Are "Elite Vacation Consultants" permanently assigned

patty1955

We booked our upcoming cruise directly with Oceania and most of our emails have come from our "Elite Vacation Consultant". When I contact Oceania by phone my call is usually returned by him. He's a very nice man and tries to be helpful but I can't understand what he's saying. I'm not blaming him, my hearing isn't what it used to be, he has a strong accent and talking on a cell phone doesn't help. If we book a new cruise, will we be dealing with the same person or will we get a representitive?

1 minute ago, patty1955 said:

We booked our upcoming cruise directly with Oceania and most of our emails have come from our "Elite Vacation Consultant". When I contact Oceania by phone my call is usually returned by him. He's a very nice man and tries to be helpful but I can't understand what he's saying. I'm not blaming him, my hearing isn't what it used to be, he has a strong accent and talking on a cell phone doesn't help. If we book a new cruise, will we be dealing with the same person or will we get a representitive?

Everyone of your direct O bookings will list the rep who made the booking. And his correspondences from him will always list his personal extension so that you can contact him directly. However, you can certainly book a different future cruise with a different O rep (either by “luck of the draw” when calling the general O phone # or by dialing the direct extension of some other rep for whom you have that info).

However, the bigger question is why you’re not using an actual Travel Agent (independent from O) who can offer you pretty much every perk/service that the O rep does AND add additional perks via their own Agency’s or Agency’s Consortium’s agreements with O. In addition, that outside TA can share commissions with you- often at 5-10% of the commissionable fare and, if they are O “preferred partners” and/or O Conoisseurs Club members, they have access to rotating “quiet sales” and other special pricing events.

FWIW: We most often book with the O Club Ambassador onboard to get the onboard booking discount, low price match guarantee, SBC on the current cruise, etc. And, while normally such booking automatically are assigned to the TA you used for the current cruise, you may choose to assign it yourself and “shop it around” to TAs for transfer within the allowable 30 day transfer window. BTW, you can also book a cruise with an O phone rep and transfer it to a TA (for added perks) within that 30 day transfer window.

For the life of me, I will never understand why O cruisers will not do the research to find the right TA and book direct with (or transfer to) them - even if only for the commission sharing!!! We’re talking - often four figure $$$$.

Some folks will erroneously say “I want control of my booking.” But, while they wait on the phone line for an O rep (who works for the company and will need supervisor’s approval for many items), my O “preferred partner” TA (who books millions and “works for me”) will have the regional O sales rep as a speed dial. Really: Who would you want handling a potential issue?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

For the life of me, I will never understand why O cruisers will not do the research to find the right TA and book direct with (or transfer to) them - even if only for the commission sharing!!! We’re talking - often four figure $$$$.

I booked directly with O and adore my rep. We have a relationship 🙂 With our first cruise he upgraded us to a concierge veranda cabin. We then transferred to a top O TA where we got gratuities. Our second one (not traveled yet) is similar. That's honestly good enough for me.

6 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

For the life of me, I will never understand why O cruisers will not do the research to find the right TA and book direct with (or transfer to) them

I've pretty much given up trying to explain it. It's like cutting your nose off to spite your face. I simply don't get it. You can lead a horse to water..............

I have to believe that there are a lot of people out there who just simply haven't found the right TA, if they had they'd never book direct again. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, ORV said:

I've pretty much given up trying to explain it. It's like cutting your nose off to spite your face. I simply don't get it. You can lead a horse to water..............

I have to believe that there are a lot of people out there who just simply haven't found the right TA, if they had they'd never book direct again. 

Not only that, but how about the posters that claim to know the exact week , months in advance, when new bookings will occur? That way they can claim they usually only book while aboard! I’ve been aboard twice when bookings opened up. We ended up with a FCC once. Internet service was so bad the onboard OA couldn’t get anything booked. 

I’ll continue to stick with my highly professional Travel Agent and I have no need to bid her every time I need a booking as some here apparently need to do. Cheapest isn’t always best imho, but apparently not to others.

• Like 1

Combination of cruise credit and rebate check I get from my TA is, in effect, like getting about a 10% discount compared to purchasing directly from the cruise line. So, if people would rather pay 10% more for their cruise by booking directly with the cruise line, they are free to make that decision.

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Not only that, but how about the posters that claim to know the exact week , months in advance, when new bookings will occur? That way they can claim they usually only book while aboard! I’ve been aboard twice when bookings opened up. We ended up with a FCC once. Internet service was so bad the onboard OA couldn’t get anything booked. 

I’ll continue to stick with my highly professional Travel Agent and I have no need to bid her every time I need a booking as some here apparently need to do. Cheapest isn’t always best imho, but apparently not to others.

“Shopping” a transfer around is not just about the “best $ deal.” There are many newbies here who haven’t yet found that “great TA.” Shopping that transfer to recommended TAs gives them a chance to interact with several TAs as regards an actual booking experience. 
 Years ago, it certainly helped us to identify our favorite TA as well as two “backups.”

We have found locating the proper TA can be challenging. We had one for a few years who had an outstanding personality but was careless in the details. Our new one is not much of a conversationalist but 100% on the small things that matter. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, patty1955 said:

I book my Celebrity cruises and then transfer them to my membership, big box store's travel dept. They give me a gift card for about 10% of the cruise price. They don't book Oceania or Windstar cruises though. 

I'm starting to feel like the hour on hold at that TA isn't worth it.  Especially since you are not assigned the same person every time.

16 hours ago, ORV said:

This is EXACTLY why I haven't moved my Vista booking to a TA. I have called more than 10 "preferred patner/connisseur club" agencies and not had any offers more than prepaid grats or a couple hundred in OBC for a $13k+ booking. 

Of course CC makes it illegal to get any recommendations from fellow users so I have given up. 

52 minutes ago, WNcruiser said:

This is EXACTLY why I haven't moved my Vista booking to a TA. I have called more than 10 "preferred patner/connisseur club" agencies and not had any offers more than prepaid grats or a couple hundred in OBC for a $13k+ booking. 

Of course CC makes it illegal to get any recommendations from fellow users so I have given up. 

Prepaid grats and a couple of hundred is better than not getting that.

I'm of the opinion that some posters set people up with unrealistic expectations of what they should be getting from their TA. For me it's about a whole lot more than some OBC. Service and attention to detail is something I value, and I just don't know how any TA could be any better at that than ours. As quite a few here have mentioned, the TA having connections with their rep at Oceania can be invaluable. 

FWIW, I've never asked or demanded anything, and been more than pleased with everything I've got. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ORV said:

Prepaid grats and a couple of hundred is better than not getting that.

I'm of the opinion that some posters set people up with unrealistic expectations of what they should be getting from their TA. For me it's about a whole lot more than some OBC. Service and attention to detail is something I value, and I just don't know how any TA could be any better at that than ours. As quite a few here have mentioned, the TA having connections with their rep at Oceania can be invaluable. 

FWIW, I've never asked or demanded anything, and been more than pleased with everything I've got. 

I likewise find some of the claims of rebate levels unrealistic.

The other issue at hand is many of our Travel Agencies and their Travel Agents haven’t seen a paycheck in 18+ months. Many of the current bookings are for paychecks way out in the future. Perhaps the Agency or Agents aren’t in a position to be as generous as before. They’ve busted their bottoms on bookings and cancellations and not got paid for quite a while. I can be very happy with the excellent service and goodies I do receive, and not obsess over ever commissionable dollar they earn as some here seem to do.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, ORV said:

you seem to worry too much about how we decide to book our cruises.  I've always been very happy booking direct with X and for my two upcoming O's my rep has been fantastic.  Glad a TA works for you though.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

you seem to worry too much about how we decide to book our cruises.  I've always been very happy booking direct with X and for my two upcoming O's my rep has been fantastic.  Glad a TA works for you though.

Well, people come here asking for advice about Oceania, using a good connected TA is one of the best things a person can do when booking with Oceania. It's your money, your choice. If you want to leave money on the table, someone who can really go to bat for you if things go south, get you discounted upgrades, invaluable advice on air and other procedures with Oceania that is definitely your choice. Those of us that have experienced it just have a hard time understanding those that won't take advantage of it. On one of my cruises with my TA when we were having dinner with the GM he asked me how I happened to get connected with my TA, I told him it was my lucky day. 

Just an FYI, not just for you, but others, the big agencies are not the ones you really want. You don't get real travel agents with most of them, just customer service reps. Many people have had bad experiences with them, including myself. 

Whatever works for you. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/4/2021 at 3:58 PM, ORV said:

Well, people come here asking for advice about Oceania, using a good connected TA is one of the best things a person can do when booking with Oceania.

But I've done them both. Book directly with "my guy" at O and then transfer to a TA that someone her in private gave me the name and I've since verified that.

On 10/4/2021 at 6:58 PM, ORV said:

Well, people come here asking for advice about Oceania, using a good connected TA is one of the best things a person can do when booking with Oceania. It's your money, your choice. If you want to leave money on the table, someone who can really go to bat for you if things go south, get you discounted upgrades, invaluable advice on air and other procedures with Oceania that is definitely your choice. Those of us that have experienced it just have a hard time understanding those that won't take advantage of it. On one of my cruises with my TA when we were having dinner with the GM he asked me how I happened to get connected with my TA, I told him it was my lucky day. 

Just an FYI, not just for you, but others, the big agencies are not the ones you really want. You don't get real travel agents with most of them, just customer service reps. Many people have had bad experiences with them, including myself. 

Whatever works for you. 

I see these lectures on "using a good TA" every single solitary week here on this board.  So why does finding one have to be like hen's teeth?  It's just not that easy Orv.  Had a good TA, used once with great huzzahs on our part, then she retired during the pandemic.  Still using one we've used for 15 years, that TA is nothing like you describe.  Minutia (like... what documents do we need to travel for this cruise?) is not his thing and telling me to call O to find out is not helpful.

I've talked to a couple of the Connoisseur's club agents I found on the web.  So far? Not impressed by the two i talked to enough to even try booking a cruise with them. 

So how many cruises do I have to suffer through a bad agent to find a good one?  How many cruises do we take in a year?  It could literally take 5 years trying agents to get a good one.  You say the day you found your agent was "your lucky day".  I'm not so lucky, and I'm getting tired of getting lectured on this.  You all with great TA's should just count yourselves VERY VERY lucky and not talk to the rest of us that are not so lucky as being negligent, lazy, or stubborn.  You all seem to think it's easy.  It's just NOT that easy.

I'm not picking on you per se Orv, I like you and see eye to eye with you on so many things and love your sane, reasonable worldview.  But this thread sent me over the edge, and your post got picked to respond.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Kate-AHF said:

So how many cruises do I have to suffer through a bad agent to find a good one?  How many cruises do we take in a year?  It could literally take 5 years trying agents to get a good one. 

In all your cruises you never asked other PAX  about their TA?

Next cruise  ask your fellow shipmates  about  their TA & if they are happy with their service/perks whatever

Yes very hard to find  a GOOD one

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Kate-AHF said:

So how many cruises do I have to suffer through a bad agent to find a good one?  How many cruises do we take in a year?  It could literally take 5 years trying agents to get a good one.  You say the day you found your agent was "your lucky day".  I'm not so lucky, and I'm getting tired of getting lectured on this. 

When you join the roll call for your next cruise, let your fellow passengers know that you are looking for a good TA.  You won't be able to get your answer on the roll call itself, but you can connect with people who will be happy to talk to you during your cruise.

People love to talk about the great prices and service they get.  All you have to do is ask.😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, tgg said:

When you join the roll call for your next cruise, let your fellow passengers know that you are looking for a good TA.  You won't be able to get your answer on the roll call itself, but you can connect with people who will be happy to talk to you during your cruise.

People love to talk about the great prices and service they get.  All you have to do is ask.😉

This is good advice. But, I’d ask more than just the “roll call” folks. Once onboard, “Do you mind if I ask who you use for a TA and why?” can work wonders. And, I’d pay particular attention to the answers of folks who have done/do many O cruises.

Do this enough (on these relatively small ships) and you’ll soon start hearing about a handful of Travel Agencies mentioned again and again (most are O “preferred partners”).

There’s a good start to your search for a TA “short list” to interview and determine who may be good fit for you in terms of style, service and perks.

And while, O Club Ambassadors are not allowed to recommend specific TAs, your tactfully  expressed “name drop” during a casual conversation may elicit a facial expression that speaks volumes.

31 minutes ago, tgg said:

We’ll, actually, you don’t have to wait for the cruise. I/we normally do all the final tour coordination and sign-ups via private emails. Once you have my email you can ask me anything you want! 😇

The obvious problem with this approach is the increasing number of people that have no desire to take any private tours or participate, at any level, on the Roll Calls. Those people have to wait.

I have a wine decanter and know how and when to use it. Some people have wine decanters sitting in their cupboards that never get use regardless of how desperately the wine may need it. Therefore, merely processing a wine decanter means little. I’m fortunate enough to have an excellent Travel Agent and know how to use her. I don’t demand absolute control of all aspects of my cruise or life. I have no desire or intentions to sit on hold to talk to some 1-800 phone rep that has often been proven to provide inaccurate information. Some relish that as “ being in control “, or “ eliminating the middle man”. Some here may have a very good TA, but like the wine decanter choose never to really use them except for some rebate they can squeeze. 

On a related note, we went with friends last night to a restaurant we have immensely enjoyed in the past , but hadn’t been to in about a year. The wait staff had 100% rolled over and service was horrendous. The restaurant was short handed plus working with new hires. Our entire economy is dealing with labor shortages. Not receiving pay for months has sent many experienced Travel Agents either into retirement or different areas of employment. It will take awhile, and a steep learning curve, for the new hires to come up to speed. Patience will be required. 99+% of the issues brought here don’t require answers or resolution in months, there is plenty of time for the new hires to learn. Refusing to give them the opportunity prolongs the learning curve. Those believing a TA is nothing more than an $8/ hr clerk and wanting to squeeze them down to minimum wage levels aren’t helping matters. Tried to hire an $8/hr clerk recently?

• Like 1

What do i want from a TA.

• I do not care about perks, or discounts.  I want someone who knows the product.
  • I want help with air. ("Oh, we are a mom & pop agency.  We don't do air")
  • If I ask a question, and you don't know the answer (particularly in  these challenging, constantly changing environments) I want you to ask.  Though I have rapidly decreasing confidence that what the TA is being told is actually true.  See: constantly changing environments, and very confused O employees.
  • I want at LEAST a link to the current cruise ship travel contract and conditions when I book, so I can print them, and I don't want to go looking for them myself.  If you think everyone gets this, yeah... no. They don't.
  • I want some kind of assistance from the TA if things go way-bad-wrong on our cruise.  I don't think they can fix everything, but I want them to at least try.
  • I want an accurate invoice.

I've asked three people on the last two cruises who their TA was.  They were not sharing.  If they evade or change the subject, what do I do?  Polite society indicates I accept the dodged question gracefully.

Though we have a new argument above "give the newbies time to learn their job".  Which already absolves the TA from my point 1.

Pinotlover seems to think that most people have control issues.  Trust me, I didn't used to.  Having balls dropped by others over the years has enlightened me that I need to take responsibility.  Funny how it's "control issues" until there is a problem, then it's 'you have an obligation to keep informed".

Okay, off my soapbox for another 2 years on this subject.

8 hours ago, Kate-AHF said:

What do i want from a TA.

• I do not care about perks, or discounts.  I want someone who knows the product.
  • I want help with air. ("Oh, we are a mom & pop agency.  We don't do air")
  • If I ask a question, and you don't know the answer (particularly in  these challenging, constantly changing environments) I want you to ask.  Though I have rapidly decreasing confidence that what the TA is being told is actually true.  See: constantly changing environments, and very confused O employees.
  • I want at LEAST a link to the current cruise ship travel contract and conditions when I book, so I can print them, and I don't want to go looking for them myself.  If you think everyone gets this, yeah... no. They don't.
  • I want some kind of assistance from the TA if things go way-bad-wrong on our cruise.  I don't think they can fix everything, but I want them to at least try.
  • I want an accurate invoice.

I've asked three people on the last two cruises who their TA was.  They were not sharing.  If they evade or change the subject, what do I do?  Polite society indicates I accept the dodged question gracefully.

Though we have a new argument above "give the newbies time to learn their job".  Which already absolves the TA from my point 1.

Pinotlover seems to think that most people have control issues.  Trust me, I didn't used to.  Having balls dropped by others over the years has enlightened me that I need to take responsibility.  Funny how it's "control issues" until there is a problem, then it's 'you have an obligation to keep informed".

Okay, off my soapbox for another 2 years on this subject.

I haven't had time to reply to what you posted above and this post. I certainly can understand your frustration, I also went through a process for quite a few years until I found our current TA ten years or so ago. I basically read between the lines on posts here and realized who some really informed posters, some that are no longer with us, were using. 

At least you see the value of a good TA, some here think just booking direct is the way to go, I differ. If that works for them great. 

On your second comment about air. Keep in mind very few TA's actually book air, unless it's through the cruise line like Oceania. If you're doing independent air you're basically on your own. If I understand correctly most airlines no longer work direct with travel agents so there is no incentive for them to book air. As far as the rest of your wish list it's exactly the service we get.  Our TA only books cruises, some do tours and land vacations which is another kettle of fish. On your third comment that's exactly what our TA does, if we ask a question and she doesn't know the answer her reply is, "let me find out". I appreciate that as opposed to someone making something up or just saying "I don't know". 

I have met people on cruises that recommend their TA because they get perks from the Travel agency for doing so. For some reason that never really set that well with me. 

Are you currently booked on any cruises? Good luck in your search, if we're ever on a cruise together maybe we could talk. I always take a few of her business cards on cruises, but never proactively give them to someone, only if the subject comes up in conversation.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Kate and others,

I’d like to share a bit of what I have learned while sailing with Oceania over the last 14 years. I have looked for an agent who is professional, extremely helpful, accurate with their information and works with me and for me. I am paying the booking that generates their income so I have every reason to expect outstanding service.  If I dread talking to the TA, then I have the wrong TA. If they are not honest with me, I have the wrong TA. Some TA’s think they own their customers and that is flat wrong and they are not my TA. 
An Oceania Connoisseur Club member is definitely a person who knows their product. They will always try to maximize your Oceania cruise benefits and amenities because if you are happy with their services, you will come back for more bookings and bring friends along. Oceania always provides all the contract information, insurance documents, and everything you need for your fabulous cruise. Any TA that can not attach that information to an email does not deserve you as a client.  
Some posters on these Boards and Roll Calls try to emphasize how they have received major discounts or rebates and that is why they use that TA. I can tell you Oceania and many other lines have an Anti-Rebating policies and I for one have too much respect for that TA to ask them to jeopardize their relationship with their Agency and most importantly Oceania Cruises.  I want a TA that respects their clients and treats them with integrity and respect. If I can spend $10 to 20,000 or much more on a vacation, I am not going to ask the TA to give me their livelihood.

Kate, you deserve a great Oceania TA and I hope you find yours real soon, they are out there.  Maybe one day our paths, or should I say seas, will cross and over a glass of something special, we can talk. 
Ciao, Mauibabes

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5