restaurants. And guests are asked to follow the Smart Casual or Evening Chic dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances. The daily program, delivered to your stateroom and available at the Guest Relations Desk, will be your guide to the correct attire each evening.

If you can wear jeans to Evening Chic night how is it more dressy than smart casual.  Jeans or jeans.  LOL 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Fouremco said:

A t-shirt is a t-shirt, no matter who makes it. A t-shirt made by Polo Ralph Laurent is still a t-shirt, not a polo shirt.

Absolutely correct -- No discussion --- That's it---- period.

Ya wanna wear a tshirt on a night when they request something a little more " classy " , go ahead .

Ya might as well wear one with " I love ME "  on it.

Yup, I know, it's your body, you're on vacation, blah, blah, blah.

And, bye the way--- they sell them on the " Islands " --- 5 for $ 20 -- excellent quality ----until they are washed.

Too bad about the Habs--- Great season though !!

• Like 1

On 7/7/2021 at 10:02 PM, kwokpot said:

Absolutely no one is going to call a T-shirt made by Polo Ralph Lauren a Polo shirt. 

This thought has never entered my mind but now that it's here you can't stop me.

Aren't "collarless" polos the ones with the low-cut stand up collars that taper down towards the throat? Like a mandarin collar but half the height with a slope.

Also, I tend to really eat a lot on vacation and want to be prepared. Sooooooooo thoughts?

Classics_Vector_Cropped_Polo_Shirt_Pink_

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, TheGrandSnackoneer said:

This thought has never entered my mind but now that it's here you can't stop me.

Aren't "collarless" polos the ones with the low-cut stand up collars that taper down towards the throat? Like a mandarin collar but half the height with a slope.

Also, I tend to really eat a lot on vacation and want to be prepared. Sooooooooo thoughts?

What you are describing is a polo neck, similar to a turtle neck, and refers to sweaters, not shirts.

As for the photo- only if you manscape and have a waist  <30". 🤑

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, mom says said:

What you are describing is a polo neck, similar to a turtle neck, and refers to sweaters, not shirts.

This is what the poster i was having the back and forth with was trying to imply. Having said that, I still stand by that no one, even men of a certain generation, is going to call a pullover casual shirt with that type of neckline a Polo shirt. 

8 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Do these polo shirts have alligators on them?  What is the animal of choice?

If it has an alligator, it's a tennis shirt. Lacoste played tennis... 😃 (Emoji in case anyone thinks that was a truly serious comment; things are getting testy around the boards today!)

It's actually kind of funny. Lacoste shirts (with the alligator) are usually called tennis shirts, although they look just like polo shirts. Golf shirts look just like polo shirts, and are sometimes even called golf polo shirts, just to confuse everyone.

And the semi-serious comment is that there probably is a subset of people, maybe not Celebrity cruisers, under a certain age, who would consider a Polo branded t-shirt a Polo shirt, but maybe not a polo shirt...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, markeb said:

If it has an alligator, it's a tennis shirt. Lacoste played tennis... 😃 (Emoji in case anyone thinks that was a truly serious comment; things are getting testy around the boards today!)

It's actually kind of funny. Lacoste shirts (with the alligator) are usually called tennis shirts, although they look just like polo shirts. Golf shirts look just like polo shirts, and are sometimes even called golf polo shirts, just to confuse everyone.

And the semi-serious comment is that there probably is a subset of people, maybe not Celebrity cruisers, under a certain age, who would consider a Polo branded t-shirt a Polo shirt, but maybe not a polo shirt...

Actually, it's a crocodile.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mom says said:

As for the photo- only if you manscape and have a waist  <30". 🤑

Never knew they were called a polo neck, learned something new! I'm describing a different shirt entirely though but I think it's a golf shirt type thing. I've only rarely seen them as a fashion/non-sport shirt. This is what I mean (please ignore the model's face I have no clue what he's squinting at).ossaBJS_43bb4bd2-0b5f-4a7c-89d2-f88de0a9

All body types have their charms but this brings up a missed opportunity for the cruise spa to sell some manscaping services. "Get Your Deck Waxed" has a certain marketability to it.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, billslowsky said:

Actually, it's a crocodile.  

19 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Yup, Rene Lacoste's nickname was "The Crocodile".

Blast it. I knew that. Once upon a time. 

Oh well, so much for the attempted humor…😀

• Like 1

Well I've read this entire thread and laughed out loud a couple of times so thanks for that.  "Here we go.." was my fav followed by "It's a crocodile..." And my husband's ties and sport's jacket are staying in the closet 😆 on our next cruise which is this coming Saturday - yeaaaa!!!

22 minutes ago, jlbaker said:

Well I've read this entire thread and laughed out loud a couple of times so thanks for that.  "Here we go.." was my fav followed by "It's a crocodile..." And my husband's ties and sport's jacket are staying in the closet 😆 on our next cruise which is this coming Saturday - yeaaaa!!!

If I am cruising out of Los Angeles (Princess), I wear a sports coat, dress shirt and tie to board.  That way, I have deep inside breast pockets for all of my important papers, my jacket and shirt remain unwrinkled, and it suits my preference for wearing decent clothes while traveling -- from my childhood when people got dressed up to fly. 

Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1