Gifts for crew?

JF - retired RRT

@CineGraphic

Thank you for all your thoughtful posts.  Too many to quote.  I had similar issues with the app.  Miraculously, with a one week open ticket, I was in the Green Lane 30 minutes before leaving for the port.  I was prepared to show all of my printed documents.  

And yes, something as simple as sending out the correct color Medallion seems like a no brainer.  

I should be thrilled. Everything is working for me. Cabin mate had no issues with the app….but loads of trouble with Medallion and app for her Android once on board.  

So great to be back on a ship. Crew has been delightful. They are also excited to on board.  You can see it on their faces and hear it in the voices. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, KruzPrincess said:

The only thing that I’ve ever offered (besides money) is my bar setup. I don’t drink alcohol. I simply ask if they want it and they’ve always said yes. 

I hope you give them a written and signed note stating that you are giving the bar items to them so they do not get in trouble.

5 minutes ago, brisalta said:

I hope you give them a written and signed note stating that you are giving the bar items to them so they do not get in trouble.

Nope. I’m not their parent. It’s their decision to take it or not. I hope they wouldn’t take it if they thought they would get in trouble. Not one person has ever asked for a note. I know I’m not the only person who does this. 

• Like 1

Interesting topic.

We usually leave cash on top of gatuities. 

Yesterday whilst on Sky Princess I asked our steward if he needed anything from shore knowing the crew are not at present allowed shore leave. I was asked for a small pack of flavoured noodles! He was really missing them and was unable to get them on ship.

It took little effort to visit a supermarket whist ashore and purchase a few packets...our steward was very pleased. 

So if you want to give staff something extra why not ask them 

• Like 7

7 hours ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

These types of debates shouldn't even exist.  If anyone thinks cash is not the answer, you're giving for your own sake and not the crew's.  It matters not that they even use your gifts, the point is you're forcing them to basically use the cash they could have on a very specific item that you chose for them.  With cash, there are literally millions of different things they could buy with it including the very specific gift one might give them.  Why not allow THEM to make that choice?  Sorry, this one's a no brainer.

It is the same principle as when my TA has told me he only gives OBC rather than something specific like a bottle of wine because he would rather have the passenger have the option of what to do with the extra he provides. Cash works the same way with the crew.

• Like 4

I always bring some small "Thank You"  cards to leave cash/ gift cards in. When I leave extra cash, I always leave a personal note with my appreciation.  They can then turn the card into their supervisor should they wish.

I smoke, as does my husband. One thing that we always do is tip the cleaning staff in public areas. It makes a big difference for my vacation that I am able to relax and not have overflowing ashtrays. We are not slobs, but sometimes they keep the "butt cans" behind the bars where I cannot get to. We always address the envelopes to them personally, along with our cabin number so they can turn it into their supervisor should they wish to advance,

7 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

Giving cash takes no thought, and little effort.

Yes but that wasn’t the question and has nothing to do with the fact that they want nothing except cash.

The only exception is if it’s something you have with you that a member of the crew calls out specifically 

On one cruise, a member of the entertainment team commented on my wife’s small clutch. So the next night my wife emptied it out and gave it to her.  The entertainment lady was so thrilled.

Otherthan that though , people work on cruise ships to make money to send back to their families at home and the more cash they get, the more it gets to why they do this for a living 

8 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

Giving cash takes no thought, and little effort.

Please.....and Tootsie Rolls or their equivalents do?  

My mother always said "Never take candy from a stranger" and there is lots of wisdom in that advice at so many different levels! 😆

Edited by PrincessLuver
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, wannagonow123 said:

I always bring some small "Thank You"  cards to leave cash/ gift cards in. When I leave extra cash, I always leave a personal note with my appreciation.  They can then turn the card into their supervisor should they wish.

Like the idea of the personal thank you card with the gift.....really adds some specialness to the appreciation gesture.......💡

• Like 3

Just now, CineGraphic said:

A crew member just listed what he and his fellow crew members appreciate.

Are you saying he's lying?

Giving a crew member what he actually requires is one thing. Giving them what you think they want is totally different.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, PrincessLuver said:

Please.....and Tootsie Rolls or their equivalents do?

Maybe you've never been away from your home country for a long period of time, so yes, a treat from the Ukraine, Belarus, or Russia is a nice surprise when your floating around the middle of the Caribbean.

1 minute ago, CineGraphic said:

Maybe you've never been away from your home country for a long period of time, so yes, a treat from the Ukraine, Belarus, or Russia is a nice surprise when your floating around the middle of the Caribbean.

But not as nice a surprise as 20 USD.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

Giving a crew member what he actually requires is one thing. Giving them what you think they want is totally different.

And the crew member in the video says treats from their home countries are appreciated.

Unless you are crew, who are you to say otherwise?

I pay the required grats, and tip a bit extra as well, if warranted.

The candies from "home" are just something extra.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, PrincessLuver said:

Cash over candy anytime….cash makes them feel good and candy makes you feel good….no comparison…..quit treating them like they are children….unless you are handing out boxes of Godiva chocolates!

Why not both? I tipped every hostess at dinner as well as servers, pizza server, barista, etc. They "acted like children" because they were happy to get a treat.

6 hours ago, bellagiio said:

I asked our steward if he needed anything from shore knowing the crew are not at present allowed shore leave. I was asked for a small pack of flavoured noodles! He was really missing them and was unable to get them on ship.

It took little effort to visit a supermarket whist ashore and purchase a few packets...our steward was very pleased. 

So if you want to give staff something extra why not ask them 

The best and most thoughtful post of the bunch. 

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, victory2020 said:

Why not both? I tipped every hostess at dinner as well as servers, pizza server, barista, etc. They "acted like children" because they were happy to get a treat.

I am not saying that you are not wonderful.........but have you ever noticed that almost all cruise crews are always happy and friendly.....it is called positive customer relationships....the word "treat" just sounds so gauche to me.  

I just do not think some Hershey's Kisses are really going to mean that much to crew versus something like $2.00 bills in a thank you note........

• Like 1

I’ve given out $2 bills.  A few crew members didn’t know what they were.  Some were reluctant to use them.  So stopped that.

I have asked my steward if there was anything he wanted from shore.  One told me a magnet since he hadn’t had a chance to get off at that port before.

On current cruise, I’ve asked steward and wait staff if they would like items from my mini bar.  Both appreciated the sodas and waters.  I took chocolate strawberry to share with MDR staff.  I “bought” a medical staff a cup of coffee from the IC.  I was taught to share in Kindergarten.  I offer, if they decline, that’s okay with me.  

I write personal thank you notes with a little bit extra at the end of my cruise.  

• Like 1

About 10 years ago, a crew member "friend" on Princess asked us if we could find him a Kobe Bryant t-shirt for his son and that he would reimburse us for the shirt.  He noticed that we were big Laker fans.  

Once we returned home, we sent his son a Laker "package" with hats, t-shirts and a jacket to his home in Portugal.  His son still sends us messages all the time and the crew member has become a very good friend.

• Like 9

34 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

I am not saying that you are not wonderful.........but have you ever noticed that almost all cruise crews are always happy and friendly.....it is called positive customer relationships....the word "treat" just sounds so gauche to me.  

I just do not think some Hershey's Kisses are really going to mean that much to crew versus something like $2.00 bills in a thank you note........

I used the word "treat" because of Halloween. They were bags of Halloween candy. Of course the crew are always happy, but if I can make them have some fun - all the better. I worked in food service for 40 years & loved when customers brought us goodies. 

14 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

We have made many crew "friends" over the years, they ALWAYS prefer cash no matter what they say to you when you give them candy.

They are even happier to get $$$$ plus candy... we even had some ask for candy when they knew we gave candy to other crew members.  

• Like 3