Live from Majestic Princess - August 15, 2021

WAussieSFO

Today is the first day that those of us boarding the beautiful Majestic Princess on Sunday could get a Covid test, so thought it would be a good idea to start this thread now.

After the panic subsided when we first found out that a negative test was required to board the ship I was able to get appointments for a Rapid Antigen, medically supervised self test with CVS/Minute Clinic just a couple of miles from home.  There was no charge for the test, although I'm sure our insurance will be billed for it. My DH and I both tested negative and received a phone call with the result approximately 40 long minutes after taking it. Now just waiting to receive an email with the result to provide when boarding.

I hope that others on our roll call will post their experiences and answer questions where possible.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for starting this thread.  I hope you are able to have the same wonderful travels as all the others have before you.  The only difference will be your pre-test COVID experience.  We will all be looking forward to reading how this goes for all of you.

• Like 2

With you on this cruise and we had our test today also at a Minute Clinic. Got our results within 45 minutes and results came via text and e-mail. No phone call although we were told we would get one.  Anyway, have printed the text and the email so we should be good to go.  Thank you for starting this "live from".  Looking forward to a really fun cruise.  It's been awhile!!

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, sfkaren said:

Today is the first day that those of us boarding the beautiful Majestic Princess on Sunday could get a Covid test, so thought it would be a good idea to start this thread now.

After the panic subsided when we first found out that a negative test was required to board the ship I was able to get appointments for a Rapid Antigen, medically supervised self test with CVS/Minute Clinic just a couple of miles from home.  There was no charge for the test, although I'm sure our insurance will be billed for it. My DH and I both tested negative and received a phone call with the result approximately 40 long minutes after taking it. Now just waiting to receive an email with the result to provide when boarding.

I hope that others on our roll call will post their experiences and answer questions where possible.

Same thing for me. Scheduled a COVID test at a CVS Minute Clinic this evening. Got a call about an hour later with that the results were negative. They also sent a link via text and email that shows the test results. No charge for the test. 

• Like 6

Same here -- CVS Minute Clinic (I also booked county 9:45am tomorrow for rapid PCR in case this was inconclusive). I'm negative. Off to pack for Koda & myself. We're both going on vacation in 36 hrs to different coastlines

I'm looking forward to music, Vines, & if they still handle food allergies as well as they used to. 

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 6

Hello All - Yes, I am ready to rock and roll (have you read 8/8 live - they are experiencing very rough seas tonight and may therefore be late getting into Ketchikan)  I took Covid test today (Thursday) around 2pm and received phone call with negative results about 1 hour later.  The email followed within a few minutes.  I've pinned it and copied it and I hope all of that is good enough to go.  I'm flying into a hot Seattle tomorrow. Probably going to art museum on Saturday and then looking forward to seeing your smiling faces/masks on Sunday.  Woohoo!

• Like 4

Congratulations to all of you!  It is very smoky in western Washington right now, so be prepared with allergy meds, eye drops, and indoor plans. It is expected to clear up with the cooler weather on Sunday.

• Like 1

Thanks for the smoke info  ... unfortunately it'll feel like the SF Bay Area

Initially I was stressed over the test. Both finding one and the experience.  It was nothing. And some places to search for one are:

> CVS Minute Clinic 

> Walgreens

> Walmart

> local health departments 

> International airports

> even private labs

Princess has been really broad about the type especially since many areas are now up to 6 days processing time for a PCR test under $250. 

All in all I was worried for nothing

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 5

@Astro Flyeryes. Its the 1st question on the screening form so the NP at Minute Clinic knew it was for travel. She even told me that it might not be accepted as it was the antigen test. I know of 5 of us that tested at that site today 

@trbartonI was told that a digital copy of my state covid record would be acceptable but that I needed the CDC card. I can offer my CA Digital record 1st (oh yeah, I uploaded that)

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

CVS questions:

Are you seeking a test to prevent possible spread of COVID-19 for future travel, work or recreation (according to CDC guidelines)?
O Yes    O No

Are you seeking a test to prevent possible spread of COVID-19 after being at a place where social distancing was not possible? 
O  Yes    O  No

Have you had close contact with someone with a confirmed case of COVID-19? 

O  Yes    O  No

That's pretty broad (travel, work, or recreation).  BTW...there should have been a common after work.  And of course....you are seeking to prevent possible spread.  

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

That's pretty broad (travel, work, or recreation).  BTW...there should have been a common after work.  And of course....you are seeking to prevent possible spread.  

Not how I read it. As travel can be due to work or recreation

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

CVS questions:

Are you seeking a test to prevent possible spread of COVID-19 for future travel, work or recreation (according to CDC guidelines)?
O Yes    O No

Are you seeking a test to prevent possible spread of COVID-19 after being at a place where social distancing was not possible? 
O  Yes    O  No

O  Yes    O  No

Walgreens asked the same questions

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

CVS questions:

O Yes    O No

O  Yes    O  No

O  Yes    O  No

The comma is optional. It's absence doesn't create any ambiguity for me. When I signed up for my appointment, I was able to truthfully check the first two boxes "Yes."

• Like 1

Agreed. The 8×11 sign in the cubicle states that the antigen test may not be the correct test for travel to Hawaii or abroad. If searching for that clearance,  look for the PCR test. 

Are you testing for future travel (for work or recreation)? Take away the parenthesis and add a comma (one) as the parameters of the travel are for work or recreation. No Oxford comma in this situation. Take away the punctuation and make it three sentences - Are you testing for future travel? Are you testing for work? Are you testing for recreation (right there is where it falls apart). 🙂 Yes, I am a grammar fiend, and my work is as an editor, so I even think in punctuation at this point in my life. I need that t-shirt that says "keep talking, I'm correcting your grammar" 

Hope everyone has a great cruise! We'll be following along. A few more before us! 

• Like 12
  • Haha 2

We live in a remote area of Washington that requires us to travel through Canada to get to Seattle for our 8/15 cruise. They only test for Covid is 2 days a week and Sunday is the one day a week that does not fall into the 3 day window for Covid test required for our cruise. We decided to take a test on Sunday 8/8 to make sure we were negative before we made the trek thru Canada to get additional testing within the 3 day window. We did this to so if we had been positive we could quarantine at home since Canada would not have allowed our return with a positive result. We made arrangements to be tested again, today at 5pm to be within the 72 hours originally stated that was needed to board our ship. There are only 2 testing sites available and we choose the public testing site since the other was already booked up thru 8/17 after our cruise had left. We showed up at our appointed time and we found the sign below. No email warning or call even though Whatcom county had all that information. I have searched all evening for an alternative test site that could get the results in before sailing and there are none. Princess should really have had a private testing site in Seattle that was up and running for the 3 days before sailing. It is BS to put us through the stress of doing this. I currently don’t know if they are going allow us to board. We have our test from last Sunday and proof that we tried to get a test within the rules they set. How do you deal with trying to get a Covid test when the local health department shuts testing down and you tried to get tested in good faith. We are on a bus today heading for Seattle and hopefully we can find a same day test site easy to get to or Princess will accept us on board with our first test and the documentation that the local testing site was closed by the County Health Department without notice. CVS and Walgreens are telling me that here in northwest Washington, now up to 5 day turn around times here due to the demand created by the Canadian border being reopened.

image.jpegat h

Edited by PointRoberts
  • Like 1

@PointRobertswow just wow!! The government wants us to test yet a site closes? there's several same day antigen testing referrals in the 8/15 roll call in and around Seattle. Some will even come to the pier that day. I just didn't want to pay for a hotel to be turned away

There's "SeaTac for the rapid test" mentioned by Grannyp, University of Wa mentioned by another poster (shirtman), and a private group that will come to the pier (but post was removed somehow??). 

1 hour ago, PointRoberts said:

I currently don’t know if they are going allow us to board.

I know you probably don't want to hear this, but with no test within the required 72 hour time period, I'm 99.9% sure that they won't let you board.

I don't see them bending the rules because you tried to get tested.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

I know you probably don't want to hear this, but with no test within the required 72 hour time period, I'm 99.9% sure that they won't let you board.

I don't see them bending the rules because you tried to get tested.

The Princess site says that they are using 3 days not 72 hours.  So if the cruise sails on Sunday you can be tested anytime starting Thursday..from the site below.  Also states if you have not test you will not be allowed on...they will try to get you on a later sailing...

The 3-day period is 3 days before your cruise’s departure. The 3-day timeframe provides you with more flexibility than a 72-hour timeframe. By using the 3-day window, your test validity does not depend on the time of your embarkation or the time of the day that your test was administered. For example, if your cruise departure is 4:00 PM on a Sunday, you may board with a negative COVID-19 test that was administered any time on the prior Thursday or after.

UPDATED: Will I need to have a pre-travel COVID-19 test performed 3 days prior to boarding the ship?

Yes, we require ALL guests to produce a negative COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) taken within 3 days of their embarkation on all Princess sailings.

Guests will be required to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 test along with proof of full vaccination upon arrival in the terminal and can then proceed onboard. Please note that testing in the terminal will not be available for vaccinated guests, so it’s critical that you have your negative test results with you upon your arrival. We will not be able to accommodate guests without proof of a negative pre-travel test.

• Like 3