LIVE from the MAIDEN VOYAGE OF THE ROTTERDAM VII - TRANSATLANTIC

sansterre

I too thought that only US passengers were on this cruise.  Many on our Roll Call, both from Canada and The Netherlands were disappointed when the restriction wasn't lifted in time for our Nov. 3 arrival in Ft. Lauderdale.  

However today I met a woman from Canada.  She said she just recently booked the cruise and had no problem getting on the airplane or on the ship.  Now I am wondering if she is staying on for the Caribbean cruises.  But still, there are the two days CDC is requiring for cleaning the ship.  Where can she spend those days?  Hmmmmmm.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, sansterre said:

I too thought that only US passengers were on this cruise.  Many on our Roll Call, both from Canada and The Netherlands were disappointed when the restriction wasn't lifted in time for our Nov. 3 arrival in Ft. Lauderdale.  

However today I met a woman from Canada.  She said she just recently booked the cruise and had no problem getting on the airplane or on the ship.  Now I am wondering if she is staying on for the Caribbean cruises.  But still, there are the two days CDC is requiring for cleaning the ship.  Where can she spend those days?  Hmmmmmm.

The U.S. just re-opened and I can’t speak for this person but some have been invited back.  It might be they opted to re-join the cruise after the cruise restriction was lifted?

Two days in FLL can be spent in a hotel - I think HAL is covering some of the cost for that for those that were staying on but I could be in error - just going by posts from what I have read. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cruise Suzy said:

My favorite HAL dining experience - after afternoon tea. Will be having tea on 11/21 but have to wait until 2/20 for the Dutch Cafe. 

The Dutch Cafe and afternoon teas are  my faves.

Jim

• Like 3

When our 11/14 sailings was cut by those two days, I asked somewhere what was going to happen with folks who were booked on the TA/1st Caribbean but don't recall seeing a response.

I only visited the Dutch Cafe once on my K'dam sailing.  I had an excursion and as it was mid-afternoon by the time I was back on the ship, I needed a "snack" to hold me over until dinner.  I order the toasted ham and cheese sandwich and a beer.  I swear, that sandwich was the size of my laptop!  It was huge!  I'm not even sure I finished it but I remember that I still wasn't really hungry when I went for dinner at around 8 that evening!  It was very tasty.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, nimiq said:

Wow more music on this ship. That’s lots of venues to choose from with different genre of music.  
Question 1 :Can you actually confirm all venues (Bar) are open as I’ve heard they had trouble finding bands ?

Question 2 : How Is the mask policy being respected ? What are the real rules on this ship with those mask ? 

Thanks again 

Sea Ya 

Eric

1.  I have a few photos of bands and strings.  Not sure if all venues are open but it seems like they area from what I've seen.

2.  Everyone is wearing masks, except while drinking or dining.   Then they are off all the time, not just to sip or eat something.  I did see a sign in the high traffic area of the music walk saying "Masks Required".  Otherwise, I have not seen any "real rules" on the ship about masks.

Edited by sansterre
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

@sansterre, can you confirm whether Captain Albert is on board?  It was said he was to be and not meeting him after we canceled was one of my regrets.  I hope he is and is enjoying the cruise along with the rest of you!  He's got a lot of knowledge of all things HAL and does some fantastic talks about ships and captains.

Edited by 0bnxshs
  • Like 5

Hello from Portland, England.  It is overcast day, temperature at noon is 57 F.

By the time we had breakfast in MDR, presented our passports at the theatre, then returned to our room near the aft elevators, I needed a rest!  DH has gone to the Crow's Nest to read and I am going to catch up on emails, my photos, and this thread.

I do have a photo of the Ocean Bar stage but it apparently did not download.  Will get on it now for sfo cruiser.

Obnxshs, I have not heard anything about Captain Albert.  But I will certainly ask when I see Nick, our trivia host today.  He should know.  I could call the front desk right now too - yes, I will do that while I look for the Ocean Bar Stage photo.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

But first, the Lincoln Center Stage.

The first photo is taken on Deck 2.

Second photo taken on Deck 3, looking down.

Thursday, while we were at sea, Seth's talk was in the venue followed by a wonderful String  Quartet.

Lincoln Center.jpg

balcony of lincoln center.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Sir PMP said:

Wow, on the deck plan it shows the ocean bar across from sel de mer next to the atrium with no stage, where is it located exactly?

25 minutes ago, sfocruiser said:

It’s at the far aft end of the bar.  On the other side of the wall world be the halfmoon bar

There is no stage.  What there is, is one small raised platform which can be suggestive of a stage. I am in The Ocean bar right now.

Thanks for posting sansterre! We sail the Rotterdam the end of March & appreciate your live reporting. 

Happy to hear they brought back music to the Ocean Bar. Look forward to hearing about the bands, BB KING & all dance music. 

when you have a moment , please 2 questions…

Is Clois  du Bois Chardonnay included in the Signature Beverage Package? 
what is the cost for the Greenhouse Thermal Suites? 

many thanks & have a fabulous cruise!

35 minutes ago, bandp407 said:

Thanks for posting sansterre! We sail the Rotterdam the end of March & appreciate your live reporting. 

Happy to hear they brought back music to the Ocean Bar. Look forward to hearing about the bands, BB KING & all dance music. 

when you have a moment , please 2 questions…

Is Clois  du Bois Chardonnay included in the Signature Beverage Package? 
what is the cost for the Greenhouse Thermal Suites? 

many thanks & have a fabulous cruise!

Yes, your Chardonnay is included.  

29 minutes ago, sassy~one said:

Thanks so much for the update and pictures.  I have never been to the Dutch Cafe. Please are there items at no cost?  Is this location where the afternoon tea is held? Thanks

There is no cost associated with the food unless that has changed.  Coffee and liquor, yes.  I don’t think they would have afternoon tea there but I could be wrong.  They used to be held the the mdr.

• Like 1

I like some of the changes from the K'dam and NS'dam.  Prefer the  blue carpet in the MDR and less yellows.  The Ocean Bar was neglected on the NS, so the 'band stand" should help.  The Orange Club looks much better as well.

I don't think Captain Albert is aboard or we would have probably seen posts.  I thought he might have been retired with the covid shut down.  Holland America, even with the Rotterdam VII, is only 11 ships after having been up to 15.

• Like 2