Adventure PCR Testing Requirement

30 minutes ago, exm said:

I have reached out to them, I'll be awaiting their reply. I'll be in Nassau for a week before the cruise so it's important to me what the final answer is.

However, the text is clear. "5 Days Before Arriving in the Bahamas". It doesn't say "5 Days Before Boarding the Adventure of the Seas Cruise in the Bahamas".

thumbnail.jpg

Yes, but there have been reports of people arriving in the Bahamas in the days ahead of their cruise, but caught flak when trying to check in because their test was more than 5 days old based on cruise date.

• Like 1

I was one of the people on the June 19 sailing who contacted RCI executives directly and received a response on the same day.  A friend of mine also contacted them and they called him.  At that time, they had sent us an email "to clarify" that 5 days meant the Tuesday before boarding the Adventure.  I emailed Aurora that the Bahamas health visa website allowed for Monday as the earliest test date for a Saturday arrival, and since they were "using Bahamas protocols" Monday should be fine for a test day.  Later that day Aurora replied to me that indeed, Monday was fine and that they'd be sending out new guidance to once again "clarify" their requirements.  And then they sent out the "5 days before arriving in the Bahamas" again, which is as clear as the Mississippi River.  I'm on Adventure again July 24.  I'm getting a test next Monday.  But that's just me.  To be honest, the Bahamaian staff that do the check-in at the hotel in Nassau don't seem to be picky.  They were mostly concerned with making sure names on all the numerous documents matched and they saw keywords like "PCR test" and "negative" or "not detected".  Then they took photos of each document and off we went to the ship.

• Like 1

I wouldn't mind getting a test on the Bahamas, but I am not sure where to go and more importantly, how much that will be. In the US the test is free for the 5 of us.

7 hours ago, exm said:

I wouldn't mind getting a test on the Bahamas, but I am not sure where to go and more importantly, how much that will be. In the US the test is free for the 5 of us.

Go to travel.gov.bs and click on Test Centers.  Hotels offer tests to their customers only and they mainly offer the antigen test instead of the RT-PCR test you need. I looked elsewhere and it seemed those tests ran $150/$165.

I would look at the sites offering concierge service that are near East Bay Street or the one on Wuff Street. They are near the British Colonial and port so you can have an idea where they are.

At those prices for 5 people, I can see why you’d rather get them in the US.

37 minutes ago, seabeew said:

Go to travel.gov.bs and click on Test Centers.  Hotels offer tests to their customers only and they mainly offer the antigen test instead of the RT-PCR test you need. I looked elsewhere and it seemed those tests ran $150/$165.

I would look at the sites offering concierge service that are near East Bay Street or the one on Wuff Street. They are near the British Colonial and port so you can have an idea where they are.

At those prices for 5 people, I can see why you’d rather get them in the US.

Exactly. Cheapest I've found is $130 locally. I just don't understand Royal's thinking here: we are fully vaccinated. If they want to test, why don't test everyone (not just 12 and younger) using the rapidtest in the Hilton? I've already reached out to RCCL that they'll need to reimburse me (I'll take OBC) if they insist for me to take this in the Bahamas. This is a nonsense last minute rule that might cost our party of 7 almost $1,000.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, exm said:

Exactly. Cheapest I've found is $130 locally. I just don't understand Royal's thinking here: we are fully vaccinated. If they want to test, why don't test everyone (not just 12 and younger) using the rapidtest in the Hilton? I've already reached out to RCCL that they'll need to reimburse me (I'll take OBC) if they insist for me to take this in the Bahamas. This is a nonsense last minute rule that might cost our party of 7 almost $1,000.

Abundance of caution is their catch phrase. Yes, it doesn’t make a lot of sense 

On 7/14/2021 at 11:56 AM, smokeybandit said:

They panicked when the first Celebrity cruise had two positives. Then they tried to justify it all saying "well it's like the Bahamas policy anyway, no big deal" despite the two policies only matching for 12-15 yr olds. Then come August, the two policies don't match at all.

This, 100%.

It's a ridiculous policy.  A test taken five days ago says basically nothing about whether a person is infected today, and going forward, anyone who needs a test to enter the Bahamas will not be allowed on the ship anyway.  So it's a useless, unnecessary expense and inconvenience.

It will cost my family somewhere in the neighborhood of $400 - $800 for testing, depending on how far we want to drive.  Either that, or we go to a city testing centre and lie about having COVID symptoms.  We knew this before we booked, so I can't really hold it against Royal Caribbean, but it's still a stupid expense and I'm holding on to some hope that the policy will change before we sail at the end of August.

• Like 2

I just read in the 7/17 "Live" report that someone's PCR test wasn't recent enough (older than 5 days), so they made him do an antigen test on the spot.

WHY DON'T THEY SIMPLY DO THIS FOR EVERY PASSENGER?!?!

Anyway, that will be my strategy also unless Royal clarifies their policy. Not my fault that they're stating '5 days before arriving in the bahamas'

Hey mabt, doesn't your insurance cover the testing? Just don't tell them it's for traveling.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, exm said:

I just read in the 7/17 "Live" report that someone's PCR test wasn't recent enough (older than 5 days), so they made him do an antigen test on the spot.

WHY DON'T THEY SIMPLY DO THIS FOR EVERY PASSENGER?!?!

Anyway, that will be my strategy also unless Royal clarifies their policy. Not my fault that they're stating '5 days before arriving in the bahamas'

Hey mabt, doesn't your insurance cover the testing? Just don't tell them it's for traveling.

In answer to your question about why aren’t they giving antigen tests to passengers at the British Colonial?

As you know, originally vaccinated persons did not need to take a test.

Then at the last minute they decided to give the antigen test to all June 12 passengers at the British Colonial. That probably took time and Royal had to pay for the tests.

Again at the very fast minute, Royal emailed my June 19 sailing to tell us to bring printed PCR test results taken within the infamous 5 days before arriving in the Bahamas. That decision kept anyone from flying into the Bahamas with Covid, streamed lined the boarding process, and shifted the cost of the test to the passengers. 

7 hours ago, exm said:

I just read in the 7/17 "Live" report that someone's PCR test wasn't recent enough (older than 5 days), so they made him do an antigen test on the spot. WHY DON'T THEY SIMPLY DO THIS FOR EVERY PASSENGER?!?! 

Testing of all passengers cost money, takes time, takes resources. We were on the cruise with 100% testing at check-in. The testing vendor made a fortune on that gig. One reception area was devoted to checking passengers in for testing (gathering personal data, email addresses for results, printing sticker for test samples). A large ball room was set up to administer tests. The cruise check-in area in a second ballroom was cut in half to provide a "holding pen" for people waiting for their test results. 

Having people come with their own test results saves time and money,,, and the need to deal with day-of-cruise false positives which could hold up your embarkation for some time. 

And showing up to the cruise with a test result > 5 days old may result in you being denied boarding. There is a COVID test shop across the street from the Hilton and am I sure for enough $$$, they could expedite the processing of a PCR test. Why go through the hassle, just ensure that you can comply with the intent of the policy and you'll be fine. 

10 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Testing of all passengers cost money, takes time, takes resources. We were on the cruise with 100% testing at check-in. The testing vendor made a fortune on that gig. One reception area was devoted to checking passengers in for testing (gathering personal data, email addresses for results, printing sticker for test samples). A large ball room was set up to administer tests. The cruise check-in area in a second ballroom was cut in half to provide a "holding pen" for people waiting for their test results. 

Having people come with their own test results saves time and money,,, and the need to deal with day-of-cruise false positives which could hold up your embarkation for some time. 

And showing up to the cruise with a test result > 5 days old may result in you being denied boarding. There is a COVID test shop across the street from the Hilton and am I sure for enough $$$, they could expedite the processing of a PCR test. Why go through the hassle, just ensure that you can comply with the intent of the policy and you'll be fine. 

I'm sorry, but I'm fully vaccinated. This 5 day rule is absolute non-sense. Nevertheless, RCCL states clearly:

"As a requirement to board the ship, all guests age 2 and older will need to take a PCR test for COVID-19 no more than 5 days before arriving in The Bahamas. Note that this is a requirement of Royal Caribbean for our guests, and is more stringent than The Bahamas Health Visa testing requirements for inbound travelers"

I'm going to comply to this rule. Mind you, if I need to test locally it will cost almost a $1,000 for my party of 7. So I'll take my changes - they won't deny boarding, worse case is a last minute test.

But this is garbage.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2021 at 4:26 PM, exm said:

I'm in Canada, so it's a little different here.  All testing for non-travel purposes is covered by provincial governments, so it would be redundant for private benefit plans to provide non-travel coverage.  I don't think any are doing it for travel purposes either.

I could claim a headache and a sore throat and get tested for free, but I don't suppose it's very ethical.  It's not just a matter of failing to mention that it's for travel - they won't test unless you report symptoms or close contact with a confirmed positive case.  Although with the cost of testing so high, I suspect a lot of people are doing it anyway!

11 hours ago, exm said:

I'm sorry, but I'm fully vaccinated. This 5 day rule is absolute non-sense. Nevertheless, RCCL state

But this is garbage.

NCL is running 100% vaccinated cruises (no kids) and they are testing 100% of their passengers. 

On 7/16/2021 at 10:54 AM, mabt said:

This, 100%.

It's a ridiculous policy.  A test taken five days ago says basically nothing about whether a person is infected today, and going forward, anyone who needs a test to enter the Bahamas will not be allowed on the ship anyway.  So it's a useless, unnecessary expense and inconvenience.

It will cost my family somewhere in the neighborhood of $400 - $800 for testing, depending on how far we want to drive.  Either that, or we go to a city testing centre and lie about having COVID symptoms.  We knew this before we booked, so I can't really hold it against Royal Caribbean, but it's still a stupid expense and I'm holding on to some hope that the policy will change before we sail at the end of August.

I agree......but.....you also need a test to fly home, which RCCL is paying for.  Why do you need a test to go back to the USA when flying, but you don't need it on a ship, boat, walking, driving a car, or jumping fences.  None of it makes any sense but we do have to live with these rules in 2021 so it's part of the trip.  By the way, in Florida anyway, CVS will test you for free, either charge your insurance, or submit it for government reimbursement.  They will do it even if you travel.  you don't need to lie.

29 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

CVS will test you for free,

Then I'm waiting till we arrive in Orlando and getting one there the day before boarding, even though we are vxd.  What are they going to do with that!  Must you be a Florida resident for this?

11 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

Then I'm waiting till we arrive in Orlando and getting one there the day before boarding, even though we are vxd.  What are they going to do with that!  Must you be a Florida resident for this?

Joseph2017China

the post before yours says the test can be for travel, don't need to lie about what state you are from.

Here is a copy of the email.... so effective Aug 1... test needs to be done within 3 days not 5 and they allow the antigen test as well as PCR. From what I read the antigen test results are available within 15 minutes or so..vs the day or two for PCR. I don't want to be waiting on pins and needles..so I will opt for antigen test.

Screen Shot 2021-07-23 at 9.39.26 AM.png

Guessing they are also just doing blanket instead of specific emails.  Got another one this AM saying I had to register for pcr test for anyone 2 to 11 years old - no kids on our reservation for sailing on August 7.

5 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

I don't really know, I live in Florida.  you can go to their webpage.  The antigen test is not at all locations, but like the PCR test is.  So you have to be very specific when selecting what test.  It also takes several hours, not 30 minutes.  But it is faster then PCR which takes 2 days

1 hour ago, CTSandy said:

Guessing they are also just doing blanket instead of specific emails.  Got another one this AM saying I had to register for pcr test for anyone 2 to 11 years old - no kids on our reservation for sailing on August 7.

Wait, what? For August sailings on AOS kids between 2-11 need a PCR test? I am reading this:

Royal Caribbean requires these guests to take a PCR test for COVID-19 no more than 5 days before arriving in The Bahamas and present a printed copy of their negative result at the check-in hotel. On August 1, this requirement will change to 3 days before your sail date, and any kind of negative COVID-19 test will be accepted, PCR or antigen. Guests age 12 and older will also need to submit their negative PCR test result as part of the Bahamas Health Visa online application process, and again in person upon arriving at Lynden Pindling International Airport (NAS). Costs associated with this test are the guests' responsibility.

Source: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/the-healthy-sail-center/getting-ready-to-cruise?dPort=bahamas

1 minute ago, exm said:

Wait, what? For August sailings on AOS kids between 2-11 need a PCR test? I am reading this:

Royal Caribbean requires these guests to take a PCR test for COVID-19 no more than 5 days before arriving in The Bahamas and present a printed copy of their negative result at the check-in hotel. On August 1, this requirement will change to 3 days before your sail date, and any kind of negative COVID-19 test will be accepted, PCR or antigen. Guests age 12 and older will also need to submit their negative PCR test result as part of the Bahamas Health Visa online application process, and again in person upon arriving at Lynden Pindling International Airport (NAS). Costs associated with this test are the guests' responsibility.

Source: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/the-healthy-sail-center/getting-ready-to-cruise?dPort=bahamas

Bahamas Health Visa Requirement:

Vaccinated;

or negative RT-PCR test from the last 5 days;

or under 12 (no test required)

Royal Caribbean Check-in Requirement:

Vaccinated (age 12 or older, as of August 1);

or under 12 (as of August 1)

AND

Antigen or RT-PCR test from the last 3 days (as of August 1);

or under 2 (no test required)

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, dswallow said:

Vaccinated;

AND

That's my understanding also, thanks for summarizing.

6 hours ago, dswallow said:

Vaccinated;

AND

The Bahamas rules changed last week.  There is no longer an age exclusion for those who are not vaxxed.  They all require a RT-PCR within 5 days of arrival on the island.  RCL has not updated this on their site.

1 hour ago, jasongoldberg said:

The Bahamas rules changed last week.  There is no longer an age exclusion for those who are not vaxxed.  They all require a RT-PCR within 5 days of arrival on the island.  RCL has not updated this on their site.

i just double checked the official Bahamas website and I don’t see this. Do you have a link?