Booster jabs

fizzy1

Will be interesting to see what rules and regs will be introduced once COVID vaccine boosters start up . In the uk they begin this week . It appears that a different brand from your original 2 doses will  be given as it offers greater immunity.  For us that would be 2 proper dosses AZ followed by a booster of Pfizer . Hopefully this won’t be classed as mixed doses as the original jabs were same brand 

17 minutes ago, fizzy1 said:

Will be interesting to see what rules and regs will be introduced once COVID vaccine boosters start up . In the uk they begin this week . It appears that a different brand from your original 2 doses will  be given as it offers greater immunity.  For us that would be 2 proper dosses AZ followed by a booster of Pfizer . Hopefully this won’t be classed as mixed doses as the original jabs were same brand 

I recently read that mixed MNRA would be accepted. It will be interesting to see if there are any restrictions on the third dose.

• Like 1

Unfortunately here in the uk the booster will be either Pfizer if you were given 2 doses of Az or half a dose of Moderna if you were given 2 shots of Pfizer . There is no choice in this 

Edited by fizzy1

5 hours ago, fizzy1 said:

Unfortunately here in the uk the booster will be either Pfizer if you were given 2 doses of Az or half a dose of Moderna if you were given 2 shots of Pfizer . There is no choice in this 

You cannot get a third Pfizer shot?

8 hours ago, fizzy1 said:

Can’t comment, as I’ve not been invited for my booster yet.

But surely, if the booster is Moderna, it’s the same type of vaccine as Pfizer, so wouldn’t be considered as mixed?

Edited by upwarduk

In the US a booster dose is only approved for certain immunodeficient individuals at this point.  The Pfizer vaccine was submitted to the FDA advisory committee and that committee recently rejected boosters - except for people 65 and over at 6 months post second dose.  And even that is not approved yet by the FDA.  No mix and match yet with Pfizer and Moderna.  The J&J vaccine new data shows a much stronger antibody response with a second dose at 6 months.  IMO a second dose of J&J will be the most beneficial booster if that is the vaccine you initially received based on the data released so far.  Stay tuned.

19 hours ago, rucrazy said:

We were lucky enough to get our Moderna booster on August 17th.

(Walgreens Maryland)

As far as I am aware only Pfizer third doses are approved in the US and only for certain immunocompromised conditions.  How did you get a Moderna booster?

8 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

As far as I am aware only Pfizer third doses are approved in the US and only for certain immunocompromised conditions.  How did you get a Moderna booster?

I have a friend who is immunocompromised who got his 3rd Moderna shot recently.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

How did you get a Moderna booster?

They were offered and we jumped .. actually shortly after the recommendation from the CDC came out (Late July early August) Governor Hogan opened it up for others after HE GOT HIS.

Both Pfizer and Moderna 3rd shots have been avaible here in Maryland for over a month now...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, fizzy1 said:

I read this morning, that Lincolnshire are only giving Pfizer as 3 rd doses.

A case of watch this space I think.

Edited by upwarduk

Yes sorry.  It appears that CDC has allowed third Moderna shots in the immune compromised since mid-August.  And certain states are doing this.  I was looking at info submitted by Pfizer and thought FDA was still waiting on Moderna.  Sorry for the bad information.

23 hours ago, fizzy1 said:

It will It looks like the CDC have had their arm twisted to allow those who've had the AZ vaccine after the US made entry requirement changes recently. 

I suspect once there's a lot more data available on mixed vaccines that rules will be relaxed. Assuming of course that the data shows mixing them is effective! 

I have been called for my booster because I participated in the J&J trial. I know I got live vaccine, not placebo. I think my booster is going to be Pfizer, but they may advise me differently when I go along on Sunday. 
Looking forward to being even more Covid resistant!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Yes sorry.  It appears that CDC has allowed third Moderna shots in the immune compromised since mid-August.  And certain states are doing this.  I was looking at info submitted by Pfizer and thought FDA was still waiting on Moderna.  Sorry for the bad information.

I was also surprised when my Dad was able to get his 3rd Moderna from CVS. He is also immunocompromised and had no side effects other than a sore shoulder. I didn't think it was approved.