U.S. appeals court lifts CDC cruise ship restrictions in win for Florida

bluesman0711

11 minutes ago, bluesman0711 said:

The lawsuit continues to be irrelevant.

Cruise Lines International Association, a trade group, did not indicate on Friday whether it supported Florida'a legal challenge, but said before the appeals court order that cruise ships will continue to operate in accordance with the CDC requirements.

8 minutes ago, hammer76 said:

If Carnival was to change the protocols from what they have stated, we are gone from them.

I do not think Carnival will change anything quickly, but there would be just as many who start cruising as those who leave due to more lenient policies. If they dropped the vaccine requirement, I would cruise this month. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, hammer76 said:

If Carnival was to change the protocols from what they have stated, we are gone from them.

A LOT of people have claimed similar. They would quickly revert back after being hammered with cancellations. People are still skittish about cruising safely and all this negative variant news is only reinforcing that caution. I highly doubt they would.  

Edited by cruisingguy007
  • Like 1

Everything is subject to change hourly at this point.  I would hope that they follow the protocols they have already announced for the cruises and make any changes on cruises that they have not announced yet.  In other words, do what they have already said they were going to do.  However, I am uncertain if they can do that in Florida.  They have taken the position that they are not refusing service, but that the ship had a Federally enforced limited on unvaccinated travelers.  Now that there is no enforceable rule, I am not sure they can still take that position.  Honestly, none of this is good for the industry.  What would be good is to make some rules and stick to them until a certain time when they would change, but that would be announced ahead of time.  Consistency and predictability would be much better than this mess. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, asalligo said:

I do not think Carnival will change anything quickly, but there would be just as many who start cruising as those who leave due to more lenient policies. If they dropped the vaccine requirement, I would cruise this month. 

I'd take that bet! Not even close. Covid cruise lines would be like watching a slow motion train wreck. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

People are still skittish about cruising safely and all this negative variant news is only reinforcing that caution. I highly doubt they would.  

Some (people).  There are others who it wouldn't bother.

Edited by Lee Cruiser
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Lee Cruiser said:

It might force their hand with the Florida law.  We'll have to wait and see.

Covid cruises in FL and vaccinated cruises everywhere else? That would be a interesting scenario and a wealth of information opportunity. Part of me secretly hopes FL gets exactly what it wants, just for grins and giggles. There is enough space for both products. 

Just now, cruisingguy007 said:

Covid cruises in FL and vaccinated cruises everywhere else? That would be a interesting scenario and a wealth of information opportunity. Part of me secretly hopes FL gets exactly what it wants, just for grins and giggles. There is enough space for both products. 

This certainly makes the NCL lawsuit more interesting.

The appeals court ruling came soon after the state of Florida had filed an emergency petition with the Supreme Court asking the high court to lift the appeals court order, warning that without action the state was "all but guaranteed to lose yet another summer cruise season while the CDC pursues its appeal," the state said in its filing to the Supreme Court.

This really doesn't make sense, since there are already cruises going out of Florida and more coming soon under the CDC guidelines.

Edited by Lee Cruiser

This is very good news for the cruise lines.  Now, they are free to decide for themselves how best to run their own businesses and use the CDC's rules as guidance.  They can operate without the fear of the industry being shut down and destroyed by the CDC's ridiculous prior mandates.  The cruise stocks should start rising again.

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Covid cruises in FL and vaccinated cruises everywhere else?

in the rational past as soon as one state won an argument with the federal government the rest of the states were like dominos. But these are certainly not rational times we live in.

4 minutes ago, Lee Cruiser said:

This certainly makes the NCL lawsuit more interesting.

It certainly is at opposites with the law and intent of the law in Florida. I see that going all the way up to the Supreme Court by whichever party loses unless something changes enough for one side to change their mind.

8 minutes ago, Lee Cruiser said:

The appeals court ruling came soon after the state of Florida had filed an emergency petition with the Supreme Court asking the high court to lift the appeals court order, warning that without action the This really doesn't make sense, since there are already cruises going out of Florida and more coming soon under the CDC guidelines.

10 minutes ago, Lee Cruiser said:

This really doesn't make sense, since there are already cruises going out of Florida and more coming soon under the CDC guidelines.

Right? Unless there are discussions that we are not privy to. But then again these are not rational times we live in. lol

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MrMarc said:

Everything is subject to change hourly at this point.  I would hope that they follow the protocols they have already announced for the cruises and make any changes on cruises that they have not announced yet.  In other words, do what they have already said they were going to do.  However, I am uncertain if they can do that in Florida.  They have taken the position that they are not refusing service, but that the ship had a Federally enforced limited on unvaccinated travelers.  Now that there is no enforceable rule, I am not sure they can still take that position.  Honestly, none of this is good for the industry.  What would be good is to make some rules and stick to them until a certain time when they would change, but that would be announced ahead of time.  Consistency and predictability would be much better than this mess. 

This is the most spot on response ive seen. Exactly! All cruise lines have way to much riding on this restart. So far the restart has gone exceptionally well on all accounts. Why rush to change anything and risk getting shut down again? From the statement Carnival put out, it seems like everything will remain the same until at least the end of Oct. That being said, everything does change all the time. We have a cruise booked for 9/27 and im totally prepared to have to deal with the restrictions. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

This is very good news for the cruise lines.  Now, they are free to decide for themselves how best to run their own businesses and use the CDC's rules as guidance.  They can operate without the fear of the industry being shut down and destroyed by the CDC's ridiculous prior mandates.  The cruise stocks should start rising again.

It would be interesting if some of the lines pushed ahead with unvaccinated cruises out of FL and possibly TX and then ran vaccinated cruises out of all the other ports. It would be an aggressive move that may please some investors but others will see it as risky. It's interesting actually because the vaccinated cruises could act as an insurance policy for unvaccinated cruises.

Meaning if the unvaccinated cruises go bad, the vaccinated cruises will still continue and they could simply revert the unvaccinated cruises back to vaccinated cruises and say "see we tried". This could be a great opportunity to run two products and let the market and fate decide. That's an exciting proposition to greedy investors who always demand more profit and risk.    

Edited by cruisingguy007
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

The lawsuit continues to be irrelevant.

Cruise Lines International Association, a trade group, did not indicate on Friday whether it supported Florida'a legal challenge, but said before the appeals court order that cruise ships will continue to operate in accordance with the CDC requirements.

Of course it is relevant, it continues to confirm the CDC overstepped and acted outside their boundaries.  It sets precedent for the future. 

• Like 9