Live from Majestic Princess - August 15, 2021

WAussieSFO

1 hour ago, PointRoberts said:

We live in a remote area of Washington that requires us to travel through Canada to get to Seattle for our 8/15 cruise. They only test for Covid is 2 days a week and Sunday is the one day a week that does not fall into the 3 day window for Covid test required for our cruise. We decided to take a test on Sunday 8/8 to make sure we were negative before we made the trek thru Canada to get additional testing within the 3 day window. We did this to so if we had been positive we could quarantine at home since Canada would not have allowed our return with a positive result. We made arrangements to be tested again, today at 5pm to be within the 72 hours originally stated that was needed to board our ship. There are only 2 testing sites available and we choose the public testing site since the other was already booked up thru 8/17 after our cruise had left. We showed up at our appointed time and we found the sign below. No email warning or call even though Whatcom county had all that information. I have searched all evening for an alternative test site that could get the results in before sailing and there are none. Princess should really have had a private testing site in Seattle that was up and running for the 3 days before sailing. It is BS to put us through the stress of doing this. I currently don’t know if they are going allow us to board. We have our test from last Sunday and proof that we tried to get a test within the rules they set. How do you deal with trying to get a Covid test when the local health department shuts testing down and you tried to get tested in good faith. We are on a bus today heading for Seattle and hopefully we can find a same day test site easy to get to or Princess will accept us on board with our first test and the documentation that the local testing site was closed by the County Health Department without notice. CVS and Walgreens are telling me that here in northwest Washington, now up to 5 day turn around times here due to the demand created by the Canadian border being reopened.

image.jpegat h

That is beyond upsetting to anyone!!  Just an FYI, we are traveling with another couple who were scheduled to be tested yesterday a little after 5:00PM. Yesterday morning they got an email from the Minute Clinic saying their appointments were cancelled because the nurse had to leave.  They were frantic and I told them I had read on these boards that perhaps they could be tested at SEA airport. She called and got an appointment for just after they land in Seattle on Sat. However, longer story short, DH was able to get his test the same time as me and they took his appointment in the early afternoon.  It all worked out for them but there were some anxious hours in there!!  Maybe you could get to the airport to do the test??

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Donyb said:

That is beyond upsetting to anyone!!  Just an FYI, we are traveling with another couple who were scheduled to be tested yesterday a little after 5:00PM. Yesterday morning they got an email from the Minute Clinic saying their appointments were cancelled because the nurse had to leave.  They were frantic and I told them I had read on these boards that perhaps they could be tested at SEA airport. She called and got an appointment for just after they land in Seattle on Sat. However, longer story short, DH was able to get his test the same time as me and they took his appointment in the early afternoon.  It all worked out for them but there were some anxious hours in there!!  Maybe you could get to the airport to do the test??

We just managed to get an afternoon appointment at the airport. It’s just one more hassle to deal with on this trip. A good 30 min road trip and we don’t have our car. Cab or Uber....it is one more expense.

Edited by PointRoberts
  • Like 7

18 minutes ago, PointRoberts said:

We just managed to get an afternoon appointment at the airport. It’s just one more hassle to deal with on this trip. A good 30 min road trip and we don’t have our car. Cab or Uber....it is one more expense.

SO glad that you were able to get an appointment!  The testing has been a hassle for sure and caused many people to have anxiety!!  Keeping our eyes on the prize - a cruise in 2 days 😉

21 minutes ago, PointRoberts said:

Glad you were able to get the test, but sorry to hear the difficulties of it. 

Did anyone book a guarantee? I was wondering if so, when the cabin assignment came. I'm still waiting for mine for the August 22 cruise. The latest we ever had cabin assignments for guarantees were both Alaskan cruises where we found out on Wednesday for cruises that started on Saturday.

We're ready to rock n roll!! Got our test done this morning, confirmed neg!  bags are packed, kitchen cleaned,  early bird check in for the flight done....now we just wait.  

Traveling to Seattle in the morning, using Seattle Express to get to the pier Sunday morning, Boarding Group B.  I can't begin to explain how thrilled and excited I am to be getting out and adventuring again.  

Momz just turned 80 this spring, and has some of the underlying things that are supposed to be more dangerous if you get the virus...so we've been isolating, hibernating, estivating.... for at least the last 18 months.  We are well on our way to being certified at hermits.....and are in desperate need of some cooler air and vitamin SEA!  I think I'll probably cry when I hear that horn blow as we push back from the dock.   

let DO This y'all....

giddy-up! 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, geoherb said:

Did anyone book a guarantee? I was wondering if so, when the cabin assignment came. I'm still waiting for mine for the August 22 cruise. The latest we ever had cabin assignments for guarantees were both Alaskan cruises where we found out on Wednesday for cruises that started on Saturday.

Bad news. The latest I got a room assignment was at embarkation.  My only time accepting a guarantee 

7 hours ago, PointRoberts said:

Whew!! 👍

8 hours ago, PointRoberts said:

Are you close to a light rail stop?

Off topic, how is the smoke in your area.   We are visiting family in Blaine/Ferndale next week and a little concerned with the air quality.   We had to leave our vacation home in  Mammoth due to weeks of smoke last year.  No fun.

9 hours ago, PointRoberts said:

If your near any of the light rail stations you could take the light rail out to Sea-Tac airport. I have to agree this is total BS!!

The air quality here in the Puget Sound area is terrible today. It's hot, 91dregrees and the sun has a strange pinkish color to it.  Dead calm, not even a breeze.

16 minutes ago, Eaglecw said:

If your near any of the light rail stations you could take the light rail out to Sea-Tac airport. I have to agree this is total BS!!

The air quality here in the Puget Sound area is terrible today. It's hot, 91dregrees and the sun has a strange pinkish color to it.  Dead calm, not even a breeze.

Thanks for the smoke update.   We will be a couple of days in Whatcom County and then back to Bainbridge for a week or so.

9 hours ago, PointRoberts said:

Have you looked into the train from the city to SEA?  Might be better than ride share.  So sorry to add to your nightmare.  Not a good way to start a vacation.

We just added this cruise this morning, when other travel plans fell through. But we had checked late yesterday and, because we are in transit guests on the current Majestic Princess cruise, we did not need the  testing that new guests are going through, which I took as a  reassurance that things are doing well on board. 

• Like 17

47 minutes ago, Eaglecw said:

Repacking. No way am I wearing long sleeves in Seattle tomorrow 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

We just added this cruise this morning, when other travel plans fell through. But we had checked late yesterday and, because we are in transit guests on the current Majestic Princess cruise, we did not need the  testing that new guests are going through, which I took as a  reassurance that things are doing well on board. 

welcome aboard. have follewed your adventures the past two weeks.  heres hoping we have some better weather this week    just curious,  are you going to have to change rooms?  lol

59 minutes ago, tutuwahineLV said:

welcome aboard. have follewed your adventures the past two weeks.  heres hoping we have some better weather this week    just curious,  are you going to have to change rooms?  lol

Thank you!  Yes we are, but just around the corner. Already touched base with the new cabin steward and it should be fast and easy.  

• Like 4

Were you able to just go to the front desk and see if you could

book a cabin and stay on?    Was it easy because the cruise wasn't full?

People cancelling because of tests and masks.

Enjoy your next cruise and hope you won't have the rain you had

this time.  Is G going to fish again for your dinner? Great catch G.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2021 at 6:53 PM, sfkaren said:

Today is the first day that those of us boarding the beautiful Majestic Princess on Sunday could get a Covid test, so thought it would be a good idea to start this thread now.

After the panic subsided when we first found out that a negative test was required to board the ship I was able to get appointments for a Rapid Antigen, medically supervised self test with CVS/Minute Clinic just a couple of miles from home.  There was no charge for the test, although I'm sure our insurance will be billed for it. My DH and I both tested negative and received a phone call with the result approximately 40 long minutes after taking it. Now just waiting to receive an email with the result to provide when boarding.

I hope that others on our roll call will post their experiences and answer questions where possible.

Thank you for this.  I also was able to get an antigen test appointment at CVS in my area for my forthcoming cruise on the Majestic.  

So glad the tests worked out for you both. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tutuwahineLV said:

We're ready to rock n roll!! Got our test done this morning, confirmed neg!  bags are packed, kitchen cleaned,  early bird check in for the flight done....now we just wait.  

Traveling to Seattle in the morning, using Seattle Express to get to the pier Sunday morning, Boarding Group B.  I can't begin to explain how thrilled and excited I am to be getting out and adventuring again.  

Momz just turned 80 this spring, and has some of the underlying things that are supposed to be more dangerous if you get the virus...so we've been isolating, hibernating, estivating.... for at least the last 18 months.  We are well on our way to being certified at hermits.....and are in desperate need of some cooler air and vitamin SEA!  I think I'll probably cry when I hear that horn blow as we push back from the dock.   

let DO This y'all....

giddy-up! 

Question….How soon prior to your cruise we’re you able to pick your boarding group time?  I’ve seen various answers so I’m curious what happened with you.  

Thanks!

Tom😀

2 hours ago, trbarton said:

Question….How soon prior to your cruise we’re you able to pick your boarding group time?  I’ve seen various answers so I’m curious what happened with you.  

The people on the roll call for my cruise on August 22 reported being able to start picking their boarding groups on June 23, which was 60 days before our cruise. I did not book the cruise until the end of July, so I missed out on getting Group A. Plus I had to call because the app wasn't working correctly on my phone at the time. A rep was able to get me in Group B. This should work out with my flight if everything is on time.

5 hours ago, trbarton said:

Thanks!

Tom😀

Morning Tom,  we didn't book this till late July, and I think it was a week later that I got the app loaded and working, so... 3 weeks out, maybe.  

7 hours ago, Belle said:

Were you able to just go to the front desk and see if you could

book a cabin and stay on?    Was it easy because the cruise wasn't full?

People cancelling because of tests and masks.

Enjoy your next cruise and hope you won't have the rain you had

this time.  Is G going to fish again for your dinner? Great catch G.

We saw the Future Cruise Consultant. There were several people wanting to stay on. Then I spoke with the Administration Manager. There are no CBP or immigration requirements and we can even go into Seattle on turnaround day if we want to. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Yay, another week if vicarious cruising via your blog. 

• Like 1