Live from the Majestic Princess at last! August 1 2021 to Alaska

pkt1976

To the current cruisers posting from the Majestic Princess: We are grateful for any and all posts you choose to graciously choose to share with us on your vacation. Your posts allow for a vicariously splendid virtual cruise that whets our appetite for our upcoming cruise.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Me too! Would love to hear from OP pkt1976.

Yes/No winner!

Hope you are all having a wonderful time enjoying everything in Alaska and on-board. The scenic pics that we have seen are really showing how pristine Alaska is now that the state has had the break from ALL the ships for a year. Truly a treasure for you to be there, early into the restart of cruising.

• Like 3

Thanks for reporting on the number of days for the Top 40. That is high for Alaska. I doubt that I'll make it in two weeks unless a lot of Elites cancel due to the new restrictions. It would be interesting to know how many Elite and Platinum passengers are on board if the Captain's Circle host announced it last night at one of the parties. 

14 hours ago, pms4104 said:

The Majestic will be in Ketchikan Friday/tomorrow?

Pls be aware that a flightseeing plane went down today in or near Misty Fiords ... no survivors.  Pilot plus 5 pax off HALs Nieuw Amsterdam.

Likely impact mood in town and maybe some shore ex.

There is info on HAL board as well as via Google.

That's so sad.  Unfortunately, my 4 years in Alaska saw many small planes go down.  The winds around the mountains and glaciers can be very unpredictable.  Prayers for the family and the passengers on the ship!

1 hour ago, geoherb said:

Thanks for reporting on the number of days for the Top 40. That is high for Alaska. I doubt that I'll make it in two weeks unless a lot of Elites cancel due to the new restrictions. It would be interesting to know how many Elite and Platinum passengers are on board if the Captain's Circle host announced it last night at one of the parties. 

Under normal circumstances I would agree this number is high.  I remember making the top 40 in Alaska with just over 150 days.  However with a suspension of cruising for over a year many long term cruisers have been anxious to get on board any ship thus the high number of days required.

Good morning from Ketchikan!! The weather today is 55 degrees and overcast. It rained this morning but things have dried out. Last night Hubby and I had the Chefs Table and it did not disappoint!!! The food was out of this world!!! That dessert was so beautiful, and the ice cream with the vodka topping was insanely good!!! The dinner took us to another world!!! The Chef and MD were fantastic hosts and they truly made the dinner something special!!

When in Ketchikan they open 2 decks for people to get off the ship. Most people line up on deck 6 and this morning was no different. The line was wrapped around the bar and down the hall to the Vista Lounge. We ran down to deck 5 and were out the door in 10 seconds! 

Today we meandered into town to our favorite places. We skipped suite breakfast this morning as our first stop was Alaska Crepe Company. This place is amazing!!! I got the Blueberry Creme crepe and Hubby got the Black Forest crepe (chocolate/raspberry). We have been waiting 2 years for these!!! They are so good!!! 

From there we wandered over to Blasphemous Bills. We love this place. The owner, Lincoln, was very welcoming and excited to see people! Everything there is Alaska made and we picked up several of our favorite things! Try the birch caramels!!! 

We went from there to find me a flat iron. Mine broke 10 min before the Chefs Table. Ugghhh. We went to 3 places but finally found one at Tongass Trading Co of all places! We were about to grab the bus to Walmart when Hubby suggested this. This place has an awesome travel area and we were shocked by what they carry! We will definitely keep that in mind for future trips. 

We are about to head out for more exploring. Tonight we have the Winemakers Dinner and I will post pics from that as well! 

20210805_232840.jpg

20210805_232848.jpg

20210805_193821.jpg

20210805_200013.jpg

20210805_202300.jpg

20210805_205510.jpg

20210805_211550.jpg

20210805_211655.jpg

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, geoherb said:

Thanks for posting the photos of the Chef's Table. It looks wonderful. And I'm happy to see that the chef did something different this week from last week. 

Yes. The Chefs Table the night before was also different. They change the menu every single time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

Thanks for the information about Ketchikan, I appreciate it. 

Do you remember what deck you disembarked in Juneau?  Also, were they using two decks to disembark or just the one.  Thank you.

Juneau was deck 6. I don't remember if they had 2 going or not. We went into town later than everyone else.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, CruiseChick33 said:

Good morning from Ketchikan!! The weather today is 55 degrees and overcast. It rained this morning but things have dried out. Last night Hubby and I had the Chefs Table and it did not disappoint!!! The food was out of this world!!! That dessert was so beautiful, and the ice cream with the vodka topping was insanely good!!! The dinner took us to another world!!! The Chef and MD were fantastic hosts and they truly made the dinner something special!!

When in Ketchikan they open 2 decks for people to get off the ship. Most people line up on deck 6 and this morning was no different. The line was wrapped around the bar and down the hall to the Vista Lounge. We ran down to deck 5 and were out the door in 10 seconds! 

Today we meandered into town to our favorite places. We skipped suite breakfast this morning as our first stop was Alaska Crepe Company. This place is amazing!!! I got the Blueberry Creme crepe and Hubby got the Black Forest crepe (chocolate/raspberry). We have been waiting 2 years for these!!! They are so good!!! 

From there we wandered over to Blasphemous Bills. We love this place. The owner, Lincoln, was very welcoming and excited to see people! Everything there is Alaska made and we picked up several of our favorite things! Try the birch caramels!!! 

We went from there to find me a flat iron. Mine broke 10 min before the Chefs Table. Ugghhh. We went to 3 places but finally found one at Tongass Trading Co of all places! We were about to grab the bus to Walmart when Hubby suggested this. This place has an awesome travel area and we were shocked by what they carry! We will definitely keep that in mind for future trips. 

We are about to head out for more exploring. Tonight we have the Winemakers Dinner and I will post pics from that as well! 

20210805_232840.jpg

20210805_232848.jpg

20210805_193821.jpg

20210805_200013.jpg

20210805_202300.jpg

20210805_205510.jpg

20210805_211550.jpg

20210805_211655.jpg

We are on the Aug. 15th cruise. Did you sign up for the Chef's Table when you got onboard??

• Like 1

4 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

That's high for an Alaska cruise.  I've qualified for three past MTP events on Alaska cruises and I'm sitting at 300 days now.  These cruises tend to draw newbie cruisers and other than a cruise from Singapore, I've never come close to qualifying. 

Interesting. A couple of years ago I did a cruise out of Singapore and did not expect to be near the top, and actually ended up # 3 with about 500 days at the time. #1 and #2 were both staying aboard for another 3-4 months !!! I'm on the Majestic in 10 days

1 hour ago, CruiseChick33 said:

Tonight we have the Winemakers Dinner and I will post pics from that as well! 

Hope that you’ll enjoy the WM Dinner as much as have on all of our Royal-Class cruises. 😋

It won’t be the CT’s extravaganza but it’s been a higher quality of food than at Crown Grill & for $11 more it also includes free flowing wine. 🍷 Each time service has also been excellent. 😊

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CruiseChick33 said:

20210805_232840.jpg

20210805_232848.jpg

20210805_193821.jpg

20210805_200013.jpg

20210805_202300.jpg

20210805_205510.jpg

20210805_211550.jpg

20210805_211655.jpg

I have melted! (Yes, especially at the dessert)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, USCcruisecrazy said:

That's so sad.  Unfortunately, my 4 years in Alaska saw many small planes go down.  The winds around the mountains and glaciers can be very unpredictable.  Prayers for the family and the passengers on the ship!

So shocking.  My heart sank when I read about it.  Very tragic.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Melonn said:

Unless you have a HUGE appetite, you will be full after the appetizers so you could skip the meat.  I have only eaten a fraction of what they serve. 

Exactly why we will never take part in the Chef's Table.

20 hours ago, UT-Volsfan said:

Just received chocolate dipped strawberries in our cabin before we get ready to go to the Captain's Circle reception (it is the 2nd formal night).  Have not seen the strawberries available to the Elite members as the complementary canapes in a few years.  Did not get a form to select which canapes we want for either formal night; they are choosing what to deliver.

Having read so many stories where folks no longer ask for the canapes due to getting stuff they described as "nasty" I'm surprised to be reading that folks here have requested the canapes. Now if one had a choice and could get the strawberries every time I would definitely be interested.

• Like 1

I would like for someone on board to post a copy of the regular dinner menu for tonight (Friday) and tomorrow.  Neither of these were posted on the July 25 live from thread.  Thank you for all information each of you has contributed to this new season of cruising in Alaska.  Kathy 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, c-boy said:

🤨 not me, I was in tune with the original author of this thread. Where is she , did she miss boarding the ship ? 

In one of her initial posts someone mentioned how much she might post. She answered that it depended on how bored she got. Apparently, she is anything but bored.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Exactly why we will never take part in the Chef's Table.

They actually lowered the amount of food on this one compared to my last Chefs Table. It was by far focused on depth of flavor, and creativity, rather than large portions. I'm a petite woman with a smaller appetite, and I was able to eat most of it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

Hope that you’ll enjoy the WM Dinner as much as have on all of our Royal-Class cruises. 😋

It won’t be the CT’s extravaganza but it’s been a higher quality of food than at Crown Grill & for $11 more it also includes free flowing wine. 🍷 Each time service has also been excellent. 😊

Thank you! We have never done the WM so we are extremely excited about it!!!

• Like 1

@CruiseChick33thanks for the menu and pics of CT. Fabrizio and Neville definitely have some pent up ideas. Those are really amazing!  Idk how they do it. Neville told us he hosted CT like affairs at home during the pause as he missed them so much. They really get to show off their flair and take great pride in the meal and experience provided. 

Edited by HaveDogWillTravel
  • Like 3

Several of us on our Roll Call remember an Alaskan cruise where they put blankets in every room to use on the balcony or glacier day rather than the usual beach towel.  Did they do that for this August 1 cruise? Trying to decide whether to bring a down throw with me.