The Daily for Saturday September 04, 2021

richwmn

Today is Bring Your Manners to Work Day, International Bacon Day, and National Tailgating Day

"Here is the test to find whether your mission on Earth is finished: if you're alive, it isn't. - Richard Bach"

Meal suggestion for today - Grilled Buffalo Wings With a Bite

Drink of the Day - Stinger

Wine of the day - Vega Sicilia Unico - Spain

Destination of the Day - Exmouth Australia

Ships with Passengers

Mykonos Island, Greece
Eurodam 07:00 - 20:00

Seattle, WA
Nieuw Amsterdam 07:00 - 16:00

Ships without Passengers

At Sea Balearic Sea
Rotterdam Destination Ijmuiden NL eta 9/10

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Drifting

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

Ensenada MX
Noordam Anchorage
Zuiderdam

Puerto Vallarta MX
Westerdam

Scheveningen NL
Oosterdam Anchorage

Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Amchorage

0904Europe.thumb.png.f5c78d0d9da6d6cfb63093a476828b61.png

0904NAmerica.thumb.png.bb764975c117340f3061c9b38b95b1cc.png

• Like 32
  • Thanks 9

Thank you for the Seattle Turnaround Day Daily, Rich.  Tailgating and Manners are certainly good and I love bacon but it really isn't very healthy.  I love the quote but would prefer the wings without the bite.  Love Australia but haven't been to Exmouth.  A picture perfect day here.

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
Western (Especially BC and Lake Tahoe) wildfires
cat shepard’s friend undergoing chemo for stage four cancer
New Zealand terrorist attack victims
JAM37 DH fighting Covid but showing improvement
Vict0riann DD awaiting Covid test results
Allen (Seasick Sailor DH) awaiting biopsoy results
durangoscots recovering from difficult melanoma surgery
From the rotation:
Scout Jamie C recovering from major surgery
Cruisin single awaiting mamogram clarification

Celebrations and Shoutouts

Surfside lifeguard Keith Pinto laid to rest
2 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
Bon Voyage Atexsix, dobiemom, travelingbuns, and Lafnvegas
Getaway for segarsmoker
Tioga Cruiser on a road trip
Overhead Fred back at cottage
Crabbi Patti and DH testing negative
Ancient Wanderer headed for Alaska
Cruising-along DD and DSIL heading close to home
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 29
  • Thanks 8

Thank you Rich for today's daily.

Thanks also Roy for compiling care reports and celebrations.

If everyone had good manners the work place and the world would be a much better place.

Tailgating is dangerous, annoying and a traffic offence in England.

I love bacon but since my heart attack I have only eaten bacon a handful of times, usually pre-cruise breakfast.

Interesting meal,drink and Quote.

Australia is on our to do list so never been to today's port.

Prayers for everyone on the care list and those affected by storm Ida.

Happy cruising for all those going soon.

Take care and stay safe everyone 😷.

Graham.

IMG_20210827_095024.jpg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

I seem to be a little slow this morning, the days are getting shorter and I don't like it.

An interesting collection of days.  I'm not a big fan of bacon (I think I'm in the minority) and good manners are always needed.

I'm thinking Tailgating is that American thing where you have a party in the parking lot before a football game.  Not tailgating that Graham refers to by being a bad driver and driving too close to the car ahead of you.  One is fun, one is dangerous.

Good quote.

Seems the meal and the drink both have a bite.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of the port of the day.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

What are the odds of "Bring Your Manners to Work Day" falling on a day during the long Labor Day weekend? (US holiday, also known as Boxing Day or Celsius in other jurisdictions.)

I'm pretty sure that it's more than of 60%.

Screen-Shot-2021-08-31-at-5.49.02-PM.png

• Like 9
  • Haha 20

Happy Saturday. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists.

Unfortunately manners seem to be a thing of the past. I love bacon. Tailgating...another appropriate day considering the start of football season.

Love the quote.

I enjoy wings, but not buffalo sauce.

Never been to Australia, look forward to any pictures.

DH is still feeling better. I'm going to try to get him to take a short walk each day so he will hopefully start gaining strength back in his lungs and legs.

Bon Voyage to those cruising soon. I'd love to see pictures and hear about your trips.

I hope that waiting for test results have good news today.

Prayers and praises for those on our lists.

Have a great day.

• Like 22

Good morning, everyone.   

It is another blue sky, sunshiny day here in northeast Ohio.  Forecast is for 78 degrees.  Just about perfect weather.  I'll walk some laps around the block this morning and perhaps work a bit this afternoon to pick out what I need to take for Alaska next week.  I can't believe it is that close!!

Great days to celebrate today.  We should be taking our manners with us everywhere and every day.  I love bacon, just don't get it enough and really enjoy a good tail gate party.  

The meal today is truly a great one for a day of fall football.   

https://www.food.com/recipe/grilled-buffalo-wings-with-a-bite-216434

1951707372_GrilledBuffaloWingswithabite.jpg.f7a1ebfe7f9802d2978fdfaef5d29680.jpg

1342544722_BuffaloWings.thumb.jpg.bda72e5e3a0067a584e365a6c9058535.jpg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 3

16 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

I seem to be a little slow this morning, the days are getting shorter and I don't like it.

An interesting collection of days.  I'm not a big fan of bacon (I think I'm in the minority) and good manners are always needed.

I'm thinking Tailgating is that American thing where you have a party in the parking lot before a football game.  Not tailgating that Graham refers to by being a bad driver and driving too close to the car ahead of you.  One is fun, one is dangerous.

Good quote.

Seems the meal and the drink both have a bite.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of the port of the day.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

Thanks Melanie.

Tailgating in Europe is a big factor in lots of road traffic accidents where cars drive so close to the car in front of them to intimidate the driver to pull over and let them past.

if a car stops suddenly the tailgater has no time to stop and collides with the car in front.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Exmouth is one of the more unusual ports we've visited. We were there when HAL did their first circumnavigation of Australia in 2010. It was ever so hot as I recall. It's quite small, but at that time there were many houses under construction due to workers involved in off shore drilling.

Here is a link to some info on it that some may find interesting, especially the reason that the town was originally established. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exmouth,_Western_Australia

We took an independent tour through the country side and also a ride on a glass bottom boat for Ningaloo Reef viewing. 

Downtown Exmouth and some photos of the countryside...........including a termite mound. 

Downtown Exmouth.jpg

Exmouth-8.jpg

Ningaloo Reef Tour-10.jpg

Ningaloo Reef Tour-31.jpg

Ningaloo Reef Tour-42.jpg

Termite mounds-2.jpg

• Like 34
  • Thanks 2

Happy Saturday.  I must say when I was working we had lots of people bring their manners to work.  Not so much in today's climate.  I LOVE bacon!  And I miss our tailgating days.  Don't attend football games anymore.

I so appreciate the Bach quote.  Love Chicken wings, but not wings with a bite.  Nothing spicy here.

Have not been to Australia, can't bring myself to the long plane ride to begin the cruise.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.  Virtual hugs to all of us in this wonderful group.

Please continue to stay safe, social distance, and wearing your mask.

Stinger:

The Stinger is a pre-Prohibition drink composed simply of cognac and white crème de menthe. The odd couple is quite a pair, producing a cocktail that’s sweet, strong, minty and refreshing—the ideal interplay for an after-dinner nightcap.

The exact origins of the Stinger are murky, but it appeared in print at least as far back as 1914, when Jacques Straub included it in his book “Drinks.” In the book “Imbibe!,” drinks historian and author David Wondrich reports that the Stinger is most famously associated with Reginald Vanderbilt—yes, of the Vanderbilts. A 1923 Ohio newspaper article even credited him with the invention, noting that he was fond of serving them to guests at his home beginning two decades prior. So, it seems we can thank ol’ Reggie for giving us this classic.

Vanderbilt’s taste for the Stinger solidified its high-society bonafides, and for decades the drink was associated with the upper class. It even appeared in the 1956 movie “High Society” starring Frank Sinatra and Bing Crosby, and James Bond drinks one in the 1956 novel “Diamonds Are Forever.” The Stinger remained popular in the United States, inside and outside of pop culture, until about the 1970s when it fell out of favor.
Ingredients: 1 3/4 oz Cognac, 2/3 oz White crème de menthe
Preparation: Pour in a mixing glass with ice, stir and strain into a cocktail glass. May also be served on rocks in a rocks glass.
Served: Straight up; without ice
Drinkware: Cocktail glass

Screen Shot 2021-09-04 at 7.50.36 AM.png

• Like 24
  • Thanks 4

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich. A great combination of days!

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy! Morning Dailyite family! It is a spectacular morning here. Another Fall teaser. My first PT session went well. My short term goal is to bend my knee 105 degrees without discomfort, because that is what I need to ride a stationary bike with my foot flexed. I can ride it with my foot extended, but that doesn’t really help build up the muscle strength I need. I am close (100 degree bend), so hope to get there soon. The PT guru gave me a couple things to do at home. He will have a full list of things I can do, when I return next week. 

I made the Icelandic dark rye bread yesterday. This is the bread I really enjoyed in Iceland. Though it might have been just a bit darker. The recipe did not specify the size pans. I used an 8” & a 9” just to see how each turned out. If I do this again, I will use two 8” loaf pans. But these loaves are small. No wonder Icelanders are in great shape. They eat tiny sandwiches!  I found a different recipe on Kingarthur.com that replaces the golden syrup with a combination of honey & molasses. I think I might like that flavor profile a bit better. That golden syrup is SWEET.

2DAD435A-85E6-4D7A-9577-4E34F01C32F1.jpeg.091a0c5e2f8dab2056af86291d1392b1.jpeg

Heading to a friend’s tonight for some camaraderie, crab cakes, wine, & cat cuddles. But I am going to try heading out to the garden today without a crutch, if it stays as nice as it is now. 

Bon voyage to all our cruisers!

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Vega Sicilia Unico

This is a very special wine. It’s price is driven by its scarcity and the demand for it. Superb ratings for this wine make me want to try a sip, but the lowest online price I could find was $359.00! Just a bit out of my budget. 😉 I found a great site which provided a bit more of the story of this wine. 

Rarewines.com

Few wines have a history as distinguished as that of Vega Sicilia. Founded in the 1860’s, its reputation on its flagship vintage has for more than 100 years produced two great wines, each appropriately named "Único."

The more famous of these wines is of course the single-vintage version, which is still made much as it was a half century or more ago: a selection of only the best vintages released after a decade or more of age. Made from at least 80% Tempranillo and small amounts of Bordeaux varietals, it is a wine of epic proportions, known for great restraint in its youth but great cellaring potential.

There is a second "Único," the mythic Reserva Especial, which has always been a blend of two or three vintages selected from Vega Sicilia's cellar. It is a throwback to the early 1800s, when single-vintage wines were virtually unknown in Spain.

A Historic Estate

It was at Vega Sicilia in Ribera del Duero, two hours from Madrid, that Tempranillo proved its potential for greatness. When the estate's original founder, Don Eloy Lecanda Chaves returned from France with cuttings of Bordeaux varietals, he planted them alongside the indigenous variety, then known simply as Tinto del Pais, or “Country Red”, but today known as Tinto Fino or Tempranillo. Surprisingly, it was the Tempranillo that produced the superior wine.

By the early part of the twentieth century, word had spread about this remarkable wine from Northern Spain. And when the 1917 and 1918 famously took prizes at the 1929 World’s Fair in Barcelona, its reputation soared. The owner’s insistence on deciding who should get his wine spurred its long run of mystery and exclusivity. Eventually, the wines were made available to the world, and Vega Sicilia became an enduring symbol of taste for upper class Spaniards living throughout the world.

In 1982, the estate was purchased by the Alvarez family, who brought with them modern business acumen and vast resources but also a great respect for Vega Sicilia’s winemaking traditions. And indeed much of Vega Sicilia’s global reputation was forged in the 1980s and early 1990s, a time of abundance for lovers of the estate’s wines. Classic single-vintage Únicos like the 1962, 1964, 1966, 1968, 1970 and 1975 were all readily available. Rarities like 1942 and 1948 were there for the asking, and the estate’s other wine, Reserva Especial—made from a blend of vintages—included wines up to 35 years old.

Production has also grown significantly. In the vintages leading up to the 1960s, an average of 1200 cases of the vintage Único were made whenever the year was considered worthy. Today, production averages about 8000 cases.

There has been similar growth in Reserva Especial production. Between 1978 and 1982, fewer than 500 cases were made a year. For the rest of the decade of the 1980s, production varied between 700 and 1000 cases. Today, nearly 1500 cases of Reserva Especial are made. That is still not much wine to satisfy the world.

Today’s Market

Today, the market for Vega Sicilia is one of scarcity and increasing demand. The great, old vintages of Único that were so easy to find in the early 1990s have largely vanished from the market and their prices have soared. Even recent vintages of Único—released only when they are about ten years old—bring $300 to $400 a bottle, as Vega Sicilia becomes better known to a new generation of wine drinkers. while the estate’s fine third wine, Valbuena, has acquired a loyal following of its own.

Vega Sicilia’s growing fame and desirability is testament not only to the estate’s enduring legacy but to the world’s craving for wines of history and noble bearing. 

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, richwmn said:

Good morning everyone from a beautiful sunny Boston.  Thanks for today’s report Rich.  While manners are most important I won’t be going in to work today.  Doesn’t a BLT sound good?  My sister and her husband will be tailgating with their son at Notre Dame later today.  The quote is spot on. I think the wings sound very good.  I think that I’ve had today’s drink in the past but will have to wait for the recipe to be sure. Can’t wait to see the photos of today’s port as I haven’t been.  Cheers to all celebrating a happy event today and prayers for everyone on our list and to my sister’s family whose beloved dog Paws was hit by a car yesterday and crossed rainbow bridge.image.thumb.jpeg.1c856aba232d0ad7982a8b2db6687ff4.jpeg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3

54 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Tailgating is dangerous, annoying and a traffic offence in England.

National Tailgating Day refers to the practice of American football fans to have meals/barbeques in the parking lot before games. Started when those with a station wagon or pickup truck would lower the tailgate and use it to serve the food. Now some bring grills, smokers, tents, etc. Quite an elaborate setup in many cases.

I agree that vehicular tailgating is very dangerous.

Edited by Cruise Suzy
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our Saturday smile 🙂 

Good collection of days although I think manners should be brought to work and everywhere are every day.  I’m glad I looked up National Tailgating day as I thought it was referring to the bad drivers too.  I guess I led a sheltered life as I’ve never been to a tailgating party.

C6A287BA-D243-4C16-98B3-EF28C2D6195C.jpeg.d790f6a6a1b4eed993930dd450e77331.jpeg

I like the Bach quote and the meal suggestion.  

Looks like it’s going to be a cool and rainy labour day weekend here.  Too bad for those with plans  and travelling this weekend.  Just as long as no one stops to ask me for directions they’ll be safe.  I tend to reverse things 😉 

F4B60500-8625-47CB-BAAF-6F5996515844.thumb.jpeg.2dc1140f01292ef95959b09b3ff66f15.jpeg

@cat shepardBe careful in the garden, please.  I know you’re excited to not use the crutch but it’s a good idea to have it with you.  You don’t want to risk a fall right now. 😳 

@LAFFNVEGAS @dobiemom@travelingbums @atexsix Bon Voyage!!  Enjoy stepping back on board your BHB.

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Saturday everyone !!!!!!

D3FE79BA-CACB-427E-88A3-F7CD26D99056.jpeg.70a7ea72b21a9b25900f7ae91cbd848a.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 37
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Mr. Boston said:

Good morning everyone from a beautiful sunny Boston.  Thanks for today’s report Rich.  While manners are most important I won’t be going in to work today.  Doesn’t a BLT sound good?  My sister and her husband will be tailgating with their son at Notre Dame later today.  The quote is spot on. I think the wings sound very good.  I think that I’ve had today’s drink in the past but will have to wait for the recipe to be sure. Can’t wait to see the photos of today’s port as I haven’t been.  Cheers to all celebrating a happy event today and prayers for everyone on our list and to my sister’s family whose beloved dog Paws was hit by a car yesterday and crossed rainbow bridge.image.thumb.jpeg.1c856aba232d0ad7982a8b2db6687ff4.jpeg

How tragic.  Prayers for your Sister & her family on their loss. 

• Like 13

3 minutes ago, kazu said:

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our Saturday smile 🙂 

Good collection of days although I think manners should be brought to work and everywhere are every day.  I’m glad I looked up National Tailgating day as I thought it was referring to the bad drivers too.  I guess I led a sheltered life as I’ve never been to a tailgating party.

C6A287BA-D243-4C16-98B3-EF28C2D6195C.jpeg.d790f6a6a1b4eed993930dd450e77331.jpeg

I like the Bach quote and the meal suggestion.  

Looks like it’s going to be a cool and rainy labour day weekend here.  Too bad for those with plans  and travelling this weekend.  Just as long as no one stops to ask me for directions they’ll be safe.  I tend to reverse things 😉 

F4B60500-8625-47CB-BAAF-6F5996515844.thumb.jpeg.2dc1140f01292ef95959b09b3ff66f15.jpeg

@cat shepardBe careful in the garden, please.  I know you’re excited to not use the crutch but it’s a good idea to have it with you.  You don’t want to risk a fall right now. 😳 

@LAFFNVEGAS @dobiemom@travelingbums @atexsix Bon Voyage!!  Enjoy stepping back on board your BHB.

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Saturday everyone !!!!!!

D3FE79BA-CACB-427E-88A3-F7CD26D99056.jpeg.70a7ea72b21a9b25900f7ae91cbd848a.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 

@kazu lol I am terrible with directions. 

• Like 9

Good Morning. Thanks for the daily and the lists. Interesting collection of days. Our manners should accompany us at all times, including at work. I like bacon but try to not have it very often as it is not the best thing for health. Tailgating is fun (the football thing, not the bad driving thing)

I'm familiar with the drink - it is quite nice though also quite sweet.

I love wings and the hot and spicey ones are great.

It's a beautiful morning here- a good start to our long week-end.

Stay safe everyone.

Edited by jimgev
  • Like 18

16 minutes ago, Mr. Boston said:

What a cute dog.

I'm so sorry to hear of his passing yesterday.

Graham.

• Like 12