MDR dress for men on Caribbean cruises

poindexter

I’ve read on a couple of threads that men were able to wear nice shorts, collared shirts, loafer type shoes when dining in the MDR. As we are starting to pack for an 11 night Southern Caribbean cruise, I’m wondering what others have experienced.  Thanks for sharing your observations, rather than opinions….

Just off Enchanted 10 day Carribean. I did see a few  men in nice shorts on  the first and last night.  Definitely the exception over the cruise though. Now my husband brought only nice jeans (seems he 'forgot' his dress pants) so that is what he wore with a collared shirt. We dd not eat in the dining room on formal nights. 

The first and last nights are a bit different because luggage might not have arrived (first night) or most things have been packed and picked up by crew (last night).  I have never seen shorts in MDR other than at breakfast or lunch. You are sure to get folks replying here that you can wear whatever you like and anybody who doesn't like it can just go to heck. I'll make this post and then likely leave things alone to go sideways like dress code threads always do.

The Princess "rules" regarding dress are identical whether you are cruising the Caribbean, cruising above the Arctic Circle, etc. You can find the "rules" on the Princess web site. You will find this sign posted outside the dining room:

image.png.54016ab03200512af337139c48d104a0.png

This sign was posted outside the MDR on Coral Princess the last time we sailed on that ship. This was a Mexico and Panama Canal cruise.

image.thumb.png.3876e36ec0546105aa221cd613946a86.png

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, poindexter said:

I’ve read on a couple of threads that men were able to wear nice shorts, collared shirts, loafer type shoes when dining in the MDR. As we are starting to pack for an 11 night Southern Caribbean cruise, I’m wondering what others have experienced.  Thanks for sharing your observations, rather than opinions….

Shorts were allowed on first and last nights on basis of packing and unpacking as mentioned above.

In theory, shorts are not allowed other nights.  But it seems that is being let go on recent voyages.  Who knows if a trend or just a temporary slacking since guests have to be masked a lot of the time and have other Covid protocols.  Princess may not get the genie back in the bottle.

Dress nice for dinner like on land and you won't have any issues - even on formal nights.  Now called Dress to Impress on one ship so far.

• Like 2

Yes, Princess does have their dress codes printed outside the DR but in recent years I've seen dress shorts being worn on casual evenings other than the first & last nights. Just about any decent shirt will do.... polo, long sleeve and even T shirts. 

Princess is no where's as formal as they used to be. Perhaps it's just the new norm on certain ships?

He'll have to see for himself if they'll let him wear them. I can't see why not since once seated on one can see your legs anyway.

• Like 1

I have seen shorts on men in the MDR on non-formal nights in the Caribbean as well as t-shirts.  I wear black jeans and a guayabera on formal nights.  It is up to the staff in the MDR to determine what is and is not accepted and they are getting more and more informal.  I have also seen hats both ball type and other worn in the MDR while eating.  I wear athletic shoes all the time due to foot problems and old age and never had a problem.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Thrak said:

The first and last nights are a bit different because luggage might not have arrived (first night) or most things have been packed and picked up by crew (last night).  I have never seen shorts in MDR other than at breakfast or lunch. You are sure to get folks replying here that you can wear whatever you like and anybody who doesn't like it can just go to heck. I'll make this post and then likely leave things alone to go sideways like dress code threads always do.

The Princess "rules" regarding dress are identical whether you are cruising the Caribbean, cruising above the Arctic Circle, etc. You can find the "rules" on the Princess web site. You will find this sign posted outside the dining room:

image.png.54016ab03200512af337139c48d104a0.png

This sign was posted outside the MDR on Coral Princess the last time we sailed on that ship. This was a Mexico and Panama Canal cruise.

image.thumb.png.3876e36ec0546105aa221cd613946a86.png

And how many other ships have this posted for all to read?  And the Code is only as effective as it is enforced by those who post it. This will be a never ending discussion with no foreseeable solution. A nice pair of pants and a dress shirt will get you in to any MDR on a Princess ship on any noght.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Yes, Princess does have their dress codes printed outside the DR but in recent years I've seen dress shorts being worn on casual evenings other than the first & last nights. Just about any decent shirt will do.... polo, long sleeve and even T shirts. 

Princess is no where's as formal as they used to be. Perhaps it's just the new norm on certain ships?

He'll have to see for himself if they'll let him wear them. I can't see why not since once seated on one can see your legs anyway.

Since i have been cruising since the middle 90's,I believe a lot of this started to change when the Airlines got greedy with bag fees...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mpdog42 said:

Since i have been cruising since the middle 90's,I believe a lot of this started to change when the Airlines got greedy with bag fees...

this and some  that just can't fit into that suit coat we used to wear in the 90's 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just off a cruise to Mexico (very warm weather in ports).  Did not see any shorts in the dining room for dinner.

On formal nights I have not brought a sport coat or suit for years.  I just wear pants with a long sleeve dress shirt.  

Just off Sky Princess and most men wore casual slacks with a polo or short sleeve shirt.  All sorts of footwear.  On formal night some older men had tuxedos but they looked out of place.  Saw a kilt or two as well.  The vast majority of men had only a sport coat and tie.  I don’t recall seeing shorts in MDR at all.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bgwest said:

And so opines the OLD guard who can always be counted on to tell it like it was. 

Don't know about that but I have seen people turned away from the MDR in the past.

One thing with the new systems is that there are several people at the entrance to the dining room, unlike pre covid when there was maybe one person there.  On the Majestic there was two people one checking reservations, one processing others.  Behind them there was the head waiter and two other staff.  As well as all of the waiters leading people to the tables.  So not much chance for someone to just walk in without someone noticing.

Saw plenty of people wearing shorts during the day, but none  in the main dining room in shorts.  Did see shorts up in World Fresh Market. on this last cruise.

7 hours ago, nocl said:

Don't know about that but I have seen people turned away from the MDR in the past.

One thing with the new systems is that there are several people at the entrance to the dining room, unlike pre covid when there was maybe one person there.  On the Majestic there was two people one checking reservations, one processing others.  Behind them there was the head waiter and two other staff.  As well as all of the waiters leading people to the tables.  So not much chance for someone to just walk in without someone noticing.

Saw plenty of people wearing shorts during the day, but none  in the main dining room in shorts.  Did see shorts up in World Fresh Market. on this last cruise.

It sounds like you're inferring that with having more people manning the doors they'll be no one charging the doorway to gain entrance. 😄

Yes, some ships do have a enforce more stringent dress code but it's still a relaxed one compared to what their web site will have you believe.

It all depends on what the Maître D' demands of his staff and from my experience it's been more relaxed as the years go by. 

• Like 1

I've never understood why Princess doesn't resolve all this sturm and drang over formal wear. The solution is simple and obvious.

There are three MDRs. Give one or two of them over to strict formal wear requirements and leave the other as casual wear. Adjust the ratio according to demand.

Voila, everybody happy.

Why force the tastes and preferences of one group onto another group when it's not necessary?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, SinbadThePorter said:

I've never understood why Princess doesn't resolve all this sturm and drang over formal wear. The solution is simple and obvious.

There are three MDRs. Give one or two of them over to strict formal wear requirements and leave the other as casual wear. Adjust the ratio according to demand.

Voila, everybody happy.

Why force the tastes and preferences of one group onto another group when it's not necessary?

Very interesting solution set.

Cheers

Voila, everybody happy.

Has been suggested many times over recent years.  I am thinking they could not fill an entire restaurant with "strict formal wear requirements" based on recent time participation rates. 

They can't get things working as well as before with the new DMW feature so adding in yet another variable to the equation spells trouble.

• Like 1

Voila, everybody happy.

😄 I can see it now. segregation do to attire requirements. Head lines reads " family members  offended by having to be separated because dad wanted to wear his tux and junior didn't want to wear long pants "

Edited by c-boy

41 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

If that's the case, then there probably isn't much point in formal nights at all.

Your point is spot on. 

One would be hard pressed to get anyone at Princess Corporate to admit that the only true reason “formal night” still exists is to sell photographs. 

Too few of the OLD guard left to justify any meaningful participation. 

• Like 5