Wine & Soda still allowed to be carried on?

Banditswife

39 minutes ago, Banditswife said:

I have not sailed HAL in a while, going in Oct.  Are we still allowed to carry on 1 bottle of wine per adult passenger?  And how about canned or bottled soda & water, still allowed?

If you search through this forum you will find more detailed information on this, but basically I understand that you are allowed two bottles of wine per cabin, up to 12 CANS of soda or water, but NO bottles of soda or water.  No plastics.

• Like 1

To add to DaveOKC’s post, the wine is debatable.

The Know Before you go stares that all wine is subject to corkage (now $20 per bottle) while people’s contracts have said they can bring on the 2 bottles free of corkage.

Once we get our luggage tags or our contracts it will be clearer.

Soda is really strict now - no plastics at all.  Cartons or cans.  That’s it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Banditswife said:

Thank you both.  My son (cruising with us) talked to a HAL rep that said no soda or water-- period.  So I hope cans are still allowed for my Dr Pepper addiction LOL.

the HAL rep is wrong.  Typical of Seattle.  Call 3 times and get 3 different answers.  

the Know Before you Go specifically states the limitations on soda.  https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/faq/know-before-you-go.html

Screen shots to make life easy:

6A57382F-C9F7-4921-82D8-5839350DB711.thumb.png.b6fa9178318ad852486077335cb8161a.png

EBF792DA-CF00-4B0C-A6BE-EFBDDA2EA304.thumb.png.0fbc82f21feb163fa0b34360c265d498.png

• Like 2

You used to be able to bring aboard as much water as you can carry – no longer.  Here is the latest policy

Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages on board for consumption or any other use except as follows:

Guests 21 years and older may bring Wine and Champagne onboard, however a corkage fee of USD $20.00 (which is subject to change without notice) will be applied to each bottle (max 750 ml in volume or less). Limitations apply. Wine brought in quantities deemed to be excessive by the vessel or security will be refused.

For voyage that depart from and return to Australia and/or New Zealand, this policy applies to guests 18 years and older. For voyages which depart from and return to Europe, China, Hong Kong, Singapore or Taiwan, this policy applies to guests 18 years and older, and for voyages which depart from and return to Japan, this policy applies to guests 20 years and older.

Items such as sodas, energy drinks or other non-alcoholic items are not allowed on board in any form. Plastic water bottles are not allowed. However, an allowance of six liters, twelve (12) cans or cartons (500 ml in volume or less) or six (6) cans or cartons (1 liter in volume or less) of water are allowed per stateroom.  Any amount in excess of this allowance will be not be allowed onboard. Water in plastic bottles will not be allowed onboard in any quantity, including in ports of call. Guests will be asked to discard open beverages in plastic containers prior to boarding.    

All checked and carry-on luggage will be scanned and any prohibited items, including alcoholic/nonalcoholic beverages will be removed, confiscated, and discarded.  If Your luggage is locked, the lock may be removed by security or, alternatively, the luggage will be held by security until you can be present for an inspection and any items in question further identified and/or surrendered.  Holland America Line shall not be responsible for any loss, cost, disappointment or damage of any kind as a result of any luggage lock removal, alcoholic/nonalcoholic items, or other prohibited items removed and discarded in violation of the policy. You agree to surrender alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty free from the ship’s gift shop, or at ports of call, to Holland America Line, which will be delivered to your stateroom just prior to disembarking the voyage. Any wine or champagne supplied by the Holland America Line to you is not subject to a corkage fee.  Purified or distilled water in factory-sealed containers (including plastic containers) for use in conjunction with medical device(s) are allowed in checked luggage and must be packed with the device(s). Distilled/purified water in factory-sealed containers (including plastic containers) for the reconstitution of infant formula is allowed in checked luggage for staterooms with infant bookings. Limitations apply. Allowances are subject to change without notice and remain subject to situational assessments by both security and the vessel.

An 18% Service Charge is automatically applied to all Beverage Purchases, Bar Retail Items, Specialty Restaurant Cover Charges and all For Purchase A La Carte Menu Items. Local Sales Taxes Applied where required.

So what the above states means that Dr. Pepper is not allowed on board in ANY form.  

"Items such as sodas, energy drinks or other non-alcoholic items are not allowed on board in any form."

Water is allowed in cans or cartons.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Banditswife said:

Thanks, for the screen shots.  OK I will have to go cold turkey on my DrP

Maybe not.  Wait until you see your cruise contract.  

This was posted on the HAL board by a CC member who got their contract and alerted the board.

I just went to check the google-a-ble HAL cruise contract and this is what it says copied and pasted:

Guests agree not to bring alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages on board for consumption or for any other use except as follows:

• For Guests of legal drinking age, an allowance of two (2) bottles of wine or champagne (750 mL in volume or less) per stateroom may be presented to security during embarkation.
  • For world cruises, or cruises with consecutive voyages, this allowance can be multiplied by the number of segments that comprise the complete sailing. Items for future segments/voyages will be held by the vessel and delivered on the first day of each segment. Guests should present their documentation for any consecutive sailings to security on boarding day.
  • A US $20.00 corkage fee (which is subject to change without notice) will apply to each additional bottle (750 ml in volume or less) beyond the two (2) bottle allowance. Limitations apply. Wine brought in quantities deemed to be excessive by the vessel or security will be refused.
  • Guests are also prohibited from bringing water, sodas and other non-alcoholic beverages on board that are packaged in bottles. A small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages (i.e., sparkling water, sodas, juice, milk) packaged in cans or cartons may be brought on board on embarkation day, only if carried on in Guests’ hand luggage (not in checked luggage). A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 sealed, unopened cans/cartons of 12 ounces each or less per person. Guests will be asked to discard open beverages in plastic containers prior to boarding.

This specifically says non alcoholic are permitted as well (with the same limitations as the water - not plastic) the 2 free bottles of wine so time will tell, I guess.

It wouldn’t be the first time the KBYG conflicts with the contract.  The contract rules.  So wait until you get yours and check it carefully.

• Like 4

I suspect this is a case where they have not updated everything to be the same across the board.  Not sure I want to get into a dockside argument about the cruise contract versus other published rules..  some of these changes are about environmental issues (plastic bottles) and some are about revenue.  

• Like 3

13 hours ago, kazu said:

This was posted on the HAL board by a CC member who got their contract and alerted the board.

This specifically says non alcoholic are permitted as well (with the same limitations as the water - not plastic) the 2 free bottles of wine so time will tell, I guess.

It wouldn’t be the first time the KBYG conflicts with the contract.  The contract rules.  So wait until you get yours and check it carefully.

Thanks. we will have to read our contracts.  This is mostly for my son who will be driving to the port.  But we are flying with "flight ease" on the day of embarkation, so no easy way to buy soda or wine.

We sail Oct 2, 2021 for a 21 day through Panama Canal.  We are just so excited to sail again, I can live with whatever rules set forth.  Just want to cruise.

Does anyone know what brands of soda are offered on board & can I order soda to be delivered to our cabin?

I am on the July 24th Alaska sailing. The cruise contract I signed off on and the Navigator App does allow or 2 bottles of wine per stateroom. No sodas ect. Water must be in cans or cartons.

I plan on bringing one bottle on, and if it is charged the corkage, it wil still be less expensive then what is sold on board with the HAL markup.

The IT department probably is still working from home so they aren’t communicating with each other before making changes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SLC1954 said:

The IT department probably is still working from home so they aren’t communicating with each other before making changes.

Someone in management should be signing off on the changes and information should not be published to a live environment before being vetted by management.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Banditswife said:

We sail Oct 2, 2021 for a 21 day through Panama Canal.  We are just so excited to sail again, I can live with whatever rules set forth.  Just want to cruise.

Does anyone know what brands of soda are offered on board & can I order soda to be delivered to our cabin?

Coca Cola products.

• Like 1

Don't know if this is an appropriate topic for this subject or if a new subject is needed, but let me give this a try.

I am a CPAP user. My CPAP requires distilled water for it's humidifier function. I have always brought along my own distilled water be it for trips on land or on sea. I bring these in plastic containers. Will this be allowed? If not, what options are available on the ship? Can I purchase distilled water on the ship? If so, is distilled water available in various sized containers?  (Obviously, a seven day cruise would not require the same amount as a 14, 21,  etc, cruise)

Edited by jimgev

5 minutes ago, jimgev said:

Don't know if this is an appropriate topic for this subject or if a new subject is needed, but let me give this a try.

I am a CPAP user. My CPAP requires distilled water for it's humidifier function. I have always brought along my own distilled water be it for trips on land or on sea. I bring these in plastic containers. Will this be allowed? If not, what options are available on the ship? Can I purchase distilled water on the ship? If so, is distilled water available in various sized containers?  (Obviously, a seven day cruise would not require the same amount as a 14, 21,  etc, cruise)

Not sure how that will be handled on HAL ships. On Princess you fill out form pre-cruise and they furnish the distilled water and an extension cord. 

9 minutes ago, jimgev said:

am a CPAP user. My CPAP requires distilled water for it's humidifier function.

I purchased a gallon of distilled water through HAL's web site for my August Alaska cruise.  $2.95 per gallon.  It will be delivered to my stateroom.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, kazu said:

I just went to check the google-a-ble HAL cruise contract and this is what it says copied and pasted:

Guests agree not to bring alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages on board for consumption or for any other use except as follows:

• For Guests of legal drinking age, an allowance of two (2) bottles of wine or champagne (750 mL in volume or less) per stateroom may be presented to security during embarkation.
  • For world cruises, or cruises with consecutive voyages, this allowance can be multiplied by the number of segments that comprise the complete sailing. Items for future segments/voyages will be held by the vessel and delivered on the first day of each segment. Guests should present their documentation for any consecutive sailings to security on boarding day.
  • A US $20.00 corkage fee (which is subject to change without notice) will apply to each additional bottle (750 ml in volume or less) beyond the two (2) bottle allowance. Limitations apply. Wine brought in quantities deemed to be excessive by the vessel or security will be refused.
  • Guests are also prohibited from bringing water, sodas and other non-alcoholic beverages on board that are packaged in bottles. A small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages (i.e., sparkling water, sodas, juice, milk) packaged in cans or cartons may be brought on board on embarkation day, only if carried on in Guests’ hand luggage (not in checked luggage). A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 sealed, unopened cans/cartons of 12 ounces each or less per person. Guests will be asked to discard open beverages in plastic containers prior to boarding.

This is exactly what our cruise contract states that we just received for our upcoming September Adriatic cruise.  

The policy of limiting the number of bottles of wine that a passenger is allowed to bring on board is an insult on the passengers.  For lines that cater to a younger party crowd, it may make some sense, while HAL clientele tend t be more mature it is inapplicable.  I am looking at booking a 14 day cruise and will be limited to bring aboard 2 bottles for in cabin use.  Any more than 2 bottles of wine ail be subject to a $20 corkage fee, whether consumed in the cabin or in GDR.  I have not finalized the booking for a 14 day cruise and this immature rule is causing second thoughts about HAL.

4 hours ago, shank63 said:

The policy of limiting the number of bottles of wine that a passenger is allowed to bring on board is an insult on the passengers.  

Interesting, I noticed that you have cruised on NCL, Carnival and Celebrity. All those cruise lines have the same or more restrictive wine carry-on policies. I'm guessing you paid more for your Riviera and Marina cruises and weren't insulted because they covered their costs without having to depend on the wine income stream. Bottom line - all lines are in business to make a profit. Just different ways to get there. Sounds like all-inclusive is much more your style. Stick with what works for you. 

• Like 3

On 7/13/2021 at 6:57 PM, DaveOKC said:

but NO bottles of soda or water.  No plastics.

I wonder what they would say if we wanted to bring on glass bottles of water or soda(yes they are still available... at least in my area)

My son has decided that he will bring a 12pk of soda.  If they do not allow it- he will just leave it at cruise terminal for staff to enjoy.  He would only be out $5-10 if it isn't allowed, but if they let him carry it on he will save &40+.

I do think not allowing soda & water to be carried on is a bit strict considering the demographic of HAL cruisers.  Most are more mature & hopefully responsible.

Edited by Banditswife

2 minutes ago, Banditswife said:

My son has decided that he will bring a 12pk of soda.  If they do not allow it- he will just leave it at cruise terminal for staff to enjoy.  He would only be out $5-10 if it isn't allowed, but if they let him carry it on he will save &40+.

Let us know how he makes out!

4 minutes ago, kazu said:

Let us know how he makes out!

will try to remember, we do not cruise until Oct 2.  We still have the worry of whether they will be able to cross the US border from Canada.  Things are looking better though.  They just got their final vaccine dose last week, while we have had ours since April.