Iona delay

AndyMichelle

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

If P&O are expected to pay compensation for cutting the cruise short, should the folk who get an extra day cough up about more?.🤔

A refund of what is not supplied plus any associated costs is not compensation.  If the delay was the fault of the holiday company, which this is not, then compensation would be expected and would be awarded by a court if a case went that far in addition to those other costs.

The people who were on the cruise which should have finished yesterday are only entitled to any losses incurred by e.g. having to re book non refundable train fares, extra parking costs etc.  There is no other right to compensation for arriving back late as this was not an avoidable event.

Edited by tring

17 minutes ago, tring said:

A refund of what is not supplied plus any associated costs is not compensation.  If the delay was the fault of the holiday company, which this is not, then compensation would be expected and would be awarded by a court if a case went that far in addition to those other costs.

The people who were on the cruise which should have finished yesterday are only entitled to any losses incurred by e.g. having to re book non refundable train fares, extra parking costs etc.  There is no other right to compensation for arriving back late as this was not an avoidable event.

Its all part of the rough and tumble of everyday life. I think that if folk can't just accept it and take it on the chin, insure. Will the folk who get an extra day pay some more.?.

35 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Its all part of the rough and tumble of everyday life. I think that if folk can't just accept it and take it on the chin, insure. Will the folk who get an extra day pay some more.?.

So to scale up a bit (and not much for a mini cruise), does that mean you would not expect a refund for a cruise which had been cancelled due to COVID?

This is not really an insurance issue and would be a lot more hassle to claim from that (if they indeed were to pay up), than for a company to stand up to it's obligations to begin with and refund what has not been supplied.  Also ABTA cover only kicks in for cancelled cruises if the company supplying them has gone bust, not because a company decides not to bother refunding what they did not supply, even though it was not their fault cruises were cancelled.  

All the same thing, just a difference of scale, but I am sure holiday companies would have been very happy not to refund for cancelled cruises or that charities would be very happy to receive donations of money people had got back for cancelled cruises if they did not want to keep that cash.

Interesting Moley conceded that chargeback may be  successful as that would only redeem the lost cost (or portion of such), if the consumer has a legal right to that from the company who was paid.

Edited by tring

1 hour ago, tring said:

So to scale up a bit (and not much for a mini cruise), does that mean you would not expect a refund for a cruise which had been cancelled due to COVID?

This is not really an insurance issue and would be a lot more hassle to claim from that (if they indeed were to pay up), than for a company to stand up to it's obligations to begin with and refund what has not been supplied.  Also ABTA cover only kicks in for cancelled cruises if the company supplying them has gone bust, not because a company decides not to bother refunding what they did not supply, even though it was not their fault cruises were cancelled.  

All the same thing, just a difference of scale, but I am sure holiday companies would have been very happy not to refund for cancelled cruises or that charities would be very happy to receive donations of money people had got back for cancelled cruises if they did not want to keep that cash.

Interesting Moley conceded that chargeback may be  successful as that would only redeem the lost cost (or portion of such), if the consumer has a legal right to that from the company who was paid.

To be honest Tring, I would not be that bothered if a holiday was cut short, or extended by a day. We have done that ourselves on a number of occasions when weather conditions looked bad. Leaving early from the Alps, or booking an extra few days in the sunshine. In Spain this year we had contingency plans in place in case ' you know what ' regulations changed while we were away. If a holiday was cancelled by the holiday company a refund would be expected, but not compensation. If things changed and it meant a day less, or more We wouldn't be too bothered at all.

2 hours ago, zap99 said:

To be honest Tring, I would not be that bothered if a holiday was cut short, or extended by a day. We have done that ourselves on a number of occasions when weather conditions looked bad. Leaving early from the Alps, or booking an extra few days in the sunshine. In Spain this year we had contingency plans in place in case ' you know what ' regulations changed while we were away. If a holiday was cancelled by the holiday company a refund would be expected, but not compensation. If things changed and it meant a day less, or more We wouldn't be too bothered at all.

That is why P&O act like they do they hope the majority act in the same way instead of what is their legal rights. P&O try their hardest in all manners to reimburse or pay out as little as possible if at all until sometimes they are on the brink of legal action before they give way. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

That is why P&O act like they do they hope the majority act in the same way instead of what is their legal rights. P&O try their hardest in all manners to reimburse or pay out as little as possible if at all until sometimes they are on the brink of legal action before they give way. 

I am sure you are right. When I dealt with claims I paid out as little as possible and settled a few on the court room steps. In this case eliminating the agro is worth more to me than a few extra quid.

2 hours ago, zap99 said:

That’s fine for you Zap but not everyone shares your circumstances do they.

I live in a rural area so any holiday is a major undertaking with coordination of parking / hotels /bridges/ lengthy travel / flights etc. A day less is not so much of an issue but a day late is a major issue. 

Im sure others who are a day late have problems with their taxi / train/ flight / kennels etc. Don’t assume everyone lives the same life as you.😀

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I am sure you are right. When I dealt with claims I paid out as little as possible and settled a few on the court room steps. In this case eliminating the agro is worth more to me than a few extra quid.

Certainly does sound like P&O have no concern for looking good in a customer relations sense now, though any dealings we have had were from about 5 or so years ago now and times were very different.

Still sounds to us as though a section 75 claim would be the best way forward if we have any future problems and P&O made it obvious they were not going to uphold their responsibilities.  Given we would only be making a claim if DH knew that was our entitlement, the bank would pay out and then have to claim the cost back from P&O.  Easier than having to go to court for us though.

Overall, if we do have such problems with any company, it would make us think carefully about booking with them again, though I suspect with the right prices, the lack of our custom would not bother P&O one iota.  At least if we went through the section 75 route there would be no chance of being given a non disclosure clause, not that we would aggree to signing one anyway for something which we would be entitled to and we would not be expecting any more than that.

Edited by tring

5 hours ago, CarlaMarie said:

Does anybody know where you stand with CPS if your cruise gets cancelled? I cannot find anything on their website for this situation and our family hasn't had a cruise cancelled before. 

We got refund 4 some cancellations and transferred others 2 new bookings with CPS

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

Can't seem to be able to add text to photos, however it must still be stormy weather at sea, QM2 should be in Cherbourg today, and Iona ought to be heading for Vigo but is heading north.

As of now @1627 Iona has not been tracked ( on Marine traffic) for over 9 hours, she has been pointing the wrong way on the tracker the last 3 way points. it was the same on Fri in the same area inbound to Southampton.be interseting if she is returning though, we are on her on the 11th Dec.... maybe.

4 minutes ago, safathome said:

As of now @1627 Iona has not been tracked ( on Marine traffic) for over 9 hours, she has been pointing the wrong way on the tracker the last 3 way points. it was the same on Fri in the same area inbound to Southampton.be interseting if she is returning though, we are on her on the 11th Dec.... maybe.

11 minutes ago on vessel finder. 19.7kts, 210o heading for Vigo.

I'm not seeing anything untoward with Iona - here is her trail of the last 3 days 

27th 0020 - turing the corner by Brest heading for Southampton

28th 0020 - Closing in on Southampton

29th 0020 - left Southampton

29th 9 mins ago - see below 

iona.JPG

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I know someone currently on Iona, and he hasn't said that anything untoward is happening regarding the direction of travel

It’s a glitch with the software which shows the ship heading 180 deg from the true direction. It’s happened before and will no doubt happy again.

Brian

2 minutes ago, BrianI said:

It’s a glitch with the software which shows the ship heading 180 deg from the true direction. It’s happened before and will no doubt happy again.

Brian

Lets hope that the navigator has a decent compass and doesn't rely on some dodgy website🤣

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Lets hope that the navigator has a decent compass and doesn't rely on some dodgy website🤣

The Captain on our recent Princess cruise did a Q&A session.  He said that training was still given in the use of a sextant,  but if passengers ever saw one being used by a  crew member,  it was time to get very worried !  

• Haha 2