New MDR Breakfast and Lunch Offerings

GoHoward

34 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

A well prepared Corned Beef Hash with Poached Eggs (medium cooked) with freshly baked Croissants:  that's what I would desire.  

I like buttered rye toast with my corned beef hash and poached eggs.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, whogo said:

I hate to see prices on cruise line menus. I assume the waiters will be asked to push the indulge items and then I can cool my heels while some guy tries to find his cruise card to pay for the same. Do they add 18% gratuity to the indulge items?

Good point.  I need to think about this since I can understand a mass market line charging an extra fee for something like a lobster roll (assuming it is any good).  But I have always thought that having add-on charge options in the MDR is a very slippery slope.  On the other hand, we do have options such as to not buy those items or go on luxury lines such as Seabourn.  When we cruise on the luxury lines we pay a significantly higher price per passenger day then on HAL (this would not be the case for folks who book Neptune Suites).  

It is hard to know where to draw the line on add-ons at an additional cost.  I happen to really enjoy caviar.  If I cruise on Seabourn, Silverseas or some other lines I can get unlimited caviar at no extra charge.  If I order caviar on Celebrity (they have it at their wine bar) I must pay about $90 for a small jar (not sure or their current post COVID price).  I think it used to be an option on HAL in the Pinnacle (perhaps I am wrong and this is a senior moment) but there was a significant add-on.  

I do see these add-on items as a major change in cruising and have never formed a firm opinion.  A couple of years prior to COVID, Princess started putting a small add-on menu in their regular MDR menu as a supplement.  Most of their items were from their Crown Grill Menu (an alternative restaurant with a fee similar to the Pinnacle).  So you could pay X number of extra dollars to get a higher quality Crown Grill steak in the MDR.  I never saw anyone order from these add-on menus but guess some folks did do the deed.   The debate might be should we have the option of ordering higher quality items in the MDR if we are willing to pay extra?  Or..should they just not offer anything that would require an extra fee?

Hank

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

And she is who?  And why should I be pleased that she has joined the Culinary Council? 

Well, now I will probably show how much I love cooking shows…..

Kristen Kish won Top Chef the year it was in Seattle and Alaska in 2012.  It just so happened that same year we took a HAL cruise to Alaska. Top Chef aired after we were home and it was fun seeing all the places we had been on the show including Copper Creek Salmon Bake in Juneau. 

Most of the chefs on the show are innovative. A lot have gone on to prestige positions and great restaurants. Here is the Wikipedia info on her:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kristen_Kish

As to why you should be pleased she is on the council?  I can only speak for myself.  For me, it is a connection and also nice knowing her history and background. 

Edited by Sharon in AZ
  • Like 9

55 minutes ago, GoHoward said:

Lest anyone worry that bacon or pancakes have been banished from the MDR, here is the rest of the breakfast menu - as I noted above, largely unchanged from earlier offerings.

Thank you for sharing!  I might just have to fork out some money for a Lobster Benedict!

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, syesmar said:

Refresh my memory on the “daily special” at breakfast. All this food talk is making me hungry😉

I haven’t seen a daily special for years.  That said, maybe they do on specific ships.  I find Hal’s breakfast menu so extensive that I can’t imagine what they would have for a special.

11 hours ago, GoHoward said:

Lest anyone worry that bacon or pancakes have been banished from the MDR, here is the rest of the breakfast menu - as I noted above, largely unchanged from earlier offerings.

128C72F9-8A71-4C3A-BF1F-0630C8FE0D2B.jpeg

DD0DCE5D-8721-4A0F-884D-9580351F7596.jpeg

66E1CC70-1F7D-44F5-B757-0E5BFCCF7AB9.jpeg

Thank you for posting this.  I am big on a short stack of pancakes and breakast meat.  My alternative is an English muffin and breakfast meat. 

• Like 2

I don't see my beloved Southwest Omelet. 😥

In 2023 I have a 31-day cruise booked so it should give me an opportunity to sample most of the MDR breakfast offerings.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Well, now I will probably show how much I love cooking shows…..

Kristen Kish won Top Chef the year it was in Seattle and Alaska in 2012.  It just so happened that same year we took a HAL cruise to Alaska. Top Chef aired after we were home and it was fun seeing all the places we had been on the show including Copper Creek Salmon Bake in Juneau. 

Most of the chefs on the show are innovative. A lot have gone on to prestige positions and great restaurants. Here is the Wikipedia info on her:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kristen_Kish

As to why you should be pleased she is on the council?  I can only speak for myself.  For me, it is a connection and also nice knowing her history and background. 

Oh, yeah, I really liked her. I think she was on the most recent season as a past chef?

I'm hoping to see a few more gluten free options.  As a recently diagnosed celiac patient, I've been worrying about what I will be able eat on a cruise

Edited by mtnlvr53
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Roz said:

In 2023 I have a 31-day cruise booked so it should give me an opportunity to sample most of the MDR breakfast offerings.

The omelette station at The Lido can make any type of omelette you wish, fresh. Happy Sailing!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, aliaschief said:

You can make your own omelet.

But will they have the sour cream, salsa, and guac to go with it?  And how do I know what to tell them to put in it?  I realize this a 1st world problem. 😎

• Haha 1

These menus are great! I would be happy to try most of the new offerings and would need a long cruise for that :)  Good that HAL has streamlined the lunch dessert menu, as most offering were so-so at best. Breakfast addition of congee will compete for my attention with the Aloo Masala and the Asian br.  Now to book something, anything!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I haven’t seen a daily special for years.

Nor have I.  The last time may have been on my 2008 world cruise.

15 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Thank you for your interesting post.  She does seem to be a good addition to the Culinary Council.  I look forward to trying some of her dishes aboard the ship.

I am very glad to learn that Swedish Pancakes are still on the Breakfast menu.  They are delicious!  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, lstrong said:

Can someone explain what Aloo masala is please

I've never had it but I did a recipe search and it is a spicy Indian Potato dish: looks pretty yummy

Aloo Masala (Spiced Potatoes)

Edited by mtnlvr53
added photo
  • Like 1

Last time we were aboard a HAL ship (Amsterdam 2020 WC) we used the Lido on port days pretty much and DR for sea days.

We had the same table for 2, same waiters that we had at night and a daily special was offered.

Further, one could at that time (and many cruises prior to that cruise) order off menu. Pretty much anything available in the Lido was available. One could order a fresh omelet with whatever ingredients, sauces, sour cream, etc. one desired for example.

The MDR always seemed to have fresher, hotter coffee, fresh squeezed OJ, etc.

Hopefully things in the DR will not change too much but one never knows.

Bottom line, it doesn’t hurt to ask your server the availability of off menu items you may wish to eat.

Toasted bagel topped with smoked salmon, cream cheese and red onion with side of fresh fruit, hot coffee and fresh OJ (large) = Yum!

Be well & Bon Apetit!

Bob

9 hours ago, Roz said:

That’s a fav of mine too so I noticed it was missing.  I do enjoy the vegetable frittata so I think I’ll manage to survive 😛.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, prescottbob said:

Last time we were aboard a HAL ship (Amsterdam 2020 WC) we used the Lido on port days pretty much and DR for sea days.

We had the same table for 2, same waiters that we had at night and a daily special was offered.

Further, one could at that time (and many cruises prior to that cruise) order off menu. Pretty much anything available in the Lido was available. One could order a fresh omelet with whatever ingredients, sauces, sour cream, etc. one desired for example.

The MDR always seemed to have fresher, hotter coffee, fresh squeezed OJ, etc.

Hopefully things in the DR will not change too much but one never knows.

Bottom line, it doesn’t hurt to ask your server the availability of off menu items you may wish to eat.

Toasted bagel topped with smoked salmon, cream cheese and red onion with side of fresh fruit, hot coffee and fresh OJ (large) = Yum!

Be well & Bon Apetit!

Bob

Do you remember any of the specials?  I can’t imagine what they would offer that isn’t on the menu.  Make your own omelette has been a staple on the menu for a long time.  I often ask for Greek yogurt and fruit yogurt mixed but that’s about as wild as I go off menu 😏.  I would fully expect some special things on a world cruise.  A cruise in the cheap seats not so much. 

Having a fixed MDR lunch menu would be something new in my memory.  I have been scanning and posting lunch menus from both the Lido and MDR for a number of years.  They change every day. 

The Embarkation Day lunch has varied very little over the past few years.

• Like 2