Breeze food options and quality lacking imo.

seaman11

Seaman, as consistently "ok" as Carnival MDR food has been since I've been cruising, can you provide examples of what has gotten worse?  I thought they were already sourcing all their MDR meats and produce from the lowest-cost providers and have a hard time imagining worse quality.  Thanks.

Edited by IntrepidFromDC

5 hours ago, firefly333 said:

You may be disappointed then if your expectations are what you experienced with a single ship restarting pre covid.,

Every thread says dinner service is slow, some flaws to steak house, etc. Personally I'm in the group, just restart as best you can. Get me on the ocean. 

It wasn't pre-covid. It was post covid on June 5 2021. And as bad as I want to cruise I will eat Guy's burgers if I have to as long as the drinks keep flowing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hurricane0226 said:

I sailed on aircraft carriers, so food on the cruise ships are what we dreamed on when we were on deployments, lol.

Strange that. I never had better food than in my time in the Belgian Navy. Steak, shrimp, even unlimited lobster from time to time, and the occasional deck BBQ! Fresh cakes in the afternoon etc etc... One of the most important factors is food to maintain crew morale. I would expect an aircraft carrier to serve VERY good  and nutricious food

Just now, Despegue said:

Strange that. I never had better food than in my time in the Belgian Navy. Steak, shrimp, even unlimited lobster from time to time, and the occasional deck BBQ! Fresh cakes in the afternoon etc etc... One of the most important factors is food to maintain crew morale. I would expect an aircraft carrier to serve VERY good  and nutricious food

Not on U.S. Aircraft carriers, many meals of red death.

• Haha 1

I’m on the Breeze now. The first night in dining room was slow but after that it got better. People were complaining and being super rude to the wait staff. I was just so grateful to be on a cruise that I didn’t care!! On the second night we found the amazing wait staff team of Russell and Michael. I went to the desk after dinner and raved about them. They asked if I wanted to be seated with them the rest of the cruise and I said yes. Next night I checked in my app and they assigned me a table in the phenomenal wait staff team!! It was incredible. They knew us by name and our preferences. In my opinion it only took them a night or two to find their stride again. It’s been amazing to get back cruising!!! Woohoo!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hurricane0226 said:

I sailed on aircraft carriers, so food on the cruise ships are what we dreamed on when we were on deployments, lol.

I lived in a tent and foxhole, so food on an aircraft carrier are what we dreamed of when we were on deployments, lol. Besides, everybody knows food in the Navy, is the best service food they have to offer. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Joe817 said:

I lived in a tent and foxhole, so food on an aircraft carrier are what we dreamed of when we were on deployments, lol. Besides, everybody knows food in the Navy, is the best service food they have to offer. 

The Navy gets the gravy and the Army gets the beans, the beans, beans...

• Haha 1

Interesting reading these comments.  As tallyho8 mentioned above, I have read nothing but great things from the Celebrity cruises so far.  And the Royal board is full of excellent live trip reports from the Adventure where people are raving about how great the service, food, entertainment, etc. has been on their cruises.  Part of that may be that both of those lines have been running around 30% of capacity and have crew numbers that they normally carry for full ships.  Maybe Carnival stretched to higher numbers too quickly? 

On 7/18/2021 at 11:27 AM, sailingships said:

In the past Ive been spoiled I guess Usually out of the MDR in one hour. Did you do the 6PM or 8.15 dinner time?

Wow.  That is fast.  We soak up the entire 2 hours in there - always.  lol

On 7/18/2021 at 10:18 AM, crazy4themouse said:

I don't think I would care of I had to go back into the kitchen and cook dinner for myself

Facts!  haha  I'd gladly cook my own dinner since we're leaving the picky a** kids at home in November, so I could make what I want!!

• Haha 1

My TA just got off a B2B on Horizon.  She was posting quite a bit on another site and I don't recall her saying anything about slow service or poor food.

Every cruise is different.  People in neighboring cabins can have very different perceptions of the same cruise.  So much of it is chance and the choices that different people make.

But, yeah, I would expect some of these sailings to have will be bumps and issues to work out.

I know everyone loves them, but I'm not a fan of Guy's Burgers.  Too often they're terribly charred.  I don't want a burger that tastes like charcoal.  And the fries are often way too salty, which is a shame.  When they aren't, they're great.  I'll opt for a taco salad or shrimp and chicken burrito.  Or a deli sandwich.  Maybe both! 😁

I was also on the Breeze last week.  Overall we were super impressed (this was our 13th Carnival Cruise).  No, it wasn't perfect, but Carnival is doing WAY better than Southwest and ground transportation (Uber/taxis) at this point.

Yes, there were some bugs to work out, but we expected it.  They asked to be patient, and from what I could see, most people were.  

Yes, the some of the slot machines were not working, but I don't spend all that much time there so it didn't bother me.  I could always get a machine if I wanted one.

I would not have guessed the ship was at 75% capacity, I would say closer to 50% - 60% and it was heaven.  No crowds, very pleasant and relaxing, lots of quiet seclusion if you wanted it, but fun loud pool parties as well.

Yes, there were some issues with the app (and anytime dining check-in) but it got better each day.  None of us were going to starve.

I thought the food was good (as always) but I'm not a foodie.  I got my favorite meals (from the past) in the dining room and went to the buffet one evening.  Fresh fruit at the buffet was so good.  Loved the Wok.  Guys was as fantastic as ever, and never more than 2 people in line in front of me.  Pizza was super popular.  I didn't try the specialty restaurants (I typically don't).

There were no problems with our account, no unexpected charges.

This was the first time we tried the intranet $5 "chat" feature (was it available before?) and loved it, but I have a teenager to keep track of.

Yes, the masks in the ports are kind of a pain, but I've been to Hawaii and Disney World twice during the pandemic and it was just as bad wearing them EVERYWHERE back then.  We chose to spend most of our time on the ship, so it was fine.

We were impressed with the shows.  There was a minor technical issue during the first one we saw, but they handled it perfectly, and got right back on track.  Nobody cared from what I could tell.  Everybody seemed to love "88 Keys" (standing ovation) and the piano bar was really popular.

The CD, Cookie, did a question and answer presentation, and it was very interesting.

He explained how they have been on "stand-by" like the rest of us the past year.  They'd get all excited to go back to work, only to get cancelled.  When they did finally get "called up", they had 72 hours to pack and report to the ship.  

Compared to the nightmare of getting to/from Galveston (flight cancelled, luggage lost, no Ubers/Taxis available) the cruise was phenomenal by comparison. 😀

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2021 at 11:06 PM, hgalls56 said:

I’m on the Breeze now. The first night in dining room was slow but after that it got better. People were complaining and being super rude to the wait staff. I was just so grateful to be on a cruise that I didn’t care!! On the second night we found the amazing wait staff team of Russell and Michael. I went to the desk after dinner and raved about them. They asked if I wanted to be seated with them the rest of the cruise and I said yes. Next night I checked in my app and they assigned me a table in the phenomenal wait staff team!! It was incredible. They knew us by name and our preferences. In my opinion it only took them a night or two to find their stride again. It’s been amazing to get back cruising!!! Woohoo!

Was your Russell from India?  If it is the same one that I've had (twice), he is the best waiter. His customer service is exemplary.  I hope that I would have him for a waiter again!  Would you happen to have a picture of the waiter?

On 7/18/2021 at 8:53 PM, hurricane0226 said:

I did two 5.5 month long deployments to Central America in the 80’s. We had a mixture of old canned c-rations & first gen freeze dried MRE’s. 

Edited by Retiredmedic
  • Like 1

On 7/30/2021 at 4:04 PM, funinthesun1964 said:

Was your Russell from India?  If it is the same one that I've had (twice), he is the best waiter. His customer service is exemplary.  I hope that I would have him for a waiter again!  Would you happen to have a picture of the waiter?

He was from Indonesia so not the same. Very short guy. If you’re on the Breeze in YTD then definitely request his team!