Booster jabs

fizzy1

On 9/22/2021 at 3:17 AM, TeeRick said:

As far as I am aware only Pfizer third doses are approved in the US and only for certain immunocompromised conditions.  How did you get a Moderna booster?

There was an EUA for Moderna for immunocompromised at the same time as Pfizer, but nodata yet submitted for wider use.

From what I understand after chatting with my medical director, there is a difference between 3rd shot and booster.  A third shot is the same dose given after the first and second dose for immune compromise people.  

The booster shot is given after 6 to 8 months after the second shot.  

As of now, the Pfizer third shot and booster dose are the same.  The Moderna third shot is a full dose and the Moderna booster shot is a half dose.  I have not yet to verify the "booster" dose for J&J. 

1 minute ago, canderson said:

Seems that 'boosters' of Moderna are already available here in Colorado.

What do you think the cruiselines will do?   Will they mandate the recommendations coming from the CDC --- ie. will you need to get a booster 6 months after your last pfizer dose, if you are over 65 and want to cruise?

1 minute ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Really? Has the FDA and the CDC deemed what dosage is approved for the Moderna booster and who is authorized to get it? If you can post a link that would be great.

No idea what dosage is being provided.  May look into it for the pair of us 'over 65ers'.  'Authorization', as it was for the classes and schedules the first time around, seems to be a State by State proposition.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2021 at 1:41 PM, sunonfire said:

My husband and I had the Moderna booster and this time we only had sore arms - that only lasted a few hours. 

Approved in Fla?  Where did you go? 

Our original shots were at a hosp vaccination clinic in Desoto County..no longer operating. Hope to be back in Fl soon..hope to get the booster & hope Medicare will cover,

12 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Pfizer’s was just approved for a booster by the FDA for 65+ at 6 months post second injection.  I expect Moderna will follow soon.  

We are 8 months past our  2nd Moderna shots and over 65. I have Type 2 diabetes so hopefully  I will be eligible...maybe even in NY,,,but def Fl.  Would be good timing b/c we are hoping to cruise in January.

8 minutes ago, Auntiemomo said:

Not sure I would take medical advice/recommendations from CC.  Everyone's circumstance is different.  Check with your Doctor before getting a booster jab.

I just reread the thread to be sure I hadn't missed something, and found zero instances of anyone recommending that another person do or not do anything.

13 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Are the antigen tests the same as NAAT tests?

No, and I probably should have included those as well, though an understanding of them makes the idea of accidental detection equally improbable, but in a different way. 😉 

A PCR NAAT test looks for specific genetic material from the virus. NAAT tests are designed to 'amplify' (the 2nd 'A') a small amount of any present to the point where it becomes detectable.  Depending on sensitive a PCR test you want to perform, it can take some time to perform that step in the process.  The only gotcha with this test is that it doesn't discriminate between genetic material from a live virus and the remnants of dead virus from a recent (no solid data on what recent can mean - some claim as much as a month after recovery) infection.  The vaccine neither contains nor does it cause the body to create the detected genetic material.

An antigen test looks for a protein found on the surface of the virus.  That's a fairly quick yes/no proposition, which is why results can be had in 15 minutes or so, but isn't quite as sensitive.  You won't find the protein in question in the vaccines, either.

The test that would pick up the results of vaccination would be an antiBODY test, which does not discern between antibodies caused by exposure to the virus or a vaccine.  So it's not in any way useful for testing for current infection.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, canderson said:

No, and I probably should have included those as well, though an understanding of them makes the idea of accidental detection equally improbable, but in a different way. 😉 

A PCR NAAT test looks for specific genetic material from the virus. NAAT tests are designed to 'amplify' (the 2nd 'A') a small amount of any present to the point where it becomes detectable.  Depending on sensitive a PCR test you want to perform, it can take some time to perform that step in the process.  The only gotcha with this test is that it doesn't discriminate between genetic material from a live virus and the remnants of dead virus from a recent (no solid data on what recent can mean - some claim as much as a month after recovery) infection.  The vaccine neither contains nor does it cause the body to create the detected genetic material.

An antigen test looks for a protein found on the surface of the virus.  That's a fairly quick yes/no proposition, which is why results can be had in 15 minutes or so, but isn't quite as sensitive.  You won't find the protein in question in the vaccines, either.

The test that would pick up the results of vaccination would be an antiBODY test, which does not discern between antibodies caused by exposure to the virus or a vaccine.  So it's not in any way useful for testing for current infection.

Thanks

2 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Really? Has the FDA and the CDC deemed what dosage is approved for the Moderna booster and who is authorized to get it? If you can post a link that would be great.

This is the only Moderna booster EUA so far. Immunocompromised only.

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/coronavirus-covid-19-update-fda-authorizes-additional-vaccine-dose-certain-immunocompromised

• Thanks 1

@nocl

True enough, but I think what's being described here is what's happening in actual practice, not in EUA theory.  As was the case with the original vaccinations, States seem to be coming up with their own schedule for 'boosters' for their own list of defined vulnerable groups, and as before, I expect those for 'boosters' will shift around a lot with time irrespective of other guidance.  Colorado's age cut-off for otherwise healthy individuals for the original shots was a bit of a moving target in the beginning!  I recall it being that way elsewhere as well.

What I find odd is that Moderna is being supplied without any specific guidance from Moderna with regard to dosage - not even a hint regarding their findings as far as I've heard.  I don't know if Colorado outlets are giving full or half doses, or if there's any consistency in dosing to begin with.  As noted above, it's something I'll be looking into when I get some time.  Have a pretty full plate at the moment, it's going to take some research just to discover this for Colorado (much less other States and how they're handling it!), and don't have an immediate personal need to find out.

If anyone who gets a Moderna booster would inquire as to dosage, it would be interesting to know what you got, though we're so generic on the topic here that I would expect this thread to be bounced off the Celebrity thread list and moved somewhere else pretty soon anyway... so speak up quickly! 😄