Arrival Day Before Good Enough These Days?

Julma

We are on a B2B on the Apex out of FLL on January 22nd.  Right now we are flying JetBlue from Boston on the 21st.  We did not go through Celebrity because we had points we wanted to use.  Rethinking to book a flight out on the 20th and go through Celebrity.  Am I overthinking/planning/worrying?

IMHO with all the flight cancellations these days, plus the potential of winter weather, I definitely only go in no less than 2 days ahead.  Keep in mind if a flight is cancelled due to shortage of staff, you may not be able to get on one for a couple of days.  Then good-bye cruise.  The bad part is that can make getting your test more complicated, although the proctored online tests help with that.

19 minutes ago, Julma said:

We are on a B2B on the Apex out of FLL on January 22nd.  Right now we are flying JetBlue from Boston on the 21st.  We did not go through Celebrity because we had points we wanted to use.  Rethinking to book a flight out on the 20th and go through Celebrity.  Am I overthinking/planning/worrying?

Keep checking your flights with Jet Blue from Boston.  We were scheduled to fly January 8th on Jet Blue direct flight 6:55 AM.  Jet Blue cancelled that flight we are now flying Jet Blue from Boston to JFK, JFK to Fort Lauderdale. I was on the phone twice with Jet Blue the 1st time the hold time was 65 minutes and the 2nd time I was on hold 90 minutes got the issues straighten out. Luckily Jet Blue took care of the issues.

29 minutes ago, Julma said:

I literally just flew back to Boston this morning after spending 5 weeks with a friend in San Diego.  My original flight was Sunday, after 3 different departure time adjustments, they finally cancelled the flight at 11pm.  Pretty much the same on Monday for the re-scheduled flight.  They re-booked me on a flight for 8:35pm on Tuesday, re-scheduled to 9:05, then 9:35 and then 11:35pm.  I went to the airport anyway, early as if for my original time and glad I did.  They then re-scheduled our SD departure for 10:15pm.  This was absolutely no fault of JetBlue (I got a $200 credit for each of the first two flight cancellations) staff are calling out sick like in so many other businesses.  Only reason I am even posting is to please really consider flying in a few days before, not just one day.  If this is still going on and you can't get the flight, you will lose your cruise $.  Good luck though!

Flights by celebrity charges a $200 fee if you want to change flights so keep that in mind.  Almost all airlines do not charge change fees if you book directly with them and do not book the basic economy.  Assuming favorable redemption rates with jetblue, if you elect to fly in a day earlier, I would still use jetblue.  I would also consider the costs of a hotel, food and activities for the extra night if that's an important factor.

• Like 1

We were flying in 1 day ahead this weekend, but after last weekend, switched to the day before. We have refundable tickets and proctored tests ready to go. If things look bad early Saturday, we get in the car and drive south and arrive Sunday afternoon in plenty of time. The bad part will be a 2 day drive back north after a relaxing cruise.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

The cost of one additional hotel night and 3 meals is pretty small compared to the cost of a cruise; especially when you then have a day to explore the area where you are departing.

But going by that logic, why not fly in three nights before or why not four nights before?  I hold nothing against anyone who wants to fly in early for whatever reason, I personally think a night before for a domestic cruise is fine.  I flew home for XMas, both my United flights to and from were canceled yet the airline worked with me and got me to my destination on a later flight and I was able to fly back a day later.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Julma said:

Since Jet Blue, United and Delta seem to be the main culprits, I would try to avoid them.  Since you're looking at Boston to FLL, there are 8 non stops per day, 4 on JB,  2 on Spirit and 1 each on Delta and American.   The American flight is at 600 pm and for the 20th is 138 for standard coach and 343 for first.  I would deposit the Jet Blue points back into your account and go with this one.

8 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

But going by that logic, why not fly in three nights before or why not four nights before?  I hold nothing against anyone who wants to fly in early for whatever reason, I personally think a night before for a domestic cruise is fine.  I flew home for XMas, both my United flights to and from were canceled yet the airline worked with me and got me to my destination on a later flight and I was able to fly back a day later.

It all depends on how many non stops there are and the timing of those flights.  The flights I just checked for the OP are on Spirit, which I would never fly, and Jet Blue and Delta, who are cancelling many flights.  The lone non stop is at 600 pm on American.  If that flight has problems, you're now scrambling so the better option is fly in the day before. You were able to get a later flight, but if the flight you're on is the later flight, you're stuck.

Of course you could look into options flying into MIA as well.  There could be a friday am nonstop.

6 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

Since Jet Blue, United and Delta seem to be the main culprits, I would try to avoid them.  Since you're looking at Boston to FLL, there are 8 non stops per day, 4 on JB,  2 on Spirit and 1 each on Delta and American.   The American flight is at 600 pm and for the 20th is 138 for standard coach and 343 for first.  I would deposit the Jet Blue points back into your account and go with this one.

That is the one Celebrity was giving me as a choice.  

40 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Sorry, I don't follow that logic.  Of course, to be extra sure you could fly in a month before right.  The point is that even one extra day gives you some leeway with flights cancelling right and left.  FYI, they said on the news here in Chicago that many people whose flights were cancelled couldn't get another flight to their destination for a couple of days.  Granted, that was at Christmas time but still.  You got lucky, plain and simple.  I would not want to bet a $5000+ vacation on luck.  But that's just me.  

• Like 2

We just booked a pre  cruise hotel and Frontier Air..1 day ahead for a Nov cruise.from Pt Ev.  Paid extra for flexible no penalty change/cancellation options..if neeeded.

We have been out of the testing issues these days  and forgot about testing til reading this thread

What tests are accepted  by Celebrity and how soon before  the cruise must we have a test.  Right now..not  easy to get in NY. Can we use a  home test kit?

We're using United miles to fly non-stop from Houston to Ft Laud.  So no cancellation fees, just get our miles back.

We've just changed from early morning flight on same debark day, to mid-day One day before, so there's at least another non-stop flight later that day.

Think one day early is perfect, since if one of us tested Positive 2 days early, we can cancel everything & stay at home in comfort...

I had never used Celebrity Flights before, but with everything going on I have used then on my November and my upcoming Feb. cruises just for the piece of mind that they will help me if I have a problem. The cost was the same as if I booked direct with the airline.

For those of us still working and with limited vacation days I still fly in either late the night before, or the morning of our sailing.  Then again, I book 10:00 AM flights home too.... I enjoy the challenge.  😰

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Am glad you were able to get to your destination soon after your scheduled time.  For the next few weeks many airlines are cancelling flights and weather can intervene.   I think you miss the problem that many who live near smaller airports require three flights to get to Florida with often only one or two flights a day per destination.  Miss the early one and you arrive a day later.  Add in a cancellation and??

The biggest hurdle to flying in 2 days ahead is the required covid test 2 days ahead. If you plan on using home tests it matters a bit less, but it would make any other administered test more complicated. I personally have a strong preference to take the covid test before I leave home, so that would limit flying in extra early. Yes, 1 night hotel and extra meals is a small price to pay for the peace of mind. But getting stuck in the departure city for a 10 day quarantine would be a high price to pay.

• Like 2

How about this for a strategy for making your Plan B, since you have some airline points.  This was suggested by the "Points Guy" during a CNBC interview.   First go ahead and book a flight using your credit card.  Book a later flight with your points.  If the first flight goes, great.  Cancel your award flight as you board the aircraft, most airlines allow same day cancellation and the miles to be redeposited without penalty.  If they cancel the first flight apply for the refund and take the second flight that you have booked.  Perhaps this approach would make you feel more comfortable.

3 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

How about this for a strategy for making your Plan B, since you have some airline points.  This was suggested by the "Points Guy" during a CNBC interview.   First go ahead and book a flight using your credit card.  Book a later flight with your points.  If the first flight goes, great.  Cancel your award flight as you board the aircraft, most airlines allow same day cancellation and the miles to be redeposited without penalty.  If they cancel the first flight apply for the refund and take the second flight that you have booked.  Perhaps this approach would make you feel more comfortable.

Poor advice from TPG. This is particularly risky on Southwest. They will cancel duplicate tickets for same day/same city pair travel. 

• Like 1