Viking Ocean impressions from a lifelong Celebrity cruiser

spryder

21 hours ago, MissDaisyRI said:

The brown cheese (gjost or something like that in Norwegian) is there at Mamsen's -- it's the caramel colored tube shaped thing on top of your waffle.

Sadly, it most definitely wasn't there on our December cruise on board Viking Star.  Asked multiple times for the brown cheese and got confused shrugs from the staff each time.

11 hours ago, spryder said:

Sadly, it most definitely wasn't there on our December cruise on board Viking Star.  Asked multiple times for the brown cheese and got confused shrugs from the staff each time.

It's not that wonderful unless you're a Norwegian and don't know any better. Kind of like lingonberries.

• Haha 2

We have completed 2 Oceania and 3 Viking Ocean cruises.  We prefer the smaller number of guest on the VO ships. 

We found the food on Oceania good but boring.  Lots of cream sauces and nothing spicy.

We were excited to see build your Tacos for on the lunch buffet. Unfortunately the chicken and beef were grilled with onions but no spices.  Topping included chopped tomatoes, lettuce, cheddar cheese,  diced green sweet bell peppers and tomato sauce.  NO CHILIES or other Mexican spices.  The Chef explained that on a cruise they could not offer anything spicy because people did not like spicy foods.

If Oceania has changed the type of food, please post.  Oceania does offer several cruises we would consider booking.

On 1/7/2022 at 12:47 PM, duquephart said:

It's not that wonderful unless you're a Norwegian and don't know any better. Kind of like lingonberries.

Just for fun, since we are being lighthearted, I looked up Minneapolis's 10 best restaurants !  I would have a hard time deciding from the numerous gourmet offerings.  Having said that Norwegian cuisine would not be my favourite either.

7 hours ago, MSEm said:

We found the food on Oceania good but boring.  Lots of cream sauces and nothing spicy. ... The Chef explained that on a cruise they could not offer anything spicy because people did not like spicy foods.

For that reason alone, I'm staying away from Oceania.  DW and I both LOVE spicy food.

On 1/4/2022 at 2:17 PM, spryder said:

We have our first Oceania cruise booked for early 2023... would love to know how you would compare Viking and Oceania.  We've heard different stories from different folks, some prefer Viking over O, and others are the other way round.

We have done several Viking River & Ocean cruises( and love them all).  Did Oceania Riveria, B2B Athens to Venice, Venice to Barcelona.  I felt Oceania's food was far superior, especially w/their speciality restaurants and their equivalent of the World Cafe - much better sushi & you can always order larger shrimp. lobster tails, lamb chops, steaks on their grill line.  I did not care for Oceania's main dining room so we only ate there once.  However, we much prefer Viking's ships, afternoon tea, the spa areas, excursions, logistics, etc.  We really feel that we are taken care of from once we leave the plane to embarkation & for disembarkation.  However,  I would not rule out cruising w/ Oceania if there was an itinerary that we are interested in.  

@spryder Thank you for this honest and fair review. We are Elite+ on X and usually sail in the retreat as it is a perfect fit for us. We just tried Seabourn but it was just too small so are thinking of trying Viking. 

We are on the younger end so was hoping for a little more of a mixed age group but it’s not a deal breaker as we are happy there are no kids 😊. Hopefully they have the crew and service issues resolved by the end of the year. 

We do like going to the production shows and guest entertainers each night but are aware entertainment is not a strong point of Viking. 

Thabks again, this was very helpful. 

4 hours ago, WNcruiser said:

@spryder Thank you for this honest and fair review. We are Elite+ on X and usually sail in the retreat as it is a perfect fit for us. We just tried Seabourn but it was just too small so are thinking of trying Viking. 

We are on the younger end so was hoping for a little more of a mixed age group but it’s not a deal breaker as we are happy there are no kids 😊. Hopefully they have the crew and service issues resolved by the end of the year. 

We do like going to the production shows and guest entertainers each night but are aware entertainment is not a strong point of Viking. 

It's not really accurate to say entertainment is not a strong point of Viking, it's not what they're about. Viking emphasises the guest lecturers as much if not more than the musicians. The atmosphere on board is similar to a 4*or 5* hotel. 

11 hours ago, WNcruiser said:

The entertainment options may not suit fans of Behomoth of the Seas, Gargantuan Princess and the other mega ships, but as your typical Viking passengers we find Viking's entire entertainment options much more to our interests and liking than glitzy mega ships.

Even spending almost 100 days on a ship, we were impressed with the variety and quality of the onboard entertainment team and most of the guest entertainers brought on board.

In addition to the standard shows, the Cruise Director and his staff produced a number of individual performances, as the Cruise Director and A/Cruise Director were also performers. I note that this is a pre-requisite for employment with Viking. With almost 40 yrs with Princess, I never saw a Cruise Director, or A/C/Dir that were actually able to perform a quality show, other than "If I were not upon the sea, a ....... I would be"

Yes, Viking don't have marriage games, wacky pools games, etc. but we aren't interested in them anyway.

I would say that Viking know their preferred customer base and tailor the product to meet those expectations. The mega ships are also trying to appeal to this segment of the industry, with the suites and ship within a ship concept, but frankly we aren't interested, as once you leave the special area, you enter the sea of humanity.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

As newly orphaned Crystal cruisers after 13 cruises we are beginning our research to find a new line.  This thread was very helpful.  One specific question, is there a designated smoking area on Viking and Celebrity ships?  I know, I know....but one of us has the habit. 🙂 

Yes for both Viking and Celebrity. 

On the Viking its s up on deck 8.

Celebrity,  I think  it is above the pool deck on the older ships. It has been awhile since I have been on Celebrity. 

I have been following the saga on Crystal Forum!!!!! 

Dip your toes in  one of the  Viking  pools, you will find a new ship , great service, tasty  food, informative lectures ,and friendly fellow passengers and crew. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, rsewell2 said:

As newly orphaned Crystal cruisers after 13 cruises we are beginning our research to find a new line.  This thread was very helpful.  One specific question, is there a designated smoking area on Viking and Celebrity ships?  I know, I know....but one of us has the habit. 🙂 

Congratulations on migrating to the Viking Board during your research on finding a new cruise line - welcome.

Further to Azulann's post, up on Dk 8, it is just aft of midships on the stbd side. It is a covered area, with padded outdoor seats and tables. It is accessed from the aft stairs/lifts.

Regarding some of the posts on the Crystal Board regarding experience on Viking. It is well known that when Viking resumed operations with all 6 ships they had to start many new crew, as many of the previous crews had found other contracted employment during the shut-down. Some of the previous crew will be returning to Viking over the next few months.

Pre-COVID, Viking's crew retention rate was over 94%, which is exceptional in the industry, since they have some of the best terms & conditions for crew members.

Can't comment on Celebrity, as I have only been aboard their ships in port, as a Contractor.

• Like 2

Thank you for this thread. We have one Viking Ocean booked, but are finding the Australia/New Zealand journey to be a great itinerary and want to to book. 31 days a a big commitment when you haven't cruised on a line before. 

We are potential first time Viking cruisers. Our preference has long been Celebrity aqua class  (love Blu) on Solstice Class ships. Edge class has a little too much "over-the-topness" for us.

We're considering the British Isles in 2023 for our 50th anniversary and we'll have a bunch of questions.

Based on the age demographic that has been mentioned, can we assume that there are shore excursions which allow for moderate mobility issues (no wheelchair needed, but some difficulty with long walks, stairs, hills, uneven surfaces)?

We don't need (or even like) production shows with flashing lights and loud music. Perfectly happy with a string quartet, a piano player, a guitarist... Again, it appears that Viking will work.

We have usually had "hump" staterooms on Solstice Class ships. How will a DV stateroom compare?

As always, we appreciate all the help we get from Cruise Critic members!

12 minutes ago, lel5344 said:

We are potential first time Viking cruisers. Our preference has long been Celebrity aqua class  (love Blu) on Solstice Class ships. Edge class has a little too much "over-the-topness" for us.

We're considering the British Isles in 2023 for our 50th anniversary and we'll have a bunch of questions.

Based on the age demographic that has been mentioned, can we assume that there are shore excursions which allow for moderate mobility issues (no wheelchair needed, but some difficulty with long walks, stairs, hills, uneven surfaces)?

We don't need (or even like) production shows with flashing lights and loud music. Perfectly happy with a string quartet, a piano player, a guitarist... Again, it appears that Viking will work.

We have usually had "hump" staterooms on Solstice Class ships. How will a DV stateroom compare?

Music wise, Viking is a good fit, the excursions are labelled as easy, moderate or strenuous. 

All the Viking ocean ships are the same, you just need to look at the info to see about room sizes and facilities, or if laundry included. 

I love Viking Ocean.  But I find many of the included excursions in the Caribbean to be mediocre.  Also, if you take the included excursions, fitting in an optional excursion within the time frame can be challenging.  I found the optional excursions to be so much better that I would forgo the included excursions that I paid for and pay extra for one of the optional excursions.

River cruises are different.  I found the quality of the included excursions on the river cruises to be well worth it.

Edited by basenji56
  • Thanks 1

On 2/4/2022 at 4:37 PM, lel5344 said:

We don’t like flashy production shows, either. That said, we also weren’t fans of Viking’s shows, with the notable exceptions of the local talent featured at the beginning and end of our cruise (a Spanish group, and a Norwegian violinist, both excellent). The rest centered on show tunes and music from groups like Abba and the Beatles, not our cuppa. 

We very much enjoyed the small groups and solo musicians scattered throughout the ship, usually in the evenings. Since you like string quartets and piano/guitar music, I suggest seeking these out in the Living Room or Explorer’s Lounge. 

We are about to embark on our very first Viking cruise. One of the things we appreciate on X cruises is the low level lighting at night in the bathrooms. Do the Viking ships have this or should I pack some of our 'nightlights'?