Now Celebrity is requiring negative COVID-19 test regardless of vax status

jruben18

Just received this regarding my 8/14 sailing.

Royal Caribbean

ABOUT YOUR UPCOMING TRAVELS

Dear Guest,

We look forward to welcoming you aboard Celebrity Edge® for your 7-Night Caribbean sailing from Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Before we depart, we have some important information to share regarding our Health and Safety Protocols. Celebrity Cruises has been working closely with health and government authorities, in each country we sail from, to outline a clear path for cruising with new health and safety measures. As we return to service, we are continuously evaluating all requirements from local government and health officials. Out of an abundance of caution, Celebrity Cruises will be enhancing COVID-19 testing requirements for both vaccinated and unvaccinated guests.

All guests over the age two, regardless of vaccination status, will now be required to present a negative COVID-19 test result at the time of embarkation. This test may be taken as either a PCR test or an Antigen test, conducted within 72 hours of embarkation. Each guest is responsible for making their own arrangements with an accredited testing provider as well as all associated costs.

Unvaccinated guests and children, under 12 years of age, will be required to take an additional antigen test at the terminal prior to embarkation, mid-cruise and on the day before disembarkation. A registration link for required testing will be sent separately.

Should a guest be unable to complete the testing requirements, a 100% refund or Future Cruise Credit will be offered. Additional testing and protocols will be confirmed closer to your sailing departure date in line with the most up to date recommendations from local government and health officials as well as our Healthy Sail Panel. These measures, including vaccination and testing requirements, will evolve along with public health standards.

Celebrity Edge will sail with a vaccinated crew, and at least 95% of guests fully vaccinated. Guests 12 years and older must be fully vaccinated with all COVID-19 vaccine doses administered at least 14 days prior to sailing.  Guests who decline or are unable to show proof of vaccination at boarding will be treated as unvaccinated and subject to additional protocols, restrictions, and costs for COVID-19 testing. For details on our current health and safety protocols please visit  https://www.healthyatsea.com. We’re sailing with fewer guests for more space – and more luxury with even more activities to avoid large gatherings in public spaces.

We apologize for any inconvenience these changes may cause. We're confident they will deliver a more satisfying vacation experience. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Celebrity Cruises at 1-844-418-6824 in North America or (316) 554-5961 worldwide.

Just got this for our Alaska cruise on Millennium also.  Ugh!  I guess I prefer a very cautious approach but those of us flying in a couple days before, potentially in hotels without cars, may really find this a challenge!  I thought I would not have to worry about this being fully vaccinated, but now we join the ranks of the non-vaccinated scrambling for quick turn-around tests.

3 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Just got this for our Alaska cruise on Millennium also.  Ugh!  I guess I prefer a very cautious approach but those of us flying in a couple days before, potentially in hotels without cars, may really find this a challenge!  I thought I would not have to worry about this being fully vaccinated, but now we join the ranks of the non-vaccinated scrambling for quick turn-around tests.

The ships will be a safe harbor with the 95% vax rates and the documentation of no antigen before boarding. I am ready to sail again after a long wait. Small price to pay.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jruben18 said:

The ships will be a safe harbor with the 95% vax rates and the documentation of no antigen before boarding. I am ready to sail again after a long wait. Small price to pay.

Safer, but someone could well test negative three days before the cruise, spend a day or two in a COVID hotspot like Fort Lauderdale before embarking, then become symptomatic mid-cruise. I applaud the move to have everyone tested, but with the highly contagious delta variant, there will continue to be cases aboard.

• Like 2

Not talking specifically about cruises here, but there is little incentive for those who are unvaccinated to get it if masks and all the hoops return.  Assume they still want 95% to be vaccinated on X ships though.  

Edited by blueboro

And I received this for our sailing on Sunday. They will provide the test at no charge.

Dear Guest,

We look forward to welcoming you aboard Celebrity Equinox® for your 7-Night Caribbean sailing from Fort Lauderdale, Florida, Sunday, August 1. Before we depart, we have some important information to share regarding our Health and Safety Protocols. Out of an abundance of caution, Celebrity Cruises will be enhancing COVID-19 testing requirements for both vaccinated and unvaccinated guests.

All guests, regardless of vaccination status, will be required to take an antigen test at the terminal prior to embarkation. This will be a complimentary rapid test and results will be available within 30 minutes.

If you are able to provide negative test results, from an antigen test taken within 48 hours of embarkation, you will not be required to take an additional test at the pier. Proof of a negative result will significantly expedite your check-in and boarding process. Should you receive a positive test result or be unable to complete the testing requirements, a 100% refund or Future Cruise Credit will be offered.

Celebrity Equinox will sail with a vaccinated crew, and at least 95% of guests fully vaccinated. Guests 12 years and older must be fully vaccinated with all COVID-19 vaccine doses administered at least 14 days prior to sailing. Guests who decline or are unable to show proof of vaccination at boarding will be treated as unvaccinated and subject to additional protocols, restrictions, and costs for COVID-19 testing. For details on our current health and safety protocols please visit  https://www.healthyatsea.com. We’re sailing with fewer guests for more space – and more luxury with even more activities to avoid large gatherings in public spaces.

Thank you for your patience and understanding. The health and safety of everyone onboard is our number one priority. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Celebrity Cruises at 1-844-418-6824 in North America or (316) 554-5961 worldwide. We look forward to providing you an amazing Celebrity Cruises vacation.

Sincerely,

Celebrity Cruises

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

This is my exact problem. My flight lands 70 hours before my time to embark, so now I have to find a place in Fort Lauderdale to do a rapid antigen test. I couldn’t get a straight answer if I could have this done at the testing site at FLL. A news article from months ago says the test are for those with flights in the area. I will not be renting a car and why should I have to do an Uber for drive thru testing when I can simply walk to CVS from my hotel. What a pain! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Heather1972 said:

This is my exact problem. My flight lands 70 hours before my time to embark, so now I have to find a place in Fort Lauderdale....  I will not be renting a car and why should I have to do an Uber for drive thru testing when I can simply walk to CVS from my hotel. What a pain! 

Can you call ahead to arrange a test for en route from the airport to your hotel, assuming you are Ubering?

Question for anyone who has had one of these test.   What is the cost of the test (range is fine).   I've had a couple done prior to medical procedure but they were covered by my health car provider.

1 hour ago, Heather1972 said:

This is my exact problem. My flight lands 70 hours before my time to embark, so now I have to find a place in Fort Lauderdale to do a rapid antigen test. I couldn’t get a straight answer if I could have this done at the testing site at FLL. A news article from months ago says the test are for those with flights in the area. I will not be renting a car and why should I have to do an Uber for drive thru testing when I can simply walk to CVS from my hotel. What a pain! 

I'm sure if you post the hotel you are staying out many will give you recommendations.    I was just checking and my Insurance Provider (Kaiser) say I can either have it done at one of their drive through sites or any site like CVS, Walgreen etc.

2 hours ago, Locobill49 said:

Are there any Covid test sites in downtown Seattle? Has anyone received notice of being offered the complementary Covid test for Alaskan cruises?

I saw a test station before security at Millennium boarding today and a sign said "Results available within 40 minutes". There was a sign at the airport too and I'm 100% sure there are plenty of options to get tested in Downtown Seattle.

5 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

Sounds like I dodged a bullet by going today. But can anyone elaborate why they even had a Covid test station in the boarding area today? Why do people need to get tested for this cruise, I thought this sailing is 100% vaccinated?! Officially confused...

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

I'm sure if you post the hotel you are staying out many will give you recommendations.    I was just checking and my Insurance Provider (Kaiser) say I can either have it done at one of their drive through sites or any site like CVS, Walgreen etc.

Your insurer provides/covers testing for travel purposes (or a test with a certificate used for that purpose)??

Just now, Fly and Sail said:

Sounds like I dodged a bullet by going today. But can anyone elaborate why they even had a Covid test station in the boarding area today? Why do people need to get tested for this cruise, I thought this sailing is 100% vaccinated?! Officially confused...

Probably there have been vaccinated passengers on the ship testing positive. Royal announce that they had 6 positives , 4 of them vaccinated and not all traveling together 

2 minutes ago, kelib said:

Probably there have been vaccinated passengers on the ship testing positive. Royal announce that they had 6 positives , 4 of them vaccinated and not all traveling together 

But when would they have tested positive? And why? This was upon boarding. Celebrity protocol for Alaska sailings is anyone has to be vaccinated. I asked three people now and nobody could/would tell what that was for. Will push for a more definitive answer later at some point.

9 minutes ago, Fly and Sail said:

Simple. Kids under 16 would still test at the terminal before boarding. 

4 minutes ago, Fly and Sail said:

But when would they have tested positive? And why? This was upon boarding. Celebrity protocol for Alaska sailings is anyone has to be vaccinated. I asked three people now and nobody could/would tell what that was for. Will push for a more definitive answer later at some point.

These were for a cruise out of Nassau and were for routine debarkation. Means they either got it just before they got on or during the cruise itself 

Edited by kelib
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Question for anyone who has had one of these test.   What is the cost of the test (range is fine).   I've had a couple done prior to medical procedure but they were covered by my health car provider.

If you’re insured, they shouldn’t cost you anything. 

14 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

CVS will schedule you at no cost if you attest you are testing to comply with travel requirements.    https://www.cvs.com/minuteclinic/covid-19-testing

Edited by marieps

One also wonders just how long insurance companies will continue testing people for free, without symptoms and for travel purposes.  Hopefully, it will continue that way - I guess as long as the government requires it.  

One of my big issues now is that I have a 'continuous cruise" in November/December.  Meaning, off one X ship and onto another for the next cruise.  How in the heck do I get a test?  Hopefully Celebrity can help me out without requiring me to pay big $$.  I could try calling and asking but we all know the reps won't have a clue and no matter what they tell me that doesn't mean it will be followed at the pier.

3 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

One also wonders just how long insurance companies will continue testing people for free, without symptoms and for travel purposes.  Hopefully, it will continue that way - I guess as long as the government requires it.  

One of my big issues now is that I have a 'continuous cruise" in November/December.  Meaning, off one X ship and onto another for the next cruise.  How in the heck do I get a test?  Hopefully Celebrity can help me out without requiring me to pay big $$.  I could try calling and asking but we all know the reps won't have a clue and no matter what they tell me that doesn't mean it will be followed at the pier.

It's impossible to know what the process will be in 4 months but I would be 1000% confident that Celebrity will help you out and make sure you have the appropriate steps completed to board the second cruise. I would say the absolute worst case scenario would be you would have to pay out of pocket for a test onboard or at the terminal for the second cruise. Using today's guidelines if they considered you a B2B guest, even though you technically aren't, they would provide the test. 

• Like 1