Last hurdle cleared! Binax AG testing experience

ryano

59 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

So glad the test was so easy.  Did you do it on your phone or tablet? Does it open to zoom? sorry for the questions, I k ow you’re very busy getting ready to cruise! Have a great trip!

I used my phone sitting at my kitchen table.  You could never see the test monitor but they can see you and the test card at all times and if they cant they will instruct you to position your phone to where they can.  It worked great right through the App.   So much easier than driving to urgent care or CVS and filling out a bunch of paperwork. 

Edited by ryano
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, ryano said:

I used my phone sitting at my kitchen table.  You could never see the test monitor but they can see you and the test card at all times and if they cant they will instruct you to position your phone to where they can.  It worked great right through the App.   So much easier than driving to urgent care or CVS and filling out a bunch of paperwork. 

Thanks so much!!!!! Have a great cruise!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ryano said:

Im breathing a BIG sigh of relief!   I will be LIVE from Ovation come Friday.  🙂    my bucket list trip appears to be a go!  

So have a nice time. The ship is great especially solarium and two70

I decided to cancel because of the new variant MU virus and I just did not want to try flying 6 hours plus 1- 2hrs  in airport terminal with the masks.  I am sad but I have Oasis in October where I can drive.

I hope the weather forecast for rain and clouds in two ports changes for you.  And I hope the Northstar is working again.  It has been broken since it arrived in Seattle and they need a part.

I luckily have been to AK 4 times last being Ovation back in 2019.    Best shore excursion is the Train in Skagway

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

So have a nice time. The ship is great especially solarium and two70

I decided to cancel because of the new variant MU virus and I just did not want to try flying 6 hours plus 1- 2hrs  in airport terminal with the masks.  I am sad but I have Oasis in October where I can drive.

I hope the weather forecast for rain and clouds in two ports changes for you.  And I hope the Northstar is working again.  It has been broken since it arrived in Seattle and they need a part.

I luckily have been to AK 4 times last being Ovation back in 2019.    Best shore excursion is the Train in Skagway

Thanks!  We actually get three ports because of Victoria BC being closed to cruise traffic.  Juneau, Skagway and Sitka.  Unfortunately a chance of rain every day of the cruise 😞  but Im gonna make the best of it.  I was able to secure the White pass railway excursion at a really good deal.  Fingers crossed for good weather.  I will cancel it if its raining.   I also plan on eating a king crab meal at Tracys in Juneau.

Edited by ryano
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Etta1213 said:

So with my Android phone (4g) and run-of-the-mill phone camera, plus Chrome browser, I could use this kit? I'd have to download only the Navica app? DH and I are tekkie dinosaurs.

You should be fine with that! That is exactly what I used this morning 🙂 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ryano said:

Thanks!  We actually get three ports because of Victoria BC being closed to cruise traffic.  Juneau, Skagway and Sitka.  Unfortunately a chance of rain every day of the cruise 😞  but Im gonna make the best of it.  I was able to secure the White pass railway excursion at a really good deal.  Fingers crossed for good weather.  I will cancel it if its raining.   I also plan on eating a king crab meal at Tracys in Juneau.

oh I know 3 ports I just did not check weather for Sitka.

I think the train still goes in the rain.  You might get some good clouds.

Best time of year to go is in May for the snow cover.  Here is my photo from 2019 Ovation on the train tour

P5200379.JPG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ryano said:

I passed my COVID test this morning and have cleared the last hurdle for Ovation of the Seas to Alaska this week.   I cant say enough positive things about whole experience using the test kit from eMed.   I signed on early this am and was quickly routed to a test monitor within  a minute. I opened the package in front of the test monitor and and added the 6 drops of solution to the test card. The simple test was taken via 5 swabs to each nostril and inserted into the test card.  A 15 minute timer was set and after the 15 minutes were up, the monitor came back on and verified the results.   They were immediately sent to the Navica app and also a PDF file to email for printing.  Literally the easiest option of all.   Im breathing a BIG sigh of relief!   I will be LIVE from Ovation come Friday.  🙂    my bucket list trip appears to be a go!  

Glad that everything worked out for you.  After cancelled past cruises you are finally going on your bucket list cruise.  Enjoy!  Make many happy memories😀

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, ryano said:

The combo at Tracys is really good!  It comes with one huge crab leg, some of their little crab cakes, crab bisque and rolls.  My DH and I add a second cup of bisque and split the combo, decent amount of food.  I hope you know about the doors on deck 13, all the way forward that give you access to the lower level of the Solarium.  You can get to the top of the bridge wings from there for a gorgeous view.  I can't wait to see your pictures!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, reallyitsmema said:

The combo at Tracys is really good!  It comes with one huge crab leg, some of their little crab cakes, crab bisque and rolls.  My DH and I add a second cup of bisque and split the combo, decent amount of food.  I hope you know about the doors on deck 13, all the way forward that give you access to the lower level of the Solarium.  You can get to the top of the bridge wings from there for a gorgeous view.  I can't wait to see your pictures!

Thanks for the info about the doors! Ovation is brand new to me so any pointers are greatly appreciated 🙂    The combo is exactly what I will get!   Ive been studying the menu 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ryano said:

Thanks for the info about the doors! Ovation is brand new to me so any pointers are greatly appreciated 🙂    The combo is exactly what I will get!   Ive been studying the menu 

You just go all the way down the cabin corridor and there is a door.  I think it is a sliding door there.  I do know the door to go out onto the bridge wing is an automatic door because I couldn't find the button at first.😇  If Northstar is working, there is an elevator to get to the loading area but you have to be able to transfer to their skinny wheelchair to go over the bridge connector to Northstar.  The elevator is a little tube one right where everyone is waiting in line to board.  I am not sure if you saw my post on another thread to you about the ramp in Two70 that will let you down to the huge windows.  It is all the way to the right, behind the bar that is in the far right corner.  We sailed Anthem with DH in a huge brace, so we found lots of the ramps. 🙂 

53 minutes ago, ryano said:

I was able to secure the White pass railway excursion at a really good deal.  

Our friends just returned   

They loved the excursion, but could only go halfway due to bridge damage. 

I assume the large span bridge. 

No idea if this is an long term issue. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ryano said:

I passed my COVID test this morning and have cleared the last hurdle for Ovation of the Seas to Alaska this week.   I cant say enough positive things about whole experience using the test kit from eMed.   I signed on early this am and was quickly routed to a test monitor within  a minute. I opened the package in front of the test monitor and and added the 6 drops of solution to the test card. The simple test was taken via 5 swabs to each nostril and inserted into the test card.  A 15 minute timer was set and after the 15 minutes were up, the monitor came back on and verified the results.   They were immediately sent to the Navica app and also a PDF file to email for printing.  Literally the easiest option of all.   Im breathing a BIG sigh of relief!   I will be LIVE from Ovation come Friday.  🙂    my bucket list trip appears to be a go!  

So, the test you ordered, was it a pack of 6 tests for $150?  I looked at emed's site, think thats what I saw.  Not bad prixe I'd the keep long enough to use the rest of them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, shellunderwater said:

So, the test you ordered, was it a pack of 6 tests for $150?  I looked at emed's site, think thats what I saw.  Not bad prixe I'd the keep long enough to use the rest of them.

Correct. I had to order the 6 pack through eMed even though I only needed one test.  The Optum Store sells a 2 pack and a 3 pack but they were out of stock at the time.  I have 5 spares now lol  

35 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

If Northstar is working, there is an elevator to get to the loading area but you have to be able to transfer to their skinny wheelchair to go over the bridge connector to Northstar.  

Sounds like what I will have to do at the airport to board my flight too. Not a big deal to transfer!  I really appreciate it!  If you can think of anything else that may help please let me know!  

• Like 1

Is the test website printed on the box or in the instructions?  I've been worried about my husband not being able to download the navica app on his phone for his test, as he doesn't remember his google account user name and password.  I would much prefer to use my laptop.

1 hour ago, ryano said:

We just went to Tracys for the huge king crab , and were a little disappointed , no king crab. They explain that the fishermen did not want to come all the way up for a short fishing season .  We were able to get what he called a sweet crab , and 1 pd of it I couldn't finish it.  I remember 2 years ago how big those legs were and I was so looking forward to it but they were good and fresh . Enjoy !!!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, LadyBerard said:

Is the test website printed on the box or in the instructions?  I've been worried about my husband not being able to download the navica app on his phone for his test, as he doesn't remember his google account user name and password.  I would much prefer to use my laptop.

One of the emails eMed sent had a link to the testing website login.  I think it was the email saying my order had shipped.  

Edited by Anton
Spelling error fix
  • Thanks 1

hey Ryan, I'm going on OV Oct 1. I was on Quantum's inaugural and the only thing I remember about that class of ship was the bumper cars, iFly, and the terrible dining service. Is WJ open for dinner, did you get a dining package, which restaurants were complimentary, who was your captain, did you use the Concierge Lounge and did you have to use your vouchers in there, were Pinnacles allowed in the CL, who was the Cruise Director, did you see any wild life.

24 minutes ago, wolfcathorse said:

hey Ryan, I'm going on OV Oct 1. I was on Quantum's inaugural and the only thing I remember about that class of ship was the bumper cars, iFly, and the terrible dining service. Is WJ open for dinner, did you get a dining package, which restaurants were complimentary, who was your captain, did you use the Concierge Lounge and did you have to use your vouchers in there, were Pinnacles allowed in the CL, who was the Cruise Director, did you see any wild life.

He doesn't sail until Friday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ryano said:

Correct. I had to order the 6 pack through eMed even though I only needed one test.  The Optum Store sells a 2 pack and a 3 pack but they were out of stock at the time.  I have 5 spares now lol  

Dumb question but can you sell your extras?  Wife and I need tests for a cruise in November...

DON'T cancel if it's raining.  Alaska doesn't stop for rain.  Go to the dollar store and buy some of their buck ponchos, throw in the backpack, get waterproof footwear AND GO!  Yes, AK is better when it's sunny but it's pretty great even in the rain.  And - more often than not - if you have a poncho in your backpack it refuses to rain.  Forget poncho on cruise ship?  POURING.  Do not ask me how I know this...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2